The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: When you receive your book...  (Read 70262 times)

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
Re: When you receive your book...
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 08:59:46 PM »
No delivery here yet in northern Virginia, either.  :'(

Sorry for you, Fritz, because this northern Virginian received his copy in today's (Tuesday's) mail, and it was sent media mail.

Very beautiful and professional production - you would never guess to look at it that it was a privately produced book.
Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 12:25:27 PM »
The beginning of March I asked a friend of mine to order the book online  for me as he has a paypal account and I do not.  He agreed to do so.  He had the book delivered to himself, however, and I got a call that he got it.  He, of course, was looking at it and was quite impressed.  He said:  "I didn't know it was going to be anything quite like this!"  He began teasing me with it over the phone as well.  It was late at night so I had to wait a day to get it!  He says he wasn't through looking at it so I suggested he should buy one for himself and that I'd autograph it free of charge.  LOL!

Sometimes I get a book and delve into it and want to read it quickly--all at once.  I Just have to have it all in my head as soon as possible.  Sometimes I like to draw it out, like a glass of wine.  Read a bit each day.  Sip it.  Savor it.  Last evening I began looking at it and knew that this one I was going to savor.  That thing to look forward to each day for awhile. 

I first approached it like a pond on a cold day.  Took off my shoe.  Dipped my toe in the water to see how cold it was.  Slowly waded in--getting deeper and deeper until the water begins to envelop you and suddenly you're there.  The water now feels warm and you don't want to emerge from it cause you know it'll be cold once again.  So you stay there awhile.
Lingering...

I'll be lingering in that water for many days to come...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 12:30:10 PM »
P.S.:  Did I say "GREAT JOB EVERYBODY"!

Kudos to everyone involved and all of your extensive work on this project.

Offline Monica LoveEmBoys

• Slash Fan
  • Obsessed
  • Love them
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »
Lyle -- LOL to your friend hanging on to your book!  Great way to get the word out - ask a friend to order it for you!

But hear hear to the wanting to savor the book -- that was my inclination as well.

Monica

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
Beautifully said, Lyle.

HEy, folks, I have a very nice stash of business cards and postcards. The graphic is a version of the book cover. If you can think of some ways to let other people know about the book, just PM me with your name, address, and how many you want. (Up to 5 postcards and 20 business cards for free!)

Ideas that others have come up with include slipping a business card into an Annie Proulx (or other appropriate) library book, leaving a small stack on the counter at your gym, using one as a bookmark, handing them out at your book club, wearing one on your shirt pocket, etc., etc.

This offer is also good for our friends overseas - not just here in the US.

- KittyHawk

Offline nova

• Experienced
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 05:08:20 PM »
Hello All

I just received my copies of one hardcover and one softcover in San Francisco. I originally ordered them on 28 March 2007.

I have NOT received my copies of one hardcover and three softcovers in Virginia.  I originally ordered them on 8 March 2007???

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:47 PM »
Nothing here yet either. 3 softcovers.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »
I received my copies on Monday, but because of company, I did nothing more than skim the book, til this evening. I read the dust cover, the credits, the introduction, the first 74 pages...

I thought, because I had edited soooo many of the stories, that I would be immune to it's effects.  I was wrong.  What I have read so far is such a powerful statement that I am somehow at a loss for words...me, do you believe that?    ;)

I am so in love with everyone who took part in this project, who made this "thing created by a committee" into such a work of art. I'm proud to be associated with it. 

"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
I did find two small errors.  On the back inside flap of the hardcover dustjacket, a comment is made:  "members gave over 30,000 to place a full page ad..."  No monetary type is stated.  $, lira, whatever.

Also, on page xii, Fritz's city of residence, Arlington, is misspelled.  Small fixes...
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2007, 07:10:37 PM »
I did find two small errors.  On the back inside flap of the hardcover dustjacket, a comment is made:  "members gave over 30,000 to place a full page ad..."  No monetary type is stated.  $, lira, whatever.

Also, on page xii, Fritz's city of residence, Arlington, is misspelled.  Small fixes...

Thanks, Jackie. Even though they're small errors, we want to make it perfect for the next edition!

Anyone else find things we should correct?

-KH

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2007, 07:36:19 PM »

Uh-oh!  :D

(county of residence)  ;D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:54 PM »
Thanks Heidi!!! :-*

Lydia,
I found one on my quote, pg. 134, in my profile.
"She usees Killersmom as her screen name".

Will let you know if there are more as I read. Probably no more.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2007, 08:33:50 PM »
Oh, dear.  :-[

Yes, keep them coming. we need to get them all cleared up.

Thanks, Linda.

- KH

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »
Hi! All:

I had to get a P.O. Box in Phoenix when contemplating divorce last year and I go everyday to the main P.O. and open my box and NO BOOKS!  It is so sad.  I have a hard time understanding ...
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
I guess no-one in Europe has received theirs yet.  I certainly haven't.   

Looking at all you US members still waiting, I may have a couple of weeks still to go.... :'(
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou