The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet, Dec 19 through Dec 31, 2007  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
The Daily Sheet, Dec 19 through Dec 31, 2007
« on: December 19, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Jake’s New Project Brothers Currently Filming

Filming on Brothers has started in the Los Alamos area of New Mexico.  To discuss Brothers and related celeb information, go to our new Forum thread
Brothers 2009:  Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey McGuire.

Tobey & Jake

Thanks to Adrian for posting this picture of Tobey McGuire and Jake Gyllenhaal.  They look like brothers, don’t they?

Expose’ on Christian Sexual Re-Orientation Therapy

jeff hanna writes: Here's a very interesting, and disturbing article about the ex-gay movement (although you've heard much of this before, there are many startling anecdotes). The aggressive, wide-reaching obsession with the "evil" of homosexuality by evangelical Christian groups is eye-opening…Jesus would weep.

Excerpt from the article:

“Ex-gay ministries began as redoubts for men and women trying to reconcile their faith and sexuality. But in the hands of the anti-gay Christian Right, they have become full-fledged propaganda machines depicting gays as sex-addicted, mentally ill, and stunted heterosexuals…Most of the people who run ex-gay ministries are not hatemongers and see their activities as a labor of love and compassion. ‘[They're] sincere, well-meaning people who are not in it for the money,’ says Toscano. But in recent years, the ex-gay movement has been co-opted by virulently anti-gay groups who routinely refer to homosexuality as an evil force that threatens to destroy America. These groups increasingly are hiring ex-gay activists as spokesmen, funding ex-gay research and establishing ex-gay ministries.”

The article is titled Christian “Ex-Gays” Brainwash Thousands by Casey Sanchez.

Evangelicals for Huckabee
by BayCityJohn

Huckabee told a gathering of Christian S.C. conservatives recently that he had the toughest position against gay marriage of any Republican candidate.

“Unless Moses comes down with two stone tablets from Brokeback Mountain to tell us something different, we need to keep that understanding of (heterosexual) marriage,” he said, referring to the movie about two gay cowboys.

The audience loved it.

“That comment is worth 10,000 votes in South Carolina,” remarked Clemson University political scientist Dave Woodard. “Every time he speaks to these social conservatives, he peels the paint off the wall with his comments.”

Read more at Thestate.com

Catholic Bishop declares support for Gays a mortal sin

Killian Meloy wrote for Edge Boston:

"Last month, Coadjutor Archbishop John Nienstedt, an official in the Catholic church who is scheduled to assume the post of Archbishop in St. Paul, Minn., wrote an article in a Catholic newspaper saying that parents of gays and lesbians "formally cooperate in a grave evil" by accepting the same-sex partners of their offspring.

The article elicited cries of protest at the time; on Dec. 2, it also brought about a protest of a more visible sort, when over 300 people staged a protest and "die-in" at the Cathedral of St. Paul, reports the Dec. 14 edition of the National Catholic Reporter"

Finding Brokeback’s Deleted Scenes:  Can you see Jack as Hippie?
From FindingBrokeback.com

Jack and Ennis leave the rescued hippies
In this, the sixth in a series of articles addressing Brokeback Mountain’s deleted scenes, we feature the Hippie Departure Scene in which the men leave the hippies they rescued earlier.

In an exchange that capably reflects the story’s character development, Jack, evidencing a mind open to remote possibilities, says, “Hell, I guess I could a been a hippie.  If I’d had more education.”  Ennis, who seems eager to adopt as many of society’s prejudices as possible, replies “I don’t like damn hippies. Un-American if you ask me.”  Then, after one last lame joke from Jack, the entire hippie episode is over (mercifully).

What makes the hippie sequence so dreadful?  Is it that we cannot imagine a van of giggling hippies driving through the mountains of Wyoming?  Or is it that Lureen and Cassie do a fine job of convincing the viewer that heterosexual sex is freely available to the men?  No, above all, the hippie story is so larded with silly puns and innuendo that it simply does not belong in a serious film about sex.

You can learn more about all the deleted scenes at our website.

Next time:  Ennis rejects an expensive present.

As always, for Brokeback production and travel information, visit FindingBrokeback.com

The 12 Days of Christmas FanFiction Challenge
By Smilesalot, Montana_Crows, and Fizzerbass

Review by Stilllearning

A delightful Christmas present to us all!  Three authors, counting down the 12 Days of Christmas, with 12 Jack & Ennis one-shots, each with a veiled reference to one of the gifts from the 12 Days of Christmas song – and our job as readers is to figure out where, in each of the stories, the reference to one of the gifts lies – could it be two turtle doves in this story? 10 Lords a leaping in that one? 5 golden rings worked into another?  And veiled references they are, as one can thoroughly enjoy each of the stories without realizing to which of the Days of Christmas, the story gives a nod. And to make it even more fun, the person who is successful in this challenge, will get a very special story written in their honor!

NS enjoying the snowball
fight with the Twist men.
For this Christmas challenge, Smilesalot, Montana_Crows and Fizzerbass, take turns writing about Ennis and Jack within 2 established settings, or universes.  We visit the Twist/Del Mar household in the NS (Ennis) universe where the men, together with three year old Bobby, are a family with all the challenges and comedic twists and turns that defines the lives of a couple with a young child.

“Jack tilts his head back, drawing in a breath when Ennis licks his throat and starts to blindly unbutton the cowboy’s
    shirt. ‘Says the man hidin a saddle in the hay loft for a boy who ain’t even got a horse.’
Ennis sits up and slips his shirt off, unbuckling his belt so he can pop the button on his jeans. ‘Gotta save somethin for his birthday.’ He works at Jack’s belt, eager to get at what’s hidin in the Twist barn.

‘NS? Why you got your shirt off? Ain’t you cold?’

