The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 966970 times)

Offline jpq716

• Expert
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2006, 10:15:58 AM »
Forever_Failure, if you are shallow for liking Harry Potter, then I am just as shallow as you are! I have a beautiful niece whom I love to distraction but who does not like to read. But one major exception to her dislike for books is the Harry Potter series, all of whose books she has read. When the first Harry Potter film came out in 2001, I went to see it, strictly and solely in order to find out what my niece found so attractive about the series, and I was disturbed to admit to myself that I liked the film a lot. Then, shortly, thereafter I had the opportunity to read the first Harry Potter book. Years passed, and I saw the second and third Harry Potter films, in each case reading the book after seeing the film. But as luck would have it, I read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire before I saw the fourth film last November, and for the first time, I realized clearly that I like the books even more than the movies, fine as they are...

No, I have to put aside my prejudices and to give J. K. Rowling her due. I thought that her Harry Potter books would be New Age sentimental slop, and I was wrong. Rowling is a fine writer with a first-rate imagination. Nobody on this earth can match J. R. R. Tolkien, of course, but she is right up there in visionary imagination. She deserves everything that she has in life because of the joy that she has brought to millions of readers. And God knows, she worked hard enough to get it! :D :D :D
Albert Camus: "In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:37 AM »
No, I have to put aside my prejudices and to give J. K. Rowling her due. I thought that her Harry Potter books would be New Age sentimental slop, and I was wrong. Rowling is a fine writer with a first-rate imagination. Nobody on this earth can match J. R. R. Tolkien, of course, but she is right up there in visionary imagination. She deserves everything that she has in life because of the joy that she has brought to millions of readers. And God knows, she worked hard enough to get it! :D :D :D
JK Rowling has put children's literature back on track.  Having school age kids that are obsessed with her books makes me soooo happy because she is bringing back vocabulary to their world! (something that has been missing from the more recent modern children's series.)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline WhenPigsFly

• Expert
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »
I can't get enough of Proulx and Proulx-like writing.

I just finished "Postcards" (which I rank with "Accordion Crimes" as being her best long fiction) and "Power of the Dog" by Thomas Savage which comes with the highest recommendation from Proulx herself...she wrote an Afterword for the reissue.  The story has a strong connection to Place, and the characters -- especially one of them-- absolutely step off the page and into your mind. 
...somehow, as a coat hanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved...

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2006, 02:46:01 PM »
I'm cheating, because this is a book I haven't read yet: Sarah Waters' new novel, Night Watch, set in WW II London.  She wrote a pair of Victorian lesbian novels that were turned into cable movies;  this is a departure.  Most reviews are approving; here's one:http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/reviews/article341190.ece

One reason this appeals to me is that my favorite gay novel, Mary Renault's The Charioteer, is also set in wartime London.  The Charioteer has always struck me as a fine candidate for a film, because its characters move in a gay subculture (not always treated respectfully!) as well as in the larger worlds of wartime military and civilian life.  Renault had an economy of style I don't expect to find in the Waters book, but I'm looking forward to it anyhow.

(Has anyone here read it already?)

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:09 PM »
ORDER THE DVD and help support our site

Just click on the link at the top of the news box to pre order the DVD through Amazon. If you buy it through the link on our site, Amazon will donate 6% back to us. They have it for the great price of $16.98, and if you order $25 or more you can get free shipping!

Also, anything you order from Amazon by clicking our link in the news box means we get 6% of your total order as a donation to the site. This is at no extra cost to you. If you have already ordered the DVD from Amazon, you can cancel the order at no cost to you and then reorder from the link in the news box. It is an easy and great way to support the site and our current and upcoming projects.

You can also send the link from the news box to any friends who want to order the DVD.

Please use the link in the news box (top of the page).

Thanks for your support!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:24:58 AM by peteinportland »

cyoung

« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2006, 11:04:53 PM »
Could you all recommend some memoirs and novels by and about gay men?

Thanks,
Cara
"Becoming a Man" by Paul Monette comes immediatly to mind.

This may be my favorite book of all time. It won the National Book Award. Stunning work of literature IMO.

I went to the library today and looked for it -- no luck. I'm going to check a small local bookstore as well as Bucknell University's bookstore. If all else fails, there's always amazon.com.  :D

Cara

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
The classical composer Ned Rorum (I think he's written a lot of settings for poems - obviously, I'm not into contemporary classical music) was a dazzlingly handsome young fellow who took full advantage of his advantages.  Don't remember the title of his memoir, but he does a lot of namedropping.

