The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084639 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4320 on: January 09, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
In the Wide Release category I saw all but Booksmart. In the Limited Release I saw Almodovar's Pain and Glory. A friend just mentioned to me in an email this morning he saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire, the French submission for Foreign Language film and he said it was fantastic, but cautioned "Probably won’t be too exciting on tv though." I wasn't aware it had LGBT characters in it. Another friend had seen Brittany Runs a Marathon a few months ago and mentioned he liked it several times, but also didn't mention the LGBT connections.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4321 on: January 10, 2020, 02:31:51 AM »
Kanarie, Pain and Glory and Rafiki are gay films.

Kanarie is about a gay Afrikaner conscript in an army choir in apartheid era South Africa

This film does not end in tragedy. One of its themes is the redemptive power of music. It is compassionately dedicated  "To small town boys everywhere."

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4322 on: January 10, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
??? Surely Rocketman deals with the problems Elton John has with accepting his sexuality, it shows his coming out to his mother on the phone although he only meets his now husband, David, at the end of the film.
The only other I have seen is Downton Abbey (twice) and while the gay scene is a brief part, I found it very emotional.
On Elton, he announced yesterday at a concert in Sydney that he is giving $1million to bushfire aid. For me he is a wonderful advertisement for gays. I have a ticket to his show in Dunedin in February. I went last time he was here in 2011.
I've seen Elton once in Concert, it was his solo Piano tour, great show, no extras, no techno special stuff, just Elton and the Piano........LOVED IT!!  ;D

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4323 on: January 10, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »
The movies GLAAD nominates don't necessarily have to be totally LGBT themed films, they're interested in "gay visibility" and representation in films. Of the positive kind, of course.

Jonn, don't you remember the gay couple in Judy? There's been a lot of articles written about those characters and scenes. Here's one:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/judy-fact-check-gay-couple-213459163.html

Or this one:
'Judy': Inside the Movie's Beautiful, Heartbreaking Tribute to Garland's Gay Fans
https://www.etonline.com/judy-inside-the-movies-beautiful-heartbreaking-tribute-to-garlands-gay-fans-exclusive-133025.
Yes, I remember that couple, and those scenes as well. I thought the scenes were a bit quirky, but that's just me. I guess the scenes fit Judy's Life at that time. IMHO, Judy was someone who NEEDED a decent dedicated person to manage her career and Life too.
I always heard that Liza and maybe other family members spent years paying off Judy's debts. Imagine how it would have worked out if Judy had copyrights to the use of her Image and Voice? Sinatra and Streisand did that, you rarely see either of their images or voices used in commercial/promotional venues, if they are, you bet the estates are making a buck off it....... :o :o :o

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #4324 on: January 22, 2020, 06:02:29 PM »
I've seen Elton once in Concert, it was his solo Piano tour, great show, no extras, no techno special stuff, just Elton and the Piano........LOVED IT!!  ;D

I saw him in full regalia at a stadium in Buffalo way back in the seventies. It was around the time of his duet with Kiki Dee (Don't go Breaking my heart). The opening acts included John Miles and Boz Skaggs. It was pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0qW9P-uYfM
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #4325 on: February 16, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
In the Wide Release category I saw all but Booksmart. In the Limited Release I saw Almodovar's Pain and Glory. A friend just mentioned to me in an email this morning he saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire, the French submission for Foreign Language film and he said it was fantastic, but cautioned "Probably won’t be too exciting on tv though." I wasn't aware it had LGBT characters in it. Another friend had seen Brittany Runs a Marathon a few months ago and mentioned he liked it several times, but also didn't mention the LGBT connections.

