The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Awards Aftermath - Part 2  (Read 435134 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Awards Aftermath - Part 2
« Reply #1695 on: December 10, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »

Yes, and this forum would probably not be here if not for that.

So, the question is: If you could change things, would you rather it have won?

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1696 on: December 10, 2022, 11:00:08 AM »
Possibly, but if I could go back to 1970 and make it so that I wasn't drafted then, I probably would have wanted that at the time.

But my life would have been unrecognizably different had that happened.

So perhaps it's best that what happened, happened, in some, strange, unfathomable way.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1697 on: December 10, 2022, 11:44:36 AM »
^^^^ No - while many forum members were _quite POed_ at the loss (me included), that loss focused our anger and resolve to:

a) publish a book,
b) take out an full-page ad in "Variety" which was unheard of at the time,
c) project and deliver Proulx's book and DVD campaign into local libraries all over the USA.
d) Schedule and attend many "Brokie" events like the ones in Chicago, Hollywood
e) Attend "Brokie" gatherings internationally.
f) Become friends with many members here
g) .... and many more.

Glancing back in the rear-view mirror is always just a glance.  Whether we act on what is see is always forward.   ;)   V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1698 on: January 31, 2023, 01:16:46 PM »
Does anyone know for sure if any of the Brokeback Mountain filmmakers went to the Governor's Ball held after the Oscar Ceremony? If so it was after disappointment of the Best Picture result and wouldn't have been as festive, I would think.

I recently saw the Governor's Ball program and menu for that year. I thought I'd post some pages from it.

The Cover and Page 1:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1699 on: January 31, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »

Pages 2-3:

Interestingly, Jake Gyllenhall's name is on page 2 (but look who he's next to). Every other name of a person from Brokeback Mountain that was nominated in the 8 categories--their names are all on page 3. (Heath and Ang are the first names on page 3.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1700 on: January 31, 2023, 01:18:21 PM »

What did they eat?

Pages 4-5:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1701 on: January 31, 2023, 01:18:37 PM »

Page 9 and Back Cover:

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1702 on: January 31, 2023, 01:36:57 PM »
Interestingly, Jake Gyllenhall's name is on page 2 (but look who he's next to). Every other name of a person from Brokeback Mountain that was nominated in the 8 categories--their names are all on page 3. (Heath and Ang are the first names on page 3.)

Geez.  What are the chances?

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1703 on: January 31, 2023, 06:08:24 PM »
^^^^ y frakking believable!! 

Offline mixmovart

• Experienced
« Reply #1704 on: October 22, 2023, 05:14:32 AM »
This is my first message on the forum and I'm still figuring out whether I chose the right topic. Please forgive any mistakes, but English is not my native language.
I read the theme of that same ill-fated Oscar and it was as if I had visited the past... As if I was a person from the future looking into the past. So what did I see? All predictions came true.
Crash is seen as nothing less than Oscar's greatest injustice and mistake. Shame on Oscar, Brokeback Mountain has long become a classic that will be studied even in directing courses. Not to mention the impact on everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, country, faith and everything else. If you have a heart, you will never forget this movie...
In a couple of years, the Oscar will come to Heath Ledger, but... will it matter? Despite the brilliant role of the Joker, this Oscar looked like a handout for stolen goods, like the “academics” were trying to make amends or just pay off? Many years from now, another actor will be honored for his role as the Joker, and prizes will be quickly handed out to him, as if to let us know that Heath is not the only genius. I see it like this and I can't do anything. I don't believe it, and I wasn't moved by this actor's speech. I just don't believe it. I apologize if I offended anyone. This is just my opinion. But I always try to tell the truth, exactly what I think
It was as if I was reliving that night at the Oscars, this injustice that still hurts even after all these years. Yes, there will be wins and nominations for other films on the topic. Sorry, but this is so hard to watch... Why? Because it's not Brokeback Mountain and because Heath isn't with us. But because no mistakes in life can be corrected. Especially when the person is already dead...

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #1705 on: October 22, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »
^^ Welcome to the forum.  Many of current and former member feel strongly as you do about the snubbing by the Academy members.  Everyone knew then and knows now BBM should have gotten "Best Picture".  However, and this is just my opinion, I've always felt there was enough rampant homophobia in the membership that the "old" guard still had enough votes to "get their way" and that's what happened.  "Crash" never, ever deserved the award but in a strange way, this moment in time will now be forever etched into the lens of history for what it really was.   That's always been my comfort.   V. 

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1706 on: October 22, 2023, 08:12:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mixmovart!

Thanks for taking the time to read that thread, and then post about it here!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1707 on: October 22, 2023, 10:51:14 AM »
Hey Mixmovart! Fritz from Arlington VA USA.

In many ways the fact that BBM did not win the best picture keeps us and the rest of the industry talking about it and noting the injustice. In the long run it may have been for the best.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1708 on: October 22, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »

Hi Mixmovart!  Thanks for your heartfelt words. This was exactly the right place for this post.

Offline mixmovart

• Experienced
« Reply #1709 on: October 22, 2023, 06:12:34 PM »
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I will try to understand the topics and regularly speak out on forum topics :D