The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 595512 times)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:43 PM »
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the criterion  collection.  ~
Try the web site.  Make a password & log in;  maybe there's a contact # or e-mail address for suggestions.
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline button

• Feet Wet
« Reply #541 on: April 04, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »
DAL - thank you. cross your fingers.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #542 on: April 06, 2009, 09:18:11 PM »

The essay investigates the film adaptation process of the short story "Brokeback Mountain". The short story is compared to the film manuscript and the film. The process of adaptation is analyzed through a narratological perspective and uses Linda Hutcheon's "A Theory of Adaptation" as a starting point when analyzing matters such as focalization, narrators,voiceovers and framed narratives.

University essay from Högskolan i Gävle/Institutionen för humaniora och samhällsvetenskap

1. Introduction: Aim and Method

How does a piece of writing change as it is re-written and more importantly, how does it
change when it is re-written for another medium? What gets added and subtracted? Is the
main storyline kept intact or does the adaptor change it in any way he or she likes? These are
some of the questions that will be discussed from a narratological perspective in this essay.

Annie Proulx’s “Brokeback Mountain” will be the object of investigation: the short story that
became widely known through its appearance in the New Yorker in 1997. Later on it was also
published in Proulx’s collection of short stories Close Range: Wyoming Stories in 1999. It
became most famous of all, however, through the film medium; many (myself included)
surely saw it without being aware that it was a screen adaptation. Brokeback Mountain was
very much appreciated in its written form and its reputation grew even greater. One might
even go so far as to say that it became a world wide phenomenon when it was adapted into a
film by director Ang Lee, based on the screenplay by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. It
was labelled as “a tale of two gay cowboys” (Proulx, GM 130) and the two actors playing the
main characters were widely acclaimed for their performances. However, this is not what will
be the main concern in this essay. As already mentioned, the purpose of this essay is to
compare the short story to the screenplay and film and make note of things that separate them,
but also point out what they have in common. Both the short story and the film will be
investigated from a narratological perspective. To put it in the words of Jonathan Culler, focus
will lie on “notions of plot, of different kinds of narrators [and] narrative techniques” where the aim will be to “understand the components of narrative and [analyze] how particular narratives achieve their effects”.

http://hig.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:200890/FULLTEXT01
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:02:19 PM by BayCityJohn »

Offline tomnewyork

• Feet Wet
« Reply #543 on: April 07, 2009, 07:14:29 AM »
Has this been posted before?
Just came across it and was amazed and pleased that it's still making the rounds.

http://www.angryalien.com/aa/brokebackbuns.asp

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #544 on: April 07, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
OMG!  That was hysterical! 
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2009, 10:08:26 AM »
^^^^

I watched it three times. 

Not as many times as I watched the real movie though.  :D
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
I've seen it before but it's still soooo funny :D :D.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »
John, that essay really sounds interesting.....how did you come across it?

And it's written here in Sweden.... ;)  8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

I found it on the internet  ;D

Actually I was searching for news items for TDS last night and came across the essay.

I have found a few others recently. Maybe I'll post those later.

Some of the articles I find are only available for money, but there are quite a few good ones that are free.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »

I found it on the internet  ;D

Actually I was searching for news items for TDS last night and came across the essay.

I have found a few others recently. Maybe I'll post those later.

Some of the articles I find are only available for money, but there are quite a few good ones that are free.

Please do!

I always find it interesting to read articles written from an objective and/or academic point of view.

I mean, we all know it's the best movie ever made, but it's interesting to see what non-brokies have to say about it...

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Miaisland

• Lady of the midnight sun
  • Obsessed
  • Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »

One just has to read it...

Here's to Högskolan i Gävle!!!!!!

“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline Sandy

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #551 on: April 07, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
I think Lee's "Ice Storm" is part of the Criterion Collection, so it's not out of the realm of imagination. But BBM is probably just too lucrative a franchise for Focus to give up on just yet.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #552 on: April 07, 2009, 10:09:40 PM »
Sharrett, Christopher, Department of Communication (March 2009).  “Death of the Strong, Silent Type:  The Achievement of Brokeback Mountain.” Film International, no. 37.

excerpt from Page 26

American Gothic

Ennis’s visit to the Twist homestead in the penultimate scene provides clues to much of the film, and explains why Ennis is necessarily the strong, silent male. If the Twists are representative of the American family, one has little choice, failing truly revolutionary options, but to shut up and put on a determined look that projects courage and conceals pain.

