The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 436682 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #480 on: January 13, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Not just L.A., I have seen that film listed on several best lists
of the decade.  Not at the top position, however.  These lists never
come with much explanation, though, so...   Zodiac (Jake film) has
been making a lot of lists, too, which I'm happy to see, as I thought
it was a terrific film.  Even though critics generally reviewed it well,
I don't remember it being on a whole lot of "best of the year" lists,
so to see it on several best of the decade lists is interesting.

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #481 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
I agree, Lyle.  I thought ZODIAC was overlooked when it came out, maybe because of the disappointing box office (I'm proud to say I saw it twice).  Glad to see the critics are remembering it fondly.  Jake and Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Edwards and especially Robert Downey, Jr. were superb in it.

Offline Roland

• Expert
« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »
A bit off-topic, but I thought I'd mention that Brokeback Mountain has recently been added to netflix's list of "instant view" films.   :)

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #483 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
Hello from Kathy!  I'd like to comment on something that's bothered me for years - pls. bear with me!
I've already posted on how furious I am that BBM did not win best picture from that so-called "academy".  To give it to something as unworthy and just plain bad as "TRASH" is the most tremendous error in years; everyone knows it, and if I have my way I'll never let those hypocritical cowards forget it.  However, I'm just as furious that Heath did not win best actor. Jake should have won best supp. actor as well.  (Just an aside - R. Ebert had his own personal agenda for praising "TRASH" to the heavens, and many other damned "critics" of his kind followed along like mice).  Can't stand Ebert, Shalit, and their kind  - never could - and Shalit has always been a tremendous jerk.  Ebert was a big part of the whispering campaign against BBM; I know there were many others, and that shows how hateful they are.

But, if I may go back for a while, I wish to make it known that younger men never seem to be awarded best actor awards.  Oh, they'll give it to a young female bimbo, but as far as the men go - that's a different story. You see, when I was no more than girl, in April of 1963, I saw "Lawrence of Arabia" for the first time.  (Countless times afterward).  When I saw Peter O'Toole's beautifully handsome face - well, let's say I've loved him so ever since, and he's my unrequited love.  But there's more.  Peter gave his immortal performance as LOA.  Oh, he's done many good things since, but let's face it - as David Lean said when Peter was tested and given the role - "The boy IS Lawrence".  Today it's taken for granted that Peter won for Lawrence, but alas he did not. The film naturally did as best picture of 1962 and won 7 awards in all (maybe they were smarter then?)  Anyway, Peter was only 30 yrs. old, you see, and they MUST give it to someone else.  (He was 28-30 when the film was made, so he was even younger then).  Sure, 40 yrs. later - in April 2003, after 7 nominations and no wins - they give him an "honorary" award for his "body of work".  B.S.  Then in 2007 they insulted him again by denying him best actor for his 8th nomination for "Venus".  What a  despicable, mean-spirited bunch those bums are.  Of course, it bothers him!!  But he did go on to become a legend.  Another important one - Clark Gable (another legend and immensely handsome too) - gave his immortal performance as Rhett in 1939.  GWTW swept the awards in 1940, except for Clark and Max Steiner for his beautiful score.  I read years ago that it bothered Clark for the rest of his days. 

Perhaps the above is indicative of how rotten that "academy" is now.  How insignificant it's become because of their lousy stupid choices.  Same for that damned AFI, which is so busy lowering the true classics to put inferior films above them.  Isn't it time for them to cut out those damned lists anyway?  Don't get me started on them!  I agree 100% with every word Ms. Proulx said of them. 

Well - to get back to my original point.  Heath, Jake et al.  BBM is already recognized as a great classic.  Heath's Ennis is already recognized by so many for the great performance he gave. But, like Peter, I think of Heath as giving that great performance and going on to much greatness. He was robbed of best actor, as the film was robbed of best picture, etc., etc.   It should have won everything!    

Well, that's what I've felt ever since that night in CA in 2006.  Thanks for listening.  :)
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #484 on: January 18, 2010, 11:13:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum kathy  ;D

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #485 on: January 18, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »
Kathy

A lot of us were upset too. Back in February 2007 we had a large gathering up in Bay City, Michigan to watch Brokeback Mountain instead of the Oscars.

