The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 751713 times)

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 12:05:51 PM »
Aww, I LOVED The Brother's Grimm. Heath's character is so lovable in it and it actually is a pretty amusing and entertaining movie.
Forever more at whatever cost...

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
  • Und was wie ewig schien, ist schon Vergangenheit.
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »
Hmm, from what I read about Brothers Grimm it always sounded like a rather far-fetched and pointless thing. (Please note, that's just the impression that I got from reading various reviews, I haven't seen it.) Then again, I don't mind absurd stuff.
Is this really living, sometimes it's hard to tell
Or is this just a kinder, gentler hell

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007, 12:17:39 PM »
To be honest, I had absolutely no idea what it was about before I watched it. I rented it, brought it home and right after I put the DVD in I said to my husband "What the hell is this about anyway?" We both ended up enjoying it and had fun trying to fit which of the Grimm's Fairytales fit in with each part of the movie.

Offline WintersGrass

• Paint Striker
  • Obsessed
  • can't fix it...can't stand it
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
Hmm, from what I read about Brothers Grimm it always sounded like a rather far-fetched and pointless thing. (Please note, that's just the impression that I got from reading various reviews, I haven't seen it.) Then again, I don't mind absurd stuff.

I rented it but never saw it, it's hard to watch him in comedies for me and it's very hard to watch Matt Damon. Except AKT, it was so trashy that's already good again.
I'm a very silly person (for those who haven't mentioned yet) but I prefer him in serious roles.

I'd love to see him do more drama, and I still dream about the remake of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with him.
It's crazy what you could've had...

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »
I'd love to see him do more drama, and I still dream about the remake of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with him.

Now that could be very interesting.  I'm assuming he'd play the role that Clint Eastwood made famous.

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
  • Go ahead, make my day...
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 01:27:58 PM »
I love these suggestions - and have to grab The Brothers Grimm and see it. Such cool people can't be wrong.  :)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brothers_grimm/

It got terrible reviews.  I shouldn't have said I saw all his movies because I didn't rent this one.

FUNGURL

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
Oh no!  That's putting a kinker in the whole thing again!  :-\

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2007, 01:57:08 PM »
I don't think I have ever paid attention to a single review of any film or album in my entire life. It isn't important to me what other people think of it, it is important what *I* and *I* I alone think of it and if I like it, then great, if not, I move on. I would never let a review sway my opinion of a movie no matter how good or bad the reviews were... but that's just me.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
We discuss that alot in the movie thread.  I have seen alot of movies I loved that didn't get great reviews. But for the most part I do like to consult the reviews, if they are that low I probably don't check it out.  Not unless someone I know (with similar tastes as me) highly recommends it.

I find this especially true of dramas, if they are poorly rated, it is usually for a reason.  Comedies on the other hand can be a different matter.   You go into alot of them just expecting to be entertained, you know they are not going to win any awards or be life changing.   For example I watched Snakes on a Plane twice! lol

And we do care, because there were threads dedicated to what awards Brokeback did and didn't get and how many stars critics gave it, what the reviewers said  and so on and so on...

FUNGURL

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 02:02:25 PM »
I guess its a bit different for me because I'm not a movie fan, I'm a Heath fan. When I watch a movie 9 times out of 10 it's a Heath movie, so regardless of any review, negative or positive, I'll watch it.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 02:03:45 PM »
Well there you go, see I am a movie fan first and foremost and twice your age! lol   So our opinions are going to be very different.........which is fine!  ;)

FUNGURL

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
Well there you go, see I am a movie fan first and foremost and twice your age! lol   So our opinions are going to be very different.........which is fine!  ;)

Yep. Nothing wrong with that  ;D

Btw, everyone. My previous post wasn't implying that you weren't fans of Heath because you won't watch a movie. I was just saying that Heath is the motivation behind 95% of my movie watching. Don't want to cause confusion :)

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Lola, I do the same thing pretty much.  If it's a drama - a 'serious' movie - or even a thriller - I look at the reviews.  But my idea of what's funny is often not in sync with the reviewers.  The American Pie film - first one - was panned and I thought it was hysterical!  I guess you never know what's going to tickle your funnybone.

Oh, and I loved Snakes on a Plane.  Sometimes, a film that everyone raves about I can't stomach.  The English Patient comes to mind.  Eww.  And I have fallen asleep, early on, during both of the two first Pirate of the Caribbean films.  Go figure.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »
I have actors I am like that with, Al Pacino is one, I would watch him read the phone book.  I rented one of his that I actually missed not that long ago, it wasn't great, but I enjoyed just seeing him.  Watching him speak and move.

Maybe you are like that with Heath!  :)

FUNGURL