Offline Robert

• Experienced
« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »
Oh, hell.  My apologies to anyone who might have tried to find Mark Doty's memoir "Phoenix."  That's because I screwed up the title.
It's called "Firebird," not "Phoenix."  It was a clumsy mistake on my part.  I do recommend the book, though.  I often like books by
poets who have turned their hands to prose; terrific writing often ensues.  (And to Castro:  I've just re-read one of Ned Rorem's
diaries.  They're gossipy and fun and often thoughtful.)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2006, 09:43:17 PM »
The classical composer Ned Rorum (I think he's written a lot of settings for poems - obviously, I'm not into contemporary classical music) was a dazzlingly handsome young fellow who took full advantage of his advantages.  Don't remember the title of his memoir, but he does a lot of namedropping.

Actually he's written quite a lot - but I think the one you may be talking about is 'Knowing When To Stop' - he also did 'New York Diary' and 'Paris Diary'.  Last year at the SF LGBT Film Festival there was a great documentary on him too.  I haven't read him, but he's very interesting.  He was friends with Virgil Thompson (who worked with Gertrude Stein).
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2006, 10:48:09 PM »
Rereading the opening of In Cold Blood again. For about the millionth time.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
I bought In Cold Blood after I saw Capote, it is sitting here waiting to be read.

FUNGURL

cyoung

« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »

Heh.  :D I just finished re-reading it too. Great book.  :D

Cara

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
[b]Our Missionary Project--Come Join Us[b]
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2006, 07:03:09 PM »
Our newest campaign (the Missionary Project) is to place as many BBM DVD's in libraries and other places as we possibly can.  We especially want to target rural or smaller libraries which may not have the resources of the larger ones.  We are asking the libraries to label our donations with "Donated by Members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://davecullen.com/forum which, after viewing, will give those who need it a place for support.  Our message, as always, is a positive one of the beauty of love between two people which cannot be denied. 

There are three ways you can help:

Method One

Do it yourself! Get a warm and fuzzy feeling! Here are the steps:

1.  Select a library - One of your choosing or go to http://www.pubiclibraries.com
(We suggest a rural or smaller library which may not have the budget for a copy.)

2.  Call the library and ask it they will accept a donation of the BBM DVD.  If so, discuss the following with them:
     a.  How the DVD will be delivered (by hand, Amazon or other)
     b.  Ask them to apply a sticker on the DVD once it arrives which states "Donated by the Members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://davecullen.com/forum

3.  Send a PM to Exlibris or post to the thread (Our Missionary Campaign found under Forum Events and Campaigns on the main page).  We need to track the following info:
     a.  If donation accepted:  city/state/country of library
     b.  Donation not accepted:  same info + reason not accepted (so we can address these issues later

4.  Place your DVD order with Amazon via our site or order/buy through another means.  If you order through our site, we will get 6% of the cost and it won't cost you a penny more.  Go to our main page and near the top on the right side you will see "Buy the DVD Through Us" in red. Amazon will ship gift orders anywhere you want.

5. Follow-up with the library once you believe DVD has arrived; it is important to remind them to place our identifying sticker on the DVD.

6.  If you have any problems along the way, PM either Sharyn (member support) or CactusGal (team leader).

7.  You've just help spread Brokeback Mountain's message that love between two people is beautiful and shouldn't be denied.

Method Two

Donate the cost of a DVD to us and volunteers will handle the process of sending the DVD to a library.

To donate go to http://www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/adcampaign.html

A warm and fuzzy still awaits you but we take away the hassle!

Method Three

Choose a library in another country or an organization anywhere in the world. This is for those who live in other countries or for members who want to donate to GLBT organizations in other countires or in the USA. Simply follow the same steps in Method One above. Warm and fuzzy feelings can reach you too!

You can also use all three methods to make the most impact! We will be asking other sites and organizations to join in our campaign and announcing this campaign to the press worldwide. Help spread the message of BBM! Thanks for all of your support.

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #283 on: March 25, 2006, 04:22:53 AM »
hey... I posted 2 chapters of a story in the slash thread. BBM related of course, in that it's about what happened when i went out hunting for the March 10 daily Variety at noon that Friday and got home 2 days later

lemme know if you like it. had to break it into pieces, those 2 chapters, they were too long to post
messages # 1197 through 1100

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=98.1095
This is hardly the best thing I've ever written but it does have it's moments <lol> I mean hell, it took a few hours to write, while the 911 story I'm doing will take me a year Thought you guys might enjoy it.
feedback really is welcome! Especially honest constructive literary feeback...
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2006, 04:31:06 AM »

Heh. :D I just finished re-reading it too. Great book. :D

Cara

Capote is one writer I never managed to get into at all. Haven't read his stuff for many many years.
I'll do In Cold Blood again this summer...who knows, I might like it!

Right now I'm still reading Bad Dirt, Wyoming Tales 2. And absolutely LOVE it.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it