The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 435044 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1680 on: January 19, 2022, 03:51:30 AM »
the fact that this is still written about shows how obvious it was that BBM should've won.

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1681 on: January 19, 2022, 03:56:16 AM »

Exactly.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1682 on: January 19, 2022, 08:37:30 AM »
Amen to that.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1683 on: January 19, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
^^^ For our couple of generations in play now, "Crash" winning Best Picture over "Brokeback Mountain" will be the most "robbed" Oscar in our mind's eye of time.  I'm sure historians will debate all the causes - homophobia in Hollywood's voting elite likely being the primary followed by the lack of courage of that same set of voters. 

It's one of those rare moments in history when everyone "knew the truth!!"  How many other films got a full page "Variety" add after the raw deal?  Unheard of....!

The real measure of any film is how does it "hold up" and play "40, 50, 80" years from it's release date.  Will those audiences even understand why it was controversial?   Will it still "move them" as it did many here? 

I sure hope the context and reasons why will need to be explained because of real advancements in equality, humanity, love - for everyone - especially our LGBTQIA.   V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1684 on: January 20, 2022, 11:56:09 AM »
It's one of those rare moments in history when everyone "knew the truth!!"

That's why it was painful. If there had been another movie sweeping an equal, or nearly equal, amount of attention for Best Picture prizes that year it could have been thought of as just a preferential choice etc., but all of the gauges of what might win Best Picture at that time* pointed directly to Brokeback Mountain right from the start of awards season. On top of that you had several vocal AMPAS voters disparaging it in subtle (and some not so subtle) ways and even refusing to see it. Something that you'd almost never see. And the eventual choice was an afterthought at the start. It had been released seven months earlier and early award groups had ignored it as such. Even the early Golden Globe nominations didn't nominate it in their Best Picture category and no Oscar Best Picture winner had ever won before without not having been nominated by the Globes in either of their Best Picture categories (Drama or Comedy/Musical) before, except for The Sting, and that was because the Globe members couldn't agree as to which category to put it in. (According to info I read back in the day on the Globes website.)

*I should point out that since the advent of the nomination of 10 films for Best Picture at AMPAS in 2009, and the weighted ballot voting rules for that category, that what wins and the ways to determine the ultimate choice for Best Picture by prognosticators has altered since then. Not to mention the influence of social media and online websites that put the spotlight on film awards nearly year 'round now, causing large segments of people to over-amplify everything about that subject and another large segment of the population to have become completely disinterested in the Oscars and movie awards in general. Not to mention the virtue signaling going on in Hollywood with the importance of "who" is making the films in front of and behind the camera, more important than if the films are any good. But that's a whole other discussion.

Which brings us back to 2005/6 when:

It's one of those rare moments in history when everyone "knew the truth!!"

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1685 on: June 01, 2022, 02:01:28 PM »

AMPAS wants our "Pride" Money.

I'm on the AMPAS Museum's email list and today I got an email titled:
The Oscars Pride Collection Is Here.

PRIDE

Show your PRIDE with this collection of unique products that highlight the LGBTQIA+ community's contribution to film and movie making. 
Some of the items in this collection were created together with Los Angeles based artist POKETO and are available exclusively at the Academy Museum Store.

New Arrival: Brokeback Mountain Movie Poster

Each poster is an official reprint of the original artwork that was displayed in movie theater lobbies when the film was first released. The perfect piece of Hollywood for the flim enthusiast or the serious cinephile. Take home your favorite movie poster today.

I just don't think I could buy something Brokeback Mountain related from the AMPAS museum.