Here's a little excerpt from the souvenir program that we made, along with a picture of the cover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet each man kills the things he loves
By each let this be heard
Some do it with a bitter look
Some with a flattering word
The coward does it with a kiss
The brave man with a sword

Some kill their love when they are young
And some when they are old
Some strangle with the hands of Lust
Some with the hands of Gold
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold

When Oscar Wilde wrote ‘The Ballad of Reading Gaol’ while imprisoned in Reading Prison for gross indecency in 1897 he could easily have been describing the world of Ennis Del Mar in ‘Brokeback Mountain’. Who hasn’t found themselves looking back at a world that could have been, only to say those saddest of words ‘if only’?

Oscar himself would become the posthumous victim of Lord Alfred Douglas (affectionately known to Wilde as ‘Boise'). Douglas would call Wilde "the greatest force for evil that has appeared in Europe during the last three hundred and fifty years." Unlike Ennis Del Mar’s feelings toward Jack Twist, Douglas would later say that he intensely regretted having met Wilde.

Had Wilde been prescient he probably would have regretted ever having met Douglas. Wilde (with Douglas’ encouragement) brought suit for libel against Douglas’ father who had called him a sodomite. In court Wilde denied that there was any substance to the allegations - and found himself on trial when several young men were brought to the stand to testify otherwise.

Have we come very far from the world Oscar lived in? In 2006 we found the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences wanted to disassociate themselves from the powerful indictment of homophobia that existed in ‘Brokeback Mountain’ - choosing instead to celebrate ‘Crash’ as the best picture of the year - a film which posits that everyone is racist. So instead of celebrating a film which argues for compassion we found the Academy casting its vote with those who would say that bigotry is part of the human condition. This snub came after a season of vile commentary - from reviewers like Gene Shalit, who called the character of Jack Twist a rapist; from Jack Cafferty on CNN who said ‘there aren't too many closet doors that are left closed in this country’ and from Tony Curtis who told Fox News that he hadn’t see it and that John Wayne wouldn’t like it. Surely these views on homosexuality fit right in to the 19th century world of Oscar Wilde.

We find ourselves in 2007 living in a world where a film about homosexuality has never won a ‘best picture’ award. Of course this has been true for a while, ‘The Color Purple’ lost out to ‘Out of Africa’ in 1986 and ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ lost to ‘Forrest Gump’ in 1995. And yet a film about a transvestite serial killer has won (‘Silence of the Lambs’ in 1992) and a film about a schizophrenic man whose homosexual encounters have been conveniently excised from his story has won (‘A Beautiful Mind’ in 2002). Actors and actresses have won for gay roles, of course - Tom Hanks for ‘Philadelphia’ and Philip Seymour Hoffman for ‘Capote’. So to take a broad view the Academy appears to be telling us that if you want to be successful in a gay film you should be dead or obvious - but don’t scare the horses by appearing to be an everyday person, please. Clearly these are views that would make perfect sense to Oscar - thinking like this made him deny his own homosexuality in court.

Gay people and their friends have been fans of the Academy Awards for a long time. It just appears that the feeling isn’t reciprocated. So perhaps it is time for us to kill the thing we loved and move on. We don’t need their Oscar - we have our own. And in his ‘De Profundis’ he says:

“. . . Suffering is one very long moment. We cannot divide it by seasons. We can only record its moods, and chronicle their return. With us time itself does not progress. It revolves. It seems to circle round one centre of pain.”

Can there be any question that he would understand the world of Ennis Del Mar?

Michael Flanagan, San Francisco

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
« Reply #486 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
 :) Hello from Kathy:  I'm trying to manage a smile, because I'm having an awful time posting.  I've deleted three msgs. already.  Forgive me for being frustrated.  I even tried to reply to the Daily Sheet Post and couldn't do it!  I'm so sad about this coming Friday being the date 2 yrs. ago when dear Heath left us.  They never even checked on him; I know in my heart he would have been saved.  Those two stupid dopes.  I keep weeping for him; I miss him.  Lonesome cowboy...

BaycityJohn:  Thank you for your welcome and the info with it.  And thanks so much to all of the members who welcomed me to the forums!  It's very kind of you.  I, like you, love BBM so much!
I agree with you 100%, John.  Society has not changed since Wilde's day.  It was hateful then, hateful in 1963 and thereafter for Ennis and Jack, and is hateful now.  I cannot understand why compassion is in such short supply.  It is an awful thing not to be with the man you love.  Ennis was so closed; Jack was open.  Remember the scene after the first reunion, they looked so happy, and Jack wanted Ennis to have a small cow and calf operation together?  Jack said "Alma and you - that's a life"- the terrible hurt look on Jack's face as Ennis defended(?) Alma and the lousy life he led?  Yet they wanted, needed, loved each other.  But they (especially Heath's Ennis) conformed to that day's society, married, had children, etc.  And all the while apart, all they did was think of each other!  In the end it ended so tragically. Their society is no different from today's, sad to say.  And so tragic for both of them.  Whatever will become of Ennis w/o Jack??  My opinion is that their love will never die and will go on in the hereafter; Ennis is completely devastated, as much as when his daddy took him to see Earl's dead body.  He'll never get over it, will feel a lot of guilt, and forever love Jack. "Jack, I swear"...".  If only we could go back...

