The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is said in the tent on the second night?

Ennis says nothing and Jack says "It's alright."
307 (45.5%)
Ennis says "I'm sorry," and Jack says "It's alright."
208 (30.9%)
Ennis says nothing, and Jack says "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."
86 (12.8%)
I'm not sure.
32 (4.7%)
I don't care. Please make this topic go away!
41 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 622

Author Topic: Second Night in the Tent  (Read 788046 times)

Offline rmperalta

• Feet Wet
Re: Second Night in the Tent
« Reply #3915 on: May 22, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
It's so long ago now... But I'm fairly sure that SNIT was central to my succumbing to Brokeback Fever. The virus perhaps? :)  And much as I usually like faithfulness to an original, the film has a life of its own and has moved and influenced thousands of people - well probably millions? - worldwide, and I would think that SNIT may well be at the core of this. It showed  the tenderness that can exist between men that many people had not given thought to before.

So well-put, yes! And it shows the transition from lust to love, from "drunk and didn't know what I was doing" to "I choose you, I choose this." And I keep seeing SNIT in my head when I listen to the entirety of "A Love That Will Never Grow Old."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3916 on: July 18, 2021, 09:17:08 PM »
So well-put, yes! And it shows the transition from lust to love, from "drunk and didn't know what I was doing" to "I choose you, I choose this." And I keep seeing SNIT in my head when I listen to the entirety of "A Love That Will Never Grow Old."

I just had to come here and tell you that I really like what you said, that I bolded above.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3917 on: March 12, 2022, 04:53:06 PM »
I've never posted in this thread, but it's my 'opinion' that the 2nd night in the tent was MUCH MORE realistic to me, the FNIT, not so much, no, no, no........... ;D

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3918 on: March 13, 2022, 08:38:23 AM »
With all their "pent up" feelings:  clearly Jack had fallen for Ennis; add in lots of booze; those "standard normal thinking" inhibitions be damned can happen so easily!  Was Ennis "as experienced" as Jack may have been?  Never really revealed but my gut says not likely.   Certainly, they were both very sober and willing for the SNIT though it was clear Ennis was hesitant.   V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3919 on: March 16, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »
When you compare those two scenes, they are very different.

The first night was basically all about giving into lust, and satisfying a pent up need.  Even alcohol played a part in it.

The second night was more about giving into one's feelings and emotional wants.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3920 on: March 16, 2022, 01:18:37 PM »
Was Ennis "as experienced" as Jack may have been?  Never really revealed but my gut says not likely.   Certainly, they were both very sober and willing for the SNIT though it was clear Ennis was hesitant.   V.

Was Ennis as experienced?   I would say 'no', but was it his first time doing that?   I would have to say 'no' again.  He sure seemed to know what he was doing.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #3921 on: March 17, 2022, 08:06:30 AM »
If I were a purist I would not want SNIT to be in the film. But thank goodness I’m not!

I think it was the scene that affected me most deeply.