The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 590146 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #3915 on: May 15, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
^^^ Man In An Orange Shirt.. V

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3916 on: June 10, 2019, 07:17:11 AM »
A recently unknown love poem by Siegfried Sassoon has been discovered, written to the 20-year-old Glen Byam Shaw, who became an actor and director. The affair didn’t last long, but they remained friends, with Sassoon attending Byam Shaw’s wedding. Sassoon of course had several gay relationships, though he also got married, as was expected at that time (and still sometimes today :()

The poem is in the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/09/student-discovers-new-siegfried-sassoon-love-poem
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3917 on: June 10, 2019, 11:23:40 PM »
It's a lovely poem, Sara. And what luck on the students part!
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3918 on: June 11, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »
I decided that this summer I would read my way through the set of Brother Cadfael mysteries. I enjoyed them, but I haven't re-read them in decades, so the stories are new to me once again.

After I read them, I'm afraid they will have to go to recycling. They're all mass-market paperbacks and so old that the paper has gone brown and everything is brittle. Last week I read the first novel, A Morbid Taste for Bones, and the back cover broke into three pieces and then fell off.

If anyone is inclined to ask, No, I did not like the television series that was made from the books. I like Derek Jacobi, but I did not like him at all as Brother Cadfael, so much that I didn't even watch all the shows. Of course I blame the script writer(s), not Jacobi. Maybe I'm being unfair, or just plain wrong, but the Brother Cadfael of the television dramatizations just did not comport with the mental image I had of him after reading all the books.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3919 on: July 01, 2019, 03:15:34 AM »
Slightly vague memories of both the books and tv series. I think I did like both, but after a bit I found them a little samey, and I had enough of the heroines being so sweet and good. This may be unfair, as it was a long time ago! I always like Derek Jacobi.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3920 on: July 01, 2019, 03:18:35 AM »
I’ve just been checking on the CMBYB sequel, André Aciman’s Find Me. It’s not coming out till 29 October now, and I’ll have to decide between the hardback and Kindle, as the paperback isn’t till next October. :(

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #3921 on: July 04, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »

Currently, I'm reading Joyce Carol Oates' novel SOLSTICE from the mid-80s. A very rewarding read. About a weird relationship between two adult women (one's a widow, one's divorced) in a small town in Pennsylvania.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3922 on: July 17, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
https://huxleyparlour.com/the-afghan-girl/

Last w/e....I finally acquired a book I always longed to have..." National Geographic:
The Photographs". This ^^^ is the world famous picture taken by Steve McCurry...
simply called " The Afghan Girl" which is on the front cover.....on the back cover
is a picture of the same girl...but taken 17 years later. Still with the same fearful
look in her eyes. The book is crammed with unbelievable photographs. I do love
photography books...and exhibitions but they are usually ONLY on in London and
the books are usually sooooo expensive. But....as I said I acquired this book this
w/e....found in an Oxfam shop for £3  :o
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.