The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 593978 times)

Offline lislis

• Expert
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #645 on: September 26, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
http://www.film.com/features/story/best-male-performance-00s-final/30219710

"Vote early and often, voting ends on Wednesday, September 30 at noon PST."

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #646 on: October 05, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Spaces of Desire: Liminality and Abjection in Brokeback Mountain

by Fran Pheasant-Kelly

Analyses of Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain (2005) inevitably centre on the sexuality of its two male protagonists or the relationship between the film and the Western genre. Other studies focus on the aesthetics of its cinematography, particularly that of its lush panoramic vistas. Since the mountain itself functions as metaphor for the relationship between the two central protagonists, there is also commentary on the association between the landscape and sexuality. The often-primal nature of the mountain creates obvious opportunities for psychoanalytical readings in relation to sexuality. Occasionally, such readings implicate Julia Kristeva’s (1982) work, Powers of Horror, interpreting the instinctual and visceral aspects of Brokeback Mountain as abject.

This article extends these psychoanalytical readings, but, rather than focusing on the visceral aspects of the body as other studies have done, it refers to abjection in relation to subjectivity and space. It also draws upon David Sibley’s (1995) Geographies of Exclusion, negotiating the ambiguous nature of urban, interior, and borderland spaces evident within the film. It thus correlates the various settings with aspects of sexual identity, and proposes a relationship between desire, space, and abjection.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction

Brokeback Mountain (2005) follows the relationship that develops between two men, Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal). While their first sexual encounters take place in the outback area where the two men work, the film traces the ways in which they subsequently repress their mutual feelings within the homophobic small town environments in which they live; in spite of this, however, they maintain their friendship, intermittently reuniting at Brokeback Mountain.

Since this film centres on two ranch hands and is partly set in the wilderness, critical analysis inevitably tends to consider its relationship to the Western genre (Kitses, 2007; Spohrer, 2009). Often, attention focuses on the spaces of the film in relation to the binary oppositions commonly associated with the Western, such as that of civilisation and wilderness. Other studies examine representations of masculinity or homosexuality within the film (Barounis, 2009; Benshoff and Griffin, 2009; Boucher and Pinto, 2007; Harris 2007; McDonald, 2007; Perez, 2007). As the setting of Brokeback Mountain functions as metaphor for the homosexual relationship of the two protagonists, there is also commentary on the association between the landscape and their sexuality (Boyle, 2007; Todd, 2009). The primal nature of the mountain creates obvious opportunities for psychoanalytical readings in relation to sexuality. Occasionally, psychoanalytical readings implicate Kristeva’s notion of abjection (1982) in the social and cultural spaces of the film. For example, Ian Todd (2009) examines abjection in relation to the inside/outside dialectic of the homosexual ‘closet’. He further assigns Brokeback Mountain as abject because of its scenes of bodily transgression and violation. This article also textually analyses Brokeback Mountain with reference to Kristeva’s theory of abjection but extends these psychoanalytical readings. Firstly, it explores abjection in relation to subjectivity rather than focusing solely on its visceral aspects. Secondly, it draws upon Sibley’s (1995) Geographies of Exclusion (itself derived from Kristeva’s work) and his concept of ‘liminal zones’, negotiating the indeterminate nature of domestic interiors and small town space that the film presents. This re-reading of abjection within the film therefore correlates sexuality with setting, exploring the relationship between desire, space, and abjection. It suggests that Brokeback Mountain visually and narratively prioritises certain spaces, and organises them in a dialectical relationship that reflects aspects of homosexuality and its repression.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

full article...

http://www.jgcinema.org/pages/view.php?cat=articoli_dossier&id=374&id_film=164&id_dossier=22

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #647 on: October 06, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
Preserving Our Queer Legacy

The remarks below were delivered by Alan Poul upon receiving the Legacy Award at Wednesday night's (9/30) benefit for the Outfest Legacy Project at the Directors Guild of America. Outfest is Los Angeles' Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, and the Legacy Project is dedicated to the preservation and archiving of LGBT material. Poul was introduced by Laura Linney, with whom he worked on the three miniseries based on Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" books.

I was struck by the cover story in last Sunday's New York Times Magazine. In it, Benoit Denizet-Lewis chronicles the coming-out stories of middle school children in middle-America -- 14 and 15-year-olds in Oklahoma and Michigan -- and their fearlessness in announcing their sexual identity to parents and peers, even when many of them are not yet sexually active. Of course the Internet is the key component here: think you're a total misfit? Search and click on a link, and whoa! there's another person just like you. (I could have used that.)

But let's not underestimate the potency of complex narrative images, of LGBT lives portrayed with depth, with artistry, and with authenticity, in empowering and legitimizing young people to accept themselves.

