The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084649 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #4665 on: July 28, 2021, 03:42:20 AM »
--Dance of the Forty-One

Chuck posted about this movie in the TDS around two months ago and I decided to watch it.  It's about an illegal police raid on a house in Mexico 120 years ago where they found prominent men dancing together, half of them in women's clothes. The government tried to cover it up because the Mexican president's son-in-law was presumed to be involved and other prominent citizens.

Herein lies the problem with the movie...there isn't a lot of factual information to draw on so what we're presented with is all pretty surfacey. But I did like the period aspect of it and seeing gay people from another time period and another country, but the style of the film outweighs the subject in many ways, but it's great style.

Just watched this on Netflix. I did like it, and enjoyed the style. Sad - for everyone. The wife was cruel at the end, but I was intensely sorry for her too.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4666 on: July 28, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »

"For screen goddess Gloria Swanson... SUNSET BOULEVARD was only the beginning!" BOULEVARD! A HOLLYWOOD STORY documents the strange but true story of the FIRST Sunset Boulevard musical. Everyone knows about the 1994 Andrew Lloyd Webber Broadway musical adaptation of Sunset Boulevard, but few know that the idea for a musical adaptation of Billy Wilder’s 1950 movie was actually first formulated by the movie’s star, Gloria Swanson.

From 1952 to 1956, Swanson worked with gay couple Dickson Hughes and Richard Stapley, two young songwriters and romantic partners, on writing the book and score. They were almost finished when a love triangle between the three derailed the project.

Luke Yankee was the director of a musical cabaret based on the making of it called SWANSON ON SUNSET that was performed at the Roosevelt Hotel's Cinegrill on Hollywood Blvd. and he was interviewed for this a few years ago by documentarian Jeffrey Schwarz, the director of Tab Hunter Confidential and I Am Divine, and says, "It's a juicy story about a love triangle with Gloria Swanson and two gay men. I can't wait to see it."

Boulevard! A Hollywood Story, will be premiering at the Outfest Festival in Los Angeles (on Sunset Boulevard, of course!) on August 17th, 2021.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4667 on: July 28, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4668 on: July 28, 2021, 02:33:57 PM »
Luke Yankee was the director of a musical cabaret based on the making of it called SWANSON ON SUNSET that was performed at the Roosevelt Hotel's Cinegrill on Hollywood Blvd. and he was interviewed for this a few years ago by documentarian Jeffrey Schwarz, the director of Tab Hunter Confidential and I Am Divine, and says, "It's a juicy story about a love triangle with Gloria Swanson and two gay men. I can't wait to see it."

I have a story about this. I saw this production of Swanson on Sunset at the Cinegrill! It was in 1994. In 1993, I had first seen Webber's version of Sunset Blvd. in London with Patti Lupone in October. When I returned to Los Angeles the musical premiered at the Shubert Theatre in November where I saw it again, twice that year, and a couple more times in 1994 when it prematurely closed later on because of the Faye Dunaway flap, before it moved to Broadway.

In December of 1994 the SWANSON ON SUNSET cabaret production at the Hollywood Roosevelt Cinegrill opened and because I really love the musical, I, of course, attended this. I loved this, too. I also really liked the music, a different kind of take on what Webber did with it, but it was written way before that, in the 1950's!  It even opened  with video footage of Gloria Swanson doing a number from this show on Jack Paar's program!

The composer of the music, Dickson Hughes, played the piano for this and also stepped into the role of himself at various times in this presentation. Not too long after I saw this, Dickson Hughes became a frequent visitor to Video West where I looked. I first noticed when I waited on the guy and saw his name on the computer. So I had to tell him I saw it and how much I enjoyed the music. So much so that I asked him if there were any recordings of it that I could find, as I'd really love to have that. He seemed flattered that I liked it that much and he said he'd try and see what he could do. He said something about any recordings of it are in the library collection at the University of Texas, or something.

Well...that never happened.  :(

To make this story shorter, I'll jump to 2019 when I discovered that 11 years earlier, in 2008, a British company called Stage Door Records, released a double CD collection called "Gloria Swanson in Boulevard."

I couldn't believe 11 years went by and I, or especially a friend of mine who knows 99% of everything to do with Broadway, musicals, and show recordings, had never come across this before! I, of course, looked up Stage Door Records and on their website they have a page for this so I was at first really excited.

http://www.stagedoorrecords.com/stage9005.html

If you look at the page listing there it's a 2 CD release with a total of 43 songs and music, with several bonus tracks. I was like, "Yowsa!" And also extensive informative liner notes by co-author Richard Stapley. H-o-w-e-v-e-r, there was no button to place an order for it. ???  I wrote to them and told them my story and they replied, saying: "Unfortunately, the 'Boulevard!' CD is long since out of print. It was released in 2008 and was a limited pressing of just 500 units so very quickly sold out. I'm really sorry we can't help out with the CD."  They did say that a 33 1/3 album of some of the songs had been put out at one time and they occasionally turn up for sale. But I want it all.

