The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Daily Sheet June 11-24, 2007  (Read 19445 times)

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
Daily Sheet June 11-24, 2007
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:39:12 AM »

Monday, June 11, 2007

Marriage Equality 1967

In America of 1967, the landmark Civil Rights Act was three years old but while public schools, restaurants and city buses had been cut loose from race-based restrictions, the institute of marriage had not. In 1958, newlyweds Richard and Mildred Jeter Loving had been arrested, literally in their bedroom.  Their crime was that the Richard was white and Mildred black; and by Virginia law at the time, "all marriages between a white person and a colored person shall be absolutely void without any decree of divorce or other legal process." After a trial, the Lovings' marriage was declared void and they were given an unusual sentence: spend a year in prison or leave the state for 25 years. The Lovings chose to leave, but neither Virginia nor the other states with "miscegenation" laws on the books had heard the last of them: they filed a lawsuit.  The prospects didn't look good in the lower courts, with one trial judge remarking that "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay, and red, and he placed them on separate continents[.] The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

The Virginia Supreme Court agreed with the judge and with existing law; but the US Supreme Court did not. In his ruling, Chief Justice Earl Warren rejected the argument that the law was fair because it prohibited both white and blacks from marrying outside their race and wrote that "the freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.  Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. . . [case citations] To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Supreme Court's ruling for the plaintiffs, now referred to as Loving v. Virginia, essentially took the legal bans on interracial marriage off the books in 16 US States.  June 12th marks the 40th anniversary of the decision.

People who would dispute this decision in 2007 are decidedly in a minority; however, in the mid-to-late 1960s, attitudes were closer to current ones about same-sex marriage. Evan Wilson, author of Why Marriage Matters, notes that in 1967, "polls showed 70% opposed [to interracial marriage]. Imagine the injury to our nation if the opposition had prevailed with arguments like 'let the people vote' or attacks on 'activist judges,' and had cemented discrimination into our Constitution."  Interestingly, a series of Freedom To Marry ads sponsored by the faith-based gay rights group Faith In America include images of gay marriage opponents including former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and Senator Mel Martinez, co-sponsor of a State Constitution amendment restricting marriage to heterosexual couples. The ads will run in Roll Call and Politico, both Capitol Hill 'trade' publications.

The Freedom To Marry website provides a wealth of commemorative events, resources, links to other articles and to the text of the landmark court decision as well as an NAACP brief "discussing the commonalities of discrimination and how the Loving v. Virginia case supports gay people's freedom to marry.

Book News
by KittyHawk

Forum Gives Beyond Brokeback to Nine Creators

The Forum is giving hardback copies of Beyond Brokeback to the people who were most responsible for bringing the story and film to life.  The books were accompanied by written notes from Forum members who had previously corresponded with them.

Dave Cullen - Ang Lee, James Schamus, Jake Gyllenhaal
Ellen/tellyouwhat - Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry
Jan/CactusGal - Annie Proulx
Jonathan/jlm1 - Heath Ledger
Kathy/kmich - Anne Hathaway and Michelle Williams

We hope to hear back from some of these folks - stay tuned to TDS!

Some of the book's contributors, with Ennis' truck.

Current Book Stats

WingSpan reports that of our first printing of 1,000, 165 soft cover copies and 50 hard cover copies remain. ChrisFewa and desertrat have finished culling out the minor errors, and have sent their corrected edition to WingSpan. Within the next few weeks the book will go to Amazon, big chains such as Barnes and Noble, and independent booksellers worldwide.

Members with books:

L-R KittyHawk, atruant (standing), Neatfreak, Jay63 and jlm1.
For more photos, see Forum Meetings/Reunion Pics. 

Copies sold to European booksellers including amazon.co.uk will be printed in Europe, saving both time and shipping costs. If your local bookseller needs to know how to order it, you can just say it's being distributed by Ingram, the 800-pound gorilla in the book distributing business.

Don’t forget the discount for multiple book orders! That’s 10% off for
10-19 copies; 20% off for 20-39 copies and 30% for 40 copies or more. Ordering in bulk also means discounts on shipping, with the amount saved sometimes being larger than the discount on the book price.

How can you help market our book?

So far, we've sent review copies to a couple of significant newspapers, a couple of college professors, one of whom is also a critic for a large newspaper, a radio personality who promises to use his for "contesting", and a couple of church leaders (Unitarian and Metropolitan Community Churches). Strategic notices to others will be continuing, but we need person-to-person help now. Send KittyHawk a PM for free business cards and postcards to distribute.

You can:

• Carry a few business cards in your pocket to give to friends when you mention our book.
  • Put a few cards on the bulletin board of your local library or community center.
  • Send an eye-catching postcard or two to friends you know would be interested.
  • If you're the subtle type, stick one in a copy of Annie Proulx's books or in another appropriate book on a library shelf.

Screened Out looks at "Crime and Punishment

If you're watching TCM's series on gay images in film this month, don't miss the ongoing forum discussion at the Screened Out thread.  Follow one of the posted links to find details about gays in "pre-code" Hollywood in the Philadelphia Inquirer, or some surprising facts about the life of Way Out West star William Haines.

8:00 PM Hell’s Highway 1932
9:15 PM Ladies They Talk About 1933
10:30 PM Caged 1950
12:15 AM So Young, So Bad 1950
2:00 AM The Strange One 1957
4:00 AM Women’s Prison 1955

"Men and Women Behind Bars" is Monday's theme for Turner Classic Movies (TCM) Screened Out: Gay Images in Film series, with films ranging from 1932 to 1955. During the years of Hollywood's censorship codes, implied gay and lesbian themes were treated more indulgently when they were in a prison setting. The earliest of Monday's films,  Hell's Highway, was touted as an exposes of prison conditions.

8:00 PM The Big Combo 1955
10:00 PM Suddenly, Last Summer 1959
12:00 AM Reflections in a Golden Eye 1967
2:00 AM Gilda 1946
4:00 AM The Maltese Falcon 1941

Wednesday's "The Dark Side: Film Noir and Crime" themed series focuses on murders, obsessions and dangerous romantic intrigues by some of Hollywood's most legendary stars: Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Rita Hayworth and Marlon Brando.

Donating to Research Libraries
by DCLuke

WingSpan also indicates that generous folks have donated 18 copies of the book to undesignated libraries. Libraries at colleges and universities are particularly good places for the book to be accessible to the maximum number of people.

One nice thing about public university libraries is that they share their collections via interlibrary loan with other public universities in the same state, and usually allow the general public access.  For example, a student at UC Santa Cruz could request a copy of Beyond Brokeback  from either UCLA or UC Berkeley.

The Forum is donating copies of the book to the libraries listed below, which include public and private research libraries in the USA and two large university libraries abroad.

UCLA
     UC Berkeley
     New York University
     University of Chicago
     Columbia University
     University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
     University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)
     University of Texas (Austin)
     Harvard University
     Cornell University
     New York Public Library
     McGill University (Canada)
     Oxford University (UK)
     University of Wisconsin (Madison)
     University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)
     University of Pennsylvania
     Stanford University
     University of Virginia

Our book will provide inspiration to individual readers and also serve as a valuable resource to scholars in gay/lesbian studies, film studies, American studies, sociology, and early twenty-first century history.

And of course the Library of Congress should receive a copy of our book.  It's culturally significant and I am certain that they would welcome it.

The Pink Slip

Actor Isaiah Washington will no longer be playing Dr. Preston Burke on Grey's Anatomy as of Thursday. "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," he said, using a line from the classic movie Network, but neither Washington nor the ABC network elaborated on why his contract with the show was not renewed.

Washington funnelled some negative publicity to the show earlier this year when he reportedly called co-star T.R. Knight a "faggot" during an argument on the set. He issued an ambiguous statement, saying that “I sincerely regret my actions and the unfortunate use of words…I have nothing but respect for my co-workers…and have apologized,” but later denied that the incident occurred.  The Reuters news service quoted Shonda Rhimes, the show's executive producer, as saying in January that the producers and network were working on Washington's 'behavioral issues.' However, the network has not given a specific reason for Washington's firing.

Personal Message Mystery

The Forum had a slight scare Saturday night and Sunday when two members observed some unusual activity regarding their personal messages.

The tech team investigated and determined that the first case was definitely a remote connection situation. The individual was using a wireless network with no password protection. A word to the wise...  The second instance required investigation by our service provider. They responded that after checking the server logs, they were not able to find any indication that there was any direct access on the databases from the outside.

