The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 593989 times)

Marc

Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
I've watched the Buzz Image video about five times now.  In the shot of the sheep going up the valley on the right, I'd never looked at the left side of the screen and seen the sheep on the hilltop.  I will next time.

Since Heath's death, the only time I've seen the movie all the way through was at the Castro Theatre last month.  I've started it a couple of times at home, but not gotten much past their first summer.  I used to average once a week.

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
im sure your get back to watching the whole film in time
John 'Marz' Wayne

Marc

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »
Jesus, almost all I've been doing this afternoon is listening on headphones to the Buzz Image music and crying.  And sometimes getting work done.

The music is extraordinary.

I predict I'll watch the movie this evening.

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »

Maybe it has been mentioned in one thread or another, but 4/10 was the anniversary of the crushing of the Thresher in 1963, as I was 'reminded' on one of my visits to Bettermost this morning.  For film-only people, that event is one of the things J&E talk about when they are just getting real interested in  each other. 
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline mouk

• Obsessed
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2008, 06:40:10 AM »
I can't believe that in the msn.com list of films that changed lives there is Jaws but not BBM  >:( >:( >:(

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/movies/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=8073895

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:07 AM »
Yeah, well, I haven't been keen on sharks since --- oh, wait up, I haven't seen Jaws.

And Dal, where is the DECEASED stamp? Shouldn't there be one across that envelope?

Offline mouk

• Obsessed
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »
Ouch, Dal - this piece makes the Thresher tragedy very real  - and now we all know what it feels like getting one of them returned cards  :'( May those heroic marines rest in peace...

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2008, 10:59:56 AM »
I can't believe that in the msn.com list of films that changed lives there is Jaws but not BBM  >:( >:( >:(

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/movies/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=8073895

Jaws changed my life too!  Ever since I saw it in the 70s I have been avoiding the re-runs on television!

Let me think-- anything else?  Made me a Richard Dreyfuss fan.  Nope.  That came later.

Um -- exacerbated fear of sharks?  nope, like Mini. A., that was already in place at birth.  Of course, it did raise my awareness of sharks.  But I don't think it would stop me from buying beachfront property.

OK, maybe they mean, launched Stephen Spielberg's career.  That was life-changing for sure.  I guess every movie changes at least one person's life in some way.  :D
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
Ouch, Dal - this piece makes the Thresher tragedy very real  - and now we all know what it feels like getting one of them returned cards  :'( May those heroic marines rest in peace...

:'( :'( :'(
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Marc

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »
I think I remember hearing that the latest AFI list of top 100 movies didn't include BBM.  And if that's true, then all such lists are worthless and not worth the keystrokes to bemoan them.

Including these.

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
And Dal, where is the DECEASED stamp? Shouldn't there be one across that envelope?
"I'll take 'Obsolete Regional Post-office Practices' for a thousand."  [aka "Darned if I know"]  Was the loss of the ship made known immediately?  New model, nuclear -- they may have  kept the event very close until the initial investigation was finished.  I'm sure there were a lot of things aboard that the Navy wanted to either recover, or to make certain that they were not lying around somewhere for the Russian navy to pick up.  So the letter sat around 'unclaimed,' until it was so stamped, and returned.

Yes, your honor, I swear that's what happened!  honest![IOW I've been spinning BS here.  Maybe something like that, though]

Jaws changed my life too!  Ever since I saw it in the 70s I have been avoiding the re-runs on television!
My Gramma never took a shower for (I guess) 35 years after  she saw Psycho; only tub baths.  Such was the power of the movie, in the days before slasher flicks had become bread and butter.

Jaws Schmaws, ptui.  Changing lives -- what  about Jud Suess? or Triumph des Willens?  There's a couple of life-changers for you.  Jaws! [TdW is way scarier than any fish movie, too, of course.  And  the bad guy wins]
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2008, 02:16:21 PM »
A friend of mine sent me this video that has nothing to do with BBM,
but since it has to do with Austraila, Heath Ledger's homeland, I thought I'd
post it on here for all to enjoy. It is amazing to think all this is done with lights.
Can it be real?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUm4TOPs3J4
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
Dal, I'll never forget "Triumph of the Will", in Film class in college. What a flick.

Offline Ministering angel

• Obsessed
  • ...that distant summer...
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:42 PM »
post it on here for all to enjoy. It is amazing to think all this is done with lights.
Can it be real?

Yes, it's real.

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
Can it be real?

Oh, that was quite lovely....