The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 852465 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #4185 on: September 19, 2022, 02:45:24 PM »
I came across Swimming in the Dark, the debut novel by gay author Tomasz Jedrowski. It was published early this year. It's a very absorbing story of two young Polish men.

Swimming in the Dark has an extra resonance now as the populist right-wing government has used a homophobic scare campaign with the collaboration of the Catholic Church to win elections and works to roll back what little legal protection there was for LGBTIQ people.
Ultimately, I think you enjoyed the book, "Swimming in the Dark"?

It certainly has tremendous, stellar feedback -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49977811-swimming-in-the-dark

Several references to being in the same league as CMBYN and BBM...

Do you still recommend reading this one these few years later?   V.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4186 on: September 19, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
Ultimately, I think you enjoyed the book, "Swimming in the Dark"?

It certainly has tremendous, stellar feedback -> https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49977811-swimming-in-the-dark

Several references to being in the same league as CMBYN and BBM...

Do you still recommend reading this one these few years later?   V.

Yes, Vince. The reason I found it absorbing was not simply because of what was going on in Poland in 2020.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4187 on: September 19, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »
^^^ TY. I just added it to my must read kindle listing.  Iíll hit the audio/book whispersync.   Did you get the audible form too by chance?  I like to read while at the gym and so I mostly listen and read along when I can while on the ellipticals.   V.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4188 on: September 19, 2022, 06:16:01 PM »
No, I usually buy books, sometimes borrow from the public library. I read on an e-book when we go to stay in Thailand.

I lashed out and ordered four books the other day. I'm hoping at least three of them will be delivered this week.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #4189 on: September 20, 2022, 06:37:04 AM »
Most of the books I've been reading lately have come from our local thrift store that supports a number of AIDS charities. Some are clearly brand new and never read, and I've gotten them for 99 cents each, and sometimes two for 99 cents.  :)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4190 on: September 20, 2022, 06:44:49 AM »
win-win!