In the future, if anyone notices any unusual or strange activity on the forum, please contact the tech team and me first with a detailed description. They can investigate and then determine if others on the Forum should be alerted.

The tech team consists of BayCityJohn, Lance, LoveEmBoys, and Nax.

Forum Highlights

The Colorado BBQ crew have some left over goodies they would love to sell -- they have TShirts, Denim Shirts, Engraved Harmonicas, Customized Camp mugs...  Quantities are limited, so check out exactly what is available here.

Contact LoveEmBoys if you are interested.

Forum member garek is the newest donor in our DVDs To Libraries campaign. He just sent a copy of the Brokeback DVD to the Maxwell Memorial Library in Camillus, New York.

Jake fans in particular might be interested in the Film Club's discussion of Donnie Darko. "What attracted me was Jake (of course)," says  Nikki.  "I had heard it had become a cult film with dark overtones, and psychological/existential themes.  I have always hated science fiction with a vengeance.  A friend told me it "wasn't really science fiction," so I gave it a chance on her recommendation.  By then, I had seen BBM, Jarhead, MM, and Proof -- I was now a confirmed Gyllenhaalic, so seeing DD was a 'must' for me."

Visit the forum's Ultimate Amazon Collection to
order both widescreen and director's cut editions.

Quote of the Day:

"Everyone has something useful to contribute to the world – even if it’s only serving as a horrible example to other people." 
    ~ Kennedy Shultz

Photo Caption of the Day

From Photo Captioning Fun 2[/b]
By tfmisc

Jack: Anything interesting up there in heaven?

Ennis: You bet…

The Daily Sheet depends on you and your ideas.

Contributors to today’s edition: Nikki, KittyHawk, tfmisc, DC Luke, garek, LoveEmBoys[/b]

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

[td]
[li]July 14-17, 2007 - Minnesota Camping Bash[/li]

[li]July 21-31, 2007 - Calgary
Alberta Pilgrimage
[/li]

[li]August 3 - 6, 2007 - Seattle, WA -
West Coast Summer Get Together
[/li]

[li]Let us know of any events you'd like listed here.[/li][/td] [td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editor: Marcia (Marge_Innavera)

Forum profile assistant: Dawn (stilllearning)

International editor: Martina (desertrat)

Columnists: Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Proofreader/Researchers: whiplash, mobody, gnash

Today's edition produced by Marcia (Marge_Innavera)  email: marge@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by whiplash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, you will be notified by email.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:47:24 AM by Marge_Innavera »
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
Re: Daily Sheet June 11-24, 2007
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:21:38 AM »

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

From Annie Proulx

CactusGal recently sent a copy of Beyond Brokeback to Annie on behalf of all members of the Forum, and just received a beautiful card and very kind note in reply. "It is very humbling to see how many people have been moved by the story/film," Annie wrote. "Somewhere down the years the story/film will be seen as quaint and weird. Speed the day."

The front of Annie's card was a 1917 photo of Hazel Walker and Babe Lee, rodeo performers who did trick riding as a team and also competed individually as bronc riders and relay racers. The card is part of the "Pioneer Cowgirl Series," produced by the  Pendleton Cowgirl Company.

Fanfiction: You & Me & a Dog Named Flea

You & Me & a Dog Named Flea is an engaging story that finds Jack, a journalist and Ennis, a veterinarian, brought together professionally in the city of San Francisco. Initially it is Ennis's dog Flea who provides common ground for the men, and who captures Jack's eye, but later it's Ennis himself.

The author of Flea, Fridayblues, says of Jack and Ennis: “I try to mirror the characters from the movie as much as I can. I try to picture Jack in (the) present day and as strong as he is, I know he would be able to come to terms with himself as a gay man. And Ennis is a loner of the two. He always has his horses so Flea gets to stay with him and that's why he's a vet.”

While delving into important themes, this story has a feel-good aspect, a nice balance between the men’s struggles and the progress that they make. Fridayblues explains, “Well, my reason is very simple. I love Jack and Ennis. I want them to be happy! I can't do anything to change the movie. That's their fate. It's tragic. But I can do something in my story.”

As Jack and Ennis forge a friendship, Fridayblues allows Ennis a chance to play, to enjoy himself in ways that she feels may have been stolen from him in his youth. At the Fair, Jack and Ennis show their inner-boy as they ride the bumper cars: ”He followed and bumped that Mustang several more times until he thought the kid wouldn’t dare call him ‘a Barney’ no more, whatever it was. But he also got bumped and sped after other cars, too. And the next thing he knew, he was chasing after Jack’s red Volvo and laughing fully from his stomach as he bumped Jack’s car to the corner."

While on the Ferris Wheel, they begin to explore what they mean to each other: “The wheel was descending and stopped occasionally as other people disembarked from their cars. Ennis talked more, his eyes bouncing everywhere, dropping some measuring glances at Jack in between. Jack never looked away from Ennis, their calves still touching, and it had been a long aching time, five minutes maybe. Other guys would have knocked him dead by now if he tried some contact like this, like Grant always warned. Ennis was a kind-natured man, he might not do something like that but again….”

In Flea, we see colorful, three dimensional “other characters” who help shape and flavor the story. Fridayblues says of this, “canon Ennis and Jack have no one but each other and that can be harmful. So here in Flea I got them friends. And I believe in the connection of people. You work together and think together and no one can live alone.”

They exchanged small smiles at that. Jack was thankful Grant didn’t try to make it harder by mentioning Brent. He just stood there, watching Jack drink his beer in heavy silence amidst the loud music. “This man knows you’re gay?” Jack shook his head. “I don’t think so.” “It isn’t fair to him, Jack. And you’ve taken the man’s picture without him knowing it. Talk to him. And talk to Brent, too. You’re dating him and whether you guys will be breaking up or not, he has the right to know this.”

We learn much about the men’s personal journeys and how they work to understand, accept and value who they are: “You know I spent almost two years in and out of therapy sessions? It wasn’t easy to accept that I’m…like this. Two years, Ennis. It was a rocky road but I’ve traveled it and I’m not going back again. I’m not going to lie again.” Jack took a deep breath. “I like you, Ennis. And if you’re showing up here just to prove that me being gay is ok with you, then you have to know that at the same time you’re giving me hope.

Check out You & Me & a Dog Named Flea at LiveJournal. 

Photos courtesy of Franz and Renate Rosenberger Photos

TCM: "Film Noir and Crime"

Turner Classic Movies' series on gay images and themes in film continues tonight with The Big Combo, Suddenly Last Summer, Reflections In a Golden Eye, Gilda and The Maltese Falcon.  The discussion started up yesterday on the Screened Out thread. About Reflections,  dback recalls that "[Marlon] Brando gives a fiercely committed performance, seemingly unaware (or uncaring) that the ship is sinking with him at the helm, rather like Johnny Depp's entrance in Pirates of the Carribbean.  Robert Forrester is really, really hot in his youth, and the whole naked-man-on-the-horse thing is extremely sexy."

BBQ Fan Art

Those of us who weren't able to attend the Estes Park get-together have been enjoying the pictures and reminiscenses for the past week, but one intriguing image we  didn't get to see was the cover art on the program, designed by Forum member lauragigs.  The image is the front-and-back cover, with Ennis' image (to the right) on the front and Jack on the back.

"I had heard that Ang Lee would do a ritual involving the 4 directions before each Brokeback shoot; that was the starting place," Laura explains. "There was also the idea of the 4 elements, and which 2 Jack and Ennis represented. The film (and our event) obviously involved travel, but there's tension between the limitations of each character's thinking: one 'mapped out' and regimented, the other horizonless.

"There's also the concept of one character being Christ-like, which is why the compass is positioned as it is. (This point may be debated, but there are so many elements in the film that point to this . . . not the least of which is that he tries to lead the other into an authentic life."

If Ennis and Jack Were French
by chapeaugris

In mountain regions, early June is the time of the transhumance -- driving livestock into the high altitude pastures for the summer months. In the Pyrenees, this is an ancient tradition going back to at least the Middle Ages. Whole families used to decamp to the "estives", bringing with them chickens, pigs, cows, sheep and goats. Nowadays, farmers in an area form an association, or groupement pastoral, to manage the transhumance and hire shepherds to guard the sheep or cows all summer. The shepherds are paid the minimum wage, live in stone-built cabins, wear berets and don't get to ride horses.

