The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 591229 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2490 on: November 26, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
This is an old interview about the filming of Brokeback, with the owners of the laundry and apartment, after filming was completed.  It might be old news, but may by interesting to some of the newer members.

It's from the Finding Brokeback website...the whole site is fascinating.
http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Interviews/_Interview_Frame.html
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2491 on: November 26, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the post, Nancy!  That site is interesting, and  so is the interview.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #2492 on: December 03, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
But the big lovely sign they put up on the building is gone...  :(

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2493 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »

The Hollywood Foreign Press is celebrating their 75th Anniversary Awards
next January and this week they had a 75th Anniversary Special on NBC
with clips and commentary from over the years.

Since 1943 they have awarded 131 Best Film Awards in their Drama and
Comedy/Musical categories.  The HFPA was asked to rank their list of the
TOP !5 films from the 131 films honored since 1943.

Here is their list:

1.   The Godfather
2.   Lawrence of Arabia
3.   Chinatown
4.   Some Like It Hot
5.   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
6.   Sunset Blvd.
7.   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
8.   Schindler's List
9 .  The Graduate
10. On the Waterfront
11. Amadeus
12. Titanic
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. La La Land
15. The Sound of Music

That is an incredible list to be on, in my opinion! I've seen all of them more than once and some many times.

Not all movies were commented on, sometimes just the clips were shown, but Jake Gyllenhaal spoke a
few words about Brokeback Mountain. Here they are the best I can offer...the actual words might be off
here and there.

Jake:

It's an incredible honor that the HFPA included Brokeback Mountain on their list of extraordinary movies.
The funny thing about a movie like that is I don't think we understood the resonance, at the time, that
it would have, what it would become, and that it would be awarded and lauded the way that it was. We
started off with just a group of people coming together, trying to do something honestly and then it
became what it's become today and it's just incredible. And it's incredible to be amongst a group of films
and film makers and actors and actresses that make wonderful cinema. It's an honor.

The film clips they showed were the reunion scene on the steps with Alma seeing the guys kiss, the
"I wish I knew how to quit you" scene and the scene with Ennis finding the shirts in the closet.

At one point in the program in an unrelated area, they cut to Heath and Jake sitting together in the
audience and it felt so real and alive that you can't believe it isn't.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2494 on: December 16, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Here is the link to watch the special on your computer. If you have AdBlock, make sure to disable it.

https://www.nbc.com/golden-globe-75th-anniversary-special/video/golden-globe-75th-anniversary-special/3632177
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2495 on: December 16, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »
I just watched it on my computer, and it was great. Once again when I saw the scenes and heard the music tears came to my eyes, like always!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2496 on: December 16, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »

Linda, did you see that one part near the end, I forgot who was on stage in the clip, but they cut
to Jake & Heath in the audience, and Heath looks like he's saying something to Jake and it made
me at first joyful and then wince, because Heath should still be here.

Also, that Top 15 list of what the HFPA considers their best films from 1943 (when they were founded) to now,
is so impressive and almost any film fan would embrace each and every one of those films. I kind of expected
The Godfather to be at or near the top.

1.   The Godfather (1972)
2.   Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
3.   Chinatown (1974)
4.   Some Like It Hot (1959)
5.   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
6.   Sunset Blvd. (1950)
7.   One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
8.   Schindler's List (1993)
9 .  The Graduate (1967)
10. On the Waterfront (1954)
11. Amadeus (1984)
12. Titanic (1997)
13. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
14. La La Land (2016)
15. The Sound of Music (1965)

If I ranked these same 15, they would be:

6.   Sunset Blvd. (1950)
14. La La Land (2016)
12. Titanic (1997)
11. Amadeus (1984)
3.   Chinatown (1974)
9 .  The Graduate (1967)

Today anyway, lol!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2497 on: December 16, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »
Yes I did see that, Lyle, and I agree with your sentiment.
I was able to cast it to my TV set as I have Chromecast and so it was like watching it when it was broadcast.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2498 on: December 17, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Nice!   ;D

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2499 on: January 20, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »
Since I have a bit of spending money, I've just purchased the following eight books online about the film "Brokeback Mountain" (2005). Their basically gifts to myself for Valentine's Day and for Easter.  I am going to have half of them for Valentine's Day and save the other half for Easter. By setting up this little arrangement with myself, it will give me more time to read through them.  Some of the books are used, but I got all of them for less than $100.00.  I have been wanting to read some of the books that have been written about Ang Lee's theatrical film for a while now. These are the titles of the eight books that I purchased:

1."On Brokeback Mountain: Meditations about Masculinity, Fear, and Love in the Story and the Film" (2008) by Eric Patterson.

2. "The Brokeback Book: From Story to Cultural Phenomenon" (2011) by William R. Handley.

3.  "I Wish I Knew How to Quit You: An Unofficial Brokeback Mountain Trivia Book" (2006) by Joshua Michaelmas.

4.  "Dreamfilm - Brokeback Mountain Explored" (2007) by Daniel Bates.

5.  "Reading Brokeback Mountain: Essays on the Story and the Film" (2007) by Jim Stacy.

6.  "Brokeback Mountain (American Indies) " (2010) by Gary Needham.

7.  "Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film" (2007) by Members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum.

8.  "Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay" (2005) by Annie Proulx,‎ Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:27:33 AM by B.W. »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2500 on: January 21, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
Please let us know your thoughts.   I've got Patterson's book but have never been able to finish it.  Some of these, I've never seen before.  Thanks! V.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2501 on: January 21, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »
Linda, did you see that one part near the end, I forgot who was on stage in the clip, but they cut
to Jake & Heath in the audience, and Heath looks like he's saying something to Jake and it made
me at first joyful and then wince, because Heath should still be here.

