The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084019 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4590 on: April 06, 2021, 05:26:10 PM »
There was a review on NPR this afternoon of a South African film Moffie (a slur word for gay people in Afrikaans) from 2019, about a young man drafted into the homophobic South African Army of 1981.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/06/984652618/basic-training-proves-anything-but-basic-in-the-powerful-south-african-drama-mof

Our US Army basic was bad enough, back in 1970.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4591 on: April 07, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
^^^^ Thanks Fritz!! I read about "Moffie" somewhere else and added to my "must watch" list.  The NPR review portrays the life in hard realism.  Hell.   There are a few YT vids/trailers and an interviews with the actors.   --> https://www.moffiefilm.com/behind-the-scenes

An indepth review in "Variety" -> https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/moffie-review-1203323700/

I do not believe this film is available to stream yet in the US.
The book is available though. 
Yes, from the trailers, looks like a very tough watch.

An interesting thing is it is set in 1981 or about the same time as CMBYN.  What a dichotomy of life?  I hope to see it when it becomes available.  If anyone' read the book, let us know. 

.. YMMV.   Stay safe, stay alive!  V.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:56:33 AM by gattaca »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4592 on: April 07, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »
A friend watched it and found it very tough. Not for me, I think.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #4593 on: April 07, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
An interesting thing is it is set in 1981 or about the same time as CMBYN.  What a dichotomy of life?

Of course, BBM ends in the early Eighties, too.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4594 on: April 07, 2021, 07:18:00 PM »
The very erotic thriller Sequin in a Blue Room which I reviewed here in August 2019 (reply #4281) is reviewed complete with atrailer in The Guardian today (8 April) ahead of it becoming available on digital platforms tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:28:49 AM by tfferg »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #4595 on: April 08, 2021, 08:09:22 AM »
^^^ That one might be tough.  At this point, I'm too damn aged to further understand the nonchalant youths - full of fleeting meaningless and discard-able moments.  Your "highly recommended" comment means I will take a chance as the story really morphs into a thriller for finding that deep connection of romance over app-sex - so in a way - hopelessly romantic?  ;)  V.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:16:47 AM by gattaca »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4596 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:32 PM »
^^^ That one might be tough.  At this point, I'm too damn aged to further understand the nonchalant youths - full of fleeting meaningless and discard-able moments.  Your "highly recommended" comment means I will take a chance as the story really morphs into a thriller for finding that deep connection of romance over app-sex - so in a way - hopelessly romantic?  ;)  V.

I hope you do find it worth your while, Vince.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #4597 on: April 09, 2021, 03:41:37 PM »
^^^ 10-4 I will! 

^^^ I just saw "Moffie"  This film is as tough to watch as I anticipated - tougher actually as it had me cringing at points to where I was quite, "uncomfortable".  Now I think I should read the novel.  Anyone else read it?  I'll defer posting more or any spoilers until more have viewed. 

Please pay very close attention to the film's ending - visually and audibly... I'm very torn with the rift.  I'd like to see some other vantages on it's message and meaning for Nicholas and Dylan.  (~ last 5 minutes starting with when Nicholas is on the train.)

Some reviews.  Strongly recommend skipping them until viewing. I like the NPR review Fritz posted.

Mini - spoiler ON

There are several elements of the film which hearken back to BBM.
  • The way the main character portrays himself is reminiscent of Ennis
  • The childhood flashback was more traumatic than anyone understood and forever altered his perception of himself
  • The raw-fear was always just beneath the surface
  • The "rain event" has a clear parallel
  • We are left wondering did Ward 22 "kill" the real Dylan?

Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace.  Later. V. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:30:37 PM by gattaca »

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #4598 on: April 12, 2021, 12:58:22 AM »

Yes, there are many well-done "short films" on YT which merit watching if you find some cycles on our busy, hectic, run-around-everywhere lives lately (an into the forseeable next 9+ months).. :(  ;) 

The have a more melancholic angle. If you don't want to go there, I'd skip for now.  Maybe this could be a theme in this tread about YT ORIGINAL shorts (30 mins or less) which are outstanding.  I'd exclude covers.

04 Feb 21, modified with some points

a) Forces -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-kmxgTFzg
   > nicely done, obvious connection to his best friend, no one dies, lives are changed.  The river is a a powerful symbol. 

b) The World We Live In -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdHmWHRBLQ
   > Asks hard questions, "Tell'm what they want to hear." and has a strong cautionary tale.  No one dies.  It is difficult to watch though.

c) In Half -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISabqAOjKxo&list=PLucteE03WjT7fQzaVSK2rGzViCIk9eY88&index=62
  > Reconciliation after a suicide is difficult - especially for the non-accepting families. The surviving brother being his twin has to come to terms with why his brother suicided.  His partner is not exactly welcome at the funeral. This one is tough to watch. 

d) Trunks -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZUx85JGgZ4&list=PLucteE03WjT7fQzaVSK2rGzViCIk9eY88&index=95
  > Nobody dies.  The voice overlay is amusing.  Fleeting moments in time.

I caught top with these shorts today, Vince.

It's interesting that they share characters with their conflicts about being gay or not necessarily at either extreme of the spectrum of sexuality/gender identity in their respective family and social contexts.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #4599 on: April 28, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
10-4 Glad you were able to finally see those.  I thought they were well above YT's average ilk.  I especially liked "Forces"

Has anyone see this film "Retake (2016)" ->  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4327510/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I'm not sure how I missed it for 5 years.  The reviews are mostly positive and the story feels relevant.   Share your thoughts?   I've not watched it yet.

30 Apr 21... watched "Retake"  got a lot more than I expected from this film.  It's well done study on life, happiness, trust and time.

I'm still surprised no one else has commented on "Moffie" which has been out a few weeks.  ??  Stay safe, stay alive!  Get that 2nd shot!  V.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:32:16 PM by gattaca »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4600 on: May 10, 2021, 09:12:46 AM »
I watched Monsoon on Netflix last night. A nice film, with a lot of great shots around the cities of Saigon and Hanoi. Both cities teeming with life, but I'm afraid would be distracting to me now, too crowded, so MANY little scooters everywhere! lol........the Lead character is gay, not a lot of sex scenes or nudity in this one. An interesting/decent film to watch.  ;)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4601 on: May 10, 2021, 10:26:58 AM »

Oh, that sounds promising.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4602 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
I bought Monsoon a few months ago and liked it.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4603 on: May 10, 2021, 06:43:57 PM »
See, Sara?! Like Minds!  ;D ;)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4604 on: May 11, 2021, 12:34:49 AM »
Happy about that! Though I’m sorry to inform you that I’m not into American sport. ;D