My husband and I usually help our neighbors bring their cows up to the estives the first weekend in June but this year I joined the transhumance of 2000 sheep in another valley. In Brokeback Mountain, the sheep were trucked to the assembly point but here the farmer walks his flock to the gathering point outside the last village before the final stretch of road leading into the mountains. There the flocks are grouped according to the estive they are headed for, and leave at intervals.

We walked along the single lane road for several kilometres until it ended at an abandoned mine. From there we followed a track leading to a gorgeous cirque. Half of the sheep would remain there while the others would be driven higher the next day. After a big picnic of grilled lamb, bread, cheese, sausage and plenty of wine we retraced our steps, leaving behind the shepherds to do their jobs.

The cirque (this word is also used in English to denote the end of a valley at the foot of a mountain).

I accompanied a freelance writer who was sent by Travel & Leisure magazine to do a story about this transhumance. He had seen Brokeback Mountain and was full of praise for it. Eventually I mentioned that I was a member of a forum devoted to BBM. He was silent for a moment, then said "That's OK. I belong to a forum about goats."

When Can We See It On YouTube?

Last Friday at Gramercy Hall in New York, Jake became the latest of several "special guests" who have joined Rufus Wainwright onstage during his Release the Stars tour. "He hammed it up immensely," a fan at by Jake Watch reported. "The best part was Rufus' reaction while Jake was up there - I think he almost lost it himself, he was laughing so hard! I'm sure that Jake will pop up on YouTube, but I hope that someone also captured Rufus, as his reaction was priceless."

Pride Month

Pride season is in full swing, with dozens of events worldwide scheduled from June through November.  The list of events has been updated and lots of volunteers are still needed.   

This past week two forum members took the bull by the horns by expanding and putting a new twist on promoting Beyond BrokebackRodneyFL, famed reader of the short story, has volunteered to help publicize the book at his "Brokeback Reading Events" in July and August on Fire Island.  CellarDweller115 took advantage of his recent trip to Philadelphia to distribute flyers and cards at various locations. 

The "Info and Event Listings" and "Marketing 'Beyond Brokeback' At Pride Events" threads have been expanded to include other venues and strategies.  Come join in the discussion and share your ideas.

If you would like to volunteer for a specific Pride event, please contact BrokenOkie.  It can be something as simple as contacting the event organizers or a single vendor and asking to include our flyers in the packets they hand out.  Promoting the book at other locations can be as easy as asking to leave promotional materials at PFLAG chapters, community centers, bars, university groups and other organizations. 

Marketing materials, including downloadable pdf versions of the flyers in multiple languages, are available at the "Beyond Brokeback" website.  Chief Projects Director KittyHawk has postcards and business cards available for the asking.

Dave Cullen on TDS

Friday's edition of the Daily Sheet will include the first of a series of occasional columns by Dave Cullen, on topics that catch his fancy. Check TDS Friday for his account of a rather unusual public event.

Forum Highlights
Have you recovered from the BBQ yet?  Didn't get to the BBQ and want to spend a festive 3-day weekend with fellow Brokies? It isn't too soon to at least start chatting about the DC Slash Bash II, in Washington, D.C. on October 12th-15th.

planetgal471 suggests a tentative itinerary that includes the Smithsonian, boat cruise on the C&O canal, a visit to Georgetown and, of course, a viewing of Brokeback.

The Heartland Brokeback Chorus
On Saturday, June 9th, Kansas City's 100-voice Heartland Men’s Chorus performed a concert titled "The Pink Carpet: Gays, Lesbians and Hollywood."  The Kansas City Star described it as "an entertaining look at the schizophrenic ways that American film has treated a subject that even churches deal with more successfully and honestly today." Reviewer Paul Horsley noted that "if some of the arrangements seemed a bit sleepy, some moments stood out, like Daniel Offield’s moving rendition of “He Was a Friend of Mine” (from Brokeback Mountain)."  According to Horsley, the song was "a sort of culmination of the program."

Quote of the Day:
"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself." 
    ~ Rita Mae Brown

Photo Caption of the Day

A classic from Photo Captioning Fun[/b]
By CellarDweller115

That's right, I'm from Texas.  Where the cowboys wear big hats, and the women wear big hair!

Contributors to today’s edition: stilllearning, chapeaugris, michaelflanagansf, KittyHawk, CactusGal, dback, brokeback_1, lauragigs, BrokenOkie, whiplash, CellarDweller115[/b]

Calendar of Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Columnists: Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Today's edition produced by Marcia (Marge_Innavera)  email: marge@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by mobody

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 02:55:23 PM by Marge_Innavera »

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 06:17:06 AM »

Friday, June 15, 2007

Member Profile:
Namdak (Michael Elia)

Michael Elia was a volunteer editor on the Book Project and also will help edit some of the updated posts for “The Rest of the Story” page on the Book site. Michael has been a member of the Forum since winter 2006. He teaches philosophy/critical thinking in Las Vegas, Nevada, and is originally from Chicago, Illinois. He and his partner, also Mike, have an adopted son, Julian, who is the love of their lives. Avid film and music buffs, their home is an odd mix of memorabilia from Brokeback Mountain and Finding Nemo.

Mike and Michael are also members of "We are Family," a local support group and networking organization for gay parents. The couple is working on a screenplay, “Love’s Infinite Weave,” about a single AIDS quilt panel, that of a young African-American man, his funny, beautiful life, and of his fearless mother and her decades-long determination to recognize, remember, and celebrate him.

Tell us about your experience as a father. How has it changed you? Has it changed your relationship with your partner?  “Tell you what…..,” it has been a humbling experience and it has opened up a world of adventure. I never thought my life would be so enriched. Our priorities are different now, of course, and center around our son, Julian. I don’t think my partner and I ever took each other for granted but we certainly don’t now. We’re very conscious of how important we are to each other and to our child.

What is the greatest thing that you've learned from being a parent?   Patience. And how not to be afraid of the unexpected, because it’s almost a daily occurrence.

Can you tell us about the adoption process?   Mike and I are still going through it. We hope to have it finalized in the next few months. We started the process on 2/25/06; unbeknownst to us, Julian was born the previous afternoon. In our case, we went through the state, which has many, many children in need of homes.

Jules was left at the hospital in which he was born and stayed there for about two months while they tried to find a place for him. Then he was moved to a group home for what they call “border babies,” which is a temporary environment until they can find a permanent placement. He was there for another 6 months and then they contacted us. He’s going on 16 months old now and thriving. The last time we were in Court (for a status hearing), Julian was the talk, as everyone in social services knows his story. The Judge wanted to know, by the by, how we came up with “Julian” and we told him we were Beatles fans and, everyone deserves an “anthem” named after them (“Hey, Jude”). McCartney wrote it for John’s first born. It was originally “Hey, Jules” but “Jude” sounded better in the lyric, so the story goes.

Have you and your partner experienced a lot of support as you've transitioned into the role of parents?   We’ve been a bit surprised where the support has come from (and where it hasn’t come from). There’s the, “have you lost your mind(s)?” to “God bless you.” Our families have been amazingly supportive and it’s made a big difference. Especially in the beginning, we had no idea what to do. I had never changed a diaper before…believe it or not….and was nervous, but, I got over it very quickly (in about 24 hours). The first time Julian was sick was upsetting, of course, and the support was critical at that point. Being assured by 6 people, “this is normal; don’t panic” meant a lot to us. We also have a great lawyer who specializes in same-sex adoptions and she’s really helped us navigate this hodge-podge system and also the fact that as a gay couple we have to jump through so many more hoops. But, if you know Julian, you’d agree it is worth it.

What motivated you to get involved with the book project?   People all over the world expressing such personal and moving stories I felt, really from the beginning (January 2006), that “these should be saved.”

What was your role in the process?   I have worked in publishing and editing for years and so I lent a hand on that front. I knew what to expect when something goes from this medium, for example, to a print medium. There are “translation issues.” I also was very much behind the idea that we are preserving as well as sharing a moment in time and we should try as much as possible to keep the authenticity of the authors’ styles of expression: that’s what people needed to get. The trick is to present something in a visual medium (the page) that allows the reader to “hear” what is being said.

Can you tell us about some of the "behind the scenes" work that took place along the way? What was frustrating? Rewarding?   Having been an editor, I did not find too much that I would say was frustrating, since I knew what to expect: I knew that it was a long, laborious process. Not unlike films. The most rewarding thing, other than putting my hand (gently, lightly) to these wonderful stories/posts, was working with the other volunteers. It was fun. Everyone that I worked with on this was great. I think the finished product shows that: it comes across as a labor of love; it was “parented” into the world.

