The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 965780 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #4215 on: December 12, 2022, 08:54:49 PM »
I read it with a mixture of enjoyment and sadness, Michael.

He had a very tumultuous relationship with Virginia Woolf (she was apparently quite cruel).

I don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.glbtqarchive.com/literature/hartley_lp_L.pdf
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4216 on: December 12, 2022, 09:25:35 PM »
He had a very tumultuous relationship with Virginia Woolf (she was apparently quite cruel).

I don't know if you've seen this:

http://www.glbtqarchive.com/literature/hartley_lp_L.pdf

Yes, I read Linda Rapp's article.

I read a dismissive personal comment by Virgina Woolf about Hartley somewhere.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4217 on: December 13, 2022, 03:49:50 PM »
I love his work Ingy. I watched a bit of a program on the graphic novel for "A Boy's Own Story" at Queen's Public Library last Friday which featured White's partner Michael Carroll.
This is penguin's site on the book:
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/711445/edmund-whites-a-boys-own-story-the-graphic-novel-by-edmund-white-brian-alessandro-michael-carroll-igor-karash/
Here's the youtube of the event at QPL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME3RcyFhXE

Oh, good to have these links, Michael. I must look them up.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4218 on: December 13, 2022, 03:50:57 PM »

Thanks, Tony, for drawing our attention to The Harness Room.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4219 on: December 13, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »

Btw, today (exactly today!) is the 50th anniversary of Hartley's death.

WISE UP

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4220 on: December 16, 2022, 08:36:02 AM »
Belated happy (?) death-aversay L. P.!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4221 on: December 26, 2022, 03:18:16 PM »
One of (and perhaps the primary) inspirations for Sebastian Flyte in "Brideshead Revisited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alastair_Hugh_Graham

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4222 on: December 30, 2022, 02:49:05 AM »
Out gay Syrian-Canadian writer Danny Ramadan says he is "writing stories about communities that nobody else is writing and wishes other people like him are writing those stories."

His thought-provoking 2022 novel The Foghorn Echoes opens in patriarchal, homophobic Syria in 2003 under the Assad dictatorship while the war in Iraq is raging next door.

Young Syrian neighbours Hussam and and Wassim are falling in love but their need for secrecy combined with teenage recklessness leads to a tragic incident that really shocked me and I wondered how much worse might be in store for the reader.

The author traces their separate lives over the next 14 years in alternating chapters entitled Damascus and Vancouver as they respond to the trauma and the consequences of the incidentin markedly different ways. At the same time, they have to find ways of surviving the years of violent conflict between protesters and the Syrian regime and then the years of rebellion and the ongoing civil war

The graphic realism of the experiences of both young men (similar to many stories my students have shared with me and accounts I have read and still read) contrasts with the magic realism of Wassim's life after he moves into a derelict villa in Damascus and is befriended by the ghost of Kalila, an unhappily married woman who died in the 1960s. Eventually, Wassim is befriended by their straight former schoolmate Jamal, a war refugee from Iraq.

Hussam is befriended by Arda, a security guard at a refugee camp in Gaziantep, Turkey and by Dawood, a Syrian-Canadian drag queen in Vancouver.

The writing immediately engages the reader strongly and crucial insights into the characters are gradually revealed in the alternating first person chapters in the chapters in the 2014 section.

The final chapter about both Hussam and Wassim is told in the third person and set in 2017. It moves toward a hard won sense of resolution for them and ends on a happier note.

The story brings up a number of themes. Danny Ramadan writes with empathy about the two main characters and even with Hussam's unpleasant older gay sponsor Ray. He gave me a deeper understanding of several people I have known over the years.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:46:31 AM by tfferg »

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4223 on: January 05, 2023, 10:16:55 AM »
The 10 Best Books of 2022

The staff of The New York Times Book Review choose the year’s standout fiction and nonfiction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/29/books/best-books-2022.html

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4224 on: January 05, 2023, 10:19:19 AM »
THE BEST LGBTQ+ BOOKS OF 2022

Laura Sackton Dec 15, 2022

Let me start by saying this is not a list of the best queer books of 2022. It’s a list of 12 of the best queer books of 2022. This has been an incredible year for LGBTQ+ lit. Romance, fantasy, contemporary fiction, speculative fiction, mystery, memoir: I dare you to name a genre that hasn’t had at least a few incredible queer releases this year. And I don’t say that lightly, because it hasn’t always been the case. So making a relatively short list of the best queer books of the year just isn’t possible. There are too many.