However:
They have many other offerings related to LGBT artists, some CMBYN items, film books, t-shirts, hats, pins, Pride notebooks with the Oscar logo, postcards and such. Check it out:
https://academymuseumstore.org/collections/pride

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1686 on: June 20, 2022, 11:29:51 AM »

LITTLE GOLD MEN
The Best Picture Loser That Broke Our Hearts
In this week’s Little Gold Men podcast, a look back at Brokeback Mountain, whose Oscar loss did nothing to diminish its legacy.
by Vanity Fair | July 1, 2021

If I had seen this article before I would have put it here. I know I didn't because there were 0 posts in this thread in 2021!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/07/awards-insider-little-gold-men-brokeback-mountain-flashback

I found it because it was linked in today's TDS article:

Brokeback Mountain: Looking Back at the Groundbreaking LGBTQ+ Movie
Brokeback Mountain was a mainstream LGBTQ+ movie from the 2000s that, in many ways, helped to carve out the queer cinema landscape that exists today.
by Jessica Brajer

The Vanity Fair link is a several paragraph introduction for a podcast about the subject (which I haven't listened to yet). It's linked there.

The first paragraphs are:

If you’re an Oscar obsessive, there are certain phrases or even intonations that stick in your mind forever—Jane Fonda’s pregnant pause before announcing Parasite had won best picture, Adele Dazeem, “You like me, right now, you like me!” But few of them may conjure the kind of disappointment and rage as the memory of Jack Nicholson, opening the best picture envelope and saying “….Crash?”

For months, most people thought the 2006 Oscars would end with a history-making win for Brokeback Mountain—the story of two cowboys struggling with their love for each other that marked a landmark for queer representation onscreen, particularly in the fraught Bush era. Though Ang Lee won best director, and Brokeback Mountain took home two more Oscars to boot, the best picture loss—and the speculation about homophobia within the Academy membership— still stung, and suggested Hollywood might not be as willing to embrace gay people as they would have liked to think.

But more than 15 years since those shocking Oscars, it’s abundantly clear which film has the stronger legacy...

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1687 on: June 20, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »
And the director of the winning movie is in trouble in Italy. Somehow fitting. At least they're straight.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-06-19/paul-haggis-arrested-sexual-assault-case-italy-crash#

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1688 on: June 20, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »
Holy crap, Fritz! To paraphrase a line from his film, "I guess he just wanted to feel something."  However, I'm not going to participate in talking about his misfortune, self-inflicted though it may be. It speaks for itself, I guess.
______

Interestingly after that article in the link you posted Fritz, is a link to a 2014 article that says:
Paul Haggis Drops Lawsuit Against Woman Who Says He Raped Her

!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 12:32:48 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1689 on: June 20, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »
The TDS article I linked in my post above, has this:

While promoting his role in the new Elvis biopic, the  [Hanks] spoke to The New York Times  about the 1993 drama film and he said that contemporary audiences would not find it authentic for a straight man to play a gay character:

Let’s address ‘could a straight man do what I did in ‘Philadelphia’ now?' No, and rightly so. The whole point of ‘Philadelphia’ was don’t be afraid. One of the reasons people weren’t afraid of that movie is that I was playing a gay man. We’re beyond that now, and I don’t think people would accept the inauthenticity of a straight guy playing a gay guy.

___

Actors have to be careful now with social media spotlights on them. However, I think what Hanks said is bullshit. (I like Hanks, by the way, so..)

First of all, I don't know if I've ever read much conversation on this forum devoted to all things Brokeback that the casting of the film was negative. In any way.

I mean, Elton John himself approved the casting of Taron Egerton in Rocketman and I've never heard anything about Taron being gay.

I think nowadays saying that authenticity in casting should be paramount is not understanding what actors do. Acting is not authenticity in itself.

--acting
definition; Merriam-Webster
the art or practice of representing a character on a stage or before cameras

Too many people nowadays confuse acting with being. And, by the way, where does "authenticity" in casting begin and end? Should Americans play Americans? That would leave out at least half the film actors nowadays who are from Canada, Britain and Australia. By definition then, only Elvis should be playing Elvis in Tom Hanks' new movie.