What impact do you hope the book will have on the readers?   Like the film, the book’s effect will sink in deep, over time. Memorials do not grow stale with the passage of time. Our experience will change in the deepening of it.

If you believe that this book can change minds and hearts, name one person you would give it to? And why?   People only change from within, in my view, and nothing outside changes that. What you are seeing in the report of changes that came from the film (in this book) is an echo, a reflection.

What do you think Jack and Ennis would say after reading “Beyond Brokeback: the Impact of a Film”?   They might say something along the lines of what Ang Lee said at the Oscars: it “teaches us about love.”

Currently listening to?   Rufus Wainwright, “Release the Stars.” It’s some of his best work. He is an incredible talent.

Currently reading?   I kid you not: “Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writer’s Guide” edited by Mark Kramer and Wendy Call.

What’s your inspiration?   Julian.

Last major purchase?   The laptop I’m typing on. I wear these things out.

First job?   Ground crew at the International Terminal of O’Hare airport in Chicago, back in the day when air travel was fun. I met people from all over the world, heard dozens of languages a day. I was so young and it was the world, literally, brought to me.

What do you know for sure?   That I am loved.

Your favorite threads?   My favorite thread is the “Elements and Themes.” The insights are amazing. I’m also an avid TDS reader.

Your favorite BBM scene?   Ennis with Jack’s mother and father in that windblown shack of a house on the prairie, sitting in the chair at their kitchen table…. Her handing him the brown paper bag with the shirts in it…..I will never forget sitting in a huge theater with every seat full and you could hear people not breathing.

Anything else on the horizon for you?   My mother wants me to write a book about our experience with Julian and the adoption process, as a gay couple, which I think is a great idea. She says, “ you know, like Nicholas Sparks.” “Yes, mom,” I said, “just like Nicholas Sparks….”

Jake On Broadway?

Farragut North is a stop on the Washington, D.C.'s Metro mass transit system, handy to Lafayette Square, the White House and the National Geographic Society, and the offices of several Washington lobbyists. But this week it's in the news as the title of a play that the New York Post reported might be the vehicle for Jake's first star appearance in a Broadway production. 

Jake participated in a special reading of Farragut North, directed by James Lapine (Spelling Bee, Sunday in the Park With George). If the play opens on Broadway, its producer will be Jeffrey Richards, who won a Tony Award this year for Spring Awakening. Richards declined to comment, but the Post described Jake as "handsome and charming, very compelling in the role." It also reported that Jake's character is a "young, idealistic communications director who works for an inspiring, though unorthodox, presidential candidate. During the campaign, his career is done in by more seasoned politicos who thrive on poisonous partisan politics, dirty tricks and back-stabbing."

No location for the reading was given; but playwright Beau Willimon (pictured) is the "Development Director" for Back House Productions, the resident theatre company of the Arthur Seleen Theatre in the Drama Book Shop in New York. Back House's "Next Stage" project regularly hosts readings of new plays as the first step in developing them for New York theatres. 

Farragut North, is not a completely untried play, however. In July of 2005 it was the winner at the "FutureFest," held annually at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio, less than a year after Beau Willimon had worked as a staff member on Howard Dean's unsuccessful bid for President in 2004. More recently, Willimon also worked on Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign in New York.

"Willimon's riveting play gave us a hint as to where Dean and his supporters went wrong," remarked reviewer Peter Filichia, who attended the FutureFest in Dayton. The topical theme may give Farragut North a competitive edge. In his essay on FutureFest, Peter Filichia remarked that non-musical Broadway play has more competition than it did a few generations ago. "In the old days," he observed, "the Hays Code prevented movies from 'growing up,' so if you wanted to see adult themes and topics, you had to go to Broadway. Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour was about lesbianism but you'd never know that from its first movie version, These Three (1936). . .  Now we can see and hear adult themes and topics on network TV, not to mention cable."

Confirmation on whether Jake will make his Broadway debut with Farragut North is expected within a few weeks.

"Brokeback Mountain and Me."

Forum members who attended the BBQ last month remember the outdoor reading of Brokeback by RodneyFL as one of the weekend's high spots. In July and August, season subscribers to the Island Repertory Theatre Company in Fire Island will get to enjoy Rodney's one-man show,  "Brokeback Mountain and Me." Season ticket subscribers have increased their numbers as a direct result the upcoming production.

Rodney reports that "the show will start with a 15-20 minute introduction, giving the answers to 'What is...?' and 'Why?' " The introduction will include "descriptions of Brokeback events I have attended, starting with the New York City gathering in Central Park last September, the Bay City (MI) Oscar Night Screening in February, and most recently the Brokeback BBQ 2007 in Colorado and Wyoming. There will be plenty of tales to tell. I shall then launch my dramatic reading of the short story, done in similar fashion to the BBQ reading. A good many members of the audiences for these shows may have never encountered Annie Proulx's marvelous story. Who knows? Maybe a new Brokie or two will result from my efforts."

The show will run July 20, 21, 22 and August 10, 11, 12 at the Tides Theater, Cherry Grove, Fire Island. Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm, Sundays at 7 pm. There will be no intermission.

BBM Reading At Estes Park

Marriage Equality Affirmed In Massachusetts

During a joint session Wednesday, the legislature of Massachusetts voted by 151 to 45 not to place an anti-marriage equality Constitutional amendment November 2008 ballot. The amendment would have invalidated the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s 2003 making Massachusetts the first state with full marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples. The timing of the vote was especially significant in light of the fact that at present, the states of California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island are all considering various forms of marriage equality legislation.

Same-sex newlyweds in Boston -- the sky didn't fall after all
Marc Solomon, campaign director for the coalition MassEquality, remarked that “today, the Legislature made a powerful statement that it’s wrong to vote on rights.” Human Rights Campaign President agreed that the proposed amendment was "a misguided attempt to put people's equal rights to a vote. . . . Today’s vote is a reaffirmation of Massachusetts’ proud record of choosing equality over discrimination. For the past three years, loving and committed same-sex couples have enjoyed the equal right to marry in Massachusetts. Despite the doomsday predictions of opponents of equality, the sky hasn’t fallen, and no one’s marriage has been threatened.”

The vote was closer than it seemed, however; as the Massachusetts state constitution requires that just one-fourth of elected legislators approve an “initiative amendment” (a proposed constitutional amendment introduced in the Legislature by initiative petition signed by a specified number of voters). Another five votes in favor of the proposed amendment would have placed the discriminatory amendment before the voters on the 2008 ballot.

from
Dave Cullen

World Naked Bike Ride came to my attention Saturday night, when I got an odd email from my little sister, who lives in Boystown, the gay district in Chicago. At 10 p.m. Chicago time, she wrote:

Is there some sort of naked/underwear bike ride in boys town? I got home about an hour ago and I was just thinking about going to bed when I heard all sorts of commotion on the street (more then a normal Saturday night), so I looked out the window and there were hundreds (seriously they were like eight deep on the street and it has been going on for over 30 minutes now) of bike riders riding down roscoe street in their birthday suits. Some had on skimpies (Speedo type stuff), but lots of men and women both riding bikes naked! Now I did go to a street festival this afternoon and spend 10 hours drinking, but I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating hundreds of naked bike riders going down my street in the middle of the night! So what the heck is going on??

She looked into it further, and it turned out to be part of the this: World Naked Bike Ride.

Their website says they had at least 600 participants at the Chicago event, which coincided with cities across the northern hemisphere. I was oblivious to the event in Denver the same night, though it passed very close to my home.

Interesting story here about the Denver ride. Here, the cops pulled them over and ticketed them.

They have another one planned for Boulder this Saturday, but I'll be away. Too bad. Some other cities are scheduled for June 30, complete list here.

Let us know if any of you participate--or if you've done so already.

Brokies In Europe

Just back from the Europe Spring Brokie event, "Our second European Gathering was a blast," reports lost camel (Chameau).  "I'm just back from Paris and exhausted but happy... meeting Brokies is always a blessing."

The Brokies in this picture are a truly international group:

1st row, from left to right: Ethan (USA), Carmilla (Finland), Keren_b (Israel), Christie Wood (UK), Lost_Girl (France)

2nd row, from left to right: Canmore (France), Pierralex (France), Tizi17 (Austria), Atephan (France), Tpe (USA), Titabeille (Belgium), Chameau (Canada), Froggy (UK)

Visit Events On Other Forums for updates and news about international events.

