The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued  (Read 683270 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: How Brokeback Affected Me--continued
« Reply #3825 on: July 24, 2021, 02:22:53 PM »
Had you been a member of any sort of online forum at that point?

No, I don't think I was, Chuck!

I just used the computer for emailing and info searches.

I'm just remembering it was the dark ages for me back then. I couldn't even watch youtube videos, really. It took me like 15 minutes to load a 30 second video or something with my connection. It was not really worth it! Heh! I didn't use any chat rooms or buy anything, if i'm recalling all this correctly. Heh!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3826 on: July 24, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
To be honest, we may not have been "Googling" at that point.  I believe the biggest search engine at that time may have been Yahoo.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3827 on: July 27, 2021, 10:08:19 PM »
I often wonder how many people have seen our film, and were affected by it like we were, but never got it into their mind to search the 'net for a place like this.

Probably lots of people for different reasons.  This forum has had so many interesting conversations (and it still does), and it still has a lot of interesting information.  There have been lots of interesting people who still comment or who used to comment on here.  I'm glad that it is still here after all these years.  It's always nice to see a new member.  I just wish some of them could or would comment more frequently.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:16:43 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3828 on: July 27, 2021, 10:14:59 PM »
To be honest, we may not have been "Googling" at that point.  I believe the biggest search engine at that time may have been Yahoo.

Haha.  Those really were the dark days of the Internet, weren't they?  It was still lots of fun even back then to me.  Back then, when "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" (2005) was playing in movie theaters, you got to see just how much of a phenomenon the film was because of the countless articles due to the controversy and attention that the movie created.  There were also all of those great parodies of the film on YouTube.  You know, "THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT" (1999) was primarily marketed through the Internet, the first theatrical movie to really do so, I believe--which was a really smart move-- whether one liked that film or not; and back in the late 1990s, people were probably more likely to believe almost anything they read online.

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #3829 on: September 23, 2021, 11:45:43 PM »
Re: Forums
I have been on Usenet since 1997, after 2nd shift work on 2006-04-04, on an impulse, I went out to a 24hr Walmart and bought the Brokeback Mountain DVD.

I scanned the DVD on the 5th to see if it would play ok (I typically did this with DVDs at that time, I've had a few DVDs that froze or skipped new out of the package).

I watched Brokeback Mountain on the 6th (again and again...), I went thru the typical "Brokeback Fever"...trouble sleeping, felt like crying all the time...on the 9th, it suddenly occurred to me to search for a Brokeback related discussion forum, I found this one right away, I read most of the posts but didn't register until the 30th...and the rest is history.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:56:45 PM by lislis »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3830 on: September 26, 2021, 09:43:40 AM »
I always enjoy hearing everyone's story of their personal bout of "Brokeback Fever" and how they came to find the forum.

Thanks for sharing yours, lislis!   

It's amazing to me how we all seemed to have similar experiences, and all turned to the internet to reach out to others.