The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: When you receive your book...  (Read 69959 times)

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
Re: When you receive your book...
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »
Great to see that two Brits have received the book today.  Nothing here yet so I will try to keep my chin up!
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline ChrisW

• Ma Untwist
  • Obsessed
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2007, 06:45:32 AM »
Great to see that two Brits have received the book today.  Nothing here yet so I will try to keep my chin up!
- definitely worth the wait! - the waiting was getting to me though...

Offline conny

• seagirl
  • Obsessed
    • forthejoyoflife
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »
my two copies arrived today here in the netherlands,thanks to linda  :-* who send them to me.
i was taking a nap when the mailmen woke me up,and i immideatly knew what is was,didnt expect anything else.although i only slept for half an hour and really needed my nap,i was wide awake and couldnt sleep anymore.
had to take a first look and wow it looks so great,to finally have it in my hands. and realizing i actually worked on the book as well,never have done something like this,and now even some of my words are IN a book,amazing!  ;)
wont have much time to read the upcoming days,but we`re having a long weekend ahead of us,so i will read it then.feels good too,while the others are in denver i have my brokeback memories  :)
"we are one,but we are not the same"   U2

Offline TwistsBitch

• Obsessed
  • you inspired me
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Got my copies in the UK at the weekend & the cards from KittyHawk too - thank you  :)The book is so well produced.  I feel very moved when handling it to think of the emotional investment it represents.
Welcome to Hotel Brokeback! You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

I rip my heart open / I sew myself shut / My weakness is / That I care too much / My scars remind me / That my past is real / I rip my heart open / Just to feel  Nietzsche

Offline Jacksgal

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »

I'm almost finished reading the book.  What a wonderful thing!  Reading about others experiences makes me laugh and cry.  It's hard to believe that one movie can change so many people...Brokeback is a miracle movie!  Thank you everyone for sharing such personal feelings and journeys.   :)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2007, 12:44:14 AM »
i started reading the book on the flights up to sort out my mother's apartment. i figured i would just read a few stories to pass the time.  i nearly finished it just getting here, and i don't think i would recommend public reading.  i thought it would be a stroll down memory lane, but it turns out the effect is cumulative, and i had to hold back tears, or wipe them away many times.

now i really can't wait to have some dear friends read it,  the better to understand my life, and what brokeback means to me.

nice work, crew; and great sharing folks.

jack

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:57:44 AM by jack »
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline john john

• Obsessed
  • Ennis, admit it,you're falling in love.
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »
I just got one of my copies!!!!! (does anybody know if Wingspan sends hardcovers and softcovers separately?)

I must say I'm impressed. It looks first class. It's beautifully typeset, the illustrations have an eerie, dreamy quality. the cover of course is gorgeous. Wingspan did a great job putting it together.
I have only praise for all involved in it's making.

This just has to be one of the most unusual and original books about any movie. That a group of gentle strangers from all over the world  feel the urge to make it is such a fitting testimony of how precious and exceptionnal Brokeback Mountain is.

Now I have to find the courage to read it.

Having to hide your love is denying it.

Offline Junior

• Experienced
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
Well, it was a good day at the mailbox. I got a package I was waiting for that I will need in Alberta this summer and I got my book!

I've only flipped through the pages so far but it looks just wonderful. Thank you to everyone who saw this through to the end.

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
I received mine today. A day before I leave for my trip to BBQ in Denver.

It's so beautiful...it looks beautiful but it feels even more beautiful.

Thank you all
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2007, 11:37:48 AM »
I'm so glad the books are finally reaching everyone. We still have one pending delivery in South Africa and one in Sweden.

- KH

Offline mouk

• Obsessed
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »
I received today. Beautiful, beautiful job as I have already said on another thread.

Only because you asked (so that the next edition is absolutely perfect) here is a typo:
P.35 (Michael Perkins): psosts instead of posts

Also I feel that there is not need to show editorial corrections between [] unless the editors had to make a wild guess at what the author meant (but presumably all the authors can be contacted to check what they meant and to agree with the final version of their text?).

I will report if I find more, only to help, not to criticise.

Again, thank you for this superb book.

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2007, 03:51:10 PM »
That is a help, mouk. Thanks.

-KH

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2007, 06:13:19 AM »
Still no book delivery for me.... :'(

Maybe mine are going the long way round the world?!
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2007, 07:36:26 AM »
Oh, dear!   :-[

Bliss, if it doesn't come in 3 or 4 more days, let me know and we'll figure out the best way to check on it.

Actually, I know a sure fire way to guarantee its delivery! If I put another book in the mail to you, then the book you ordered would arrive at the same time!  :D

- KH

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2007, 10:50:59 AM »
That is a help, mouk. Thanks.

-KH
not to flog a dead horse, but i quite agree with mouk, there were far more editorial insertions than were needed, and they jarred the flow.  i wonder if perhaps some were standing in for an ellipsis, my favorite punctuation...

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."