Bobby wanders in, rubbing sleepy eyes as Ennis flies off Jack and back onto the couch. Jack sits up, holding his arms open for his son to walk into.
This 12 Days of Christmas challenge also takes place with one-shots within the Beans and Crazies universe, where we get a vividly realistic view of what Jack and Ennis’s life would likely have been like - running a local cattle farm, and living together in rural Montana. In Beans and Crazies, Jack and Ennis, having stayed together after coming down off of the mountain, are men who work hard, and play hard as they give themselves over to love and lust, in a rough and tumble, men-will-be-men kind of way. As with each one-shot in this challenge, a gift "that my true love gave to me" is represented in each story, hidden and waiting to be uncovered by our estute readers.

Beans & Crazies Cattle Farm

“Ennis.”

Got a grunt in response but no eye contact. He reverted back to the old stand-by for catching a cowboy’s attention; he reached out with lightning speed and snatched Ennis’ hat off his head.

“Ain’t got time ta play, Jack!” yelled Ennis, hot on his heels, nevertheless.

Jack didn’t bother replying, just waited for the right moment to get caught. Soon as they were in the bunkhouse, Ennis snagged one of his belt loops and was tossing him down. Jack was no lightweight, but it felt good to get thrown; he landed on his back with a satisfying thud, the weight of his man on top.

“Son of a bitch, show me what you got.” Rolling over and taking turns grinding down on the other…..Using knees and feet to gain purchase, Jack grimaced when an elbow hit his stomach. Gonna leave a bruise for sure. Reminded him he wanted bruises in other places, too, so he wrapped his legs around Ennis’ waist…….

Ennis’ upper body softened at that, dissolving from warrior to lover. Ennis’ lower body also responded in kind, hardening as hips flexed and molded into each other.
So are you up for the 12 Days of Christmas fanfiction challenge?  If so, you’ll find each of the stories HERE. Read each story and decipher which gift from the 12 Days of Christmas is alluded to in that story – the 8th day, with eight maids a milking?  The 12th day, with twelve drummers drumming?  You be the judge, and if you get them all right, a story will be written for you!

The greatest gift of all, though, is that we have author and friend Montana_Crows back with us after serving her country on active duty in the Middle East.  We’re so happy you’re back safe and sound Montana_crows!

Shopping IQ:  Share your last minute gift ideas

neatfreak offers this suggestion for the person who has everything, but also wants it in plush:

These dolls can be ordered at the Giant Microbe website.

Lyle (Mooska) wrote with some great suggestions from Amazon:

Covering the New Yorker: Cutting-Edge Covers from a Literary Institution
by Francoise Mouly, Lawrence Weschler

According to user reviews, this volume supplements an earlier volume, and carries on with covers from the 1990’s.

Or, if your favorite part of the New Yorker is the cartoons, how about a desk calendar for 2008?  Also available from Amazon.

And for fans of Ken Burns documentary this fall, THE WAR, Lyle recommends two books of WWII images called:

AT EASE: Navy Men of World War II
by Evan Bachner, 2004

MEN OF WWII:  Fighting Men At Ease
by Evan Bachner, 2007

Lyle wrote:  The author's father participated in the war and Evan became interested in the more mundane photos of daily life that he found taken by famous photographers like Edward Steichen.  He assembled the photos into two books, the first in 2004 and the sequel this fall.

Evan is gay as referenced in the first volume that says he lives in NYC with his life partner.  The second volume refers to him as his husband.  The books definitely appeal to a gay sensibility and has been marketed to the gay community.  Some reviewers on Amazon have taken exception to the books as though there are some covert or underhanded motives to them.  But all the photos were taken in WWII and by famous photographers.  The fact that we like to look at them should be celebrated, I think!

And, if anyone is interested in the gay experience of WWII, which you will NOT see in Ken Burns wonderful film, there is a brilliant and award winning book about the subject called:

COMING OUT UNDER FIRE:  The History of Gay Men and Women in World War Two, by Allan Berube.

I highly recommend that book--very readable, full of fascinating information and stories and detailed footnotes.

Remember all shopping linked through our Forum’s Amazon collection will benefit the forum.

New Schedule for The Daily Sheet:  TDS will now be posted on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  Profiles will continue on the weekends. 

We have an opening for a new volunteer editor.  If you have questions please PM tellyouwhat, stilllearning, or KittyHawk.

Zodiac has been nominated for film of the year
by the 2007London Critics Circle Film Awards.

London Critics Circle also nominated Maggie Gyllenhaal  for best actress, in Sherry Baby.

2007 Golden Globes nominated Lust, Caution for best Foreign Language Film.

Quote of the day

A fanatic is one who can't change his opinion and won't change the subject. ~ Winston Churchill.

Photocap of the Day
By iwishiknew

For all those of us celebrating our anniversary this month of having climbed the Mountain the first time in December 2005.
I went to a matinee in early December expecting to see 3 or 4 other people perhaps. There weren't 3 or 4 empty seats! 

Heath: I just read the experts are saying we'll be lucky to sell a hundred tickets to this movie.

Ang: Last week they said fifty. Including Jake's family. Things are looking up.

All the way to record-breaking attendance for an indie movie is all.
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, 2005 - To Forever!

Contributors:  Adrian, lawgoddess, Lyle (Mooska), neatfreak, jeff hanna, Jim Bond, Stilllearning, iwishiknew, BayCityJohn, Oregondoggie

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

June 20 - 22nd - Oxford 08. 
Brokies in the UK

BBQ: Wyoming Roundup
June 1-7, 2008.

Brokeback Mountain Screening in LA - Summer 2008
Date to be determined

Let us know of any events you'd like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Editors: Ellen (tellyouwhat), Dawn (Stilllearning)

Columnists: Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, planetgal471, MadLori, Marge_Innavera

Proofreader/Researchers: whiplash, gnash, denim girl

Today's edition produced by Ellen (tellyouwhat) email: Ellen@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by denim girl

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.
When a new TDS is posted, you will be notified by email.

Previous issues of The Daily Sheet.

Response thread for The Daily Sheet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:37:25 PM by BrokenOkie »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
The Daily Sheet, Dec 19 through Dec 31
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:12:14 AM »

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Profile: Trekfan

The wild pony run at Assateague/Chincotegue Islands

I am living in Virginia but I am a native New Yorker born and bred on Long Island. It’s a shame I’m not still in NY since both Jake and Heath spend some time there. Hmmm I wonder if that’s why, cause I’m down here now. <BG>

I first discovered Brokeback Mountain quite by accident while watching a Saturday Night Live parody and then saw the movie for the first time when it came out on DVD and I cried afterwards and couldn’t sleep.

