The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)  (Read 961936 times)

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
Re: What good book have you read lately? (New or old)
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2007, 10:13:20 PM »
Thanks Michael - that post prompted me to look for this book at my library - so it might appear on a book club list?
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #661 on: January 24, 2007, 12:59:15 AM »
Thanks Michael - that post prompted me to look for this book at my library - so it might appear on a book club list?

Yes!  Of course!  Vidal is one of those people I've loved for decades now.  He first got my attention when he called William F. Buckley a crypto-nazi in 1968:

http://www.pitt.edu/~kloman/debates.html
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Sharyn

• Obsessed
  • I've this crazy old notion that calls me sometimes
« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
Hey there...   Been a while and trying to catch up!  I just finished The Corrections & The Dive from Claussen's Pier...  Anyone care to discuss either?   I was fascinated by The Corrections  and TDCP, well? I was a bit disappointed in the main character.   I recommend though, especially The Corrections!

I miss you Jackie!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #663 on: January 26, 2007, 05:04:18 PM »
Hey there...   Been a while and trying to catch up!  I just finished The Corrections & The Dive from Claussen's Pier...  Anyone care to discuss either?   I was fascinated by The Corrections  and TDCP, well? I was a bit disappointed in the main character.   I recommend though, especially The Corrections!

Sorry Sharyn!  Not me!  Although, I do recall someone else discussing 'The Dive from Claussen's Pier' here.  Anyone else?
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #664 on: January 26, 2007, 05:32:54 PM »

I read 'The Corrections' when it came out -- I almost couldn't get through it. It was soooooo long. The editor should have convinced the author (forget his name begins with an F) to cut out that section when he goes to Prague or Chezkoslovakia (sp) or somewhere in Middle Europe. However, I started it with high hope, especially his description of his father having Louey Body disease whihch affected his Alzeheimer's. My late husband died of Parkinson's during which the X-rays showed evidence of Louey Body -- seems to be a little known problem. His description of his father's worsening condition was well done and touching, and the interplay among the dysfunctional family members was a treat.

I was disappointed in the author (WHAT is his name?) when he refused to appear on Oprah's show featuring his book. I felt there was a touch of eliteism in his refusal -- he said something about (paraphrasing here) the show deminishing the novel or the gravity or some such. Her show is usually a big push for any novel.

The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #665 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:34 PM »

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #666 on: January 26, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
Jonathan Franzen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Franzen

Oh thanks, Michael that really bugged me. National Book Award.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2007, 05:44:33 PM »

You bet.  I could never decide whether the not going on Oprah was a publicity stunt on his part - it certainly got him more press than a single appearance would have, don't you think?

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #668 on: January 26, 2007, 05:46:45 PM »

You bet.  I could never decide whether the not going on Oprah was a publicity stunt on his part - it certainly got him more press than a single appearance would have, don't you think?

Oh yeah -- the consensus was "How dare he!" But he did it in a very ungracious and elitetist manner IMO. His latest seems to have gotten good reviews, no?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #669 on: January 27, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »
This seems like an important article to post a link to here - it's about the bankruptcy of Publisher's Group West's parent company and how it has affected over 130 small press publishers.  This is really bad news, folks.  Here's the link:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/27/MNG9DNQ8TM1.DTL

And here's the first few paragraphs:

A financial thriller in the publishing world
- Ilana DeBare, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bay Area small publishers like McSweeney's, Berrett-Koehler and Parallax Press don't typically print melodramatic cliff-hangers.

But this month, they've been living one.

More than 130 independent publishers across the country were hurled into financial crisis on Dec. 29 with the bankruptcy of the parent company of Publishers Group West, the Berkeley firm that distributes books from much of the small press world.

Among them are more than two dozen Bay Area publishers whose works range from Dave Eggers' novels and Deepak Chopra's inspirational writings to business books, Buddhist books and the "Here Comes the Guide" wedding planning book.

The bankruptcy hit these small presses at the worst possible time -- when Publishers Group West was holding onto its sales revenues from the three months before Christmas, its most profitable time of the year.

At the time of the bankruptcy filing, the company owed nearly $1 million to Amber-Allen, a San Rafael publisher of personal growth books such as the best-selling "The Four Agreements," by Don Miguel Ruiz. It owed $600,000 to McSweeney's Books, the San Francisco press started by Eggers.

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #670 on: January 28, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »
Here's a loving and descriptive review of Mary Renault's The Charioteer, which has held its place for years as my favorite gay novel:

http://www.rambles.net/renault_chariot59.html

The symbolism in the book is real ,  even exemplified by the title. The reviewer doesn't say the story is "romantic," but it is; fan fiction wouldn't insult it.  I think it has appeal for both GLBT's and straight women. (Unless perhaps the notions of personal honor would make it seem too quaintly outmoded, but I think not.)  I keep returning to it here, simply in hope it'll attract  and delight some new readers.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #671 on: January 28, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
Here's a loving and descriptive review of Mary Renault's The Charioteer, which has held its place for years as my favorite gay novel:

The symbolism in the book is real ,  even exemplified by the title. The reviewer doesn't say the story is "romantic," but it is; fan fiction wouldn't insult it.  I think it has appeal for both GLBT's and straight women. (Unless perhaps the notions of personal honor would make it seem too quaintly outmoded, but I think not.)  I keep returning to it here, simply in hope it'll attract  and delight some new readers.

Castro -- as much as a voracioius reader am I, I've always skipped over Renault even though I love fiction set against ancient history. Well, I think it was probably you who suggested one of Renault's novels as a book club selection?  Anyway, I picked up 'Fire from Heaven' last week at the library --- about the young Alexander and his friend Hephaistion. I enjoyed it tremendously, should have read Renault years ago. Will look for 'The Charioteer' tomorrow -- thanks for the reminder.

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #672 on: January 28, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »

Castro -- as much as a voracioius reader am I, I've always skipped over Renault even though I love fiction set against ancient history. Well, I think it was probably you who suggested one of Renault's novels as a book club selection?  Anyway, I picked up 'Fire from Heaven' last week at the library --- about the young Alexander and his friend Hephaistion. I enjoyed it tremendously, should have read Renault years ago. Will look for 'The Charioteer' tomorrow -- thanks for the reminder.

I, too, love this novel.
It is one of those books that deserves to be reread.
Amazingly enough, I'd never heard of THE CHARIOTEER until I discovered this forum.
I think I have a copy of FIRE FROM HEAVEN somewhere on my bookshelves.
Think I'll add it to my Must Read list.
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline WhenPigsFly

• Expert
« Reply #673 on: February 04, 2007, 03:06:58 PM »
I haven't visited this thread in some time ... has anyone mentioned reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?  I read it a month ago in one sitting and can't get it out of my mind.
...somehow, as a coat hanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved...

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #674 on: February 04, 2007, 10:34:18 PM »
I haven't visited this thread in some time ... has anyone mentioned reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy?  I read it a month ago in one sitting and can't get it out of my mind.

No one has mentioned McCarthy in a while, jd, but I do recall someone saying 'Blood Meridian' was one of their favorites.