The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 965971 times)

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #405 on: August 02, 2006, 02:30:41 PM »
Rosewood, I'm so glad you enjoyed the Temeraire book.  I want a dragon of my own now, lol.  Might be a wee bit expensive to feed him though.  You'll enjoy the next two books in the series as well.  Temeraire really comes into his own and starts to look at the world around him. 

I just read another interesting book(s) by Storm Constantine entitled Wreaththu.  This one really turns the entire idea of gender on its ear. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic(?) world where homo sapiens is on the wane and a mutation in males has given birth to a new order of beings that are hermaphrodites.  Yes, hermaphrodites.  Its a character driven story. I really enjoyed it.

Swordspoint is a lot of fun. Kushner's style is reminiscent of Georgette Heyer.  Kinda, lol. Although it's housed in the fantasy shelves, there's not a bit of magic to be found in the story, but it does have plenty of swordplay.  Richard, master swordsman and assassin for hire and his slightly psycho lover Alec, are two of my favorite literary lovers.  Just last month a new installment of this series, The Privilege of the Sword, was published.  It's a fun read, too.

Happy reading!   :)

Well, for some reason SWORDSPOINT hasn't come in at the library yet, so I think
I'm just going to go ahead and order it from B&N. And I'll take a look at your new recommendation
as well. You haven't been wrong yet....!

As for Temeraire, well, let's just say I stayed up all night reading THRONE OF JADE as well.
What is this spell that this dragon has cast over me?  :D
Just when I thought well, how good can the second book be? The first was great, you can't top
great. Well, Naomi Novik proved me wrong.
THRONE OF JADE is superb.
Even better than the first book only because she enlarges the story. Shows us the clash of three
such vastly different worlds: the rigidity of England, life at sea on a long voyage (the stop at the slave
port was chilling), and then the fascinating world of a mystical 19th century China.
Absolutely wonderful stuff.

Why hasn't someone bought this for the movies???

Haven't read the third book yet precisely because it is the third book and once I'm done I'll
have to say goodbye to Laurence and Temeraire, at least for now.

Wanted to recommend a couple of books in return, JoeAnn.

JONATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORRELL by Susanna Clark
Quite a weighty tome, but so well worth wading through. Magicians as a matter of course,
aiding and abetting England's side during Napoleonic times.
Less thrilling than Novik and written in the kind of 19th century style that takes getting used to,
still I recommend it. Though probably NOT to be read at one sitting.  ;)

ZORRO by Isabel Allende
Not much more needs to be said, I suppose.
Old and familiar story, brilliantly recreated by a famed South American novelist.

ODD THOMAS by Dean Koontz
Though I'm not a big fan of horror, I admit I've discovered Dean Koontz late in life and fallen for
his ability to create intelligent, touching, enigmatic heroes who have the ability to tell right from wrong.
NOT an easy thing, let me tell you.
In ODD THOMAS he's created a masterpiece.
If you don't fall under his spell within the first few chapters, then stop reading.
The book isn't working for you.
This is a totally character driven piece that works precisely because Odd is so strongly conceived.
For me, it was absolutely spellbinding.

Another book that I recommend is almost impossible to find.
It is a Harlequin Historical from 1991, so you probably won't be able to get your hands on it.
(Unless you go through an old book dealer who specializes in this sort of thing.)
If you do, you're in for a real treat.
I've never read another Harlequin like it. (Well, actually, I stopped reading reading 'romances' years
ago, but, luckily discovered this one through a recommendation from a friend of mine.)
TO TOUCH THE SUN by Barbara Leigh is sword and derring do historical set during the 1300's when
England was almost continuously at war with somebody or other. The main character, Drue, is a
young woman raised to fight as a knight. She gets away with masqarading as a young man
almost until the end of the book. When she meets and defeats an enemy knight on
the battlefield, she begins to have feelings for him that she's never experienced before.
She knows that submitting to a man will bring an end her entire way of life.
He, though married, begins to feel the same towards Drue even though he thinks her a man.
Confused and angry, he imagines that he's losing his mind since he's never had this happen
to him before. What happens to both of them makes for a very unique love story, wonderfully
written and conceived. As I said, haven't read anything like this before or since, especially in the
genre category. In fact, this book, to my mind, raised genre to a new level.

