The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 594338 times)

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23:36 PM »
The networks in the UK, like the ones here, may not be willing to pony up. Popular first run flicks cost a lot more than older pictures. Crash hasn't been on network tv (just to name one from the same time period.)
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2008, 06:52:59 AM »
I suspect that is probably the reason, but I know Sky movies show it, and they had it as a film that one could pay for on their "Front Row" channel. We have Virgin Cable and to my knowledge they have never shown it at all. I do wonder if that is something to do with content, but as they do have Queer As Folk it seems unlikely. I wondered if there were copyright issues?
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Marc

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
There is one -- count 'em, one -- moment in the film when it looks like Heath is acting.  It's when he wakes up after FNIT.  The expression on his face is not quite perfect. 

I guess the rest of his performance makes up for it.

Offline freetraveller

• Obsessed
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »
I was also surprised that he looked clean-shaven to me in the morning after FNIT...  ;)
Travellers are those who find what they were not looking for...

Marc

« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »
So did Jack.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
They were 19... maybe neither was supposed to have a lot of face hair at the time. I don't remember them looking scruffy at all on the mountain.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
They shaved regularly as a priority. With all that sex, they didn't want to give each other a rash!
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2008, 02:31:55 PM »
They shaved regularly as a priority. With all that sex, they didn't want to give each other a rash!

very good point!
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline MsMercury

• Obsessed
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
I didn't know where to post this but I found this link today and thought I would share it.  I'm sure it's probably been posted before. Sorry if it already has.
http://www.buzzimage.com/en/work/making_of/33

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
I didn't know where to post this but I found this link today and thought I would share it.  I'm sure it's probably been posted before. Sorry if it already has.

Don't apologize.  It's very cool. I haven't seen it for a long time, so I appreciate the reminder.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
Harking back a post or three, BBM was shown on free-to-air TV in New Zealand last Sunday. The reviewer thought (slightly tongue-in-cheek) that NZers would maybe like the sheep connection  ;) (I can say that because I grew up there but no-one else is allowed to make sheep jokes  >:()

Re. FNIT, what was wrong with Heath's expression, Marc? he looked pretty right to me. Re. his stubble, he is a fair-haired man. (Note the "is" - we Heathens now live in a dreamworld.)

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2008, 10:51:33 PM »

Don't apologize.  It's very cool. I haven't seen it for a long time, so I appreciate the reminder.

And the music is rather nice too.

Marc

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:23 AM »
I thought the problem w/ Heath's morning-after expression was that it looked like he was acting -- the only moment in the movie when that happens.  It was good acting, but not perfectly natural.

I forget where I posted it, but his expressions in The Patriot were marvelous.

Marc

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
I just checked out the Making of on the Buzz Image link.  Wonderful!  And the music, which is is a variation of what's on the trailer, is so pretty I started to get choked up.

If only the assholes/idiots/... at Universal would put things like that on the DVD.  Maybe I'll make that suggestion to Buzz Image.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:52:30 AM by Marc »

Marc

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »
I sent this e-mail to Buzz Images about a half-hour ago:

Today was the first time I'd seen your Brokeback clip on your site.  It's a marvelous job of showing your contributions to what I and others think is one of the best movies ever made.

I had a suggestion.  Many people have been frustrated at how incomplete the Brokeback DVDs have been:  no trailer; no commentary; etc.  I've written to Universal and Focus Features, but they don't care.

So my suggestion is this:  How about if Buzz Images suggests to Universal that -- whenever they put out another Brokeback DVD -- they include your material on how the shots were composed?

I hope you have better luck than I did in persuading Universal or Focus Features to do justice to the film.

Thank you for your consideration.

Marc