The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 961929 times)

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
ROFL, Rosewood.  You beat me to it!  I just read the news over at RottenTomatoes and I'm thrilled too.  Of all the directors, I think Peter Jackson would "get" Temeraire.  These books have only been out 6 months or so.  Although movie rights are often sold early, it's so rare for a book to get snapped up like this so fast.  Now, can Jake do an English accent?  lol

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »
JoeAnn, I actually let out screech when I read the news!
Scared my dog to hell and back.  :D
A friend in Seattle sent me an email knowing I'd be
thrilled.

I've been tirelessly, and probably tiresome-ly getting everyone
and anyone I know to read these wonderful books.
And let me tell you, everyone who reads them loves them.

I can't ever thank you enough, JoeAnn, for recommending the
Temeraire trilogy to me. AND I'm not ever a major fantasy fan.
But there's just something about these particular characters
that is just so damned special. They are unique, that's for sure.
AND so beautifully written.

Peter Jackson is the PERFECT person to do these films.
He'll honor the work AND have his people create the most
amazing special effects. Of that I'm sure.
Now I just have to have the patience to wait.
And wait.
He's working on THE LOVELY BONES now, so I guess
we're talking at least four or five more years.....Jeez.
But I can wait.
I know it will be worthwhile in the end.

I was immediately thinking of Colin Firth as Laurence,
but then I thought, he'll be too old by the time
filming begins.....Too bad.

AND the voice of Temeraire will have to be someone
pretty SPECIAL. A younger sounding Jeremy Irons,
I would hope. He has one of the loveliest sounding
voices in the world, but of course it is starting to thicken
with age now......

Sigh....I'll just have to learn to curb my impatience.
Somehow.

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2006, 07:19:04 PM »
You know, I could see Peter Jackson tapping Heath Ledger for the role of Laurence.  We know he can act (understantement) and he's young enough looking that by the time they get around to filming he'll still have the face for it.  Jake can do Temeraire's voice. <g> How's that for a BBM reunion?  lol

Like you, it's nice to have a big film to look forward to down the line. After The Return of the King came out I felt bereft with no LOTR to get hyped about every year.

Offline JoeAnn

• Experienced
« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
Woops, I hit post too quickly. You're entirely welcome for the book rec.  :)  Everyone I've steered in Temeraire's direction has loved the books.  Naomi Novik certainly hit a homerun.  I picked them up after reading an enthusiastic review from Stephen King, of all people.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #454 on: September 17, 2006, 06:24:14 PM »
Well I have not read it yet because it doesn't come out till Tuesday, but I want to plug a book by Frank Rich that I'm really excited about, for two reasons:

1. He's a great writer and a great critic of the Bush administration, and it promises to be one of the best critiques yet of those bastards.

2. He's been a bit of a mentor to me and really helped me with my career. I'm really grateful to him, and I'm also really impressed that he would reach a hand down to help out a struggling writer like me whenever he could.

It's due out Tuesday and it's already #3 at Amazon, so you're going to be hearing a lot more about it.

The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina

From Publishers Weekly:

Starred Review. This blistering j'accuse has vitriol to spare for George Bush—calling him a "spoiled brat" and "blowhard"—and his policies, but its main target is the PR machinery that promoted those policies to the American people. New York Times columnist Rich revisits nearly every Bush administration publicity gambit, including Iraqi WMD claims, Bush's "Mission Accomplished" triumph, the Swift-boating of John Kerry and the writing of fake prowar letters-to-the-editor from soldiers. He uncovers nothing new, but his meticulously researched recap-cum-debunking—complete with appended 80-page time line comparing administration spin to actual events—builds a comprehensive picture of a White House propaganda campaign to bamboozle the public, smear critics, camouflage policy disasters and win the 2002 and 2004 elections through trumped-up security anxieties. Along the way, he pillories a sycophantic media (Bob Woodward gets spanked hard), spineless Democrats and an infotainment culture that happily accommodates the Bush administration's erasure of the line between reality and fiction. Sometimes Rich's critique of Republican politics as cynical image-manipulation goes overboard, as in his "wag the dog" theory of the Iraq war as a Karl Rove electoral maneuver; more often, though, it's on target. The result is a caustic, hard-hitting indictment of the Bush administration, timed to make a splash in the upcoming election campaign. (Sept. 19)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=davecullencom-20&creative=373669&camp=210949&link_code=st1&adid=009SADCQ408465XTVGPQ&path=ASIN/159420098X
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 10:59:37 AM by Dave Cullen »