Other books you might enjoy are the Thursday Next series by British writer Jasper Fforde.
Set in a kind of alternate universe where things in England and the world have developed on
different levels and realities from our own, time travel exists, and characters from novels can, not only pop
in and out of their own books, but in and out of 'reality' as well. If not curtailed, they can alter not only their own story lines (you can see where in the classics, this might cause some consternation if characters were  to change not only well established endings, but to jump into other books and remain there) but the reality of the established world as well. Overseeing all this is the menacingly giant and aptly named Goliath Corporation which controls all, including the government.

Thursday Next is a literary detective in charge of tracking down recalcitrant characters and any other mysteries having to do with books and history or whatever.
Expect lots of literary puns, outrageousness, brilliant plot machinations and not too too much
sense. Fforde naturally expects his reading audience to keep up with his inventive rapid-fire mind.
Not always easy, but definitely worth it. I LOVE this series. The titles, in order, are:
THE EYRE AFFAIR
LOST IN A GOOD BOOK
WELL OF LOST PLOTS
SOMETHING ROTTEN

The books actually get better and better as they go along. Love that Thursday hangs out
with Hamlet in SOMETHING ROTTEN. He is under suspicion of being a spy and in hiding,
when all things Danish are forbidden in the new reality of Thursday's latest adventure which brings
to mind nothing less than the Nazi repression of the Jews before and during WWII.
Amazing what Fforde can do under the guise of satire.

Well, that's enough for now, I think.  :D
Happy reading, JoeAnn.

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2006, 08:58:47 AM »
I bought Jonathan Strange the week it came out. Good read, if a bit on the slow side.  And Zorro is an old fave from childhood.  Always loved that character!

I haven't tried Dean Koontz yet, although his books are everywhere. I'll definitely pick him up.  As for the Barbara Leigh book, as a longtime romance reader I'm surprised I didn't catch that one the first time around.  From what you described it sounds like the author didn't flake out on the gender switch issues.  It always aggravates me when an author sets it up and then doesn't have the courage to explore it.  I'm sure you've read Georgette Heyer's The Masqueraders?  It's an old fave.

The Jasper Fforde books sound absolutely delightful.  I can't believe I haven't read them.  Where have I been? lol  I'll be making a trip to the bookstore this weekend.  Thanks for the recs!

BTW, have you by any chance read Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles?

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2006, 02:38:06 PM »
I bought Jonathan Strange the week it came out. Good read, if a bit on the slow side.  And Zorro is an old fave from childhood.  Always loved that character!

I haven't tried Dean Koontz yet, although his books are everywhere. I'll definitely pick him up.  As for the Barbara Leigh book, as a longtime romance reader I'm surprised I didn't catch that one the first time around.  From what you described it sounds like the author didn't flake out on the gender switch issues.  It always aggravates me when an author sets it up and then doesn't have the courage to explore it.  I'm sure you've read Georgette Heyer's The Masqueraders?  It's an old fave.

The Jasper Fforde books sound absolutely delightful.  I can't believe I haven't read them.  Where have I been? lol  I'll be making a trip to the bookstore this weekend.  Thanks for the recs!

Haven't heard of or read the Dorothy Dunnetts.....I'll check at the library.
I've read some Georgette Heyer, eons ago, but I'm not familiar with this title, I'll look for it as well.

You know, I"m racking my brain to recommend an Anne Stuart book from years ago that
deals with gender switching in a very comic way, but damned if I can remember the title.
It is a historical where the two male heroes, brothers I think, or best friends, wind up having
to masquerade as women and the two women heroines wind up having to masquerade as
men. It is a total romp and very funny. Not to be taken seriously at all. But I remember being
very impressed (in between laughs) at Anne Stuart's fearlessness in handling even this topic in the guise
of a romance. SHADOWPLAY? Maybe that's the title. It vaguely resonates.

If you look for Dean Koontz - Just try ODD THOMAS first.....I guarantee you will LOVE it.
In my opinion, it is his masterpiece.
I own the book and have given it as a present to several friends. Anyone I've recommended this
book to, invariably loves it. Even horror-phobes.

If you like Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next books, you'll also love his Nursery Crimes series.
Yes, I kid you not.
In THE BIG OVER EASY, the hero has to solve the murder of Humpty Dumpty.
Yes, believe it or don't.
This new series is a testament to Jasper Fforde's wild imagination.
I LOVED it and am impatiently waiting for the next.