I’ve gotten so much out of the experience, not the least of which is the incredible friendships I have made.

I hope to get to see Wyoming and Alberta Canada one day.

I wanted to fix what I couldn't stand after watching BBM  so I began writing fanfiction and I have enjoyed the process very much, my stories can be found HERE.

Are you a morning person or night owl, peace-maker or comfortable with confrontation, more of a sun-bather or rock-climber, life -of-the-party or desiring a quiet cup of coffee with a few friends?
I am definitely a night-owl and I’d have to say I am a peacemaker, I hate confrontation. I am the type of person who loves a quiet cup of cocoa (I can’t drink coffee) with a few friends.

Currently listening to?
At Last by Etta James. It’s a BBM  Music vid that I think fits the guys to a T.

Currently reading? 
"Fish: Memoir of a Boy in a Man’s Prison," by JT Parsell.  A BBM  fanfic author recommended it, she based a story (in part) on it,  she is still writing this novel. And it is an intense inside look at prison. I’ve read it a few times already.

Your perfect day?
A perfect day for me is spending it with nature. I was at a BBM  fan gathering and we ended up at the beach and at Assateague Island to see the wild ponies there and to me it felt like Heaven. Makes me understand how much Jack and Ennis enjoyed their time in the mountains.

What’s your indulgence?
That’s easy, CHOCOLATE! Is there any other kind of indulgence :D

If you could take a class on something that interests you, what would it be and why?
Art class, I used to do some drawing in school but then as I got older, I turned to other things and now I feel like maybe I missed an opportunity.

If you were able to re-do something in your life and do it differently, what would it be and why?
I’d go to college and would have also taken the opportunity to move to Atlanta GA 20 years ago. But this is, unfortunately, one of those 20/20 decisions that we look back on and kick ourselves for.

Other than BBM, what movie has impacted you the most? Why?
I would have to say Jimmy Stewart’s "It’s a Wonderful Life," it is an exploration of the human condition. How to believe in yourself and how important each life is. And that we should never try to throw it away.

What's one thing that you just can't stand, so you're trying to help fix it?
Bigotry, I’ve had to experience anti-Semitism from time to time. I think people should be judged on what a person is on the inside and not by their color, religion or sexual orientation. 

What do you know for sure?
That sometimes bad things happen to good people, but that doesn’t mean that all of us should stop striving to look for the good in everyone and to try to be the best person you can be.

What brought you to the Forum?
After seeing BBM I knew there was a fandom out there and I had heard people talking about the Dave Cullen forum and I decided to join in.

Are you more like Jack or Ennis? Why?
I’d like to say I am a little bit of both but if I had to chose one, I’d say I am more of an Ennis. I am more introverted and it takes me time to make close friends.

Your favorite threads?
I love Lashers, Planet Heath and my FAVE is the Photo capsThey crack me up!

Your favorite BBM scene?
There are several BBM scenes that I like. But my fave is the Dozy Embrace.

What was your take-away message from BBM? What affected you the most?
That love should be cherished in its many forms and no one should be denied the opportunity to live their lives as it was meant to be. To love who their hearts chose to love.  Ennis and Jack deserved a sweet life together and because of fear and society they never were able to truly live their lives. And it all ended tragically for both men.

Celebrating Christmas
on the Merry Christmas Thread

Relma/Rei-g's miniature tree

Boris's festive flower

Killersmom's brilliant tree

Richchan's candy cane horses

gnash's Winter Scene

mcnell1120's Cowboy bear

MaineGirl's snowflakes

Click on images to enlarge

Gay TV Characters, Increased Visibility

Based on the theme “Because Visibility Matters” Michael Jensen of AfterElton details their 2007 Visibility Awards for gay TV characters this season:

Man of the year - Silvio Horta - television producer and writer of Ugly Betty. “ Horta's show is one of network television’s few bright spots for gay visibility and Ugly Betty’s message – one of tolerance for everyone whether they be gay, straight, transgender, old, overweight, or, of course, badly dressed – is one that especially speaks to the gay community.”

Best Scripted Network Series Featuring a Regular Gay Character:
Ugly Betty (ABC) – where this season we meet Marc’s homophobic mother and see him develop a love interest with a man who “further broadened the diversity of gay men we see on our televisions.”

Honorable Mention:
Brothers & Sisters (ABC) although soap opera-ish, this show will likely established the first gay love triangle on network television.

Best Scripted Cable Series Featuring a Regular Gay Character:
Greek (ABC Family) is described as having the "single best gay teen character on cable this year - Calvin, one of the few gay African-American characters on TV, who’s also a jock."

Honorable Mention:
Torchwood, (BBC America) “featured several same-sex pairings as well as one of the most unabashedly romantic same-sex scenes ever shown on American television.”

Best Gay Couple:
Luke Snyder and Noah Mayer, of As The World Turns. “Luke’s coming out story was well-done and truly broke new ground, as did the history making kiss between Luke and Noah, the first between two men on daytime television.”

2007 Films to Watch For

Two documentary films recommended by gnash, should be available on DVD soon:

Chris & Don: A Love Story, is a documentary directed by Guido Santi, portraying the 30 year relationship between British writer Christopher Isherwood, whose The Berlin Stories inspired Cabaret, and American portrait artist Don Bachardy, says the Alternative Film Guide.

Kirk Honeycutt of the Hollywood reporter says, "Chris & Don: A Love Story has all the undercurrents of art, social class, sexual orientation, challenging relationships and, most especially, the touching love story at the heart of their film. Bottom Line: A poignant, thoughtful docu about the extraordinary partnership of Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy."

