The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 961943 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #615 on: January 08, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
Just a quick reminder, readers!  If you have a book that you really like, there is probably no better place to let people know about it (other than here) than in the 'Favorite passages' thread:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=4517.0

There hasn't been much posted there recently and that's sad, considering how much we love our books!  I know it takes time to type the passages out, but hey, what a wonderful way to honor the authors we love so much!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #616 on: January 08, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
Hey michael, after reading Perrotta's book I plan to see the film Little Children this week also.

The New Yorker gave it a so-so review-- we'll see!
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #617 on: January 08, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »
Micheal--

Thanks for the info ob HELLFIRE NATION. Its sounds great.

Question?  Do you know of any book that might get some info on Suddam Hussien, a good one that is. I have this debate w/ a friend taht Suudam killed more people than Hitiler did? I think not- kill over 11 Million? She of course is a republican and feeds off what they sell.
I was just wondering if you know of any.

THANKS- or if anyone else does.

Tom

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #618 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:42 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations for Robert Crais - he has been on my 'I must read something by him' list for a long time but somehow I haven't  gotten around to it - does anyone have a recommendation for one to start with?

Another favorite of mine for mysteries is Minette Walters, although calling them mysteries could be over simplifying. Sometimes the mystery is just to figure out if something illlegal/violent actually happened. I enjoy her writing and character development
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #619 on: January 08, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »
Micheal--

Thanks for the info ob HELLFIRE NATION. Its sounds great.

Question?  Do you know of any book that might get some info on Suddam Hussien, a good one that is. I have this debate w/ a friend taht Suudam killed more people than Hitiler did? I think not- kill over 11 Million? She of course is a republican and feeds off what they sell.
I was just wondering if you know of any.

THANKS- or if anyone else does.

Tom

Oh brother.  There are a few books I can think of, but I haven't read any of them.  Here are some of them:

'The Saddam Hussein Reader' edited by Turi Munthe
'Saddam: King of Terror' - Con Coughlin
'The Reckoning: Iraq and the Legacy of Saddam Hussein' by Sandra Mackey

Note that according to the World Book encyclopedia (1997) the estimated population of Iraq in 1996 was 21,882,000.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #620 on: January 09, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
For your non-fiction poll, I'm going to put another plug in for Paul Monette's "Borrowed Time:  An AIDS Memoir." 

Earlier I said that the first 8 pages were great -- well, the whole thing is, really.  It was so late at night when I was reading that I skipped some of the early chapters, but plan to read them when there's more time.  From somewhere about one-third in, I kept reading and couldn't put the book down.  It's one that makes you cry. 

It is both a caring story of what one man did to try to save his lover (or "friend" but he means so much more than than that), and a story with some facts about various treatments that were being tried at the time.  But the emphasis is all on the human dimension, not statistics.

I'm sure I'm repeating something from one of the advertisements or reviews for the book, but if so, I agree:  it's not just an AIDS story, it's not just a gay story; it's a very human story which anyone dealing with loss of a loved one from any cause (cancer, etc.) could identify with.

The one thing that is more typical of AIDS is that both men had the disease, one getting sicker while the other was functioning quite well.  So the survivor, Paul Monette (who has since died of the same illness) made it his cause, before his own death, to write a book about their life together, and how Roger died.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 06:03:11 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline sophieernie

• Expert
  • The Oscar Fan Club
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #621 on: January 10, 2007, 07:56:29 AM »
Here's a question for you - are you familiar with Steven Saylor and/or do you like his writing? The woman who runs the mystery club at the library I work in sing his praises. Here's his wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Saylor

Here's his website:

http://www.stevensaylor.com/

And here's another website on him:

http://www.glbtq.com/literature/saylor_s.html

Steven Saylor is one of my all time favorites.  He writes mysteries staring Gordianus the Finder (an ancient Roman PI).  He has such a great voice and weaves history with humor and plot.  I love all his books and his stories, especially the later ones Rubicon, Last Seen in Massalia, and The Judgement of Caesar have a rumored homosexual relationship between Gordianus' adopted son (a soldier) and Julius Caesar himself!  Quite juicy and a quick, light read. 

He has also just come out with a new Colleen McCullough style epic, generational novel that will be published in March (called Roma).  I cannot wait to read this, I have already pre-ordered.

On the subject of Colleen McCullough (The Thorn Birds) wrote at least two novels about Sulla (the roman General and leader) who had a lifelong relationship with the male actore Metrobius.  I think one is called The Grass Crown.

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #622 on: January 10, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »
Thanks for all the recommendations for Robert Crais - he has been on my 'I must read something by him' list for a long time but somehow I haven't  gotten around to it - does anyone have a recommendation for one to start with?

Another favorite of mine for mysteries is Minette Walters, although calling them mysteries could be over simplifying. Sometimes the mystery is just to figure out if something illlegal/violent actually happened. I enjoy her writing and character development

Oh for sure, the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike books by Robert Crais HAVE to be read in order.
No question. They are deceptively light hearted and unpretentious.
Start with THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT which is the first.
A terrific debut but not the best in the series.
The two characters develope from there though and you'll get a handle on
where they're going. LOVE the ending in Monkey's Raincoat.

There are moments in Elvis's developement when a good suspension of
disbelief is needed, but I've always gone along with RC and been rewarded.
Needless to say, I LOVE these characters.