Quote of the Day:

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul."              ~ Mark Twain

Photo Caption of the Day

From Photo Captioning Fun 2,[/b] by TwistandShout

Ennis, irritated : Ya look like strollin' down a catwalk modelin' for a damn Land's End catalog. . .

Jack : Right now, more like Man's End, Ennis. . .

Contributors to today’s edition: Dave Cullen, Namdak, Lyle (Mooska), KittyHawk, RodneyFL, lost camel, TwistandShout[/b]

Calendar of Events

Columnists: Dave Cullen, Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »

Monday, June 18, 2007

Help write the rest of the story

by KittyHawk

Authors, what's your next chapter?

Readers of Beyond Brokeback will be wondering about what happened next in authors' lives. Therefore we're wanting to collect some follow-up pieces for the book web page called  "The Rest of the Story."  If you'd like to write a piece for this section, please PM it to Namdak or KittyHawk. We've already requested follow-ups from atruant, ImJackshesEnnis and ImEnnisshesJack, jlm1, Brokeback_1, and others.

Readers' Reactions is another section of the book web page where we'd like to include a variety of reactions you've had to the book. If you run across a well-done post, please personal-message LoveEmBoys and let her know about it.

Finally, we're looking for a couple of professional reviews of the book. Let us know if you, or someone you know, could fill this request.

Toward Equality

Supporters outside the Massachusetts Statehouse celebrated Friday after the state legislature voted not to put an anti-gay marriage Constitutional amendment on the 2008 ballot. Demonstrators supporting the amendment, which would have ended Massachusetts' status as the only US state with full marriage equality, were across the street. The event took a startling turn when 52-year-old Diane Steele, an amendment supporter, crossed the street and slapped an unknown demonstrator, who was described as "startled" but not injured. As James Kenneally, speaking for the Boston Police Department put it, Steele had decided to "escalate the debate."  Steele was arraigned Friday on assault and battery charges.

Judging from an incident in Massachusetts last December, it could have been much worse. In April Larry Cirignano, then president of a group named Catholic Citizenship, attacked a counter-demonstrator at an anti-gay marriage rally in Worcester. Sarah Loy was in the middle of the crowd with a sign reading “No discrimination in the Constitution” and when Cirignano spotted her he left the podium, shoved Loy down and banged her head against the sidewalk. After telling Loy that "you need to get out. You need to get out of here right now,” Cirignano returned to the podium and continued his speech before Loy even got up from the ground.

See the TakeMassAction website for details.

On Saturday, Dallas' first openly gay mayoral candidate Ed Oakley lost the runoff election to challenger  Tom Leppert. The runoff had attracted enough interest to have a higher turnout than the recent general election; however, Oakley's sexual orientation was not a campaign issue. An anti-gay group named the Heritage Alliance PAC had launched a negative phone campaign against Oakley and Leppert issued a public statement demanding that the calls stop. "These tactics will only divide our city and discourage voters," he stated. "Dallas voters have been tasked with the very important decision of who will lead our city into the future, and they deserve better than this."   

The International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission reports that in Kenya, "the Council of Imams and Preachers of Coastal Kenya, along with Muslim youth groups, have launched a campaign to eradicate homosexuality and prostitution from Kenya's second city, Mombasa."

Kenya National Commission on Human Rights spokesperson Lawrence Mute issued a statement calling on the government of Kenya to "ensure that this situation does not become a witch hunt of people whose rights are protected like any other Kenyan citizen. Whilst the KNCHR recognizes and respects the rights of religious institutions and individuals to hold their opinions; these opinions must not be allowed to victimize or place at risk any other community or individual."

Scenes We'd Like To See

For many of us, our dream Brokeback Mountain DVD would include a special section for every deleted scene and every "outtake" -- microphones in the wilderness don't trouble devoted Brokies if Heath and Jake are involved. That day may never come, but forum member Jannis has shared a few 'unofficial' photos with us.

Post Of the Day

One of our newest forum members, Rei-gyoku shared how she came to the BBM obsession and to the forum. "I am a 47-year-old Japanese woman living in Tokyo, Japan," she writes. "Last spring when the film was in the theaters, I heard there were people bursting into tears. Somehow I did not want that to happen to me and did not go to see it on road show."  Rei-gyoku later changed her mind, but like many of us, was overwhelmed with her own reaction: "Last month, I rented the DVD and I lost nearly 6 lbs in three and a half weeks. Luckily, I had that extra weight on me, my health would have deteriorated otherwise. I was spent, numb, obsessed, haunted, saturated with grief, and I still am. I did not know what was happening to me. I sobbed and wept, and that was all I did all day."

She found our Forum just a few days later: "At first, I was so devastated I could not take any of the serious discussions going on, and peeked into the laughs & light stuff instead. The hilarious captions nearly threw me out of my chair in the middle of the night in laughter. As awkward as it may seem, I was laughing while tears flooded down my cheeks at the same time." 

Rei-gyoku is still sorting out her reactions. "I ordered Beyond Brokeback - the Impact of a Film through Amazon here [and] am looking forward to the writings of the other contributors. Although I am very much tempted to go out and pick up the DVD, at the moment I feel it wiser to stick to some quiet readings rather than watching the film over and over again."

Visit the How Brokeback Affected Me to read Rei-gyoku's whole post and to greet our new member.

Missing In Action
After the April 16th edition of the Daily Sheet ran a story about Film Quarterly’s special section on Brokeback Mountain, a number of Forum members ordered copies and did not receive them. TDS editor tellyouwhat wrote to circulation manager Nick Lindsay, telling him that "I was worried the mag might go out of print before I get it!"  He sent this message in reply:

Sorry that you've had to endure the wait. Can you please tell anyone on the BB Forum who did not get their issue to contact me directly? We'll send it out ASAP via Fed Ex or UPS. Don't worry about it going out of print -- I was at the warehouse yesterday and saw several cartons of that issue. Again, my apologies for any delays, and please feel free to post this note to the BB Forum to let people know.

If you have not yet received your copy (or if you would like to order one!) contact Mr. Lindsay at nick.lindsay@ucpress.edu

Jake On Two Fronts
Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean told the Washington Post Friday that he hopes Jake takes the role he read in Farragut North, "but I want him to play me." The Post added that Jake playing Dean would even include his notorious scream during the 2004 Presidential campaign -- "I'd like to see him do that.

Jake was also picked as one of the "Single & Sizzling Men of '07" in the "Hottest Bachelors" issue of People this month.

Quote of the Day:

"The query - 'at Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?' And the answer - 'where was man?' " 
~ William Styron

Photo Caption of the Day

Another of a series of "Movie Quote" photocaps, this one contributed by doodler in Photo Captioning Fun 2.[/b]

Movie Quote

Jimbo:  Twist, this may come as a shock to you, but there are
some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition.

from Pillow Talk

Contributors to today’s edition: KittyHawk, Rei-gyoku, Jannis, tellyouwhat, doodler[/b]

Calendar of Events

Today's edition formatted and proofed by whiplash

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:50:08 PM by tellyouwhat »

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

Wednesday, June 20, 2007
[/size]

Power Lunch in San Francisco

Did you feel the continent tipping west this past weekend? An unusual concentration of Forum power occurred when KittyHawk (Lydia) traveled to San Francisco and met with a few Forum residents there. 

Photographer: Chief Moderator Melisande
[/size]

KittyHawk (Chief Projects Director), BayCityJohn (Financial Officer, Tech), killersmom (Special Assignments Coordinator),
michaelflanagansf (Moderator), and jlm1 (Senior Book Editor)

Although Dave Cullen was thought to be in Massachusetts em-ceeing a wedding at the time, there is an unsubstantiated rumor that he was actually having lunch with Dick Cheney at an undisclosed location.

Later that evening, the group (minus Melisande and Killersmom) enjoyed the San Francisco Opera production of Gluck’s Iphigenie en Tauride. Apparently, there is opera after Brokeback.

Comedy Night

By Marge_Innavera[/url]

Wednesday night (June 20), the special "Screened Out" series on TCM series focuses on gay images and themes in comedy.