:'(

I keep hoping one might appear on eBay or British eBay, but I don't check often. (Please check, Sara, heh! DO you know of any used music stores there? Like Amoeba here in L.A.?) Maddening! There must be one of those 500 CD sets someone doesn't want. Or would let me borrow! (Yes, to copy!)

If you go to the link above there are a few selections from this CD set that you can listen to.

...sigh... Maybe someday!

Stage Door Records happened to have released two double disc collections of Christmas music the last two years. In 2019, A Vintage Broadway Christmas, which I had bought prior to finding out about the Boulevard cd, and last year, 2020, they released A Hollywood Christmas. Each release has over 50 songs on it! Lots of unreleased material, or hadn't been in decades. I loved both of them.

I am definitely going to see this new documentary!!!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4669 on: July 28, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »
Here you go! Sunset Boulevard by John Barrowman, I just love his voice! He's Gay too!  ;D

https://youtu.be/1atWehdBp7M

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #4670 on: July 29, 2021, 02:03:53 AM »
^^^ just setup an eBay US and UK search and set to email or text you and if one ever surfaces you will know it shortly.

I’d set up 2 one specific and general. You need an ID on US and UK ebay I think.

Gloria Swanson CD 5055122190059 -poster

And more general

Gloria Swanson CD -poster

Later V

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4671 on: July 29, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »

Hey, that's nice of you, Vincent!    :-*

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4672 on: July 29, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
Here you go! Sunset Boulevard by John Barrowman, I just love his voice! He's Gay too!  ;D
https://youtu.be/1atWehdBp7M

Speaking of Christmas albums, John also has a recently released one:

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4673 on: July 29, 2021, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks, Lyle!! I must get this or listen on YT!  ;D

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4674 on: July 29, 2021, 06:02:51 PM »
I love the title!   :laugh:

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #4675 on: July 30, 2021, 11:46:12 PM »
We started discussing the film "Moffie" a while back. Did anyone else get to watch the film - thoughts?  V.

I finished reading the book "Moffie" which the film was based on.   Still a tough read and a bit harder due to some of the South African dialects.   The film diverged from the book quite dramatically in the relationships and who committed suicide.  I thought the film's ending more likeable (if you can say that) than the book's ending and there was an entire pivotal relationship in the book which never appeared in the film.  I liked the film's hopeful and yet ambiguous ending where Nicholas goes to visit Dylan, who's finally home from Ward 22, and they go for a drive to sea, which Nicholas has never seen.  They go for a nuanced swim in the ocean and then the film leaves everything that could be or may have been up to your viewer to extend in their mind's eye.   Quite different from the book.  V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4676 on: July 31, 2021, 03:58:27 PM »
10 romantic films all gay, bisexual and queer men should watch

he queers haven’t had it easy when it comes to representation. In the words of God Save This Queen hitmaker Bimini Bon Boulash, “Not a joke, just a fact.” For a long time, queer people only saw themselves on screen as the ‘sidekick’ character whose sexuality was undefined and sole purpose in the narrative was to bring in the laughs. Now, the community are – we won’t say ‘thriving’ because so much more works need to be done – able to sit down, watch a film and identify with a queer leading character. Finally! Over the past few years, representation has dramatically improved – you can even find dedicated sections for LGBTQ+ films on streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Here, we round up 10 of the best romantic dramas that all queer men need to watch and where you can stream them in the UK.

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/culture/romantic-films-all-gay-bisexual-and-queer-men-should-watch/

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #4677 on: July 31, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »
^^^^ A VERY VERY good listing.  There are a few I'd add but the order there is pretty damn good.  V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4678 on: July 31, 2021, 05:25:42 PM »
^^^^ A VERY VERY good listing.  There are a few I'd add but the order there is pretty damn good.  V.

What ones would you add?

While it's not up to the quality of the ones on the list, I would add Shelter, it's a fave of mine.  I'd also add Later Days.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4679 on: July 31, 2021, 08:20:26 PM »
I've seen them all, except for CMBYN, amazingly no, haven't seen it. Read the book, watched a lot of YT clips of scenes, so basically watched the whole film through that venue. I'm surprised some older dated films didn't make the list. Like Maurice, Making Love, In and Out, A Single Man, among others, but that would probably 'date' me a little!! haha.... :o ;D :P :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:04:15 AM by Flyboy »