The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What period of gay history would you like to discuss first?

The fifties and sixties - before Stonewall
9 (50%)
Early Gay Liberation 1969 - 1975
2 (11.1%)
Political awakening 1975 - 1981
0 (0%)
The onset of AIDS 1981 - 1996
6 (33.3%)
Post Protease Inhibitors 1996 - Present
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 24, 2007, 01:59:08 AM

Author Topic: Gay History -- How We Got Here  (Read 436973 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay History -- How We Got Here
« Reply #1830 on: May 13, 2022, 01:30:02 PM »
My real concern about it is in writing. I think it can, and does, cause confusion. It makes you have to stop and think who the writer is talking about. I was always taught that readers should not have to do that. There are work-arounds, but they can be awkward. Adding the parenthetical "( who uses [prefers] the pronoun "they")" can be inelegant. My concern with the writing is clarity.[/font][/size]

Indeed it is difficult, and I just dealt with it yesterday. I work with someone who identifies as non-binary and when writing to people who don't know that person I find myself using their name a lot and doing odd sentence constructions. I guess what I would say is that I'm willing to put up with a little discomfort on my part to make the other person comfortable. I like this co-worker a lot, they're very smart and helpful, and I want a good working relationship with them.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1831 on: May 13, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
Also, to be completely honest, I kind of identify with the non-binary crowd. I have never felt "totally male" and in the 70s that was expressed through androgyny and after that by "gender bending." Although I am really at odds with all the word policing. I have always found it hilarious when I'm misgendered by someone in public. It embarrasses them more than it does me.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1832 on: May 25, 2022, 04:57:33 PM »
"On May 25, 1895, Oscar Wilde was taken to prison. He spent the first several months at Londonís Pentonville Prison, where he was put to work picking oakum. Oakum was a substance used to seal gaps in shipbuilding. Prisoners spent hours untwisting and teasing apart recycled ropes to obtain the fibers used in making oakum."

https://www.history.com/topics/gay-rights/oscar-wilde-trial

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1833 on: Yesterday at 01:25:39 PM »

Thoughts? Opinions?

1776 Is Coming Back to Broadway
The pre-Broadway run is now in previews at American Repertory Theater
by Zachary Stewart | May 25, 2022

This musical tale of the Declaration of Independence will feature a company of female, nonbinary, and trans actors.

https://www.theatermania.com/boston-theater/news/1776-is-coming-back-to-broadway-heres-a-first-look_93835.html

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1834 on: Yesterday at 05:26:16 PM »
"On May 25, 1895, Oscar Wilde was taken to prison. He spent the first several months at Londonís Pentonville Prison, where he was put to work picking oakum. Oakum was a substance used to seal gaps in shipbuilding. Prisoners spent hours untwisting and teasing apart recycled ropes to obtain the fibers used in making oakum."

https://www.history.com/topics/gay-rights/oscar-wilde-trial

Picking oakum was the meaning of the sentence of hard labour.