Also, that Top 15 list of what the HFPA considers their best films from 1943 (when they were founded) to now,
is so impressive and almost any film fan would embrace each and every one of those films. I kind of expected
The Godfather to be at or near the top.

3.   Chinatown (1974)
6.   Sunset Blvd. (1950)
9 .  The Graduate (1967)
11. Amadeus (1984)
12. Titanic (1997)
14. La La Land (2016)

If I ranked these same 15, they would be:

6.   Sunset Blvd. (1950)
14. La La Land (2016)
12. Titanic (1997)
11. Amadeus (1984)
3.   Chinatown (1974)
9 .  The Graduate (1967)

Today anyway, lol!

I also like that "Schindler's List" (1993) was included on the list.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2502 on: January 23, 2018, 08:19:05 PM »
I read through the "Joe My God" . com news blog that deals with LGBT issues and read an article about Catholic cardinal Timothy Dolan saying that gay men should live a life without ever being romantically or sexually involved with other men.  One comment mentioned something about gay men living together as "platonic friends".  I am not LGBT, but I thought, "how ridiculous".  Timothy Dolan may choose to follow the rule that Roman Catholic clergy are not allowed to date or have sex because of his religious profession, but what right does he have to tell a whole group of people what to do?  I don't believe that a close platonic friendship that does not involve romance or sex can make up for the need to be romantically or sexually involved with another consenting adult.  Romantic and sexual desires in an adult for another adult is perfectly natural and healthy to me.

A life of choosing to voluntarily follow a rule that requires that you live the rest of your life as a celibate person in order to continue remaining a member of a highly restrictive and exclusive fundamentalist religious, it just doesn't seem very realistic to me.  People have the right to make such a choice and I respect their right to do that, but I honestly have to say that I personally don't agree with or respect their reasons for making such a choice.  I think that it would be lonely and miserable existence. I think that it would be better to leave such a religious group. It seems to me that such a religious group doesn't want you as a member anyway.  I mean, if Yahweh or any other deity is going punish you for choosing to express your sexual feelings, then why wouldn't he punish you for merely having those feelings anyway? There aren't any passages in the Bible that suggest that gay men who choose not to have sex with other men with make it into the afterlife.  The authors of the Bible, including Saint Paul seem to view same-sex male relationships as being nothing more than an "abomination' and "shameful lust", that is if you hold to a literal interpretation of these and other Biblical passages.

As for myself, I don't care what the authors of the Bible or any other religious scriptures views on romantic and sexual feelings between adults of the same gender or even same-sex relationships are.  To me, the authors' of these scriptures' views on homosexuality are simply wrong.  I think they are wrong about a lot of other issues, too.  Even if being LGBT was a choice, I still would support other people's right to make such a choice as long as they weren't hurting anyone else.  I think sexual relationships between people of the same gender are morally neutral.  They are neither "immoral" or "moral" to me.  I think that they are entirely healthy if that is how one feels.  If Timothy Dolan told unmarried couples to stop having sex, how many of them do you think would listen.  I can hear a lot of crickets chirping in the dark on that one. Dolan is entitled to his opinion, but it is an opinion that I disagree with.  I don't think that romantic and sexual repression is healthy and I think that it does damage.  I just feel sorry for LGBT persons who are involved with the Roman Catholic Church, especially LGBT teenagers who might have heard his words.

Jack and Ennis had to live a life of repression and it didn't seem like it did them an ounce of good. They had to pretend to be something they weren't just to appease other people. They hurt themselves and ended up hurting their families whom they cared deeply about. Pretending to be heterosexual or cisgender if you are LGBT also seems to be unhealthy and damaging to me, nobody should have to do that, although I can understand why some people do.  I just feel that it is a shame that people feel like they have to do that to themselves.  I just felt the need to mention this because it was something that I needed to talk about.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2503 on: January 23, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »
I grew up in a catholic land and went to a catholic school, funny enough, I don't remember school as homophobic at all, it was just something nobody spoke about. They were pretty democratic in a way, ALL sex was bad, even talking friendly to the male teachers if you were a girl was considered suspicious, we were told by a nun the next step would be trying to buy our grades sleeping with them! Well, I grew up falling in love with both girls and boys and wasn't able to understand what I feel for girls until I was at the university, it just did not exist at all in my head that it was possible and it confused the hell out of me. But I am talking about a girl experience, it was completely different for boys, gay kids, or just boys who appeared to be somehow weak or "girly" went through hell, and sadly enough it was mainly the other boys, not the adults, who were reponsible for that.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2504 on: January 25, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
I grew up in a catholic land and went to a catholic school, funny enough, I don't remember school as homophobic at all, it was just something nobody spoke about. They were pretty democratic in a way, ALL sex was bad, even talking friendly to the male teachers if you were a girl was considered suspicious, we were told by a nun the next step would be trying to buy our grades sleeping with them! Well, I grew up falling in love with both girls and boys and wasn't able to understand what I feel for girls until I was at the university, it just did not exist at all in my head that it was possible and it confused the hell out of me. But I am talking about a girl experience, it was completely different for boys, gay kids, or just boys who appeared to be somehow weak or "girly" went through hell, and sadly enough it was mainly the other boys, not the adults, who were reponsible for that.

Gazapete,

Interesting story.  I think that Roman Catholic Church views all sexual relationships outside of procreative purposes are looked down upon.  Most of the religious groups that I was previously involved with had a very negative view of LGBT issues, that much I knew, but such subjects weren't really talked about all that much.  I think if an LGBT person that chooses to embrace and express their sexual orientation and/or gender identity who really wants to practice certain Catholic doctrines and rituals, they should do it at home apart from the Church. In regards to your comments about the bullying of "effeminate" or less masculine boys, kids can be pretty mean at times, even if they were raised or are being raised in religious households.