When I was a kid, there was no such thing. My generation remembers desperately searching for images that would speak to the desires we were aware of from such an early age, and coming up with nothing -- at least, nothing that didn't end with Shirley MacLaine hanging herself. On television, we had to apply our own private decoder rings to relationships that hinted at something more than mere friendship -- to Felix and Oscar, to Laverne and Shirley, to the Skipper and Gilligan, with the Professor as an occasional third. It wasn't until I hit my teens in the seventies that genuine homoerotic images began to surface, and the first ones I saw were burned into my eyelids -- the Peter Finch/Murray Head kiss in "Sunday Bloody Sunday," at which my suburban Philadelphia audience recoiled in disgust; the careful, sweet embrace of two English boarding school students in Lindsay Anderson's "If....", the mutual groping of Barbara Hershey that Richard Thomas and Bruce Davison so enjoyed in "Last Summer."

These images were an inspiration and a life raft for me, and I want to protect them forever, even if they won't mean anything to most 13-year-olds today. There is a connection between the bravery it takes to come out, at any age, and our responsibility to preserve and restore LGBT imagery wherever we find it. It might not be direct -- it's unlikely that a self-doubting, tortured 13-year-old is going to find the strength to come out by watching "Sunday Bloody Sunday," or even "Parting Glances." But there's a link, and as we know, links are how we get our information these days. Link to link to link, we are creating a context for our visual and narrative history where until recently there was none. Somewhere there's a 13-year-old who'll appreciate these films, and I want him or her to have that access. That's why we archive.

My history with Outfest is long and happy. I joined the board in 1996, during a period when the festival was beginning its transition from a smaller, activist-oriented gathering to the huge, inclusive, industry-friendly celebration it has become. During my tenure, we saw the first great flowering of gay independent cinema, here and abroad, and Outfest films from those years include such landmarks as Lukas Moodysson's "Show Me Love," Tommy O'Haver's "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss," David Moreton's "Edge of Seventeen," Douglas Keeve's "Unzipped," John Greyson's "Lilies," Randy Barbato and Fenton Bailey's "Party Monster," Jeff Dupre's "Out of the Past," Michael Cuesta's "L.I.E.," Sandi Dubowski's "Trembling Before G-d," Cheryl Dunye's "The Watermelon Woman," and many others that have gone on to become classics -- and not just gay classics at that. I'm so proud of that list.

Our board helped shape Outfest, but even more, Outfest shaped my consciousness of what Los Angeles can be. More than any prior event, Outfest brought together the very diverse and often segregated LGBT communities of L.A. under one roof and gave us a chance to look at each other, to enjoy the same entertainment, to laugh and cry together, and to realize our combined strength. In a city that seems custom-designed for isolation and cliquishness, that was no mean feat.

I am currently developing a pilot for HBO, together with Carolyn Strauss, Lily Tomlin, Jane Wagner, John Hoffman, and Peggy Healey, based on the famous Ann Bannon novels of the 1950's. These were lesbian pulp fiction paperbacks, surprisingly popular in their day, with titles like "Odd Girl Out" and "Women in the Shadows." In doing research for the period, we are constantly hampered by the paucity of filmed material. Every frame of what exists must be preserved, and it's part of the mission of the Legacy Project, in managing the fabled One Foundation archives and other private archives which comprise home movies and other personal materials, that is so crucial in this area. Once this stuff decomposes, it's gone, and so is our history.

The word "legacy" is fraught with self-importance, but let's consider what it really means. A legacy is, simply, that which is handed down. Our own legacy, 50 years from now, is likely to consist largely of the narrative content that we are creating now, in our time. Yes, reality TV is full of fully-drawn gay characters, but, as everyone knows, reality doesn't repeat well. 50 years from now it's unlikely people will be watching the exploits of Christian Siriano. For better or worse, narrative fiction has the edge on shelf life. It's the record of the context of our times which we consciously create. "Milk" will last forever. "Brokeback" will last forever. Richard Hatch will not.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-poul/preserving-our-queer-lega_b_311511.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #648 on: October 08, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
Shepherding Romance

