The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 636898 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4275 on: October 09, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
Speaking of gay history, Circus of Books is an unusual "slice of LGBTQ culture and history" in the US.

This looks really good, Tony. I'll have to look for it on Netflix. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4276 on: October 09, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »

I didn't know anything about that documentary, Tony. That place is across the street from a bar that opened in 1981 called The Gold Coast and because it's patrons are a lot of guys that used to frequent it back in the 80's it's earned the unfortunate (or fortunate?) moniker of being called the Old Coast.

Both Circus of Books and Gold Coast are diagonally across the street from a coffee shop type restaurant called The Silver Spoon where we had a Brokie gathering after a screening of the film at AMPAS in 2008. And I recall a lovely meal there with Linda, Jimmy, John and myself one weekend. (When was that?) Before Silver Spoon it was called Theodore's. After the owners decided they just didn't want to own it anymore they sold it to a company that remodeled the entire thing and it's now called Connie & Ted's and now specializes in fish and seafood, no longer a coffee-shop.  When it was Theodore's and Silver Spoon,  Shelley Winters, for one, used to frequent the place.

Not that any of this has to do with Circus of Books or the documentary, which I was glad to find out about.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4277 on: October 09, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
I didn't know anything about that documentary, Tony. That place is across the street from a bar that opened in 1981 called The Gold Coast and because it's patrons are a lot of guys that used to frequent it back in the 80's it's earned the unfortunate (or fortunate?) moniker of being called the Old Coast.

Both Circus of Books and Gold Coast are diagonally across the street from a coffee shop type restaurant called The Silver Spoon where we had a Brokie gathering after a screening of the film at AMPAS in 2008. And I recall a lovely meal there with Linda, Jimmy, John and myself one weekend. (When was that?) Before Silver Spoon it was called Theodore's. After the owners decided they just didn't want to own it anymore they sold it to a company that remodeled the entire thing and it's now called Connie & Ted's and now specializes in fish and seafood, no longer a coffee-shop.  When it was Theodore's and Silver Spoon,  Shelley Winters, for one, used to frequent the place.

Not that any of this has to do with Circus of Books or the documentary, which I was glad to find out about.

I wondered if you knew of the bookshop and the film, Lyle. Your memories and description do put the shop into a context.

If I remember correctly, I think the bookshop has been replaced by a shop selling cannabis.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4278 on: October 10, 2019, 03:01:54 PM »
^^^

That location is still empty last I went by it.  I just looked online and a couple real estate sites have the property as vacant, so I don't know if that info you had fell through or not.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4279 on: October 10, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »

--Pain and Glory

This is Pedro Almodovar's latest film, sort of a story drawing on his own life and work.
Antonio Banderas is a lead and Penelope Cruz has a role in it. Also an actor that was
in the film Burnt Money, a kind of gay Bonnie & Clyde story, from around 20 years ago.

This film was less out there than a lot of Almodovar's films and somewhat static,
especially in the middle section, but...and I hate to use this word, but it was worthy!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4280 on: October 11, 2019, 05:27:43 AM »
--Pain and Glory

This is Pedro Almodovar's latest film, sort of a story drawing on his own life and work.
Antonio Banderas is a lead and Penelope Cruz has a role in it. Also an actor that was
in the film Burnt Money, a kind of gay Bonnie & Clyde story, from around 20 years ago.

This film was less out there than a lot of Almodovar's films and somewhat static,
especially in the middle section, but...and I hate to use this word, but it was worthy!

Yes, Lyle,it's not so over-the-top as many of his previous films, It's mellower What do you mean 'worthy' ?

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4281 on: October 11, 2019, 07:09:17 AM »

I'd love to see it soon.

Have seen and appreciated almost all of P.A.'s movies, except the silly and amateurish gays-in-a-plane film he did some years go, and (I know, this may sound strange) All about my mother.

The one exception - everybody loved it and praised it, I disliked it. I gave it another try, but to no avail.

I love all his movies from his early period, plus VOLVER. His masterpiece.

And HABLE CON ELLA. Unforgettable.

WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4282 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »
Yes, Lyle, it's not so over-the-top as many of his previous films, It's mellower What do you mean 'worthy' ?

That word seems to have a connotation, especially around award season time, of a film you should see, but might not necessarily like. I didn't mean it that way which is why I said "I hate to use this word" first. I should've found another word or way to say what I wanted to in a different way!

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4283 on: October 11, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
I would like to watch it, even if I found Almodovar a little disappointing the last years.
Which is the actor you mean, Lyle? Leonardo Sbaraglia? I love this guy, funny enough, the movie from his filmography that most impressed me was his first one, "Night of the Pencils ", a heartbreaking movie about the high school kids that were tortured and "disappeared" in Argentina during the dictatorship because of their belonging to left organisations.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4284 on: October 11, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Leonardo Sbaraglia?

Yes, he's the one!

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4285 on: October 11, 2019, 04:19:41 PM »
I found Almodovar a little disappointing the last years.

I know what you mean.
WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4286 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
I know what you mean.

Apparently the film, unlike his previous productions, has been widely praised in Spain and has been doing well in cinemas there.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4287 on: October 12, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
Yes, they have been talking about it nonstop on the news. It's not only Almodovar, it is also the coming back of Penelope and Antonio that has people so atracted to the movie. Banderas is maybe big in Hollywood, but I have the feeling that his true talent shows in Spanish movies, where he doesn't need to fake accents and attitudes.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4288 on: October 12, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
Yes, they have been talking about it nonstop on the news. It's not only Almodovar, it is also the coming back of Penelope and Antonio that has people so atracted to the movie. Banderas is maybe big in Hollywood, but I have the feeling that his true talent shows in Spanish movies, where he doesn't need to fake accents and attitudes.

Antonio Banderas won the best actor award at Cannes. Many critics are saying his performance is the best of his career. It is very subtle and nuanced. Penelope Cruz's performance is a wonderful characterisation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:04:16 PM by tfferg »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4289 on: October 12, 2019, 04:46:20 PM »
Pain and Glory, Banderas is aging nicely, no?  ;D