The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Heath  (Read 751163 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: Let's Get Serious About Heath
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:04 PM »
Lola, I do the same thing pretty much.  If it's a drama - a 'serious' movie - or even a thriller - I look at the reviews.  But my idea of what's funny is often not in sync with the reviewers.  The American Pie film - first one - was panned and I thought it was hysterical!  I guess you never know what's going to tickle your funnybone.

Oh, and I loved Snakes on a Plane.  Sometimes, a film that everyone raves about I can't stomach.  The English Patient comes to mind.  Eww.  And I have fallen asleep, early on, during both of the two first Pirate of the Caribbean films.  Go figure.

Exactly!!!   And yes American Pie was very funny! LOL  Oh and I love Johnny Depp, but those Pirate movies were lost on me.  :P

FUNGURL

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
I have actors I am like that with, Al Pacino is one, I would watch him read the phone book.  I rented one of his that I actually missed not that long ago, it wasn't great, but I enjoyed just seeing him.  Watching him speak and move.

Maybe you are like that with Heath!  :)

Yep. That is exactly it  ;D
Forever more at whatever cost...

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
  • Go ahead, make my day...
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »
Carbyville, fwiw, I understood exactly what you meant!

I've watched some films just because Heath is in them.  Same with Jake.  But if I don't like it, neither of them can save it for me really.  I know it's an outrage in some quarters here, but Zodiac didn't do anything for me and Jake didn't do anything for me in it.  Casanova was a cute movie, but Lords of Dogtown was so bad, I couldn't make it through.  Many years ago, I would watch any film with Mel Gibson in it, just to drool.  Nowadays, he does nothing for me. 

It's nice that we're all different.  It keeps things interesting!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2007, 02:20:55 PM »
I fell asleep toward the end of Zodiac! lol  I will still watch anything with Mel in it, but alot of people on this board hate him now.  :-\

I will probably check out Heath in Batman, even though I don't like Batman movies that much!

FUNGURL

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »
I guess its a bit different for me because I'm not a movie fan, I'm a Heath fan. When I watch a movie 9 times out of 10 it's a Heath movie, so regardless of any review, negative or positive, I'll watch it.

Hi, everyone! I'm back again.
I'm a serious movie baff since my teen age, that's how I got into BBM because it was so well-done movie ( this expression is owned by Opra!) and I haven't seen such a great film ever since. My obsession is lasting more than 20 months now.

Heath grew in me as a great actor although I fancied Jack to start with.
I've manage to watch all Heath's films that he performed from two Hands to Candy.

I enjoyed Brothers Grimm as a beautiful fantasy comedy and decided to own it.
Terry Gilliam is a great director to manage to put Cinderella costume on Heath !! ;D
"I lived in the Twilight world for about four years. That's a very long time that demands a lot of patience on your part.
"Thank God, I had the opportunity to do smaller movies like The Runaways, Welcome to the Rileys and On the Road in between. Otherwise I'd probably have turned mad."
 Kristen Stewart

Offline carbyville

• Obsessed
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »
I fell asleep toward the end of Zodiac! lol  I will still watch anything with Mel in it, but alot of people on this board hate him now.  :-\

I will probably check out Heath in Batman, even though I don't like Batman movies that much!

I still haven't seen Zodiac. I like Jake and all, but he just isn't Heath so for me to go see a movie with Jake, I'd have to be interested in the movie itself and I really wasn't with Zodiac. I'll see it eventually... maybe... probably...

As for Batman. I am literally counting down the days. I do not like Batman, but when I say that I honestly mean Batman, himself, the character, but adding Heath into the mix as The Joker of all people and what Heath is doing with the role is has gotten me very excited. I will probably watch it in full once and then after the DVD is released only watch The Joker bits and never watch the movie in it's full entirety again, unless someone suggests we put it on or something. That's how I roll  :D
Forever more at whatever cost...

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »
I just found this thread and have not caught up, so forgive me...or not!   :D

Tomorrow will tell...bwahahahhahahh!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
Jackie
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »
Chuck, I started with Ned Kelly, seeing it for the story not the star, and I was very impressed by the way Heath handled the role of Australia's national anti-hero. The history is a bit shaky but Heath has a certain quality about him which reflects Ned's own magnetic personality.

Lords Of Dogtown is a great film. Skateboarding? Not my topic at all, yet it was an intelligent, warm and well-made little indie film and once again Heath was fabulous, playing Skip with a complete lack of ego.

Two Hands is okay as a film but Heath is soooo good. Like I said, he's not afraid to just dive in and lose himself in a role.

Candy is another good film. Everyone in it is very very good but Heath rises about them all. Seriously. He's almost too good to play against.

I think if you watch enough of his films you'll be struck by his ability to totally change himself. CSI says he's a chameleon. He is never the same twice. Quite remarkable. And he doesn't play off his looks or charm, unless it's part of the character, as in Casanova.

That should keep you going for a while.
I've seen 3 of these 5, Marian-and I have to say he totally got lost in his character in Lords of Dogtown-totally blew me away-Chuck, I think you'd love that movie.
Candy was a pretty heartbreaking a performance....He let some stops out on that one...
Casanova was pretty comical-until the end, when we get a glimpse into the soul of the man-but frankly, the movie, well....let's just say it wasn't one of the better ones, IMO.