The Twist farmstead, weathered and tumbledown on the outside, incredibly stark and chilly in the interior, is a version of Grant Wood’s much-debated, omnipresent 1933 painting, American Gothic. The painting is indeed gothic, conveying the horror of Middle America as seat of repression and absolute order. The film has its correlates for Wood’s glaring farmer, hand clasping a threatening pitchfork, his female companion averting her gaze, her dress fastened tightly at the neck, and the peaked gothic (which is to say barbaric) gable of their wooden house behind them. John Twist (Peter McRobbie) is almost an Expressionist ghoul from the Weimar cinema, his words to Ennis (laying down the law about Jack’s final resting place) threatening beyond their actual content. Jack’s meek, frightened-looking mother (Roberta Maxwell) is not mentioned by name, even in the final credits, so irrelevant is she to the world around her, and even her own household.

If Lureen and Alma are marginal to their worlds (Lureen less so than Alma since she is a somewhat phallicized woman, internalizing the father’s values and running his affairs), Jack’s mother is the film’s final statement about women in patriarchal society—she has learned to mind her place to survive. Her small kindnesses to Ennis certainly don’t go unnoticed by her husband; they are permitted since they don’t disturb the way things are. The mother might be said to suggest a tiny potentiality within an awful setting, but her presence seems more involved in suggesting how the best of humanity can survive regardless of social systems, rather than hope for transformative change in the future.

This small, economical scene is one of the cinema’s most devastating portraits of patriarchal society. Jack’s early comments about the father’s utter failure (‘can’t please my old man, no way’), especially as a mentor (‘never taught me a thing’), find pointed meaning in the scene. As does Ennis’s story about his own father forcing him to look at the body of a dead gay man in a Wyoming drainage ditch, the patriarch both outright murdere(Ennis’s rumination about the father’s complicity is persuasive) and child abuser, his legacy forever imprinted on Ennis’s shattered psyche.

The last scene, with Ennis alone at his trailer, is exceptionally bleak, modified only a little by the arrival of Alma, Jr. and her announcement of her wedding, which momentarily cheers her father – if the concept of joy has any application to him. Contrary to several critics, I don’t read this scene as a poignant affirmation of marriage, with Ennis (alone after Alma, Jr.’s departure) sadly mourning the marriage to Jack that never happened. The scene’s emphasis is on desolation rather than what-might-have-been. After all, there is no evidence that Ennis would have accepted a union of any sort with Jack, his every gesture refusing that kind of intimacy out of fear of society and himself.

The film’s last shots are of the bloody shirts, the postcard of the mountain, and the trailer window pointing to a frontier that no longer exists, as all possibility is foreclosed. The strong, silent American male has come to a cul de sac, that is the place to which the American ideal of civilization has led. Ennis’s stoicism, his playing by the rules in the hope of something better, has simply produced his erasure

Full article:

http://www.atypon-link.com/INT/doi/pdf/10.1386/fiin.7.1.16

Christopher Sharrett is Professor of Communication and Film Studies at Seton Hall
University. He is author of The Rifleman (Wayne State University Press), editor of
Crisis Cinema: The Apocalyptic Idea in Postmodern Narrative Film (Maisonneuve Press),
and Mythologies of Violence in Postmodern Media (Wayne State University Press), and
co-editor of Planks of Reason: Essays on the Horror Film. His work has appeared in Cineaste,
Cinema Journal, Framework, Journal of Popular Film and Television, Film International,
Kino Eye, Senses of Cinema, and other publications, including numerous anthologies.

About Film International

Film International started in 1973 as Filmhäftet in Sweden and has through the years recruited contributors among the most distinguished scholars and journalists around the world.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:29:07 PM by BayCityJohn »

Marc

« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2009, 02:32:11 PM »
Hey, something happened in Riverton:

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/04/13/news/wyoming/33-escape.txt

A guy escaped from the honor farm.  He was doing 7-10 for involuntary manslaughter for killing somebody named Aguirre.

Not exactly riveting, but it's first news from there I've heard of in forever. 

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #554 on: April 13, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
Hey, something happened in Riverton:

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/04/13/news/wyoming/33-escape.txt

A guy escaped from the honor farm.  He was doing 7-10 for involuntary manslaughter for killing somebody named Aguirre.

Not exactly riveting, but it's first news from there I've heard of in forever. 

Where are you getting Aguirre's name from?

This guy killed someone named Teasdale

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2004/10/28/news/wyoming/bcd91be5ea472cf187256f39007ca750.txt