What I’ve done instead is select 12 amazing queer books across a wide variety of genres. Together, these books represent the spirit of this year’s queer lit. They’re silly and heartbreaking and joyful, funny and serious and challenging, thought-provoking and sexy and complicated These are books that I personally have loved and that my fellow Rioters have loved. I’ve included the major genres in fiction and nonfiction, as well as a few non-genre categories, like essay collections, short story collections, and YA.

https://bookriot.com/best-lgbtq-books-2022/

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4225 on: January 12, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »
My book group just finished "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. It's a bestseller and he's well known for "A Gentleman in Moscow" as well. It's based in 1954 and is about an 18 year old and his younger brother who are (initially) on a road trip from Nebraska to Omaha and then they are planning on going to San Francisco to find there mother, but things happen along the way and they wind up in New York City. It's kind of a romp and was a lot of fun to read. The younger brother (Billy) is a particularly fun character. He is constantly reading from a fictional book Professor Abacus Abernathe's "Compendium of Heroes, Adventurers, and Other Intrepid Travelers." The older brother, Emmett, has just been discharged from a juvenile facility and two of his fellow inmates escape and follow him.

It was a lot of fun to read, but I seriously think Mr. Towles may have gotten a little too successful and editors are now afraid to touch his books. This one came in at 576 pages.

Regardless, this one stimulated my readers and we had a lively conversation.

Here's a review from NPR:

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/05/1043187103/amor-towles-the-lincoln-highway-review

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:40:44 AM by gattaca »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4228 on: January 31, 2023, 11:28:44 PM »
Gay South African novelist Damon Galgut's life in India led him to discover E M Forster (who Brokies know as the author of Maurice). He  was born during the homophobic apartheid regime.

He was intrigued by the fact that Forster was unable to complete and publish another novel between the success of Howards End in 1910 and A Passage to India in 1924. He started to write a novel entitled Arctic Summer in 1911, but abandoned it in 1912. What happened when he visited gay activist Edward Carpenter and his lover George Merrill in their secluded rural retreat  inspired him to write Maurice, but he felt it was too dangerous to publish until after his death.

Forster was asked to tutor an emotionally expressive Indian Muslim student, Syed Ross Masood, in Latin before he went to study law at Oxford and fell in love with him. The success of Howards End enabled Forster to go to visit Masood during a six-week trip to India in 1912. During World War I, Forster worked for the Red Cross as a searcher in British military hospitals in Alexandria. There he fell in love with the young Egyptian tram conductor Mohammed el-Adl. After the war, Forster travelled to India to work for the Maharajah of Dewas who set up visits by Kanaya, a young court barber.

Damon Galgut felt he and Forster had in common their involvement in India, the challenges of novel writing and their sexuality. His fascination with Forster's contradictions and the complexity of his character inspired him to write his own novel Arctic Summer (2014). The book covers the period from 1912 through to the completion of A Passage of India and Masood's death. It explores how Forster got stuck and imagines how he got unstuck.

The novel follows the events of Forster's life and work at the time closely and what was already well known, such as how he lived with his smothering widowed mother till she died; his travels; the fact that the law led him to suppress his homosexuality; his fear of dying a virgin; the externalities of his relationship with Masood and Mohammed. They both married women.

Forster wrote little or nothing about the big interior emotional events of his life in his diaries. Damon Galgut insightfully imagines the most significant interactions and conversations between Forster and the raffish British officer Kenneth Seawright, Edward Carpenter, the Alexandrian poet Constantine Cavafy and others as well as Masood and Mohammed.

Imagining what seems to have happened between Forster and Masood on the night before Forster visits the Barabar Caves without  him leads Damon Galgut to suggest how he was able to break through his writer's block and eventually complete A Passage to India including the pivotal scene in the Malabar Caves. The book is considered by many to be his greatest. Forster dedicated it to Syed Ross Massood.

Arctic Summer is full of interesting details.

It explores Forster's loneliness and silence, but during this period of life, he did come to understand himself more deeply and
understand more about other people. He said that he had lived and loved.

Damon Galgut dedicated his Arctic Summer "To Riyaz Ahmad Mir and the fourteen years of our Friendship."

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:06:46 AM by tfferg »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4229 on: February 01, 2023, 02:12:54 AM »

Thanks for this detailled review, Tony.

:)
WISE UP