The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 291379 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1665 on: July 28, 2019, 11:19:21 AM »

That is so true. It would probably take our thoughts to hating "them" and not to the sorrow and angst we do feel that it happened to "Jack," and that this type of thing was/is out there for others like him.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1666 on: July 28, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
Precisely.  Lee knew how to kick us in nads with the "thoughts" paging thru Ennis's head while keeping us SO focused on was important - what Ennis was thinking and feeling at that very moment.  V

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1667 on: August 12, 2019, 05:22:35 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/jake-gyllenhaal-heath-ledger-brokeback-mountain-gay-jokes-a9021806.html

"Gyllenhaal also revealed the impact the role had on his career, revealing: “It opened tons of doors. It was crazy. It was amazing. It’s defined my career in different ways.”

But he also spoke of the film’s legacy having a far greater purpose than his own career, adding that he quickly realised that “[the film] is bigger than me… It has become not ours anymore. It’s the world’s.”

Jake's words are so true.  I definitely think that "Brokeback Mountain" helped open doorways for his acting career, something I'm sure he'll always be grateful for.

Offline colorado_jack

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1668 on: August 23, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
Jake's words are so true.  I definitely think that "Brokeback Mountain" helped open doorways for his acting career, something I'm sure he'll always be grateful for.

That is true about his career, but he also stated that if he (and Heath) knew the number of people who would see the movie, he likely would not have taken it on.  He expected the movie to only be shown in art houses for a small audience.

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:38:47 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1669 on: August 24, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »
Fate has a strange way of flipping the tables on you.  I wonder where his career would be if he had NOT taken BBM?  V.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1670 on: August 24, 2019, 06:54:41 PM »
That is true about his career, but he also stated that if he (and Heath) knew the number of people who would see the movie, he likely would not have taken it on.  He expected the movie to only be shown in art houses for a small audience.

Fate has a strange way of flipping the tables on you.  I wonder where his career would be if he had NOT taken BBM?  V.

The original plans were for the movie to be in art houses, if I'm remembering correctly.  I'm glad it ended up going wide and becoming the huge hit it was.