Hollywood Chinese is a “captivating revelation on a little-known chapter of cinema: the Chinese in American feature films. From the first Chinese-American film produced in 1916, to Ang Lee’s triumphant Brokeback Mountain almost a century later, Hollywood Chinese brings together a fascinating portrait of actors, directors, writers, and iconic images to show how the Chinese have been imagined in movies, and how filmmakers have and continue to navigate an industry that was often ignorant about race, but at times paradoxically receptive”, as reported by Deep Focus Productions.Hollywood Chinese is punctuated with a dazzling treasure trove of clips from over 90 movies, dating from 1890s paper prints up to the current new wave of Asian American cinema.”

The Lighter Side Of Christmas

Shopping IQ:  Share your gift ideas

Holiday Bonus Burning a Whole in Your Pocket?

Here's some ideas to consider

Digital Photo Frame $149.99

Portable GPS System $189.88

Canon PowerShot SD 1000 $174.94

The Daily Sheet Team Wishes Everyone a Very HAPPY and HEALTHY Holiday Season.

Forum News

But there's no need to keep this news quiet!

Michaelflanagansf has agreed to accept the invitation to become our Forum Librarian. Keep a look out for more from Michael on this front.

And a big THANK YOU to BrokenOkie and Tellyouwhat who are now moderating the Books, Periodicals & Literature thread.

Forum Post of the Day

From Jake's Eyelashes by rnmina & Arethusa33, celebrating Jake's 27th Birthday, on Dec.19th!

I got my wish...sending up a prayer of thanks... for a wonderful Jake pic.

Jake!!

Quote of the Day

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.

~ George Burns ~

Photo Caption of the Day

From Photo Captioning Fun 3
By gnash

jack 'rawhide' twist: i wish i knew how to bite you!

ennis del bark: then why don't you? it's cuzza you jack, that i'm like this. i can't sit, or roll over!

Contributors: Killersmom, Richchan, Relma/Rei-g, mcnell1120, Boris,
gnash, Trekfan, KittyHawk, rnmina, Arethusa33, MaineGirl

Calendar of Events

Brokies in the UK

June 1-7, 2008.

Date to be determined

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum

Today's edition produced by Dawn (Stilllearning) email: Dawn@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, press the "Notify" button at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 08:04:22 AM by Stilllearning »

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day on the Forum

In the aftermath of the holiday tsunami, members are finding comfort among friends in The Brokeback Mountain Lovesick Diet Thread, The Pets Thread and Pets Pics, Collectibles Corner, and don’t forget, Sports.  During the next week, I (tellyouwhat) hope to catch up on a few New Yorker magazines, so I can return to one of my favorites, The New Yorker Discussion.

Post of the Day

Milomorris posted in Deep Thoughts and Poems:

Being a professional singer, this time of year means that I do plenty of running around to take advantage of the opportunities to sing for
pay. There are parties, concerts, caroling through streets and malls, and of course church services. It can easily become drudgery, and feel too much like work--you know: “another day, another dollar.” And that feeling can creep in and sometimes take the joy out of the season and spoil Christmas. It even happens to me sometimes, but I try to stay connected to the messages and sentiments of the text and music that I sing. There is a great deal of meaning to be found in Christmas music.

There is one number that sticks out from among the stack of music that I have to sing this Christmas. From the very first time I sang through it, I thought of Ennis spending that first Christmas alone after Jack had left this world. I also thought about the amazing comfort that having faith can offer in a time of sadness and pain. Below are the lyrics and a link to video of the song being performed by a college choir.

CAROL OF JOY

(Hear it on youtube)

Lyrics by Eileen Berry
Music by Dan Forrest

Green leaves are fallen, withered and dry;
Brief sunset fading, dim winter sky;
Lengthening shadows, dark closing in;
Then through the stillness, carols begin.

O fallen world, to you is the song!
Death holds you fast, and night tarries long.
Jesus is born, your curse to destroy;
Sweet to your ears, a carol of joy!

Pale moon ascending, solemn and slow;
Cold, barren hillside shrouded in snow.
Deep empty valley, veiled by the night;
Hear angel music,
Hear angels hopeful and bright.

O fearful world, to you is the song!
Peace with your God, and pardon for wrong.
Tidings for sinners, burdened and bound,
A carol of joy, a Savior is found!

Earth wrapped in sorrow, lift up your eyes,
Thrill to the chorus filling the skies.
Look up sad-hearted!
Witness God’s love;
Join in the carol swelling above!

O friendless world, to you is the song!
All heaven’s joy to you may belong!
You who are lonely, laden, forlorn;
O fallen world,
O fearful world,
O friendless world,
Now unto you a Savior is born!

Wishing you all a joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year!!

Milo

Librarian’s Corner:  Winter Solstice

By michaelflanagansf

On December 25th, it  is the festival of the unconquered Sun.  It celebrates the return of warmth and light to the Northern Hemisphere.  In that spirit I wish all here 'Felix Dies Natalis Solis Invicti' or Happy Birthday of the Unconquered Sun!  In whatever tradition you choose to celebrate I wish you joy, light, warmth and productivity in the new year!!!

On the Winter Solstice at the Newgrange passage tomb in Ireland the sun enters the tomb and strikes the back wall.  It was and is a day of great celebration - from 3000 B.C. (when the tomb was constructed) until this day.  This day holds the promise of the world reborn - no small miracle.

Here is a picture of the tomb with the sun entering on the winter solstice:

As above, so below!  May you see the growth of everything good in your life in the new year - and may you always live in light!

Read more.

Santa’s Christmas Fanfiction list, the Naughty and Nice

by Stilllearning

One A Them Guys-A Small Christmas Tale - One Shot
By wildcolumbine

Disorderly Conduct Christmas - Part 1 & part 2
By jacks key

Disorderly Conduct - Santa Claus and the Bad Bad Boy and A Christmas Poem
By jacks key

The Twenty-third of December - One Shot
The Twenty-fourth of December part 2, part 3, part 4
By aileb42

An Old Fashioned Ed and Hank Deck The Halls...
Ed and Hank-Greetin's of the Season G Rated Version , NC-I Rated Version
By myeyesaintblue

Best Friends Forever Future TensionChristmas Time's a Comin'...A Holiday Interlewd
by sienata

Christmas Hearts
By Cynical21

December part 1, December part 2, and December part 3
By neverdone39

12 Days of Christmas Challenge
By montana_crows, fizzerbass and smiles a lot

TDS Team Shares Their Knowledge

Here is a little retrospective from the TDS team.  Each person answered the question:  What have I learned since working on TDS?