Katherine Hepburn in Sylvia Scarlett

8:00 PM Manhattan Parade, 1931

9:30 PM Sylvia Scarlett, 1936

11:15 PM Turnabout, 1940

12:45 AM That Touch of Mink, 1962

2:30 AM The Producers, 1968

4:15 AM Designing Woman, 1957

Manhattan Parade features actor Bobby Watson's playing Paisley, a costume designer, a few years before Watson made Adolph Hitler a specialty role. In Sylvia Scarlett (1935), Katharine Hepburn causes "sexual confusion" while masquerading as a man named Sylvester. A supernatural comedy Turnabout defied the then-powerful Motion Picture Production Code because of Franklin Pangborn explicitly gay supporting role. During the 1950s and early 1960s, movies like Designing Woman and That Touch of Mink were often coy about sexual references but by 1968, Mel Brooks was taking a more uninhibited approach with The Producers.

Join the dialogue at the Forum's Screened Out thread. The recent discussion about Katherine Hepburn is especially timely.

NPR’s Talk of the Nation Interviews Author Kevin Davis, Wed 6/20

By Dave Cullen

I emceed the wedding of my friend David Yoo in the Berkshires this weekend, which was a whole lot of fun. (Imagine someone handing me the microphone at their wedding reception, and letting me keep it for three hours. hehehe.)

I met several interesting writers and a comic filmmaker that I wanted to share, and I will, soon, but something more sudden has come up:

A good friend from my college newspaper days has a new book out which is going to be featured on NPR's Talk of the Nation today (Wednesday, June 20). The show is on around lunch time in most markets, starting at 12 or 1 p.m. (It runs two hours, on most NPR stations.)

Kevin was also one of the major guys involved with building our log cabin in Upper Michigan, if you've ever checked out those pix.

The book is called Defending the Damned: Inside Chicago's Cook County Public Defender's Office. It is an inside look at an elite group of public defenders who specialize in murder, and  examines how these lawyers are able to represent clients accused of some of society's most hideous crimes while maintaining their emotional distance and keeping their sanity. It's published by Simon & Schuster.

It has gotten great reviews, but could benefit from wider exposure. The Chicago Tribune Magazine did a really gushing write-up on it, ending with this: "Pick it up. You won't be able to put it down." You can read more at Kevin's site.

Update: NPR now has a direct link to the interview, with an excerpt from the book. Audio of the interview will be included there at approximately 6 p.m. EDT today.

Fanfiction: The One Shot

By Stilllearning

The one-shot is a creative piece of fanfiction that can be easily finished in one sitting. These stories are able to poignantly capture the intensity of a situation or the fun of a moment with depth of character, without the advantage of mutiple chapters to develop a theme and explore characterizations. Here is a sampling:

Just for You by Smile_a_lot is a short story that explores Ennis’s thoughts about the special moments and touches that Jack had just for him. “There were many other just-for-you’s. Meticulously catalogued and pondered on one at a time. Savoured. Treasured. For to think on all these things together? That would engulf him with all that he had lost. Too much. Too much."

Check out this story at: http://smiles-a-lot.livejournal.com/723.html

A Dying Wind by comeawayeasy is a beautiful short story that has Ennis returning to BBM, to recapture his precious, but fading memories of Jack. In remembering their second night in the tent: "Wanting to die, wanting to fly -- the tender contact igniting his skin on fire, Ennis felt his insides curling in on themselves. And when Jack took his hat from him and there was nothing left between them, Ennis felt, for the first time in his life, like he was home. Jack was his home. Jack whispered, "It's alright...it's alright...it's alright.” And, oh fuck, it'd been more than alright. It'd been home and heaven and the sweetest sense of belonging he'd ever felt."

The story can be found: http://www.tidesandlimes.net/adyingwind.html

Over Me by Midget_size finds Jack at home in Texas, looking for a sense of comfort as he longs for more time with Ennis: "Jack lit another cigarette. He couldn’t do anything about it right now. He couldn’t really do much about it ever, he figured, but especially nothing now. So he settled his back against the stair above him, wished it were Ennis’s knees, and tried to comfort himself, trying not to care that he sounded like some kind of spurned teenage girl in the process. Because just then, there was only one thought that comforted him, petty and stupid and possibly even untrue as it was. Ennis had never shot her an elk."

Midget_size says of the one-shot, “One-shots are just snippets, my one-shots are almost always based off an emotion I'm feeling. For example, when I wrote Over Me I was feeling a little abandoned. One-shots are my way of avoiding a breakdown. And my one-shots usually focus on a single character's feelings."

You’ll find Over Me at: http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/859669.html?#cutid1

At This Late Season by Destina gives us a beautiful glimpse of a day the boys may likely have shared in the summer of ’63: "Near the high end of a trail-less hill, Ennis pulls up short, dismounts, one hand on his saddle still, as if he is thinking it over. Jack swings down easy, heels of his boots striking mud and sinking, and then Ennis moves, pushes, so they fall to the ground together, rolling in the wet earth which smells of horse and sheep and the fine scent of late summer rain, with the tang of wild onions subtle beneath. It's the open sky Jack loves, the shifting glory of the sun as it runs to hide behind the clouds, while Ennis opens his shirt and lays him bare."

At This Late Season can be found at: http://destina.livejournal.com/325810.html#cutid1

In Trespassing in the Shoot-Em Zone by Vnapier, a meeting at Pine Creek in November of 1983 becomes a turning point for Jack and Ennis, a story with raw emotions and intense dialogue: “But Jack wasn't through, and he plowed on through whatever excuse or explanation Ennis had been wanting to give. "I get it, Ennis, ya don't like it. Don't even matter what yer reasons are, the only thing that matters is that ya like doin' the givin', like it real good, jus' like I like doin' the gettin'. We both had us a need, but you was the only one gettin' any relief between fishin' trips."

Find this story at: http://vln-bbmfan.livejournal.com/8810.html

Autumn Changes Everything by gnashsang reveals Ennis grieving his loss of Jack, and contemplating hope for love in the future: "ennis stopped in the middle of his routine to slip his hand beneath the light fabric ...(which) was familiar to him by now, speaking to him in braille or some secret language his fingers could understand. he didn't touch their shirts every day, but often enough, and sometimes when life was hard he would break down while holding them… against his face so he could inhale... jack."

You’ll find Autumn Changes Everything at: http://gnashsang.livejournal.com/4749.html

Poem of the Day

By gnash

UNTOOTLED TIGHT

us
two
a puff
dragging
on a smoke
curls wisp up
a halo on your
face and that grin                                            ennis + jack
makes me shift in my
seat a log placed behind
my back and in front of me
the fire which warms and gives
color to our nights as we reach out
to make fingers interlace and you pull
my face to yours with dirty hands and no
i do not mind because there is love beneath
your fingernails, the love you found in my heart
you know, this ain't half bad the two of us like this
waiting for the night to fall as if that's an excuse
for clothes to shed and drop and then with
sly grins we watch what we have rising
until they beat with the thumping
of our hearts and you grab me
and i taste you and you are
salty like it is meant to
be and you groan
when i tell you
(yeah, i love you)                                             with my lips
and not a
word is
said

Pride Events: June isn't half over, it's only half begun!

By BrokenOkie

Events are coming up soon all around the world - Atlanta, Berlin, Denver, Dublin, Athens and all points in between.  Desertrat, who worked on the book project, has provided an updated list of European events and we've separated the event listings into three separate posts for US & Canadian, European and Other Worldwide Pride celebrations.

Volunteers are encouraged to participate in the "Marketing 'Beyond Brokeback' At Pride Events" thread to share ideas and stories as they help spread the word about Beyond Brokeback.  If you would like to volunteer for a specific Pride event, please contact BrokenOkie.  Want to help but can't commit to participating at a Pride event?  No worries!  You can help in other ways by distributing flyers and cards to universities, bars, affirming churches and other businesses and organizations.

Marketing materials, including downloadable pdf versions of the flyers in multiple languages, are available at the "Beyond Brokeback" website.  Chief Projects Director KittyHawk has Beyond Brokeback postcards and business cards available on request, postage paid.

Thanks to the volunteers who have already helped at these events:

Phoenix, AZ - Bobby19in1963

Oklahoma City, OK - June 15-24 - tex_in_ok

Washington, DC - June 1-10 - Nova

Providence, RI - June 16 - Poohbunn

Philadelphia, PA - June 10 - CellarDweller115

These events have volunteers - are there others that anyone is working on? 

New York City - June 17-24 - CellarDweller115

Wichita Falls, TX - August 13-19 - BrokenOkie

Reminder, the Seattle Pride Event coming up this weekend (June 23/24) has already given us permission to pass out flyers.  So if you are in that area, consider taking some time to spread the word.

Also coming up this weekend, Denver.  Some of the recent BBQ planners may need a new activity now that the BBQ sauce has worn off.