The trope used for writers all the time is "write what you know". I recall a famous writer on Charlie Rose one night (although I can't remember who it was!) quite disagreeing with that overused sentiment. He said one should write what you want to know. I so agree with that. He meant that the discovery process is what gives art life and interest. I believe that. Actors who want to discover why any particular character is who they are and does what they do and inhabit this person is quite different than already being what you're playing. There's no discovery there and it's inherently less interesting. Annie Proulx, for example, was inspired by a man she observed in a bar and wondering if he was gay and what this life would be or was like. Two of the most popular stories written about gay men were written by women. Annie Proulx and Patricia Nell Warren. Some of the best movies about America were made by emigres from eastern Europe. Authors have said one of the best novels about war experiences was written by a man who had never set foot on a battlefield, Stephen Crane's the Red Badge of Courage. Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in World War II played himself in an autobiographical movie, to less than stellar reviews. Jerry Seinfeld never won an Emmy for playing himself on Seinfeld! He joked about that on the Emmys one time.

And if this idea about authenticity is to be accepted, why isn't historical accuracy accepted? That new show on Broadway titled SIX, about Henry the VIII's wives...if it's to be believed, all of his wives were black or Asian.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1690 on: June 24, 2022, 03:41:05 PM »

Forgive and forget?

Inside the Academy's First Pride Parade
'Everyone Loved Oscar — He Was the Belle of the Ball!'

https://aframe.oscars.org/news/post/academy-pride-lgbtq-coalition-march-first-pride-parade

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1691 on: August 26, 2022, 11:08:00 AM »

Be interested in anyone's comments.
A new youtube video posted 8/23/22.

Crash Defeats Brokeback Mountain | Best Picture Oscar 2006
In 2006, Brokeback Mountain was the frontrunner to win the Oscar for Best Picture, but then Crash took the prize in a major upset. In this video, I break down that year's competitive Best Picture race and discuss the reasons why Crash defeated Brokeback Mountain for the award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUo4sn-l6hM

I was not familiar with this person's postings. Brian Rowe's youtube channel includes a lot of Oscar related topics and discussions along with other film and actor spotlights. In fact, he has one, posted this past June, titled:

Jake Gyllenhaal and the Elusive Oscar | Why He's Never Won
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLb3lxHftaI

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1692 on: December 08, 2022, 08:32:36 PM »
^^^ Finally watched the "Crash Defeats Brokeback Mountain" YT analysis and the 5 reasons the author states, I agree with.  The top two of those in my book were the relentless campaign by Lionsgate to promote the film with DVDs to anyone who could breathe, special screenings etc.. and 2nd the rampant homophobia in Hollywood's then elite and again voting members.   V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1693 on: December 09, 2022, 10:37:52 AM »
^^^

Vincent it was interesting to watch that video because the tone of it was dispassionate, the tone was quite rational and impartial, even though he thinks BBM should've won.

I agree with you about the top two reasons, but I'd reverse them. I think the homophobia was the #1 reason. If there had been a really strong either/or contender for Best Picture that year I might put it lower, but there wasn't. All awards season all across the country that year it was Brokeback Mountain and then everything else. And Crash had come out months earlier with no talk or buzz about it being a Best Picture contender...until...they were specifically looking for something else.

It rankles me still.

But 17 years later, Ang Lee's gone on to win another Oscar. Brokeback Mountain has been put in the United States National Film Registry. Crash? It's looked upon as an AMPAS usurper. The director of it? -- Paul Haggis Found Liable on All Counts in Civil Rape Trial |Nov 10, 2022 |
https://variety.com/2022/news-1235429193/

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1694 on: December 09, 2022, 06:00:10 PM »
^^^^ Yeap!  I agree, it could go either way on 1/2, 2/1.  On the + view, "Brokeback Mountain" "losing" to wannabe "Crash" is blessing.  Why? Because the loss is already one of THE "forever Academy references" where more people than not KNOW it was an AMPAS FUBAR - where the then voting members clearly, got it wrong.   BBM has been listed so many times with several other films as being "robbed..." Though the others were for very different reasons...  V. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:30:13 AM by gattaca »