As you all know by now, Portrait of a Lady on Fire turned out NOT to be France's submission. Instead they inexplicably chose the inferior (but still pretty good) Les Misérables.. I guess they felt a feminist gothic slow burning lesbian romance had too limited of an appeal for the Hollywood crowd. I saw it today and without being hyperbolic Céline Sciamma's film is basically a masterpiece. It's incredibly intelligent and moving without being sentimental and the chemistry between the two leads is palpable. Although set in the 18th century  on an isolated island off the coast of Brittany, it still feels incredibly relevant and timely. My 2019 top ten list will have to be revised. The question is, should it bump off:

-Knives Out which I thoroughly enjoyed while watching it, but less so when thinking about it later on? Or
-Joker with Joaquin's amazing performance which I found so troubling that I almost walked out because it was actually triggering an anxiety attack? (Not a pleasant viewing experience to say the least.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:57:12 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4326 on: February 17, 2020, 04:13:01 AM »
^^^ Knives Out - Yes it was "fun"  and that's what I say when asked, "...a fun little film!"  vs Joker who we are admiring a single actor vs. the story that "created that character" which is very troubling, dark and down right horrible.   

IDK tough!  It might be similar to trying to separate Ledger's Joker from TDK.

I often ask myself, "Which film will I remember in 6 months, 5 years, 10 years?" as a gauge for ranking films, performances, etc..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:25:21 AM by gattaca »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4327 on: February 17, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »

I often ask myself, "Which film will I remember in 6 months, 5 years, 10 years?" as a gauge for ranking films, performances, etc..

I don't think that would work for me with my increasing memory lapses.  :o

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4328 on: March 13, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »
Keep an eye out for Los Fuertes (The Strong Ones), the 2019 debut feature written and directed by Chilean film maker Omar Zuniga Hidalgo. I saw it at the Melbourne Queer Film Festival.

Lucas (Samuel Gonzalez), a young architect from Santiago, has won a scholarship to study in Montreal. He is estranged from his parents because he is gay. Before he leaves for Canada, he travels by bus and ferry to the south of Chile to visit his doctor sister Cata (Marcela Salinas) and her partner (Rafael Contreras). There he meets Antonio (Antonio Altamirano), the grandson of Cata's housekeeper. Antonio is the first mate on a fishing trawler. Lucas and Antonio fall rapidly into an intensely passionate and tender romance, but they have to make hard choices. I found the latter part of the film quite suspenseful.

The lovers have to face some social hostility. Though they respond to it in different ways, both men are equally independent and strong willed. Their story is complex, but does not end in tragedy. The director sees both men, who are already fully accepting of their orientation, becoming more mature adults through the experience.

Los Fuertes was shot in the historic coastal town of Niebla and the city of Valdivia in the Los Rios (The Rivers) region. Antonio is deeply attached to the island where he grew up with his grandmother, the bay and the town. Many scenes are filmed by Nicolas Ibieta featuring Antonio and Lucas in the stunning landscapes of fog, sea, eroded rock formations, forests, rivers and ruined fortresses. The film also shows the characters embedded in the daily life of the town.

The love scenes are very erotic and sensuous and in other scenes, each man looks at the other in ways that suggest a very genuine feeling.

Producer Dominga Sotomayor describes the film as "a story of love, heartrending and complex, but above all political, with two young people who search for, and defend their [place in the world, not allowing themselves to ridden roughshod over by hostility."

Highly recommended.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #4329 on: March 14, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »
Keep an eye out for Los Fuertes (The Strong Ones), the 2019 debut feature written and directed by Chilean film maker Omar Zuniga Hidalgo. I saw it at the Melbourne Queer Film Festival.

Lucas (Samuel Gonzalez), a young architect from Santiago, has won a scholarship to study in Montreal. He is estranged from his parents because he is gay. Before he leaves for Canada, he travels by bus and ferry to the south of Chile to visit his doctor sister Cata (Marcela Salinas) and her partner (Rafael Contreras). There he meets Antonio (Antonio Altamirano), the grandson of Cata's housekeeper. Antonio is the first mate on a fishing trawler. Lucas and Antonio fall rapidly into an intensely passionate and tender romance, but they have to make hard choices. I found the latter part of the film quite suspenseful.