Real Life Marketing Stories

Poohbunn - I'm working at a booth at the RI Pride event.  I plan to bring some materials with me so others who have an interest in the book can purchase it.   I had so much fun there last year and met so many great people.

CellarDweller115 - Went to a few places last Saturday night here in Philly and was able to leave some of the business cards and post cards that I received in the bars.  On top of that, I printed out 100 copies of the flyer, and left a handful of them in one of the bars.  The manager there even put them in the "news rack" with a bunch of other mags and flyers, so they'll be easiy seen and accessable.

BrokenOkie - I gave a copy of the book to my church's library yesterday.  I'd planned to do that anyway, but it morphed into a bit of publicity.  ;)  Our pastor made an announcement about the library addition and that flyers (in English & Spanish) are on the bulletin board for anyone who wants more information or to order their own copy.  We provide meeting space for PFLAG and other organizations, so they'll have access to the flyers, too.

Market in Mandarin

Zuraffo translated our marketing materials into Mandarin Chinese. If you would like to send e-mail marketing the book in the Mandarin language, sample letters are available on our Marketing web page.[/b] Our flyer is also now available in Mandarin. 

Full size PDF file is available for printing.

Home Decor:  BBM Posters

Poster size 25” X 35”

Perfect for dressing up any wall, this is the perfect size for maximum visual impact, or instantly creating a theme for a room. Images look great on this high-quality poster, printed on heavyweight 7 mil semi-gloss paper using superior dye inks. Treat yourself or give as a gift...

Poster size 16” X 20”

If you prefer a smaller poster, try this one. Printed on heavyweight 7 mil semi-gloss paper using superior dye inks.

Remember, you can easily access CafePress through the new buttons at the bottom of any forum page.

The Forum’s Financial Report for May has been posted for review by BayCityJohn.

The Film Club is currently discussing a film that rivals BBM in average number of repeat viewings by its devotees.  Donnie Darko, 2 disc director’s cut, is available on Amazon through our Ultimate Amazon Collection. The movie is dark, complex, intriguing, with mind bending time travel suggested – all that and Jake Gyllenhaal, too.

kula posted this news in the Future Projects thread:  Barnes & Noble has the BBM short story paperback on clearance for only 2 bucks (or $1.80 if you join). You can buy  and donate a book or two to a local library if they don't already carry a copy. (If you want to save on shipping you can just stop by a B&N store instead.)

BayCityJohn writes: "The American Film Institute 100 Years 100 Films is going to be broadcast on CBS on Wednesday. I just hope we're not in for another big let-down."

Photocap of the Day

By doodler

BROKEBACK YELLING AND SCREAMING

Ennis: Can you hear me now?

Contributors to today’s edition:
Marge_Innavera, KittyHawk, Nax, Stilllearning, BrokenOkie,
doodler, gnash, kula, BayCityJohn, Dave Cullen, Poohbunn, CellarDweller115[/b]

Calendar of Events

[Today's edition produced by Ellen (tellyouwhat)  email: ellen@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by mobody

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:58:12 PM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:44:09 AM »