How much of a difference teamwork can make, something I theoretically already knew but which often got buried in an ideal of self-reliance. Both the TDS staff and other forum members consistently sent links and tips for just the right kind of story -- sometimes with hours to spare. Various staff members came to my rescue when we had occasional snafus over who was to format and on one occasion when I had personal emergencies come up right before a deadline. And on at least two occasions, sharp-eyed staffers and forum friends alerted me just in time to jokes and hoaxes.

I've learned some basics about HTML and formatting, how to use photo-sharing sites and more than a few tricks for getting just that image I want. I've been using computers for over 30 years, and am always grateful for a chance to keep updating.

Through TDS, Brokeback not only had a personal impact on me but gave me a better appreciation and understanding of what a community means.

People are willing to get up really early on the morning that you post your first TDS, so they can help if you have a problem in doing that.

That a little forward slash mark(/) before the letters url is very important to having something that you worked really hard on, turn out the way you want.

That small town gay bars in the rural south are a precious haven providing a place of acceptance and comradery, that gay people who live in those areas, often can't find anywhere else.

That the TDS staff is patient, understanding and fun - willing to answer a thousand questions about the Daily Sheet process.

That the safety, in fact very lives of gay people in Iran depends on their secrecy and ability to be inconspicuous.

That when you delete a picture from your photo bucket, the picture DISAPPEARS from TDS that the formatter spent much time preparing to be posted.

That it's a GREAT help when forum members contribute an article or lead for newsworthy stories, and that letting us know about interesting, meaningful or funny posts throughout the forum is much appreciated.

tellyouwhat

There are always lurkers reading.

Good headlines need to pique interest, not just tell the news.

I have learned how to embed links!

How to spell non-sequitur.  Which is torture.  Once you know how to spell “non-sequitur” and “minuscule” you will never again really know peace.

The TDS team are so dedicated they inspire me to keep going, and going, and…

I have learned how it feels to have a regular column.

I have learned more about Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger than I ever would have dreamed.  (and sometimes I do dream about them.)  Not that I’m complaining.

I’ve learned to save the html code while formatting in case my browser crashes -- autosave would be a good thing!

I've learned so much about the forum and its members, since formatting on Fridays is the day the member profiles appear.

I've also learned that working with a great, supportive crew is a joy, and that taking time out to contribute to the forum really means a lot to me. It's my way of thanking Dave and the moderators for providing a wonderful place to visit for the last two years.

...and the people that inhabit this virtual city? well, what can i say?  Through TDS, I've gotten to "meet" so many others that I’d never run into on the various threads. I love the post of the day, as it's a glimpse into parts of Dave Cullen I might never visit normally.

I love that there's a photocap at the end of each edition, as it's a light touch when the content of TDS might be bittersweet -- stories of discrimination or hate crimes, for instance, which we need to hear about.

Most of all, I've learned through working on TDS that the place we sometimes call our "other life" is actually very real.

Besides all the technical things, the main thing I have learned from working here is not to give up - to keep trying, that I can learn and do more than I thought I could.

You should see my lengthy notes!  I don't know what we would do without Jimmy, he taught me everything I know and I still think his DS looks better than any!

How about the code for a hyperlink to the PROFILE for a particular user, such as:  whiplash
Code:
[url =http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=812]whiplash[/url]
Ex:
whiplash

I've almost learned how to embed links in text and graphics, thanks to many lessons from various TDS staff members, past and present. Still have to use an example to go by, though.

I've definitely learned that the our team is small in number but big at heart when it comes to working together to publish The Daily Sheet. They're fast learners, hard workers, talented layout artists, and good writers. They don't even seem to mind my messing with their stuff from time to time.

How the Dave Cullen Forum affected Dave – Here is an excerpt from Dave’s Christmas post:

“…It was nice to wake up this morning and have time to come down here to chat with you all more leisurely. I wish I could say my life felt leisurely. It will again in a few months, I pray. but it's just really nice to have this place to come home to. I can't say visiting with my family feels like home. This does. What a relief.”

Have you noticed our new emoticons?

;=   :-[

Thanks to killersmom and BayCityJohn

gnash has an idea for a book we would like to see:

(not-so) Literary Photocaps of the Day

by chapeaugris

ENNIS TRIES THERAPY

by gnash

that spring, hungry for any job, each had signed up with farm and ranch employment --
they came together as herder and camp tender, and inflatable snowman, for the same
sheep operation north of signal. the summer range lay above the tree line on forest
service land on brokeback mountain. it would be jack twist's second summer on
the mountain, ennis's first, the snowman's fourth. it had become a tradition.

Contributors:  Kittyhawk, Marge_Innavera, Stilllearning, Dave Cullen, Milomorris, michaelflanagansf, chapeaugris, gnash, denim girl, whiplash

Calendar of Events

Brokies in the UK

June 1-7, 2008.

Date to be determined

Today's edition produced by Ellen (tellyouwhat) email: Ellen@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by tellyouwhat

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:12:08 PM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Stilllearning

• Daily Sheet Staff
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 07:34:14 AM »

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Profile: Brokeback_1

Brokeback_1 talking to Annie Proulx at book signing in Casper, WY, fall of 2006

I'm from  Brooklyn, NY, eldest of 2 sets of sons born 10 years apart to loving, close parents--a musically talented Italian mother and very funny Irish father. They sent me to Catholic schools.  I had the most remarkably sheltered urban upbringing concievable, in many ways so sheltered it made me incapable of coping with a bad reality. On the other hand it gave an untouchable core, inviolable no matter what. 

In grammer school I was branded as 'trouble', continually in hot water. Just turned 12 and entering puberty and sheltered, curious little Johnny ended up very badly sexually abused by strangers. The manipulation was awesome.  After I rebelled and it ended, I had total distrust for men not related to me. I went to great lengths to hide it.