Reviving the Politics of Romantic Love in Brokeback Mountain

By BARBARA KOZIAK

[1] The recent film, Brokeback Mountain, directed by Ang Lee and based on Annie Proulx’s short story, received an overwhelmingly admiring response from newspaper and magazine film critics, won a series of prominent film awards, and roused a large, fervent fan base.  Several large on-line discussion forums created in the months following the film’s release analyze every scene, symbol, and character, and remain to this day communities with interests that have expanded beyond the film.  Coinciding with the emergence of You Tube and a new amateur video culture, fan enthusiasm created both lyrical tributes and hilarious parodies on video websites.  A mini-Brokeback tourist industry emerged, with one website devoting itself to mapping and photographing every shooting location for every scene.  These web-based responses culminated in net-generated cultural activism and even the popular naming of a new syndrome, “Brokeback Mountain Fever.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[34] In the end, what has elicited so many fans is certainly the deliberately etched romance narrative, and the density of the characterization, locale, and geography, that repay extensive interpretation and analysis.  It is also that combination of longing and grief, a communal experience of grief for two characters, which has affected viewers. Many people reported being sleepless the night after first seeing the film, going back to see it again and again, with each viewing revealing different dimensions, and for weeks finding themselves tossed by waves of grief as though they themselves were unrequitedly in love. The desire to understand the experience drove many to seek out forums to share the experience.  “Brokeback got us good,” Jack’s line to Ennis, would be the byline for the forums.  The heart of the “Ultimate Brokeback Forum” community (http://davecullen.com/forum), the largest forum, with over 7,000 registered members, resides in the topic threads devoted to every imaginable aspect of the film—every significant scene has its own topic; separate threads are devoted to, for example, symbolism, music, to every actor, and to “Brokeback Mountain Fever Support” and “How Brokeback Affected Me.”   Although other forums exist, including www.ennisjack.com, with more than 4,000 members, community.livejournal.com/wranglers, principally a slash forum for posting new writing that incorporates the original characters, with more than 2,000 members, and www.bettermost.net/forum, with 1200 members.  The David Cullen forum is the largest and the most active on a variety of fronts.  The community this forum created engaged in varied actions to recognize and disseminate the power of Brokeback, first by using small donations to pay for an advertisement run in the trade newspaper, Variety, reminding readers that even after the surprise Oscar loss, it was the most honored movie of the year.  Next, a campaign was launched to have members donate copies of the DVD to U.S. public libraries, especially rural libraries.  Finally, with volunteer editors, the group recently published Beyond Brokeback, a book compilation of the best forum posts about the personal effects of the film (Ultimate Brokeback Forum).

[35] The book in particular evinces the impact of the film as a romantic love story, but also as a galvanizer of personal and political action.  While forum participants are a self-selected group and their posts were further selected by volunteer editors, the book's pieces reflect the extraordinary combination of personal, emotional, and political transformation and engagement incited by the film.  The effect crossed sexualities of gay, straight, bisexual, or ambiguous, and some were inspired to search out old friends and lovers while others were inspired to quit jobs or seek therapy.  The most common general understanding of the film viewed it as a warning to those who had lost, or never found, courage or hope in various spheres of life—a warning about the half-life Ennis tried to live—but of course the most persistently noted loss was of transcending love.

[36] Many posters emphatically write about the place of romantic love in their own lives.  Some straight posters were newly dissatisfied with their marriages or, conversely, realized they had been taking their partners for granted; others took the step to leave their straight relationships and commit to same-sex partners.  For some gay men, the movie was a revelation of the possibilities of romantic love against the constrictions experienced even with a gay male culture of multiple short-term partners or else just an unexplained emotional constriction.  A gay, thirty-six-year-old journalist, for example, realized he had understood heterosexual love stories only intellectually, but with Brokeback he could finally feel the paradigm:  "Is this what mainstream love stories . . . feel like for heterosexuals?” (93). Similarly, a sixty-one-year-old man writes, "They've allowed me to feel what real love must feel like.  I was straight and married for seven years; after I had a gay partner for fifteen years, but no love, just settling.  Now I feel that I deserve to know what real love is” (210).  A forty-three-year-old man who in his youth engaged in an intense friendship with a male roommate writes, “I thought that coming out would remove the unseen obstacles and make finding love easier, but now . . . I see that hasn't been the case.  I've found plenty of this and that, but never anything approximating the heart-binder that started it all” (81).  Another gay man, happy enough in a secure, comfortable relationship, fell into a passionate love affair, eventually ending it to avoid hurting his partner.  Now, after seeing the film, he questions whether he made the right decision (82).  Thus some men were actually introduced for the first time to the paradigm scenario of romantic love.  Previously, they had been unable to identify with heterosexual stories, and the scenario was missing from their experience of gay culture.  Others who had experienced passionate love now had the transcendent value of love affirmed by the experience of the film.  At the same time, some straight viewers were reminded of the same paradigm but were able to identify or care for same-sex characters.  Thus, that old model of romantic love was resuscitated but in a communal context; people were talking about movie, and therefore often about love, en mass.