Friday, June 22, 2007

Member Profile: Fofol         

I’m single, living with Zephaniah (15 yr old Westie) and She-rah, the killer parakeet. I took/take Brokeback seriously – got up off my pockets and into the control zone and lost 40 lbs, so far – ten and goal to go! Started going out again, but maybe I need re-socializing, or else get used to not looking for Mr. Right and settle for Mr. Alive – well, I might, but I can’t find that page in my copy of The Gay Agenda. I don’t drink much, but Armagnac is a fine treat, and although I have made decent beer, these days I drink small-brewery ales or porters. Plus, there are two brew-pubs in Providence, which is just down the road from here.

~~~

Currently listening to?  The five discs in the carousel (random shuffle) right now are: Reasons Why (The Very Best), Nickel Creek; Deep Forest; Keb Mo’, Keb Mo’ (Kevin Moore); Track Record, Joan Armatrading; and World Groove, Putamayo. No guilt, all pleasure. Irma Thomas, Time is on My Side, from You Can Make It If You Try, (the r‘n’b originals that the early Stones covered) wakes me from the alarm/CD player. The Soundtrack (along with Reflected, greatest hits, vol. 2, Tim McGraw) is in the car which has a sound system that’s worth more than the car (’97 Saturn SC)! This man really likes his sounds.

Currently reading:  Maybe it’s adult onset, but I find I read more than one book at a time these days: Love in a Dark Time, and Other Explorations of Gay Lives and Literature, Colm Toibin (analysis of some famous and some not-so-familiar lives; read as much for the author as the subjects – a sharp mind with humor, wit, and expression); 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love, Joe Kort, MSW (Mr. Kort has decades of providing therapy to gay men, is gay and has found love); Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card – science fiction at its very best. And finally, (and it’s because of you lot I’m this way): The Literary Detective (100 puzzles in classic fiction), John Sutherland ($6.98 @ Barnes & Noble) – why and how famous authors sometimes choose expediency over precision or accuracy – this is immeasurable assistance helping me understand where some of my obsessive Brokie friends commute from.

Biggest challenge?  Not disintegrating when my plane landed at Than Sohn Nhut airbase, just outside of Saigon, in the middle of a firefight – we were getting shot at as we landed. I made a conscious decision in that moment to relax, pay attention and live, and was thus lucky enough. Make that luckier: I not only got to keep my life, that is the most valuable lesson of it.

Your perfect day?  Begins with a full night’s rest, turns into a day at work where the problems given to me are solvable and changes for the better happen in individual lives. I love what I do, helping patients with problems to interact successfully with a large and intimidating hospital organization, smoothing out the obstacles for them, getting positive results. In the evening, after my two mile walk and shower, a tasty healthy meal made by my host and some stimulating conversation round out a perfect day. Plus points for wit, humor, dancing, and good beer: all four plus interesting taste in music and you’re invited in to advise me on window treatments and what to have on hand for you…Bud.

What’s your indulgence?  My doctor gave up a great deal of her importantly scheduled (family) private time to keep me alive. I buy her jewelry when I can - her Christmases are good. She’s offered to marry me, but I told her I can pass and don’t need a green card. She’s a beautiful woman who even laughs beautifully at my humor.

What’s your inspiration?  Everything outside of nothing, then that nothing itself, and after that we can cogitate on the meritability of the edge that separates them, should such an edge ever manifest. Other lives are inspiration enough, really.

Last major purchase?  A new roof for the house.

First job?  14 yrs old, food prep in my uncle’s restaurant.

What do you know for sure?  AMPAS needs meds, and the foster-Oscars are secretly seeking their true homes - you will see this headline: “Little Golden Sexless Men Run Amok in Hollywood…Nothing Happens: big swords, no balls, and they’re obviously blind.”

Favorite movie besides BBM?  I own these favorite DVDs: The Concert for George (Harrison); What the Bleep, Down the Rabbit Hole (science, philosophy and mysticism meet on the quantum level, variably); Come Together, an night for John Lennon (Kevin Spacey will blow you away, Cyndi Lauper is totally excellent); Big Eden (Brokeback without the homophobia, death and anguish); Idiocracy; V for Vengeance; Moulin Rouge (the ONLY musical); and (don’t laugh, it’s great, you’ll care) Batman Begins. Plus anything Cirque du Soleil, but esp. Varekai and Solstrom; & some of any of the Bonaroo concerts. And, of course, the Alistair Sim 1953 Scrooge.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?  “They’re re-shooting Brokeback, fofol, and they liked your idea about Jack kissing Ennis’ hand in the DE, you remember, when he reaches across Jack to caress that furry lapel with his thumb? Changes the whole thing of course – that one kiss on the wrist opens Ennis up like a can of Bettermost - but that’s what heaven’s for. Lureen is only too happy to get rid of Jack and Bobby to devote her full attention to making money – she willingly pays the alimony. So now J+E own a restaurant in Denver, ‘LD’s Whiskey Springs,’ with an art gallery attached – Ennis’ paintings are selling in Vail and Jackson Hole, too, and everybody loves that Brokeback paella, with the elk and canned beans. Jack, of course, is the maitre d’, Mr. Personality, you know, and he doesn’t mind getting hit on by the ladies, because he knows they understand that Ennis is his man. Plus, Diablo, Mike the Dog, and Zeph [my dog friends, over the years] are waiting for you here too – but watch out: they can talk back now. And, uh, fofol, you don't mind if I call you by your first name, do you?… A few of us are getting together a little later after dinner to watch Brokeback. Ya know, old school, just a few friends, a little beer, a little music, maybe some dancing, we’ll watch the movie, schmooze, ya know? Wan’ come? I can getcha a good seat. And afterwards, if ya want, we can go watch Jerry Falwell shoveling coal for a little while, til that gets boring. Well, not for him, of course. Heh-heh. Pat Robertson’ll be joining him in a short while, too. We can check out his arrival, if you want: it’ll be fun, trust me - they none of these bastards ever really believed in me or they wouldn’t have used hate to sate their greed. Wait til you see THAT expression!”

What brought you to the Forum? I couldn’t understand what Ennis is saying when he looks at the shirts, and got very google-lucky: I came for 3 words and stayed for the brilliance of the multi-thousands of them scattered across the Forum here. Many blessings on you Dave.

Your favorite threads?  Elements & Themes and Scene by Scene: both are chock-a-block with great folks and great ideas.

How many times have you watched BBM?  Saw the film once in a theater, got the DVD that night, and watched thereafter, all of it or part, everyday for just over a year (literally) – there had to be more to it for these guys, so I had to have all the details, for sure. I am amazed at gay men (really anybody, but especially gay men), who dismiss the Mountain, for any reason. This love story featuring two men is a watershed moment in the narration of world events: for the first time in history homosexual men are treated publicly as human beings with strengths and weaknesses, complexities, dreams and the capacity to love, just like we’re real human beings. Golly. Single-cell to sentient and it only took the human race until 2005. (Yes, it’s way too soon to do the victory dance, but, "You may think I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.")

Brokeback makes it tough for the ignorant (and those who prey on them) to be proud any longer.  Life is good.

International News

The New York State Assembly voted 85-61 on Tuesday to pass "A.B. 8590," which would provide marriage equality for same-sex couples under New York law. If signed into law, it would make New York the second U.S. marriage equality state; however, the bill has to pass the Republican-dominated state Senate, which is significantly less supportive. Last year, New York's high court had  ruled  in Hernandez v. Robles that whether same-sex marriages deserve equal recognition "is a question to be addressed by the Legislature."

During the debate in the Assembly, Republican Assemblyman Brian Kolb mentioned "the nuns who taught me in grammar school" and his marriage in the Catholic Church, and remarked that "I do feel threatened. I do feel harmed. It's a direct challenge to me and how I was brought up."

However, the New York vote reflects several positive developments for same-sex couples and families over the past few months. The Massachusetts Legislature declined to put a  proposed constitutional amendment on the ballot that would have ended legal same-sex marriages in the state, and California’s Assembly also passed a marriage equality bill that is also still pending in the State Senate. New Hampshire approved civil unions this year and Oregon and Washington passed domestic partnership bills.

Last year, New York’s high court ruled against marriage equality in a 4-2 decision. The majority opinion in Hernandez v. Robles concluded that whether same-sex marriages deserve equal recognition “is a question to be addressed by the Legislature.” The court’s chief judge predicted in dissent that “future generations will look back on today’s decision as an unfortunate misstep.”

If the New York marriage equality bill is signed into law, New York would join Massachusetts as the second state to provide marriage equality for same-sex couples under state law. Ten states, plus Washington, D.C., now have laws providing at least some form of state-level relationship recognition for same-sex couples.

The  International Herald Tribune reported that "As the voting ended on Tuesay, openly gay Democrat Matthew Titone rose with his cell phone in his hand. 'I have my partner here on the phone and he just asked me to marry him,' Titone told the chamber. 'My answer, Madam Speaker, is yes,' said Titone to a round of applause."

June 2007: Pride Month in Vienna, Austria

In 2007, Vienna is not only hosting a Pride Parade, the Regenbogenparade (Rainbow Parade), but a whole Pride Month. June 2007 is buzzing with events. A Pride Guide booklet distributed all around town informs about the events to attend - more than 60 during June. From cinema to sauna, from lecture to clubbing, the Pride month caters to every taste and interest. The city of Vienna itself has polished up for the Pride Month: all of the 600 tramways of the city and the city hall itself are equipped with rainbow flags. Pride Month will close on July 30th after the Rainbow Parade and the celebration.

juliacat has posted these and other photos of the Rome Pride Parade last Saturday at the 24 Hour Diner.

AFI's "Top 100" Picks

In the fan poll that totaled over 1,600 votes, Brokeback got the most support from movie viewers with over 135 votes, followed by The Godfather (over 60) and Casablanca, Gone with the Wind and Shawshank Redemption with over 30 votes each. Despite public input, however, members of the American Film Institute chose not to include Brokeback Mountain on its list of Top 100 American movies.

The top ten chosen were Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Casablanca, Raging Bull, Singin' in the Rain, Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Schindler's List, Vertigo and The Wizard of Oz.

Join the discussion on the Awards Aftermath thread to comment on the AFI choices. And Brokeback fans might want to read Jonathan Rosenbaum's essay on the 1998 AFI list. Check out some of the wonderful statements that people (non-AFI members) posted about BBM on AFI's website. Once you read those comments and then look at some of the trivial entries the AFI top 100 list, it makes one wonder...

"New" Views Of Deleted Scenes

One of the more popular new threads this week is devoted to Outtakes and Deleted Scenes. No matter how many times, you've seen BBM, here's the place where you're most likely to see a "new" scene or glimpse of the movie shoot.

Jack presents Ennis with a gift, which Lyle (Mooska) identifies as "a spectacular, custom finished hunting rifle."

Forum Slowdowns

The members of the Tech Team are aware of the difficulties members and guests are having with Forum slowdowns. We have been investigating numerous possible causes, none of which are simple. We have tried a variety of adjustments and are homing in on the underlying reasons for the difficulties. We are consulting with other experts, our service provider, and former tech team members to confirm that we're correctly identifying both the problems and the solutions.

If you'd like to report the specific problem that you've been having you may PM a description of your particular difficulty, the date, time, and other details to KittyHawk. This will help us ensure that we're addressing all the difficulties you're having. 

We realize how aggravating it is to not be able to access or post on Forum pages, but we are working on improving the situation and ask for your patience for a bit longer.

(For those of you interested in the technical end of things, we think this is a MySQL issue caused by a number of factors, including how many members and guests are online and the type of actions being undertaken. The current MySQL structure/engine we have is called MyISAM and has numerous limitations. It has been recommended that we convert this table to a newer format called InnoDB which has fewer limitations to the number of processes accessing an individual table.)

Eat Your Vegetables

Language does change over time, in this case since the 1950s.

See more (though less startling) vintage produce ads at the BoxOfApples online museum and gift shop.

"Gay Bomb" In Ohio?

One of the stranger stories to surface this month was the discovery by Edward Hammond of Berkeley's "Sunshine Project" of a proposal to develop a non-lethal weapon that would induce "homosexual behavior" in enemy troops. Hammond says that the Air Force's Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio "proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soldiers to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another."

Read more details about the proposed "gay bomb."

In the Blogosphere

For details about this spoof of a "Truth Ministry" billboard see the Joe.My.God blog.

Quote of the Day:

"Assassination is the extreme form of censorship."                ~George Bernard Shaw

Photo Caption of the Day

From Photo Captioning Fun 2[/b] by gnash

B R O K E B A C K   A F T E R G L O W

ennis: you know i ain't queer.

jack: me neither! well, not really. i mean, what we did was queer, but there's no reason for labels.
think of it as love. I DO. you can love a dog, can't ya? i do. you can love yer ma, can't ya? i do.
you can love a good, greasy cheeseburger too. i do.  what about a nice pair of cowboy boots?
you can love something like that. i do. and cotton candy? man, kids love that stuff. i sure do.
a good ridin horse? that's easy to love. i do. what about your favorite pair of old jeans? i got
a pair... so soft and worn out.. i love 'em, i do... what about a nice pair of cowboy boots?
you can love something like that. i do. and cotton candy? man, kids love that stuff. i do!
you can love a dog can't ya? i do. you can love a good, greasy cheeseburger too. I DO!

ennis: hold up, jack -- yer repeating yourself...

jack: yeah, i know. i'm just practicing for when we get married.

Contributors to today’s edition: Fofol, Jeff Hanna, Lyle (Mooska), LoveEmBoys, KittyHawk, gnash, Arethusa33, tfmisc, jlm1[/b]

Calendar of Events

Proofreader/Researchers: whiplash, gnash

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash