The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Last Scene ("I swear" scene)  (Read 553094 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: Last Scene ("I swear" scene)
« Reply #2430 on: February 05, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
Interesting and well thought out theory, BJ.

Welcome to the forum!

Ditto. V.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2431 on: February 05, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
And from me, BJ!

Offline BJ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #2432 on: February 06, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
Thanks for your welcomes :)!
I was starting to fear i am talking to myself here, while i really needed to talk to somebody about this movie in order to get over it (not succeeded yet!). This movie is "old" already, so much was said already, so many people watched it a hundred times more than me, but still - i am a new VICTIM, please allow me to find comfort! XD
This movie is just so classic, i think it will never get old.

"A love that will never grow o-o-old"
!!!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2433 on: February 07, 2017, 03:43:42 AM »
Sure thing.  Yes lots of historical items now in these threads.  Some by current members. Some by members who joined for a brief time.  Some by members no longer with us.  At some point films like BBM do fall from mainstream but remain steadfast with loyal fans and patrons.  Hell I kept it on my DVR for years until it died just so I could queue it up whenever I needed a reminder.   There will continue being a loyal group of fans, time permitting.  At some point I feel it will be declared a classic beyond our scope.

We understand how the film reaches inside and gets you good.

Take your time. V.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2434 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:23 AM »
BJ, why don't you post in "New members introduce yourselves", in Our Community >Meet your Neighbors?

There are so many people who will understand what you're experiencing at the moment. The trouble is, there are not all that many who are still discussing the film and book, but you never know - a new voice may stimulate things!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #2435 on: February 07, 2017, 09:13:46 AM »
Hi BJ!

This movie is "old" already, so much was said already, so many people watched it a hundred times more than me, but still - i am a new VICTIM, please allow me to find comfort!

That's exactly how I felt when I first came here in 2012  ;)

The film still touches my heart. The magic continues and it's a thrill to see new names here.

Welcome! And I like your name! Does it stand for "BlueJean"?  ;D
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BJ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #2436 on: February 08, 2017, 01:38:58 AM »
Hi and thanks again :)
My name is just my initials - pretty simple :p. But you can read it as "BlueJean" if you like, BlueJeanJeanie   :D

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #2437 on: February 09, 2017, 10:49:48 AM »
                                                 ^^^^
Hi BJ
You will never get over it. No matter how hard you may try....it will haunt you for
most of...if not all of your life now. Once seen never forgotten. Things will crop up in your life which will remind you of scenes and things from BBM....and  even things someone may say...like...."Never enough time....never enough". How many times have I heard that by somebody who will never know the meaning behind it.
Or even "no more beans"! Go into a tea shop perhaps someone will offer you " A slice of cherry cake ?"  The whole movie will come flooding back into your mind.
So....lets face it..........you're hooked !

Best to ya!....Suelyblu.  :D
I love the way the last line was left open it could mean so many things.

"Jack...I swear...... I loved you"

"Jack ....I swear..... I'll live a good life with no regrets"

"Jack .....I swear...... we'll get back to Brokeback when my turn comes."

So many spins can be put on those last three heartbreaking words.  :'( :(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:03:51 AM by suelyblu »
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline Pepe1

• Expert
« Reply #2438 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #2439 on: March 12, 2017, 12:46:35 AM »
BJ, the switching of the shirts is one of the intriguing aspects of the film. We all lay much importance on it and yet it was a decision made by Heath Ledger, and which he seems to have sprung on everyone on the day of filming. Certainly, Diana Ossana knew nothing about it until they came to film the scene and Heath told her he had a bit of a surprise for her. I guess he knew Ennis right down to his boot heels.

Offline BJ

• Feet Wet
« Reply #2440 on: March 21, 2017, 02:44:03 AM »
Hi Ministering angel!

Yes, i know that it was Heath's idea. Nevertheless, i see the film as a whole, as a finished "result", no matter where the decisions came from. So, for me it is all about the change for Ennis. His realization of what he had lost and why he had
a) not lived his love out fully +
b) failed to make Jack - the person he loved most in his life - happy.

For me Ennis is way pass over that "I swear I love(d) you". Because it's not enough and too superficial. Ennis has not only to deal with Jack's loss, but he has to learn how much Jack loved him (shirts), how much Jack suffered because of being away from him ("miss you so much i can hardly stand it", Lureen saying Jack's favorite place was Brokeback and also saying that he drank a lot), how Jack's dreams were shattered because of Ennis' set up rules ("as most of Jack's ideas it never came to pass"). When you're hit with this kind of realizations it's not just enough to say "I swear I love(d) you". This is something that probably didn't need to be said at all between those two.

This is my personal perception, but if somebody who I truly, deeply loved passed away due to some stupid accident and I were to find out that this person was suffering because of me not being able to fight my own demons well enough, I would try to be a better person in his / her honor - even if it's too late now. One line that strikes me very much is Lureen saying on phone "I suppose they'd appreciate it if his wishes was carried out...'Bout the ashes, I mean..." - Why did she feel the need to specify Jack's wishes being about the ashes? What kind of other wishes could he had possibly have? Maybe some wishes which only Ennis knew of?? I think even if it was not intentionally this kind of sent a message to Ennis...

I also think it is important to notice how Ennis is checking on his mailbox after putting the numbers on it at the end. It's the same kind of checking as he did with the tent "tent don't look right". And generally, Ennis does not look crashed / devastated to me at that point. It's not that he's heavily drinking, lying around in his trailer sobbing about his lost love, right? It looks like he had come to terms with Jack's loss and - although surely suffering and grieving - it looks like he has a plan, he has some idea, a goal, he's up to something. Therefore, for me this "I swear..." somehow relates to that plan - which will probably include bringing Jack's ashes to Brokeback, but there will be definitely more to that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:33:43 PM by BJ »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2441 on: May 09, 2021, 02:12:13 PM »
Brokeback Mountain Ending Explained:
 What Really Happened To Jack?

By: Gokul Chettiyar - April 27, 2021

Brokeback Mountain is a 2005 American Romantic Drama that depicted the time frame between 1963 and 1983. Directed by Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain is a story of two homosexual men at a time of life when homosexuality was not just frowned upon but also seen as a crime. Ang Lee got attached to the project after previous attempts to do so went nary. The filming was finally confirmed when Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal got cast in the central roles in 2003. While the film stars Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar and Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist, we are even accompanied by Michelle Willams and Anne Hathaway playing their respective wives. And even though it has been nearly 17 years since its initial release, people still question what happened at the end of the movie. So, this article will look into the Brokeback Mountain ending.

The film depicts a complex emotional and sexual relationship between two American male cowboys as they try to be together yet just can’t. This love story is one that caught people off guard as what it depicted was truly painful. There are people out there to this day who are terrified of coming out of their shells and showing their true selves. So a film that showed the adverse effects of being homosexual was only painful to watch. As the film ended, people were left with a few questions. These questions will be answered in this article as we get some insights provided by the film cast member as well.

https://otakukart.com/brokeback-mountain-ending-explained/

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2442 on: May 09, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »
^^^ That's a reasonable interpretation and refreshing to see printed in 2021.   

I think most of here know/feel:

a) Jack was killed by a homophobic attack as evidence by some cut scenes as well as the ones Lee finally showed us.
b) I'd never heard about the 2nd take....
c) The "Jack, I swear." scene resonates and Lee's ambiguity here is a strength of the film.  We each see something different.

V.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2443 on: May 10, 2021, 02:41:18 AM »

I agree, Vincent. The ambiguity remains - and will remain forever. As far as I'm concerned.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #2444 on: May 16, 2021, 09:16:39 PM »
While I think the film leans towards a murder (there's the scene of the two mechanics which is in the trailer but not in the film), I also think Ang left it open to interpretation.

However, in the short story there are hints of suicide. I've tended towards suicide-by-accident as the cause of Jack's death.

Not that it matters - he died because Ennis couldn't accept the truth, and that's the reality which Ennis has to live with.