The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: "Stronger" discussion thread - Spoilers allowed  (Read 10382 times)

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
Re: "Stronger" discussion thread - Spoilers allowed
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
That is interesting, Michelle, I have indeed though of that, that I am just not impartial, but I think it was pretty unanimous that he should have been at least nominated for Nightcrawler. What went through my mind sometimes is that it could be that he is not taken seriously enough precisely for being Hollywood "royalty". Like another one who thinks he can act just because of where he was born. But he has proved himself enough.
I think a important reason is that the movies he makes are not so flashy, no big productions with big companies supporting the whole awards campaign, that's not his choice, and honestly, I like it that way.

Makes sense, Elena. I also like it that way and it says a lot about him and what his intentions are. Of course he would be happy to win, but maybe it's not the be all end all for him. He loves his work.

Sometimes we can all be certain an award will be handed and it's not. Take Crash winning over BBM for instance.  ??? ???

I have not seen a lot of Jake's films, but I think that if ever he felt disappointed not to receive recognition, it was for Stronger. He poured his heart and soul into that movie. He dedicated two years of his life, hardly slept... I do not believe or feel he did it to do something good and get an award, still... Just a hunch of mine.

I feel we will never know why some actors receive an award or not. There are many angles involved and we can never know all of them. And when we love someone and think they deserve to win and they don't, it hurts.  :(
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Yes, Stroger seemed to be very, very personal to him.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

Oui, it hurts. For a long time already.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2018, 05:33:57 AM »
I have a hard time seeing Jake as a diva.

I was only joking  ;D

I've shared my thoughts on this subject many, many times before on this forum. In fact, I've PM'ed with people on why it is Jake gets so little recognition in Hollywood when it comes to awards and stuff.  When you look at his films (I've seen them all, except for the ones he did as a kid), it's hard to believe he "only" recieved one Oscar nomination - I can think of at least four or five performances which (also) could / should have done it for him. Prisoners, Nightcrawler, Nocturnal Animals, Stronger.

I think a important reason is that the movies he makes are not so flashy, no big productions with big companies supporting the whole awards campaign, that's not his choice, and honestly, I like it that way.

What's utterly irritating is that there were films that were big(ger) budget ('Nocturnal Animals' being one of them), in which Jake's co-stars simply recieved more attention during awards season. Amy Adams, Michael Shannon... Shannon got an Oscar nomination for his role, Aaron Taylor-Johnson won a Golden Globe.  As so often, I felt Jake was overlooked, being the one who is good or great, no matter what - and, like I said earlier, is taken for granted too often.

His performances in small(er) films are usually fabulous. I'll love him forever in 'Enemy' and 'Demolition'. In 'Enemy' because he's nuanced, quiet, subtle and simply wonderful. In 'Demolition' because he's crazy, playful, funny and dark - and equally wonderful.

I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Just wait and see what happens in his future.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:01 AM »
Could it be that we feel that he is not getting his just reward because we love him so much and want really badly for him to receive more awards? Of course he is deserving of awards but aren't there many other actors in his shoes? I do not have names to share but I know I have seen very talented actors receive recognition almost at the end of their careers or lives. And maybe some of the best actors of all times have never been rewarded the way fans thought they should have been. It is such a grey area. We all have unique tastes and preferences and so one actor or acting style will not appeal to everyone.

You're right of course, Michelle.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2018, 06:15:55 AM »
I was only joking  ;D

I guess there's nothing we can do about it. Just wait and see what happens in his future.

Oh well, another missed joke...  :) I still feel good about what I said.  :)

Yeah, it's pretty much out of our control. Still, we are allowed to feel the way we do. It comes from a place of love.

Have a good day, Sonja.
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »
Amy Adams was blatantly ignored that year too.