I had 'sort of known' I wasn't straight but also knew I wasn't gay, insofar as hazy concepts mean anything to a child. It didn't matter until I was molested, when my sheltered life shifted off its foundations. Adolescence was exceptionally screwy and nobody knew what the problem was.

At 15, to our mutual horror, my mother found the notebook in which I'd written down what happened to me; that resilient woman almost had a nervous breakdown. I was clueless, discovered alcohol, drank a LOT and hung with a small mixed group of wildly social loners who were gay, straight and bi.

Not one of us trusted gay adults, who were seemingly always trying to take our pants off. We understood each other, read books, plotted revolutions, jumped out of windows, designed what we hoped was a workable water desalinisation and importation system to rehydrate the acquifers of the Sahara via Mediterranean sources; the usual things. And we hung out and drank. We were baffled at other people's rules and made our own, which at least worked.

At college I took the party concept to a higher level; my friends were jocks and science majors while I went for history and actually ended up one of the in-crowd for the first time in my life. Yet when I fell in love, I never asked her out and settled for friendship: didn't think I was good enough.

The partying became spirit killing so I went to a 12 step program and met a remarkable bunch of older men. Without them and that sober base, nothing else would be possible, even today.

I'd  found passionate adult interests in arboriculture and horticulture and have gone to some good schools, managed to intern at 3 gardens in the US and Europe. Yet being alone, it seemed pointless. Loneliness is a real killer.

What I did well was the most important of all, dwarfing everything else: being 'the father' for the son of the girl I'd fallen for in school. After her husband walked, she took a deep breath and asked me to be his de facto father. I said 'OK'. To this day I'm baffled at the way she was taken aback. She said wait, this is for life, we have to talk about it, this is serious! I said Why? I know what it means to be a father. SOMEBODY has to do it! It never entered my head to say no.

This August I took him out to a sports bar and asked if he would let me adopt him. I was pretty scared, afraid he'd say no. He said Yes before the words were out of my mouth and to know I did one very important thing RIGHT humbles me. My son is a great joy.

I am a one-person guy who's been in love twice, once with a man, once with a woman.  That male relationship was a once in a life time bond which became impossible for various reasons; afterwards, I had never had sex with another guy. Who wants second best, or to settle?

The Female relationship was different in that we'd never actually gone out! Yes, I was very much in love, smitten as a teenager. But....I'd never felt good enough for her. We'd even raised a son lololol, BUT...

Then I saw Brokeback Mountain.  I left the theater asking what the hell I was waiting for and within days called the two people I loved most, to see what was there... in the process ending up here.

Result?

The girl I wasn't good enough for married me this January, while the man is my best male bud.

Brokeback did that for me.

Are you a morning person or night-owl, peace-maker or comfortable with confrontation, more of a sun-bather or rock-climber, life-of-the-party or desiring a quiet cup of coffee with a few friends?
I'm a peacemaker who can make trouble. A true night owl. I'm not NOT comfortable with confrontation until I actually do it. I'd rather sun bathe then climb a rock: who cares about the top of a rock, it's a damned ROCK.

I dislike large parties. At a small party hopefully I can hold my own, and at large ones I tend to stick with a small group. And I like to just hang out. Like many New Yorkers, I've made hanging out into an art.

What's the strangest food/food combination that you've ever eaten?
Yarak, in Kurdistan. But I didn't eat it. It's chopped up sheep penis and rice, stuffed in the disembodied skin of the, uh, sheep's genitalia. It even had decorative greens to simulate pubic hair. I said no thank you and did not give a damned. NONONO, Jack was not eating a sheep's pecker! Otherwise... Did I mention the Lovesick Diet Thread?

What famous quote has inspired you?
1)--When I was a kid my hero was General DeGaulle. I liked the majesty with which he said that gallic "Non" to LBJ. The General awed me, and so did his 'NON'.
2)--"How can one govern a nation which has 256 varieties of cheese?" A Gaullist statement which has come in handy...
3)--The tag of Euripides's The Bacchae, to me a prayer:  The Gods wear many faces
and many fates fulfill to work their will. In vain man's expectation. God brings the unthought to be as here we see.

And the closing line of Brokeback, my forum signature.

Currently listening to?
Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears, and ever since it snowed, The Emperor Waltz.

What is the greatest gift that you have received? Why?
To not drink, to be able to stop drinking. Without it, I would have no life. None.

Currently reading?
Something a writer friend [whom I met through BB] hasn't yet published, a fact which blows me away on all fronts. And Professor J.S.Bury's History of the Later Roman Empire: From the Death  of Theodosios to the Reign of Justinian. Rereading it actually, it's wonderful, magisterial. I'm going through my plant books too.

Biggest challenge?
Understanding and appreciating reality. AND to finish what I start. Like planting 6,000 bulbs this fall. Or completing a short story. Or being a husband.

Your perfect day?
Well there are two. One up north in Wyoming, not a soul, not a building as far as the eye can see for 40-50 miles. That particular love does NOT get old. But it's the sad and wrinkled knowing terrain, the desolation of the High Plains, not the mountains. I'm not so big on mountains. They are beautiful, inimical, exalt and crush. A nice backdrop....From the moment the border was first crossed, Wyoming has been 'going home', MY place. My son just said he intends to scatter some of my ashes up there when I drop dead.[lol]

The other is in New York City, where I would hang out with my wife and relatives, then go into in Manhattan. Hook up with my friends and hang out until dawn with some of the funniest people alive in either the Village or the Theater District. Brokeback managed to give me back New York. I'm very proud of the city, it's incomparable and MINE.

What's your indulgence?
DCF & Bettermost. And good bread, with good cheese.

If you could take a class on something that interests you, what would it be and why?
I'd  like to learn Latin and have a discussion with Caeser, but since he's dead I'll settle for someone in the Roman Curia who remembers his Latin.  And a good class on how to express emotions in writing through indirect allusion. When I try, it seems clumsy, although my mentor says it's good. Being too impatient to research 'How To Write' made it more difficult, like starting from the finish line. Last year, with no class looming, I got some cojones and asked  a very good writer questions which surprised and interested; they took the time to guide.