I also must write that I definitely agree 100% with Ms. Proulx's comments about the damned AMPAS and their "heffalumps" and "red blood on the carpet".  Cowardly bums.  Oh so liberal on the outside, but as closed in as ever on the inside.  Jerks like Curtis & Borgnine bragging about never seeing BBM, Ebert with his own personal agenda praising "TRASH" to the sky, the rest of his kind, ugly and vile comments by rotten FOX news(?), and all the rest.  They are as rotten and hateful as all the other heffalumps.  I become very upset when those kind of people bring John Wayne's name in this.  John's a true legend; I love him & his films. And back in 1960, when making "The Alamo", Laurence Harvey wouldn't leave him alone, following John around and almost begging him to sleep w/him. John said "no" and that seemed to be it.  And never was a bad word mentioned about L. Harvey from John Wayne.

P.S. In my posting yesterday, I feel badly that I didn't say enough about Clark Gable. I love GWTW as much as I love LOA and Peter.  (My two co #1 favorites).  These two classic films will live forever.  Clark gave the performance of his life as Rhett; he was the King of Hollywood in its heyday and noone ever comes close to him every after.  But he was denied best actor for his role, as so many actors/actresses were in his day.  I know that BBM is a true classic too; everyone knows it. I LOVE it; and it will live forever too. And I'll do my best to never let anyone forget about the blundering injustice done to it by that rotten "academy" and its cohorts that night in CA in the year 2006. 
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
« Reply #487 on: January 20, 2010, 02:44:16 PM »
 :)  Hi Nax!  Kathy here.  Thank you very much for informing me of where "novices" like me can go to for help with questions, postings, and anything/everything else.  I will definitely be more concise with my comments too.  I guess I left the computer on by mistake and the time went by...
The messages I received from many members welcoming me made me smile, and the info from BayCity John was so interesting.  I agree so much w/him.
Bye for now - again thanks.  I am so happy to be part of this; I believe nothing has really effected me so much as BBM, Heath and Jake's superb performances, etc., etc. I love it.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #488 on: January 20, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great post. Glad you stopped by and talked "Trash". You are spot on. This year will be no differant They will ram Avatar thru. I can't stand it, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$. Love the movie but Best Picture it is not. If it weren't for the special Effect, it would have been so so..

Again thanks for the nice post.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #489 on: January 20, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
The messages I received from many members welcoming me made me smile, and the info from BayCity John was so interesting.  I agree so much w/him.

Thank you Kathy, but I just want to point out that the Oscar Wilde article was written by Michael Flanagan (michaelflanagansf)

The program cover was my idea, and I asked Michael to write something up to explain the picture.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
Something you might enjoy from them earlier days.

A message from Ang Lee that was read at the Brokeback Mountain screening in Beverly Hills in August 2008 as part of the 'Great to be Nominated' series:

Greetings from director Ang Lee, who won an Oscar for his direction of
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN...

“This is a film that was blessed even as we were making it.  It was
filled with so much love, compassion, and a benevolent spirit.  I’m very
happy that it is being shown again in the Goldwyn Theater as one to be
remembered in the Oscar “pack”.  It was great to be nominated.

By the way, does “Great to be Nominated” really mean “Should have Won?”

Anyway.  Hope you enjoy the film again.

Ang Lee – 7/24/08

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=30966.0

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
Speaking of awards, here's one that I think Forum members could just about guarantee that BBM can win.  It's Awards Daily's poll on the best love stories every filmed. Check it out and vote here:
http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=18150

Will you help spread the word to other BBM fans? We're in second place now with Eternal Sunshine ahead by only 17 votes.

There's no notice of when voting stops, so let's keep asking friends to vote until we've
knocked it out of the park!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
Thanks for posting this Lydia!

I've posted this in a few other threads, and over on BetterMost too.

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #493 on: January 20, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Thanks, Chuck. It's also in the News Box.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #494 on: January 20, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
We are only 7 votes out of the lead!  Come on people!  Jack and Ennis would want you to vote! 
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach