The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084754 times)

Offline dback

• Obsessed
Re: Queer Cinema
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »
Oh, and Almovodar's "Law of Desire"--you will NEVER look at Antonio Banderas the same way again.  ;) 

I should've mentioned "All Over the Guy" as well, with a knockout turn by Richard Ruccalo (sp?).
"No reins on this one."

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 01:20:16 PM »
I finally saw 'Transamerica' last night and truly loved it.  What a sweet movie.  Laughed out loud at the 'fourth level vegan' and how that part of the story resolved itself and the interlude with the parents in Arizona.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2006, 01:43:22 PM »
The 1982 movie "Making Love" is coming out on DVD.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060207/en_usatoday/piggybackingonbrokeback

Carissa , got my copy of this 3 days ago. It was on back order for the longest.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2006, 01:47:26 PM »
Sorry, everyone that posts here. I just wandered in and have been catching up with all the posts. Thanks for all the great recommendations. I have about 75% of these films but am anxious to see the others that have been mentioned here.
This will be a regular stop for me from here on out.
Thanks

Hey FinnGal, why didn't you tell me this was here :D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 01:58:01 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2006, 01:57:49 PM »
First of all I highly recommend "Bad Education" by Almodovar even though it is unusually dark movie for him. The Beautiful Thing is also exceptionally good small movie.

Even though "Priscilla, the Queen of the Desert" isn't one of my all time favorites I am kind of surprised that no one has mentioned it before.
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2006, 02:33:22 AM »
Or "To Wong Foo."  ;D

"Trick" was very cute. "Speedway Junkie" is not bad. I did not like 'Priest." I hated "The Fluffer" (and I should have known I would). I have never been a big "Jeffery" fan.

"Angles in America" is stupendous. I haven't seen "Rent." Or the new lesbian flick just out (with Piper Peraboo). I still haven't seen "End of Days" (gay Mormon movie).

I liked "Bad Education" but did not love it.

I don't understand why critics did not like "Transamerica." I thought it was very watchable and fun. I am rooting for Felicity and Dolly (I love that song) at the Oscars.

I like that other gay movie that came out this year. The one with all the Oscar noms. It has gay cowboys. Damn, what was the name of that one? I am sure it will come to me. You guys should check it out.  :D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »
I like so many of the movies mentioned above. 

One of my favorites I did not see mentioned is

Just a Question of Love, it is french with english subtitles.

Thanks for the recommendations on the others. :)
... Kierkegaard

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
First of all I highly recommend "Bad Education" by Almodovar even though it is unusually dark movie for him. The Beautiful Thing is also exceptionally good small movie.

I already recommended Bad Education. I'm glad you liked it too

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »
Is it just a Canadian queer film problem?  :P I'm sorta kidding, but the queer films from Canada that I've seen lately were big flops here in the U.S. One was "Lost and Delirious," a lesbian-themed movie with Piper Perabo. The other was "Twist," with the fantabulous Nick Stahl playing the gay version of Dodge in the Dickensian tale.  I hear he played the role practically for free.

Speaking of Pedro Almadovar, I loved "Women on the Verge of A Nervous Breakdown" which has a strong transvestite/transexual theme. I liked "Wong Foo" but it did seem maybe  a little like a "let's watch manly Hollywood actors act 'stereotypically' gay, hahahaha"--however, John Leguizamo was a GORGEOUS woman!

This isn't cinema, but doesn't anyone think the prison mano a mano sex in "Oz" was pretty hot?

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2006, 08:21:26 PM »
Is it just a Canadian queer film problem?  :P I'm sorta kidding, but the queer films from Canada that I've seen lately were big flops here in the U.S. One was "Lost and Delirious," a lesbian-themed movie with Piper Perabo. The other was "Twist," with the fantabulous Nick Stahl playing the gay version of Dodge in the Dickensian tale.  I hear he played the role practically for free.

Aceygirl - I think there may be a problem with the amount of marketing done here in the dim christian south (which I think fits as the counterpart to great white north - see also "my name is Joe and I am Canadian").  I saw a fun film (with Sandra Oh - so why wasn't it marketed here?) called "Wilby Wonderful" at the LGBT film festival here - I thought it was sweet and dealt nicely with someone worried about being 'found out' as gay.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline mybbm

• Experienced
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 01:19:34 AM »
Geez, just found out this thread as I've been busy reading other threads of BBM. This is a great thread with good information.  Thanks to you folks for recommending these films.