First job?
I delivered meat for an Italian  butcher on my bicycle. I was 12-13 and a young idiot but it was a cool job. I'm serious, everybody from kids slightly older to housewives tried to seduce me. It was very interesting. I was fired, too, the owner got nervous, LOL. I ran into someone from back then the last time I was in Brooklyn, he said ever since he had seen Donnie Darko, when he thought of Donnie 'your face popped into my head. You had this... this something. Even my mother said it.' I was a pretty wierd kid.

What was your most embarrassing experience or the strangest situation that you found yourself in?
There were so many I can't even start. But... a cast party, age 19, is way up there. We all ended up naked riding our bikes to buy more beer at 3 AM.

If you were able to re-do something in your life and do it differently, what would it be and why?
One lovely day in June of 1967 I would have not stepped out of my house, nor would I have gotten onto my bicycle. I would have never left the backyard. Hell I'd have claimed sick and never gotten out of bed. Why? My life would have been completely different.

Other than BBM, what movie has impacted you the most? Why?
Sleepers. NOT by Woody Allen. The one with Brad Pitt, Kevin Bacon, Jason Patric. Why? - It fit.

What is the best piece of advice that you've ever received?
Shut up.

If you could ask God one question, what would it be?
How come what is basic and easy for damned near every other guy alive - gay, straight, bi or tri, leaves me so baffled while things that baffle everyone else come so easily to ME?  And WHY? What the hell am I supposed to learn from all this?

Other than your parents, who has had the greatest influence on your life?
Today, I'd say my wife and best male friend influence me... While Juniour has me wrapped around his finger.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the
Pearly Gates?

Stick around for a while. When you get your bearings go back and do it again.

What's one thing that you just can't stand, so you're trying to help fix it?
Injustice.

What's your inspiration?
My wife first. Yeah definately first. She supports and loves me unconditionally, I couldn't even try without her gently prodding my ass. My mother and aunt, lol, who not so gently prod my ass. The High Plains of Wyoming. New York City. Annie Proulx. And an Op-Ed/TDS writer
in Dallas who saw BBM and decided she would make a place for herself, by being herself.

What do you know for sure?
For a smart guy I can be a real jackass.

What brought you to the Forum?
I had a real need to find why BBM  had torn my guts open. And a need to put them back together.

What do you appreciate the most about this site, what is the most important thing that you have learned as a result of being here?
I appreciate the many fine, fine people I've met. I appreciate the platform it gives us to bounce ideas, work things out.

What I've learned is to shut up. The conflicts are essentially meaningless. Delusional people cannot be awakened. When the roof collapses, it collapses.

Are you more like Jack or Ennis? Why?
Depends upon the situation, but I identify with Jack Twist much more then Ennis, while in many ways being Ennis. If JACK'S black Cowboy Hat ever comes on the market I will get myself into financial trouble.

Your favorite threads?
Gay & Christian in the World Today, Travels With Alexander the Great, Surviving Abuse, TDS, ALL the scene-by-scene and Elements and Themes threads which my DCF crew hang on. The analysis threads are a continuing source of fascination. Some fantastic people post there. And yes, we DO over-analyse too much, sometimes Picea pungens is actually Picea pungens. All we need is an occasional Proulxian tidbit and 50 pages result.

How many times have you watched BBM?
16 viewings in a theater, of which #1 was with mom. I LOVED the 10PM and Midnight shows. Perhaps 10 times start to finish on the dvd, the last time I saw BBM  title to credits was in Sept. with WLAGuy in LA. I've watched various scenes many, many times.

Who is the one person that you would most want to see BBM and why?
I'd like to sit down and watch BBM  from title to credits with my son.

Your favorite BBM scene?
Making camp...WaterWalkin Jesus...tent ain't raght...the DE...Jack's 8 seconds....Jack hooking up with Lureen...Thanksgiving in Childress...the shirts...Ennis looking away after asking Juniour if Kurt loves her. That one kills me.

What was your take-away message from BBM?  What affected you the most?
I left the theater with one thought regarding ME: "What the hell are you waiting for, one of you to drop dead? " ....which is pretty self explanatory. In retrospect I think the 'outsider and misfit' status of both characters grabbed me, ripped my heart open. I've always had to make my place. My wife says I have never seen a box unless I stuffed myself into one. The fastest way for me to stuff myself into a trailor is to start drinking again. When I drink the world becomes 4 bare walls. I've been in a 12 step program for a long time now and that is the base which gives me myself. Brokeback reaffirmed and built on that.

New Years was first observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago, and round 2000 BC, the new year was celebrated on what is now March 23, the first New Moon (first visible cresent) after the Vernal Equinox.

New years continued to be celebrated in late March, but when Roman emperors continued to manipulate the yearly calendar, causing it to become out of sync with the sun-driven calendar, the Roman senate, in 153 BC, declared January 1 to be the beginning of the new year.

Making of New Year's resolutions also dates back to the early Babylonians where the most popular resolution was to return borrowed farm equipment. Traditionally, luck for the coming year was thought to be affected by what one did or ate on the first day of the year, hence midnight celebrations with family and friends, and special foods, especially those in the shape of a ring, because it symbolizes "coming full circle," completing a year's cycle. This from NewYears.com

.Most Popular New Year's Resolutions

Lose weight       Pay off debt       Save money       Get a better job   Get fit       Eat right       Improve your education       Drink less alcohol    Quit smoking         Reduce stress     Spend more time w/ family & friends    Get organized   Take a trip       Volunteer to help others    These from About.com

Tips for Making Good New Year’s Resolutions

1. Be realistic by setting achievable goals.
2. Chose goals that YOU want, not those that you feel like you SHOULD pursue.
3. Create a PLAN for meeting your goal, in order for your resolution to have resolve.
4. Create your plan right away - harness your motivation.
5. Break down large goals into smaller specific ones, for example “I want to loss 15 pounds by April 1st,” or "I want to call my Mother two days per week."
6. Write down your resolution and plan, don't just think about it.
7. Think "Year Round," - Nothing big gets accomplished in one day. Resolutions are set in one day, but accomplished with a hundred tiny steps that happen throughout the year. New Year's resolutions should be nothing more than a starting point.
8. Plan alternatives to a behavior that you want to change, and make this part of your resolution plan. If you want to quit smoking but you smoke to relax yourself? What else can you do to relax?
9. Remain Flexible - recognize partial successes at every step along the way. Give yourself some latitude, don't demand perfection.
10. Acknowledge the incremental successes as they come. The goals are accomplished in many small increments along the way.         
These recommendations are from Mygoals.com.

