The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 695049 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #3990 on: September 21, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
I have not read these yet, but I've picked them up at a local bookstore.  They're old, but I'd never seen them before, and I was looking to support a local business.

Jocks: True Stories of America's Gay Male Athletes

January 1, 1997
by Dan Woog

Woog characterizes the athletic locker room as "the largest, dingiest, smelliest closet left in America." He then profiles several dozen men, many still quite young, who have helped dispel at least the closet part of that characterization. Each has acknowledged his homosexuality and, with one poignant exception ("The Suicidal Jock," still adjusting as a college junior), has come out to coaches and teammates, or, if a coach himself, to students. Woog writes vividly about them all, communicating the fulfillment they find in sports as well as the satisfaction they experience in being out. He depicts them as normally complex persons coping with normally complex life situations, one of which is not, however, being turned on by the sight of naked teammates. Besides plenty of soccer players (Woog has coached the sport for 20 years), swimmers, gymnasts, wrestlers, runners, basketballers, hockey players, and even an "impostor," who admits going out for junior-high sports to be near other boys, also appear, and Woog concludes with advice to coaches on dealing with homophobia.

https://www.amazon.com/Jocks-True-Stories-Americas-Athletes/dp/1555833993/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=dan+woog&qid=1600741316&s=books&sr=1-5

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #3991 on: September 21, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
Jocks 2: True Stories of America's Gay Male Athletes Paperback – October 1, 2002

by Dan Woog

In addition to becoming a nationwide bestseller, Jocks changed the face of athletics forever. Gay athletes realized they were not alone, young gay athletes discovered role models, and straight people learned that gay people are their teammates and coaches. Much has changed since its publication in 1998: Gay jocks are coming out even in high school, gay sports teams compete in every major city, and in almost every major sport-even testosterone-fueled contests such as rodeo, snowboarding, and mountain biking-there are openly gay competitors. But the locker room is still far from a friendly place for out athletes, so with Jocks 2, author and journalist Dan Woog introduces us to a group of gay athletes including:

The first openly gay college athletic director in the United States. .
A gay mountaineer who became the first deaf instructor hired by Outward Bound. .
An Ironman competitor. .
An HIV-positive former street hustler whose life was changed by wrestling. .
A student manager driven from his college team by the athletes he admired. .
A baseball fanatic who finally found self-esteem on the diamond.

These pointed, dynamic, and often triumphant profiles of gay athletes continue the tradition of illustrating that gay people are the friends, colleagues, neighbors, and teammates of all Americans.

A valuable resource for libraries, educators, coaches, and school counselors in overcoming stereotypes, providing encouragement for gay youth, and dispelling myths about sexuality among athletes.

https://www.amazon.com/Jocks-True-Stories-Americas-Athletes/dp/1555837263/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dan+woog&qid=1600741290&s=books&sr=1-2

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3992 on: November 20, 2020, 12:08:51 PM »
Douglas Stuart Wins Booker Prize for ‘Shuggie Bain’

The autobiographical novel, about the lonely gay son of an alcoholic mother in 1980s Scotland, was one of four debut books in this year’s shortlist.

The reviews look really good for this book. I am going to try to find it.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3993 on: November 24, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
Hi friends,

I wanted to let you all know about an interesting novel I read for my book group: "The Disappearing Earth" by Julia Philips. It's about two girls who go missing in Kamchatka - and so much more. Each chapter is narrated by a different woman (except for the first and the last, narrated by the same person) and it fills in a portrait of the place, which becomes a character in its own right. Kamchatka is an isolated section of Russia with native people playing a significant role in the narrative of the book. It is in part a mystery, but it is also a commentary on gender roles in post-Soviet Russia and a commentary on what groups are in power and how that affects what is considered important (there is a missing native teen which is not mentioned till part way through the book and the treatment of the two cases draw a contrast between who is considered important).

I didn't think I was going to like this when I started it, but it swept me up in its narrative.

I think it's well worth reading.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/21/725056496/kamchatka-is-a-rich-backdrop-for-mystery-in-disappearing-earth
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #3994 on: November 24, 2020, 05:13:59 PM »
Hi friends,

I wanted to let you all know about an interesting novel I read for my book group: "The Disappearing Earth" by Julia Philips. It's about two girls who go missing in Kamchatka - and so much more. Each chapter is narrated by a different woman (except for the first and the last, narrated by the same person) and it fills in a portrait of the place, which becomes a character in its own right. Kamchatka is an isolated section of Russia with native people playing a significant role in the narrative of the book. It is in part a mystery, but it is also a commentary on gender roles in post-Soviet Russia and a commentary on what groups are in power and how that affects what is considered important (there is a missing native teen which is not mentioned till part way through the book and the treatment of the two cases draw a contrast between who is considered important).

I didn't think I was going to like this when I started it, but it swept me up in its narrative.

I think it's well worth reading.

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/21/725056496/kamchatka-is-a-rich-backdrop-for-mystery-in-disappearing-earth

Sounds intriguing, Michael. I'll look out for it.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3995 on: November 24, 2020, 05:44:55 PM »
Sounds intriguing, Michael. I'll look out for it.

I found it very interesting and it gets progressively more so throughout the book. It was a national book award finalist, and it's a first novel, so both of those made it interesting to me.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3996 on: November 24, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
Read this review, then immediately added to my reading list.  Always been a big fan of Fox since "Family Ties"
-> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/books/michael-j-fox-no-time-like-the-future.html

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3997 on: November 25, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
Read this review, then immediately added to my reading list.  Always been a big fan of Fox since "Family Ties"
-> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/13/books/michael-j-fox-no-time-like-the-future.html

This looks amazing. Vincent. Thanks for the recommendation!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3998 on: November 30, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Just a heads up for readers here:

I am going to be doing a book talk on Wed. evening at 7pm PST. For this talk I'm doing a "deep dive" into the collection, so I'll be talking about historical mysteries (particularly the Lyndsay Faye "Timothy Wilde" series and Matthew Pearl's "The Dante Club), magical realism ("The Master and Margarita"), the Gothic novel "Manuscript Found Saragossa" by Polish nobleman Count Jan Potocki, some sociology books (including the chilling "Methland") and cookbooks, craft books and movies for the holidays.

If you're interested come watch!

https://www.menlopark.org/Calendar.aspx?EID=6758