[37] The forum participants talked about love but seemed to come to the forum through a shared emotive experience.  These discussions were incited by a complex and multi-layered communal sharing of grief, longing, and joy, a potent mix of emotion dubbed "Brokeback Mountain Fever."  One poster described leaving the theater stunned and pulling off the road to cry (10). Another wrote that she "would wake up in the middle of the night with scenes and music from the movie in my head, weeping uncontrollably" (181).  The grief seemed to be both directed at the characters themselves, as many viewers felt a maternal affection for the two young lovers, or even a vicarious state of unrequited love for a character or the film as a whole, but this was also entangled with surprise grief from their own lives.  One poster describes a broad, encompassing grief that crosses demographic lines, saying the film “opened a bottomless well of sadness in them that they didn't know existed” (54).  In fact, as the poster notes, Annie Proulx thought that because of the recent death of his father, Ang Lee could evoke the dirge-like quality of the story.  At the same time, an erotic longing was mixed into this grief and precisely set the grounds for grief.  Probably the best articulation of this fever was posted by “Valkyrie:”  "After I saw the movie for the first time, I was stunned and could barely talk.  Images and scenes flashed through my mind.  I could hardly sleep.  And then it started: waves of pleasure rolled over me, sometimes like lightning flashes sizzling through my body, again and again . . . I kept seeing the love scenes repeatedly with my inner eyes.  And I started feeling aroused most of the time.  Sometimes I cried from grief and pain, but then the pleasure waves started again” (205).  Thus the film portrays not only the hoary romantic love narrative, but through its reconfiguration of elements, particularly I believe through its reconstitution of masculinity and its challenge to the heteronormativity of love, evokes a common audience response that recaptures the vicarious emotional feel of orthodox romantic love.  A significant audience, in other words, fell in love, passionately and bodily with the film, with the characters, and with the actors.  In the early days there was a rush to see the film over and over again, and the forum posters confessed or boasted of the number of their visits to the theater, some seeing the movie ten to twenty times.  A similar upsurge in viewings and interpretative dissections came with the release of the DVD in 2006 and the added bonus of being able to stop, rewind, capture, and manipulate images from the film.  Now posters are able to delve into the question of, for example, what Ennis and Jack whispered to each other at the start of the second tent scene (consensual answer:  Ennis: “I’m sorry.”  Jack: “It’s alright, it’s alright.”).  The obsession, the grief, and the longing, all components of “Brokeback Mountain Fever,” perfectly encapsulate the emotional experience of classical romantic love.

http://www.genders.org/g50/g50_koziak.html

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #649 on: October 10, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »
Shepherding Romance

Reviving the Politics of Romantic Love in Brokeback Mountain

By BARBARA KOZIAK

This is a most interesting article.
The first I've seen that actually attempts to describe (and explain?) us, our reactions to the film and our forum.

Thanks for posting it John!!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »
CALL FOR PAPERS

The Philosophy of Ang Lee
Edited by Robert Arp

Please send these two things to:        Robert Arp at:
robertarp...@gmail.com, by Nov. 1, 2009
(1)     A short, no more than 100 word abstract of a chapter you would
like to write for the book. In the abstract, you could simply say
something like, “In this paper I will argue X. First, I will do A…
Then, I will do B…  Finally, I will do C…”
(2)     A short CV that has your contact info (email, phone),
affiliation,
and a few publications, if you have any.
Again, send these two things to:        Robert Arp at:
robertarp...@gmail.com, by Nov. 1, 2009

Here are possible topics, but any related topic will be considered:
LOGIC
•       Fallacious Reasoning Utilized by Lee’s Characters
•       Feminist Logic and Sense Thinking vs. Sensible Thinking
•       One Last Ride and the Logic the Gambler Utilizes
METAPHYSICS
•       Eastern Philosophical Themes in Ang Lee’s Work
•       The Place of God in Lee’s Work
•       Taking Woodstock, Inadvertent Actions, and Fate/Determinism
•       Brokeback Mountain, Homosexuality, and Personhood
•       Se, Jie or Eat Drink, Man Woman and Philosophies of Love
•       Hulk, Personal Identity, and Identity over Time
•       The Ice Storm and the Distinction between Psychopathology and
a
Healthy Personality
•       Sense, Sensibility, and the Definition of Conscious States
•       The Wedding Banquet, Humor, and Cartharsis in the Human Psyche
EPISTEMOLOGY
•       Taking Woodstock’s Historical Accuracy, Conflicting Testimony,
and
Justification for Claims
•       Bruce Banner, Hulk, Sense, and Reference
•       Feminist Epistemology and “Sense-ing” Perception vs.
“Sensible” Perception
•       Perceived Alienation in Lee’s Films
•       Perceiver, Perception, and Perceived in Lee’s Work
ETHICS
•       Brokeback Mountain and the Ethics of Homosexuality
•       The Hands of Shang-Chi, Virtue Ethics, and Parental Role
Models
•       The Ice Storm, Free Love, and the Ethics of Sex
•       Taking Woodstock, and a Comparison of the Ethics of the 50s
and the
60s in the US
•       Film as a Crucial Element in Telling Morality Tales
•       Hulk, and “If Science Can Do It, Then Science Ought To Do It”
•       Hulk, Supervillains, and the Idea that Absolute Power Corrupts
Absolutely
•       Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Character, and Virtue Ethics
•       One Last Ride and Utilitarian Reasons for Gambling
•       Utilitarian vs. Deontological Approaches in Lee’s Work
POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
•       Brokeback Mountain and Gay Rights
•       Film as an Essential medium for Public Discussion
•       Hulk and the Obsession with Superheroes
•       Ride with the Devil and the History of Slavery
•       Ride with the Devil and the Philosophical Justifications for
the US Civil War
•       The Ice Storm and the Political Philosophy of Early 70s US