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #455 on: September 17, 2006, 06:43:49 PM »
I'm a little late as usual, catching up on this thread. But I was wondering:

Does anyone remember Mary Renault's The Persian Boy? The fictionalized history of Bagoas, Alexander the Great's persian lover/valet? It is a fantastic story, one my older sister had hanging around as part of her historical novel collection, and I read it in early adulthood, and I think this was the book that opened my eyes to love between men. There are haunting emotional undertones about duty, sacrifice, secrets, that I sensed when saw BBM the movie.
There is even an ancient castration.  Very different stories, but similiar problems with "how will people see me/us?" only in a very different social, political and chronological era. But some similiar problems of jealousy; prejudice, not getting enough from the beloved,etc.

This character appears in "Funeral Games" and I think briefly in "The Beacon At Alexandria", both post Alexander's death.

Anyway, I may reread it; just wondering if anyone else has. I haven't heard it mentioned in this forum before.
CSI

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »
Well I have not read it yet because it doesn't come out till Tuesday, but I want to plug a book by Frank Rich that I'm really excited about, for two reasons:

1. He's a great writer and a great critic of the Bush administration, and it promises to be one of the best critiques yet of those bastards.

2. He's been a bit of a mentor to me and really helped me with my career. I'm really grateful to him, and I'm also really impressed that he would reach a hand down to help out a struggling writer like me whenever he could.

It's due out Tuesday and it's already #3 at Amazon, so you're going to be hearing a lot more about it.

The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina

From Publishers Weekly:

Starred Review. This blistering j'accuse has vitriol to spare for George Bush—calling him a "spoiled brat" and "blowhard"—and his policies, but its main target is the PR machinery that promoted those policies to the American people. New York Times columnist Rich revisits nearly every Bush administration publicity gambit, including Iraqi WMD claims, Bush's "Mission Accomplished" triumph, the Swift-boating of John Kerry and the writing of fake prowar letters-to-the-editor from soldiers. He uncovers nothing new, but his meticulously researched recap-cum-debunking—complete with appended 80-page time line comparing administration spin to actual events—builds a comprehensive picture of a White House propaganda campaign to bamboozle the public, smear critics, camouflage policy disasters and win the 2002 and 2004 elections through trumped-up security anxieties. Along the way, he pillories a sycophantic media (Bob Woodward gets spanked hard), spineless Democrats and an infotainment culture that happily accommodates the Bush administration's erasure of the line between reality and fiction. Sometimes Rich's critique of Republican politics as cynical image-manipulation goes overboard, as in his "wag the dog" theory of the Iraq war as a Karl Rove electoral maneuver; more often, though, it's on target. The result is a caustic, hard-hitting indictment of the Bush administration, timed to make a splash in the upcoming election campaign. (Sept. 19)

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Story-Ever-Sold-Decline/dp/159420098X/sr=8-1/qid=1158472117/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6208555-3536664?ie=UTF8&s=books

Oh, for sure, Dave.
Saw FR on Don Imus this morning.
Turned it off immediately after Frank finished cause that idiot that Don has on
every Monday came on. What do you suppose is the story between those
two? Jeez.

Frank's book AND Thomas Rick's FIASCO, The American Military Adventure in Iraq,
I think, are THE books to read before the election.

I like Rick's use of the word: 'adventure.' Very telling.

And I like Frank's 'Sold' for 'Told'.
It will probably drive the right wing evagelicals into a frenzy.
Always nice.  :D

Funny thing, Dave, most of the authors I've been lucky enough to
meet, think nothing of helping out a struggling beginner when they
can. This is one of the best traits, I've discovered among writers.
I'm always amazed that though being a successful author
necessitates a HUGE ego, there seems to be very little jealousy
in evidence. At least, that's been my experience.

I'm a fledgling writer myself, currently working on a mystery.
I already have three (Count 'em - THREE!) published writers in the genre
ready and willing to read and offer whatever advice they can.
How sweet is that?
Must be my charming personality.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:41:39 PM by rosewood »
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2006, 03:05:33 PM »
Funny thing, Dave, most of the writers I've been lucky enough to
meet, think nothing of helping out a struggling writer when they
can. This is one of the best traits, I've discovered among writers.
I'm always amazed that though being a successful author, necessarily,
necessitates a HUGE ego, there seems to be very little jealousy
in evidence. At least, that's been my experience.

