The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084539 times)

Offline trcarr

• Feet Wet
Re: Queer Cinema
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
I certainly hope that the possibility of "The Front Runner" being filmed is true.  I read it waaaay back in 1976 or 1977 when it was first published, and recall the explosiive reactions of pride, anger, and revenge which it provoked.

As for parallels with BBM: they're tenuous at best.  While Annie Proulx's short story was heralded as a masterpiece of modern literature, Patricia Nell Warren's work hardly reached those lofty levels.   Granted, it's basically a melodramatic gay Harlequin Romance, but it sure caused plenty of tears on my pillow.

In the hands of great screenwriting and direction, The Front Runner could be quite a flick.  Larry, Osanna, and Ang -- are you listening???

Offline Sam in Chicago

• Feet Wet
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »
My all-time favorite gay-themed films:

1. BBM
2. My Beautiful Laundrette
3. Big Eden
4. Maurice
5. The Wedding Banquet (Thanks, Ang, for 2 of my favorites!)
6. The Lost Language of Cranes (British made for TV movie from 1991)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 08:37:43 PM by Sam in Chicago »
It's because of you, Jack, I'm like this...nothing...nowhere....

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 11:52:44 AM »
What is the plotline of Yossi and Jaeger? I saw a great lesbian flick called "Aimee and Jaguar" about lovers who are separated by the Holocaust.

Yossi & Jagger takes place in modern times and is about two Israeli soldiers.  I hesitate to say much, because I never know if giving information spoils the movie.  It is very short (-- I think like 67 minutes--), and yet very complete. 

Ahh...thanks. That one's going on my Netflix queue!

Dback--very interesting story about your ostensible true love who came back, and your true one! I did have one person who kept trying to reunite with me--to the point where I had to get a restraining order! Crazy ones don't count  :P

So Brad wants to be gay now, e h? The thing is, excellent actors have traditionally never had trouble taking on gay roles--they just knew they wouldn't automatically be hollywood blockbusters. I guess Brad now thinks he can regain (if he ever had it) both a "serious actor" rep and a blockbuster . ::)

Who better than Colin Farrell to co-star? Alexander meets Achilles! Whoo-hoo!

Offline Tory Kennedy

• Feet Wet
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »
Has anyone seen "A Home at the End of the World" with Collin Farrel in it.  A very well scripted film where Collin plays a gay (or maybe bisexual) guy.  Very moving and Collin's character is SO extremely complicated and well-crafted, one of my favorite characters in film.  Plus there are plenty of great make-out scenes between Collin and another man, but that's not why you should see it.  Its just a beautiful story about 3 very unordinary people who simply try their best to live an ordinary life (that's summing up the film rather shortly).
what?

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 11:56:26 PM »
I like that movie. Not great, but a decent little fim to watch. IMO.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 12:37:45 AM »
I just came across this very interesting document entitled "Notes on Gay History/Queer Theory/Queer Film" by Dr. Harry M. Benshoff of the University of North Texas and thought it might fit here:

http://www.unt.edu/ally/queerfilm.html
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline mattie

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2006, 08:17:44 PM »
Some great recommendations! I've been reading a lot of gay lit and seeing movies since BBM. I saw one called Wilde the other night, about Oscar Wilde. It was terrific, and very honest with the sex scenes. Stephen Fry as Oscar was incredible. Plus, you know, Jude Law...  ;)

Keep the recommendations coming!

Offline FinnGal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 03:56:35 PM »
My all-time favorite gay-themed films:

1. BBM
2. My Beautiful Laundrette
3. Big Eden
4. Maurice
5. The Wedding Banquet (Thanks, Ang, for 2 of my favorites!)
6. The Lost Language of Cranes (British made for TV movie from 1991)

Oh wow, I read The Lost Language Of Cranes in 1992 or thereabout -never knew there was a TV film made based on the book, as well! I hope to see it someday...

Maurice I liked better as a book, though the film was ok, too.

The Wedding Banquet was really good, with a healthy amount of humour. Go Ang!  ;D

Offline Sam in Chicago

• Feet Wet
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 11:03:38 PM »
Oh wow, I read The Lost Language Of Cranes in 1992 or thereabout -never knew there was a TV film made based on the book, as well! I hope to see it someday...

Hi FinnGal,

Yes, there indeed was a TV movie made of The Lost Language of Cranes. Go to www.imdb.com and you can look it up and find out about it. It has always been a favorite of mine, and it seems almost nobody has heard of it or seen it. I saw it at a the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Film Festival years and years ago.

Yeah, on Maurice, I do like the book a bit better than the film as well, though the film is quite well done.

As for the Wedding Banquet, my partner and I almost died laughing at several scenes when we first saw it--since my partner is Chinese, it hit very close to home!

Peace--
It's because of you, Jack, I'm like this...nothing...nowhere....

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »
Here's a film I enjoyed;

Bad Education by Pedro Almodovar. Features Gael García Bernal from Motorcycle Diaries and Y tu mamá también.

Lots of double-crossing, red herrings and multi-layered - it's a drama/thriller. Spanish with subtitles.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »
Here's a film I enjoyed;

Bad Education by Pedro Almodovar. Features Gael García Bernal from Motorcycle Diaries and Y tu mamá también.

Lots of double-crossing, red herrings and multi-layered - it's a drama/thriller. Spanish with subtitles.

Thanks for the recommendation, not sure how I missed that one.
How could the combination of Gael Garcia Bernal and Almodovar be anyting but good?
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline FinnGal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2006, 05:03:26 AM »

Hi FinnGal,

Yes, there indeed was a TV movie made of The Lost Language of Cranes. Go to www.imdb.com and you can look it up and find out about it. It has always been a favorite of mine, and it seems almost nobody has heard of it or seen it. I saw it at a the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Film Festival years and years ago.

Hey, thanks for the link, Sam, will look it up tonight! Now I need to get ready to go and see BBM for the second time. :D

Offline FinnGal

• Feet Wet
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2006, 05:08:38 AM »
Y tu mamá también.

This film has a killer kiss scene with the two leading men!!

I have not yet seen Bad Education, which is inexcusable really. Almodovar´s work is pure quality.  8)

Offline Anchy

• Feet Wet
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2006, 05:19:22 AM »
Y tu mamá también.

This film has a killer kiss scene with the two leading men!!

I really like that scene, but i don't think that the movie altogether can be considered as gay themed

If you can't fix it you gotta stand it

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)