Visit the New Year's Resolutions Thread and tell us about yours!

Where are the Gay Bars Going?

There has been a steady decline in the number of gay bars over the past two decades, a trend that reduces public social places for gay men to call their own. Traditionally these establishments were places where gay men could hang out, meet each other, and just enjoy a night on the town; also they served as a safe haven where closeted gay men could fully be themselves.  More recently though, once popular places like Buddies in Boston, Spike and Pegasus in New York, and the oldest gay bar in Pittsburgh, where Queer as Folk was filmed, have all closed, reports Robert David Sullivan of The Boston Globe.

These local watering holes have represented a welcoming atmosphere for younger gay men to socialize, meet others, and find out more about how they fit into the world as gay men.  Over the years, the role of the gay bar has evolved from inconspicuous and unmarked locals to established urban clubs, many offering space for organizing events such as social groups, political activities, and Pride Day parades.

However, more recently, the landscape of our cities has been changing, and these changes are affecting public gathering places like book stores, diners, and shopping venues. The reasons for these changes include growing real estate costs as cites re-vitalize, and urban sprawl, with the greatest factor influencing these changes thought to be the Internet, which is often replacing public gathering spaces as the place to go - be it to shop or as a place for men to meet other men. Weekday evenings now find more men chatting online and fewer frequently the local clubs, with some nation online communities numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Let us know if you see changes in your city  - fewer public places to gather? Are you spending more time online and less going out - to the bar, shopping, to the coffee shop? You can find the full story at Boston.com

Online Dating - Gay Friendly?

Douglas Quenqua of The New York Times reports that Online dating service Chemistry.com is about to embark on a new campaign that paints their main competator, eHarmony.com as "out of touch with mainstream America for refusing to match people of the same gender and for the evangelical Christian beliefs of its founder, Dr. Neil Clark Warren."

In April, Chemistry.com ran a set of ads with a similar theme called “Rejected by eHarmony” featuring people who were turned away for being gay, not happy enough or simply unmatchable by its system. Since this campaign, Chemistry.com has experienced an 80 percent growth rate, with enrollments by gays and lesbians having risen 200 percent; 10 percent of Chemistry.com’s members are seeking a same-sex match.

Both of these online dating services use an in-depth personality test to generate potential matches. Ms. Petrie of eHarmony said that the company has no position on premarital sex and has no affiliation with any religion, and does not offer services to gays or lesbians, because, “EHarmony’s matching system is based on psychological data collected from heterosexual married couples, and we have not offered a service for those seeking same-sex matches. Nothing precludes us from offering a same-sex service in the future, but it’s not a service we offer now.”

Online matchmaking businesses generate nearly $650 million a year in sales.

Music 2007 -  Highs and Lows

Santaolalla Featured on iTunes

iTunes celebrates the man behind the label with a career retrospective on Santaolalla which includes work from Babel, Brokeback Mountain, and Amores Perros.  A box set Gustavo Santaolalla Presenta: 10 anos de Surco is an exclusive collection of 62 songs by surco artists.

Bands to “watch out for”

Love God’s Way Ministry, devoted to anti-gay propaganda has released a list of artists that parents should watch out for, noting “One of the most dangerous ways homosexuality invades family life is through popular music.” Here are just a few of the artists on their list:

·Ted Nugent (loincloth) 
·Lil' Kim
·Frank Sinatra
·Nickleback
·Clay Aiken
·Red Hot Chili Peppers
·The Cure (makeup)
·Spin Doctors
·Britney Spears (kissed Madonna)
·NoFx (gay punk)
·Elton John(really gay) 

Songs that Matter

Spinners has selected 20 “Protest Songs that Matter,” and at number 18 is Garth Brooks’ We Shall Be Free (1992), a song rebelling against homophobia.

”When one of the most successful country artists -- make that successful artists period -- audaciously sang ‘When we're free to love anyone we choose’ in this gospel-influenced number, many took it as an endorsement of gay rights. Brooks made the connection more explicit at 2000's Equality Rocks, where he was the only straight male to perform."

The Forum's 2nd Anniversary!!

Visit the How has the DC Forum Affected You thread and share what the forum has meant to you.

Forum Post of the Day

Beauty Captured - Life through the Lens

By Connie

A late nerine, by Formerlydank 

By Desertrat

By Daannzzz

London, by Trigger Hippie

March Madness Forum Gathering - Mark Your Calendars

March 14th, 15th, and 16th in San Francisco! Visit our Gatherings Thread for all the scoop.

Quote of the Day:
Submitted by Lawgoddess

"The only people to get even with are those who have helped you."

~ Anonymous ~

Photo Caption of the Day

From Photo Captioning Fun
By tfmisc

CHILDRESS NEW YEAR’S EVE PARTY

Crowd (sings): Should auld acquaintance be forgot…

Lureen (thinks): They should if they were fishin’ buddies.

Jack (thinks): Should? Should?  Can’t. There ain’t a day in the year I don’t remember him…

Contributors: Lawgoddess, Trigger Hippie, Daannzzz, Desertrat, Formerlydank,
Connie, KittyHawk, Michaelflanagansf, tfmisc, Tellyouwhat, gnash

Calendar of Events

Columnists: Jim Bond, michaelflanagansf, Marge_Innavera

Today's edition produced by Dawn (Stilllearning) email: Dawn@davecullen.com

Today's edition formatted and proofed by gnash