The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 277882 times)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • burbubg passion!
    • AO3
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1650 on: February 24, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
This seems as good a place to leave this as any:

And now... the 8 Best Picture nominees, in order of my favorites, first to last:

SPOILERS be here, for those of you who need me to be considerate!

Bohemian Rhapsody- Thoroughly satisfying, despite years of dramatics in getting the film made, some of which continues today, despite the film's success. Top notch performances by all, especially Rami Malek. This was my favorite film. Will it win? Probably not.

Green Book- Funny, sad, poignant, heartwarming. An unrecognizable Viggo Mortenson. Great performance by Mahershela Ali. Good story, editing, cinematography. Well-paced. Shout out to our girl, Cassie Cartwright, Linda Cardinelli, who was terrific.

BlackKKlansman- This one slammed the audience at the end. Through the first two hours of the film, there were a lot of laughs and a lot of head-nodding in agreement. Then, wham! The reality of what we were laughing about as the image of Charlottesville victim Heather Heyer froze on the screen brought the audience to utter silence. Well done, Spike Lee.

The Favourite- Fantastic costuming, great performances by Olivia Coleman, Emma Stone, and the always fantastic Mrs. Daniel Craig- Rachel Weisz. Quirky plot and bizarre ending, typical of a Lanthimos film.

Black Panther- I can count the number of 'superhero' films I have seen on one hand. Black Panther was a terrific way to spend 2 hours. I didn't need to know any of the stuff from other films, and the story was thoroughly satisfying. I could look at the stunningly beautiful Lupita all day, and she was terrific in this- along with the other badass women in the cast.

Vice- I did not expect to like this film, but it was funny and daunting at the same time. Unconventional storytelling by Adam McKay (The Big Short) with 4th wall breaks interrupted plotline, and misdirection. This was a joy to watch.

A Star is Born- Lady Gaga was terrific, but the plot holes and completely unlikeable co-protagonist with zero redeeming qualities really dogged this film. Poor script-writing could not be saved by Lady Gaga's stellar performance.

Roma- Black and white, but it's no Schindler's list. Heavy on the symbolism of water and birth, but it's no Moonlight. Completely sub-titled, which was a necessary annoyance. Oscar winning direction, but I disliked Cuaron's Gravity too. Beautifully filmed, but I don't know how it got onto this list.

"This is Thor, holding his hammer, Mjollnir. Who hasn’t heard him beating his anvil in the storm? Who doesn’t believe in mighty Thor, slayer of frost and fire?" -Athelstan (History Channel Vikings)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1651 on: February 24, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

Congratulations to you for seeing all these films!

You basically have the films in the order I'd put them in. Maybe 1 notch above or below for some for me.
I'd put Green Book first and Bohemian Rhapsody second, for example. I also have Roma last and it's puzzled me
since I saw it the first week of November what critics and others are seeing in this film that I do not. I thought
the family in this film was profoundly boring, which made me not care at all about the film's artistic merits. They
were in service to...what?

After it won the Venice Film Festival prize in early September, NetFlix started advertising it on bus benches and billboards all over Los Angeles like it was the second coming. (And you know they did it to influence award voters, which made me cynical from the start.) So you'd constantly see these ads about it's the best movie ever, beyond mere great movies, and it became, to me, like the emperor's new clothes story. Like people were afraid to say anything against it. I admit I felt that way before I saw it, but, hey, I've been surprised many times seeing films I thought I might or might not like, so I certainly was willing to give it a chance and feel the same way, but then I saw it and I don't. And frankly, even those few I know who liked it enough don't think it should be winning awards, which it will very well do tonight, though I am so hoping it won't win Best Picture.

I mean, of all the great foreign language films I've seen and loved, THIS ONE would be the one Foreign Film to win the Oscar for
Best Picture? No. No. A thousand times no.

Offline Colgan

• Virgin
« Reply #1652 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »
Do you guys think Spike Lee's behavior during the ceremony was out of line?

Online Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1653 on: March 06, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »
He is always a bit out of line, but I think this was his moment and that he deserved to use it after so many years in the business without recognition. I haven't seen the film yet, but really want to.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1654 on: March 06, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
I believe the behavior he might be referring to is his active disapproval, apparently, when Green Book was announced as Best Picture. Supposedly he got animated and was trying t leave the theatre (the security wouldn't let him) and then acting up backstage, Who does that? Frankly, I am a little over all of his entitlement issues.  Act like you belong there.

Loads of talented people have never even been nominated for an Oscar, much less win one. Some have been nominated over and over and don't win. Spike Lee was given an honorary Oscar a couple years ago and this year on his first nomination he won one. And yet he's still not happy.  ::)

Online Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1655 on: March 06, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that, Lyle. No, that's definitely out of line.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1656 on: March 30, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »
Our hosters are moving this site to a new data centre on Sunday 31st and there may be an outage of a couple of hours between 3am - 11am GMT and 4am -noon for Europe.

Our current DC provider is moving to a new location.

Equinix is one of the most prestigious global colocation providers.  We have had many requests by our loyal client base over the years to expand into foreign and domestic markets.  By adding Equinix’s services to our offerings we can now do more for our clients., As with any quality data center Equinix offers N+1 power with multi utility feeds & generators, N+1 on all cooling system, along with the highest quality onsite security in the business, and so much more.

No IP will be changed. GC servers will take between 2-4 hours to be moved.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1657 on: April 05, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »
We just found out that the move we thought was going to happen on March 30th, didn't happen, and is now happening tonight.

Underlined text is modified to reflect the changes.

Our hosters are moving this site to a new data center on Friday, April 5th  and there may be an outage of four of hours between 8:00pm - 4:00am PDT.

Our current DC provider is moving to a new location.

Equinix is one of the most prestigious global colocation providers.  We have had many requests by our loyal client base over the years to expand into foreign and domestic markets.  By adding Equinix’s services to our offerings we can now do more for our clients., As with any quality data center Equinix offers N+1 power with multi utility feeds & generators, N+1 on all cooling system, along with the highest quality onsite security in the business, and so much more.

No IP will be changed. GC servers will take between 2-4 hours to be moved.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:42:45 PM by CellarDweller115 »