http://groups.google.com/group/philosophy-updates/browse_thread/thread/ff952b25b2744993?pli=1[/url

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #651 on: October 22, 2009, 06:33:04 AM »
Is whoever writes the scripts for the medical series "House" a Brokie?

It certainly seems likely:

This weeks episode shown on Sky 1 in the UK:

Dr House: I quit.

Dr Foreman: You can't quit.

Dr House: Aren't you confusing me with Jake Gyllenhaal?

That certainly sounds like a real Brokie comment to me :D :D :D
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
Spaces of Desire: Liminality and Abjection in Brokeback Mountain

by Fran Pheasant-Kelly
full article...

http://www.jgcinema.org/pages/view.php?cat=articoli_dossier&id=374&id_film=164&id_dossier=22
A  few thought-provoking thoughts therefrom --

"~Since this film centres on two ranch hands and is partly set in the wilderness, critical analysis inevitably tends to consider its relationship to the Western genre (Kitses, 2007; Spohrer, 2009). ~ "  Huh.  And, for those who don't believe her, she provides references.

"~ In Revolution in Poetic Language (1984), she explains that the maternal world, which she refers to as the semiotic chora~"  Damn!  I knew I should a stuck around till I was a sophomore, sos I could understand stuff like that.

Thank God for modern  literature departments, and those who live in them.  How much poorer our lives would be without them!!
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #653 on: October 25, 2009, 08:07:46 AM »
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #654 on: October 25, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »
thanks for posting it!
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #655 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »
i can't watch it without crying, but it's so good...and i like the way she uses the original soundtrack, and doesn't rry to match it up with more modern crap...
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #656 on: November 06, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
The 100 Best Films of the Decade

Art house or Blockbuster? Juno or Jason Bourne? Is The Bourne Supremacy really better than Brokeback Mountain? And if Finding Nemo made it, what the hell happened to Shrek? Tell us where we got it wrong, or right, and post your alternative lists below

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article6902642.ece

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #657 on: November 18, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/the-most-important-films-of-the-decade/#comment-158795

Where is the mention of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in all this? Not a word about Ang Lee?
What on earth is this guy writing about? It can't be about the Best Films of the Decade if he failed to
include BBM. Ergo the article is jibberish.
So why did I include it?
Simply because I wanted you guys to see it and perhaps post a comment or two or three on
the NY Times website, as I have.
"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #658 on: November 21, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Do you know what I feel like posting here?    Today I watched a brilliant film. It was about two young men, who against all odds found one another and fell passionately in love with each other. Everything was against them right from the start. People ,geography and promises made to others. But love endured and after a break of four years they met again and the spark was still there. Many years passed without the dreams of one of them ever coming to fruition and the other one totally lost in life. What solved the problem was one of them had got killed. Maybe accident maybe not.  The remaining man went to the others ranch to offer condolences..but was not very well received by one member of the family. He was offered the chance to go and see his "friends room. There he found hidden, two shirts,interlocked inside each other. The shirt hidden inside the blue shirt was one the visiting man thought he had lost years ago. Neither of the men realised or even admitted what they had felt for each other..just called it   "this thing"...but at that moment ...in that small bare room... it was given a name....LOVE.

This is how I view "Brokeback Mountain".  May be too simplistic but some times I feel all the beauty is being stripped away. I understand that the forum is so we can get beneath the skin of BBM and try to understand it a little better. But some times I have to step back and just "see" the film and its story.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:09:45 PM by suelyblu »
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?