The lovers have to face some social hostility. Though they respond to it in different ways, both men are equally independent and strong willed. Their story is complex, but does not end in tragedy. The director sees both men, who are already fully accepting of their orientation, becoming more mature adults through the experience.

Los Fuertes was shot in the historic coastal town of Niebla and the city of Valdivia in the Los Rios (The Rivers) region. Antonio is deeply attached to the island where he grew up with his grandmother, the bay and the town. Many scenes are filmed by Nicolas Ibieta featuring Antonio and Lucas in the stunning landscapes of fog, sea, eroded rock formations, forests, rivers and ruined fortresses. The film also shows the characters embedded in the daily life of the town.

The love scenes are very erotic and sensuous and in other scenes, each man looks at the other in ways that suggest a very genuine feeling.

Producer Dominga Sotomayor describes the film as "a story of love, heartrending and complex, but above all political, with two young people who search for, and defend their [place in the world, not allowing themselves to ridden roughshod over by hostility."

Highly recommended.

Sounds good, I'll definitely look for it.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4330 on: March 14, 2020, 08:19:46 PM »
It DOES sound good, and interesting too......with 'maybe' a Happy Ending!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4331 on: March 16, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
ditto.. !

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4332 on: March 16, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
I don't know why I'd never seen the 1980 German film Taxi Zum Klo (Taxi to the Toilet) before. I went to see it in the Bring It Back program at the Melbourne Queer Film Festival the other day.

It's a crazy, semi-autobiographical docudrama by the gay director Frank Ripploh. It has some very funny moments. It depicts his unabashedly polymorphously perverse romp through Berlin in the pre-HIV 1970s. He keeps his life and work as a public school teacher separate from his private life which is filmed in very explicit sexual and even medical detail, though he does sit in public toilets correcting his students' homework while waiting to score with strangers.

The film also documents his relationship with his real fife partner, Bernd Broaderup who is monogamous and has quite different aspirations in life.

He reaches a crisis when after the all-night Queens Ball where he parties dressed and made up as an odalisque, he goes straight to school in the morning.

He is not a pedophile and in fact makes a short film to warn kids against being assaulted by pedophiles.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:14:47 PM by tfferg »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4333 on: March 23, 2020, 06:28:52 PM »
Fortunately the last film I saw before the Melbourne Queer Film Festival was suspended was Roman, the 2018 Argentinean feature written and directed by Majo Staffolani.

46 year-old Roman (Carlo Argento) is an employee of a Buenos Aires real estate agency. His marriage seems a bit humdrum - he and his wife are preoccupied with their separate work or interests. His wife is very sceptical of the promises of benefits made by the owner of the estate agency who is planning on taking a back seat and handing over the management to Roman. However, the latter has to cope with the machinations of the owner's ambitious son who also works at the agency.

Lucas, a young assistant theatre director comes as usual to the house to pick up Roman's daughter who calls him her partner and take her to a rehearsal of the production in which she is playing. Lucas urgently needs to find a new apartment, so she asks Roman to help him.

As Roman has to negotiate the new roles at the office, he goes out to do the cleaning and repairs of apartments to let and shows them to prospective tenants. He and we are surprised by the young man who seduces him.

Some drama follows, but it is not his new sexual awakening in itself that challenges or upsets Roman and he doesn't let the unexpected development in the relationship with his new paramour trouble him for long at all.

So the film ends on a very pleasurable note and a sense that he is making a new beginning.

I'm not sure that the film is getting much theatrical release but it might be accessible online.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4334 on: March 24, 2020, 08:00:30 AM »
I watched I am Jonas, with the great Felix Maritaud in the main role as the older Jonas. The film could have used a better screenplay, and maybe director. But I liked all of the perfomances in it. It's not in English, had the subtitles, but some of the dialogue didn't make it to the screen, so I got lost a few times!.......I have yet to see Felix in Sauvage/Wild, I think I'll have to order that film.......