PS Have you read Elizabeth's Peter's Amelia Peabody series yet?
Have to start from the very first: CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK and you need to have a certain
sense of comic irony and appreciation of early 20th century literature.
Somehow I think you do.
Amelia is one of those strong, opinionated, turn of the century Victorian women who set out to have adventures (this time in Egypt) and change their lives, all the while convinced of their own superiority.
She is a TOTAL delight. Eventually she marries and I've always said that in ALL literature there is only ONE
man I'd marry without a momen's hesitation and that is Amelia's hubby, the totally insane, totally
irascible archeologist Radcliffe Emerson - he and Amelia are two of my all time favorite characters.

Lewis Carroll

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2006, 06:35:12 PM »
It's not what I've read (yet) but I sure intend on reading this once it comes out!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312349866/sr=8-1/qid=1152398889/ref=sr_1_1/104-2126888-7327107?ie=UTF8

Oh my, I too have thought of packing my stuff and leaving. I have even gone to those immigrate to Canada web sites. What would I do though. I wonder how I would feel leaving the U.S..

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #409 on: August 08, 2006, 12:48:18 PM »

Hi rosewood and JoeAnn!  Michael the librarian here - I'm loving your discussion!  I just wanted to post a page for you from Random House on the Lymond Chronicles - it has a discussion guide as well as a general discussion of her work:

http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/dunnett/lymond/about.html

Sorry for the interruption and please do go on!

mf
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #410 on: August 08, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
It's not what I've read (yet) but I sure intend on reading this once it comes out!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312349866/sr=8-1/qid=1152398889/ref=sr_1_1/104-2126888-7327107?ie=UTF8

Oh my, I too have thought of packing my stuff and leaving. I have even gone to those immigrate to Canada web sites. What would I do though. I wonder how I would feel leaving the U.S..

I just got back from Vancouver, where I had a terrific time, so this might not be exactly the best time to ask me that question.  It seemed very doable to me this time.  There's another book on working in Canada associate with that link I posted that looks good too!

Fortunately one of my co-librarians has ordered this book.  I'll let you know if it looks any good when it comes in (it is released on 8/22).
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline czterrier

• Expert
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
A forum member loaned me this book Common Sons by Ronald L. Donaghe. 1989 copyright. Fantastic read.
In fact I have not been able to put it down. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I haven't gone back throught all the pages in this thread.

It's a coming out and coming to grips with life and self book for 2 teenage boys. Lots of struggles and it covers all sorts of life obstacles. I really liked this one.

I read this book earlier this year, after seeing BBM, and loved it.  I read it in a day, then re-read a week later so that I could really savor and enjoy it.  I even emailed the author telling him how much I loved it and he responded.

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2006, 09:33:43 PM »
Thanks for the link, Michael.   :)  The Lymond Chronicles are 6 of the 7 books ( the seventh being a good dictionary) I would take to a deserted island with me and Francis Crawford of Lymond is the hero by which I (and pretty much anyone who's read the series) measure all heroes.  These are arguably the best historical fiction books out there.  Dunnett's prose is dense and meticulously researched and oh, so worth the effort! Every few years I reread them only to fall in love again with Lymond.

Offline sophieernie

• Expert
  • The Oscar Fan Club
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2006, 09:43:55 PM »
This summer I have read As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.  I found it with a search for gay historical fiction on Amazon and it had some good reviews, so I took a chance.

WHOA!

It is about a servant turned soldier in Cromwell/Revolutionary England.  Jacob, running away from a crime and his own demons, joins the army and begins a friendship that slowly (w/o Jacob realizing) turns into obsession, and eventually a sexual relationship.

It is a very character driven book about a protagonist with a tragic flaw.  I really enjoyed the book, and it haunted me for days.  The end was quite disturbing and powerful.  It was one of those books that I could not stop thinking about....

Highly reccomended with some very erotic scenes (FYI: most of which are homosexual, if you hadn't figured as much)

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »

Hi rosewood and JoeAnn!  Michael the librarian here - I'm loving your discussion!  I just wanted to post a page for you from Random House on the Lymond Chronicles - it has a discussion guide as well as a general discussion of her work:

http://www.randomhouse.com/vintage/dunnett/lymond/about.html

Sorry for the interruption and please do go on!

mf

Thanks Michael, for the link. I have these books listed as my next big indulge moment.
But first I'm trying to whittle down the piles of books that I have listing dangerously around my house,
in every room, in every nook and cranny. Neverending.
But since JoeAnn hasn't been wrong yet, I might just have to do another quick library
maneuver.  :D