I've yet to see Ned Kelly, shame on me.
and
I tried to find Two Hands to rent, and I couldn't.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »
I better post on this thread since I kind of feel responsible for its creation,  plus I'm probably persona non gratta on Planet Heath.  :-[ 

I enjoyed Brothers Grimm as a beautiful fantasy comedy and decided to own it.
Terry Gilliam is a great director to manage to put Cinderella costume on Heath !! ;D

The first time I watched the Brothers Grimm, I didn't think much of it.  Then it seemed to be on TV everytime I turned it on, it was on rotation on TMN,  and strangely i enjoyed it more and more each time I watched it.  That was mainly due to Heath's wonderful performance, his Jacob is just too adorable for words!   I think maybe the film didn't live up to people's expectations of a Terry Gilliam film more than anything else.  I also read somewhere that the studio put a lot of pressure on Gilliam and he couldn't make the film that he wanted to make.  Of course, that may be an excuse, it's easy to blame the studio when a film is not well received.  Come to think of it, he does stand by his last film, Tideland, which was basically panned by critics, so it may well be true. (Personally, I think Tideland might well be his masterpiece)

My recommendation to Cellardweller for his next Heath-Experience is definitely to watch Monster's Ball.  If only because Sonny is almost a practice run for the Ennis character.  Heath can do "repressed" so well, it's absolutely heart-wrenching to watch.  That movie is responsible for making me a Heathen, I was so blown away by his performance.  BbM sealed the deal.

"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2007, 08:24:30 PM »
I really liked the "Brothers Grimm"another example of Heath losing Heath inside a character-he is a born method actor. He does better when he doesn't act-when he just is......and don't think I could tolerate watching "Monster's Ball" again-way too raw and sad.

Offline gres

• Obsessed
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind. M.Ghandi
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »
OMG  a few hours away and when i came back we have a brand new thread about Heath...i love it. :) :)

Apart from BBM i have seen Heath in Monster's Ball and he was good but i liked him more in Candy. I haven't seen Casanova mainly cus it came out in Greece shortly after BBM and to tell the truth i wasn't in the mood to watch him in s'thing  else right after, just couldn't. I also have ordered Ten Things I Hate About You...when i watch it i'll come back to report ;D
It is me, baby Gres and i'm in bed sleeping...that is why mom is around doing  some foruming  ;D

Offline Katiebre

• No surrender
  • Obsessed
  • Und was wie ewig schien, ist schon Vergangenheit.
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2007, 12:25:39 AM »
I don't think I have ever paid attention to a single review of any film or album in my entire life. It isn't important to me what other people think of it, it is important what *I* and *I* I alone think of it and if I like it, then great, if not, I move on. I would never let a review sway my opinion of a movie no matter how good or bad the reviews were... but that's just me.

But how do you decide which film would be interesting to you?
Surely you'd go and read some accounts about the film, and they would almost always contain some review component. Or do you simply decide based on trailers?
Is this really living, sometimes it's hard to tell
Or is this just a kinder, gentler hell

One of these mornings you're gonna rise, rise and sing, you're gonna spread your wings and take to the sky...

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2007, 03:28:53 AM »
Good Morning!

I was going to say yesterday when this new thread was up ( Hello  :) and Thank you so much CellarDweller115 ! ), my recommendation for Heath's films after BBM is, as follows (chlonological order) in terms of his performance wise.

Monster's Ball (even though he appears only first 40 minites but his existence stays in the film, great!)

Lords of Dogtown

Candy

I was particularly very surprised by his acting skills in Candy that a lot of people called it as his Post-Brokeback performance.
He is not afraid of showing his vulnerable side in front of the camera and acting sympathetically to the character he plays.
It's in a way nice to see how he grew and matured as an actor if you compare that with him in Two Hands. :)

I thoght Dan (Heath in Candy) was so sweet  and he seemed to charm  ???both woman (Abby Cornish) and man (Jeffery Rush) in the film but I should stop here, because this is supposed to be a serious discussion thread ! :-X

Hi, Katiebre ! How are you? ;)

Hello gres, I hope you'll enjyoy 10 things ! please come back to talk about our Patric later (either seriously here or completely screaming like a hysterical teenager at the Planet thread) !? ;D

Hello Canstandit, I know what you mean by his row performance ! I tend to like methodic-actor.

Hi, Oilgun, I must see Tideland I haven't seen it yet !

"I lived in the Twilight world for about four years. That's a very long time that demands a lot of patience on your part.
"Thank God, I had the opportunity to do smaller movies like The Runaways, Welcome to the Rileys and On the Road in between. Otherwise I'd probably have turned mad."
 Kristen Stewart

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2007, 05:00:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for your recs!  I have some DVDs to rent!  lmao!

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2007, 05:10:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for your recs!  I have some DVDs to rent!  lmao!

Please CellarDweller come back to us after you manage to watch any Heath's films to us I would like to hear it anytime or anythread. ;)
 Kristen Stewart