Joe doesn't really flesh out and come to life until the second or third books, by the way.

THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT
STALKING THE ANGEL
LULLABY TOWN
FREE FALL
VOODOO RIVER
SUNSET EXPRESS
INDIGO SLAM
L.A. REQUIEM
THE LAST DETECTIVE

Minnette Walters is about as far from Robert Crais's style of writing as you
can get, Mary, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy RC's stuff.  ;)
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #623 on: January 10, 2007, 02:56:47 PM »
Here's a question for you - are you familiar with Steven Saylor and/or do you like his writing? The woman who runs the mystery club at the library I work in sing his praises. Here's his wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Saylor

Here's his website:

http://www.stevensaylor.com/

And here's another website on him:

http://www.glbtq.com/literature/saylor_s.html

Steven Saylor is one of my all time favorites.  He writes mysteries staring Gordianus the Finder (an ancient Roman PI).  He has such a great voice and weaves history with humor and plot.  I love all his books and his stories, especially the later ones Rubicon, Last Seen in Massalia, and The Judgement of Caesar have a rumored homosexual relationship between Gordianus' adopted son (a soldier) and Julius Caesar himself!  Quite juicy and a quick, light read. 

He has also just come out with a new Colleen McCullough style epic, generational novel that will be published in March (called Roma).  I cannot wait to read this, I have already pre-ordered.

On the subject of Colleen McCullough (The Thorn Birds) wrote at least two novels about Sulla (the roman General and leader) who had a lifelong relationship with the male actore Metrobius.  I think one is called The Grass Crown.

JUst bought 3 of Saylors's books today.  Can't believe I missed these, since I love mysteries and ancient Rome. Look forward to reading them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:36:20 PM by michaelflanagansf »
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline KathyinBama

• Expert
« Reply #624 on: January 11, 2007, 05:42:07 AM »
I just read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I really got sucked into the story in a hurry and just flew through it.  It is not great literature, but it is a great read.

Offline victopet

• Obsessed
  • A Loose Brick in the Wall
Read Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison
« Reply #625 on: January 11, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
 I just finished reading "Fish, a Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison" by T.J. Parsell and nothing has affected me so deeply since Brokeback Mountain.

Fish is a true story of TJ, the author, who was 17 years old and sent to state prison in Michigan in the late 1970s for robbing a Fotomat with a toy gun.  From there he was repeatedly assaulted before being forced to become the "property" of other inmates in prison for protection. Through his recollections, we get to learn all about the dark side of prison culture and prison rape and the consequences of a dysfunctional childhood.  But at the same time, we see a beautiful picture of a naive boy trying to come to terms with everything that's happening around him, realizing -- and finally accepting -- his own gay identity and learning to take responsibility for who he is.

But don't let the topic of prison rape put you off:  this book is so much more.

It is one of the most powerful, raw, thought-provoking memoirs I have ever read -- and it works on so many levels. I was left simultaneously angry and heartsick at the system for letting such things happen, celebrating the fact that TJ moved through and beyond these experiences, and mourning what might have been if things had been different.

The story also includes a recounting of how the author experienced his "first love" with another man in prison.  Though the affair was short-lived and doomed, the lover basically saved TJ's life.  This love story was the most poignant aspect of the book, and it just left me aching for everybody in the world who has never even experienced such beautiful, transcending, life-changing love. This love, though, was as gut-wrenching as Brokeback Mountain because it is a true story.

This story humanizes all of its characters and provides raw, introspective insights from the author who finally was released from prison and made a successful life for himself, though he lives with the scars. 

If you want to learn more about this book, you can check it out at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Memoir-Boy-Mans-Prison/dp/0786717939/sr=8-2/qid=1168541685/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-3508022-0417634?ie=UTF8&s=books

This is a story about being gay, but about so much more.  I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind reading some raw and heavy emotional stuff.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Vic

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #626 on: January 11, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »

Hey Vic, sounds like a great suggestion for the non-fic book seclection! I'd love to read it either way.

Nikki
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #627 on: January 11, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

Hey Vic, sounds like a great suggestion for the non-fic book seclection! I'd love to read it either way.

Nikki

Exactly what I thought Nikki!  I'm going to include it in March's poll!

Offline victopet

• Obsessed
  • A Loose Brick in the Wall
« Reply #628 on: January 11, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »

Nikki

This book just blew me away, though I think a lot of the general public might shy away from it because of the tough themes:  prison and gay sex. But the author does a fantastic job of humanizing both topics.  Even if you were not sympathetic to these issues before, I think you will be after reading.

I'd love to see it included in the poll!  Thanks, Michael!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #629 on: January 15, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »
Hi Everyone - just a quick note: in the January 2007 issue of Vanity Fair there is an interesting article, 'Ruthless with Scissors' by Buzz Bissinger.  The 'Finch' family (in real life the Turcotte family) dispute much of what Augusten Burroughs had to say about them in 'Running With Scissors', including how long he lived with them (it was about a year and a half as opposed to the 5 years he indicates in the book) and why his mother 'gave him' to her psychiatrist (she transferred guardianship to him so that Chris Robison - Burroughs original name - could go to school in the district he was living in).  The family is suing Burroughs and his publisher for libel  and invasion of privacy.

It's a very interesting article, particularly in light of the James Frey 'Million Little Pieces' and J. T. Leroy stories and worth a read, IMHO.