My book budget for the month is shot.
I feel as if B&N online and I are on too intimate terms.
Just received Jasper Fforde's lates Nursery Crimes thriller, THE FOURTH BEAR......I can't
adequately describe these books, you really need to go to Jasper's website to check out
the lunacy. Literate lunacy, but lunacy nonetheless.  ;) www.jasperfforde.com

"Because the Forest will always be there...
and anybody who is Friendly with Bears can
find it."
              a.a.milne

Also ordered two Robert McCammon books on a friend's recommendation:
(I'd already read SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD, Vol. 1 and 2, and loved them !!!)
A BOY'S LIFE  and
THE WOLF'S HOUR

Now I'm not one for werewolves, per se. But how could I not read a book where the
hero turns into a werewolf and fights the Nazis!!!!!
Sound fun.

Want to recommend the work of Laurie King, if you haven't already discovered her.
She writes standalones and two (or three) series.
If I were going to the proverbial desert island and could only take a few books, then
three of them would be Laurie's:
THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE
O' JERUSALEM
THE MOOR
This is the series in which an aging Sherlock Holmes meets the one and only woman to
equal his brilliance AND what's more, she turns out to be the woman of his heart. She's only
fifteen when they first meet and he's retired to the Sussex Downs.
Sounds perfectly awful, I know.
But it isn't.
Laurie King is so damned brilliant, she finds a way to make the whole unexpected thing work.
I kid you not.
The books are all told in the first person, from the point of view of Mary Russell, the young prodigy who
intrigues Holmes from the getgo when he first mistakes her for a boy...
If Conan Doyle were alive, I believe he'd approve. King takes Holmes, humanizes him and makes
him believable as a flesh and blood man, while still keeping his eccentricities and quirks in place.
I LOVE these books almost above all books I've ever read.

I'm just now starting to read another series of King's featuring gay San Francisco cop Kate Martinelli.
First book: A GRAVE TALENT won the Edgar as Best Debut in its year of pub.
Hadn't read this series more through thinking that NOTHING could match her Holmes series,
but I'm taking the plunge. Bought her latest Martinelli: THE ART OF DETECTION and figured
I should at least have read the first Kate. If I love it, I'll read the rest.

So many books, so little time.......!!!

Lewis Carroll

Offline pwday

• Expert
« Reply #415 on: August 23, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
I just finished a book that had punched me in the gut and ripped my heart out, much the same way that BBM did.    It has some of the same themes (love, loss, regret) but is in an entirely different setting.    The book is called "The Kite Runner."   I loved it, and I think other Broke-a-hoics would also.  It is beautiful and sad.

Has anyone here read it?  I know it's quite popular, so I imagine many of you have.   
"Anything interesting up there in heaven?"
"I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »
Oh, yes...The Kite Runner. A punch in the heart, for sure.

It was one of those that made me want to start conversations with strangers just to recommend it.
"One's enough"  A.P.

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2006, 09:31:52 PM »
Haven't had much time to read lately, but things are finally starting to slow down.  Got Jasper Fford's The Big Over Easy from the library this afternoon and am loving what I've read of it so far  :D   For the most part I'm not a big fan of myteries.  I usually don't care who did it, how or why, but if there are fun characters to follow then I'm happy to go along for the ride. If the rest of this book is as good as the first few chapters, I'll definitely put the rest on order.  I've been jonsin' for a good reading glom this week.

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2006, 09:42:46 PM »
It would take some time to read  Wally Lamb's 900-plus page book I Know This Much Is True but I found it worth the time. There are 'mysteries' within .... :)

The Kite Runner is going to be made into a movie, due in 2007. 
"One's enough"  A.P.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2006, 11:27:36 PM »
Haven't had much time to read lately, but things are finally starting to slow down.  Got Jasper Fford's The Big Over Easy from the library this afternoon and am loving what I've read of it so far  :D   For the most part I'm not a big fan of myteries.  I usually don't care who did it, how or why, but if there are fun characters to follow then I'm happy to go along for the ride. If the rest of this book is as good as the first few chapters, I'll definitely put the rest on order.  I've been jonsin' for a good reading glom this week.

Jasper FFord is one of my favorite authors.  His mix of silly, surreal and a little bit of serious crime solving often have me laughing out loud.  I enjoyed the Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book the most.  I read he has a new one out that I am meaning to get to : The Forth Bear: a Nursery Crime
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others