I'm a fledgling writer myself, currently working on a mystery.
I already have three (Count 'em - THREE!) published writers in the genre
ready and willing to read and offer whatever advice they can.
How sweet is that?
Must be my charming personality.  ;D

yes, it is a great trait. i've been surprised how helpful they can be, too.

the other person that really helped me was richard goldstein, exec editor of the village voice. he emailed me after one of my first salon pieces and told me how much he liked it and admired the voice. just to have that vote of confidence--you can't imagine the impact it made. and when i came to visit ny, he showed my then bf and me around manhattan. really nice guy.

but frank is the one i owe the biggest debt. he's cited my work several times in his column and he's never too busy to return a phone call or email to offer me advice. and he talks exactly how he writes. what you see is who he is. i just met him in person one time, for drinks in chelsea, and he was just great. really good guy. i'm so excited for him on this book. it's #2 on amazon now. very exciting. obviously, he's used to the fame being a times columnist, but there's nothing like a bestselling book. i think this is his first to reach heights anything like this.

good luck with your books, rosewood. that's great that they're helping you out.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2006, 10:55:28 AM »
OK, we've got a link to the Frank Rich book, now, where Amazon donates 7% of the price you pay to us (at no cost to you):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=davecullencom-20&creative=373669&camp=210949&link_code=st1&adid=009SADCQ408465XTVGPQ&path=ASIN/159420098X

and we've got a prominent link at the books page of our site store here:

http://www.davecullen.com/brokeback/store/books.html

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #459 on: September 19, 2006, 11:39:11 AM »

Does anyone remember Mary Renault's The Persian Boy? The fictionalized history of Bagoas, Alexander the Great's persian lover/valet? It is a fantastic story, one my older sister had hanging around as part of her historical novel collection, and I read it in early adulthood, and I think this was the book that opened my eyes to love between men. There are haunting emotional undertones about duty, sacrifice, secrets, that I sensed when saw BBM the movie.
There is even an ancient castration.  Very different stories, but similiar problems with "how will people see me/us?" only in a very different social, political and chronological era. But some similiar problems of jealousy; prejudice, not getting enough from the beloved,etc.

This character appears in "Funeral Games" and I think briefly in "The Beacon At Alexandria", both post Alexander's death.

Anyway, I may reread it; just wondering if anyone else has. I haven't heard it mentioned in this forum before.
CSI

CSI,
I remember the book, have it, but haven't read it (yet).  I know the historical story of Alexander but don't think I've read the historical fiction.  I'm wondering:  why don't you suggest this to the book club as a future selection (or I will)?
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2006, 12:18:02 PM »

CSI

CSI,
I remember the book, have it, but haven't read it (yet).  I know the historical story of Alexander but don't think I've read the historical fiction.  I'm wondering:  why don't you suggest this to the book club as a future selection (or I will)?

How about THE CHARIOTEER by Mary Renault? I read it recently after a recommendation from
someone on this very thread and LOVED it. But THE PERSIAN BOY would do just as well.
I believe I have it here in the house somewhere, but have never read it.
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Desecra

« Reply #461 on: September 19, 2006, 02:07:04 PM »
Does anyone remember Mary Renault's The Persian Boy?

I remember it - I read a load of Mary Renault as a teenager.  I loved the books, but I do remember that there seemed to be very little humour [or very little that I found funny, anyway :)].  Did anyone else find that?

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #462 on: September 19, 2006, 05:11:24 PM »
OK, I started a separate thread on Frank Rich's The Greatest Story Ever Sold: The Decline and Fall of Truth from 9/11 to Katrina:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=12952.new#new

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

CSI

CSI,

That is a fine idea; I would really recommend this book; interestingly the narration is not unlike AP's; it is spare and earthy, and still manages to cross cultural boundaries via the thinking process: It is an I narration. It pulls you right in.......

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2006, 08:35:27 PM »
anyone catch oprah today? she devoted the entire hour to the gay ex-New Jersey governor, and his book, "The Confession."

oprah bothered me a little with some of her questions, but i give her major credit for sincerely trying. she's getting there.

and man, she devoted an entire hour in her coveted premiere week to this. it's an important topic. and the book is #16 on amazon now. it was probably in nowhere land yesterday.

i was also very heartened to hear a great deal of her audience applaud for gay marriage at the end. that gave me a big sense of relief. i don't need the whole country behind me, but it sure does feel better to know that some people are.

the book is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Confession-James-E-McGreevey/dp/0060898623/sr=1-1/qid=1158719208/ref=sr_1_1/103-6208555-3536664?ie=UTF8&s=books