Yes, my all time favorites are (all mentioned here already) and of course, now BBM is ranking Top 1 on the list:

Maurice - love it! So beautiful and classic.  Visual enjoyment. Good music. (I have not read the book.  Seems everybody said book is even better.)
My Beautiful Laundrette  - love, no boundary.
Beautiful Thing - so sweet and innocent that soften your heart.
Another Country - good, also help understand gay history
Gods and Monsters - don't like it
Wedding Banquet (By Ang Lee too) - humorous and fun piece of work. Chinese film English subtitle.
Priest - good but heavy topic. I like it.

OK, my recommendation here -

Farewell My Concubine (Not to get confused by looking at the poster, it's about gays, not lesbians)
This is not small piece of work.  This is a Chinese big fame film -

"Farewell My Concubine won a Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival (1993), as well as Best Foreign Language Film from the Golden Globes(1994) and the Los Angeles Film Critics Association(1993).  Gong Li won a Best Supporting Actress Award from the New York Film Critics Circle (1993)"

The main character is a famous movie star in HK.  I real life, he was gay but not in the closet, he killed himself several years ago by jumping off a highrise building during the rush hours.  It was very shocking news in HK. (Died on April Fool)

This movie contains very heavy stuff.  Be ready, you need to have artsy stomach and strength to finish watching.  Worth to watch if you are into theater/filming art and culturally open minded.

Did we forget our famous "Midnight Cowboy"??

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 01:45:18 AM »
Someone mentioned Twist with Nick Stahl. I saw it. It was just okay in my book.

I have never been a big fan of Midnight Cowboy. I dunno why. Maybe I need to see it again. I think it is too subtextual for me in my very out gay world. Does that make me lazy, needing it spelled out just a tad bit more?

You know BBM is my fav movie now. However, I'm not sure if Torch Song Trilogy (with all its warts) was not a more important gay movie for me. I was also more destroyed by Philadelphia. And, I still watch Bird Cage every year because I find it very funny, and I love the love between the two main characters (that part where Robin Williams signs everything over to Nathan Lane, and then tells him he can take it all because he is nothing without him is a tender moment in the history of queer cinema).

However, BBM was this huge event in my life and no work of art has ever been such on this level.

Offline mybbm

• Experienced
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »
From literature point of view, this is a must see classic.

Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice" and a masterpiece by great director, Luchino Visconti’s. Read the novel too if you love literature that kind of stuff.

http://members.tripod.com/Barry_Stone/death_in_venice.htm

http://www.culturecourt.com/Scales/film/DVenice.htm

Offline mybbm

• Experienced
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
I have never been a big fan of Midnight Cowboy. I dunno why. Maybe I need to see it again. I think it is too subtextual for me in my very out gay world. Does that make me lazy, needing it spelled out just a tad bit more?

Umm ... Maybe we select the ones with beautiful face (or pretty) character(s) to watch?? Wink, wink.  I have to admit, I do discriminate and I am bad.  (Guilty)  But I DO watch the ones with meaningful stories with or without pretty faces.   

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 11:00:49 AM »

Aceygirl - I think there may be a problem with the amount of marketing done here in the dim christian south (which I think fits as the counterpart to great white north - see also "my name is Joe and I am Canadian").  I saw a fun film (with Sandra Oh - so why wasn't it marketed here?) called "Wilby Wonderful" at the LGBT film festival here - I thought it was sweet and dealt nicely with someone worried about being 'found out' as gay.

I think you may be right--I have never heard of this film with Sandra Oh, and now I want to see it! She was great in the play "Stop Kiss" about a same-sex female love affair that was staged a few years ago at the Public. Of course, there was also "Sideways" in which her character really got a raw deal. I hear she played a lesbian in "Tuscany" --not that it had anything to do with queer themes.

PeteinPortland, I agree, "Twist" was just okay. But Nick Stahl is never just okay!  ;D He also played the closeted homophobe in "Bully." He was interviewed by the Advocate (I think) for it.