The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 591199 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #810 on: June 08, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
No, leave the poor guy alone. 

Ok. I'll stick with beans fixin' BBM misquotes.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #811 on: June 08, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »
i've been looking for this everywhere...

some special effects done in the movie, backed by the Shawshank soundtrack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPw5plmkd6Q
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #812 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks!
I found this a couple of years ago, I think on the website of the company that did the FX and have been unable to locate it since.
I didn't now it was up on youtube.
G

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #813 on: June 08, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
The company website is still online, but the videos on the site are too small and hard to find.

http://www.buzzimage.com/

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #814 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:45 PM »
Quote from bcj today (partial):
"What made Brokeback Mountain work wasn’t so much the conflict of western/gay storylines was the fact that it was a pure love story, regardless of context. Star-crossed lovers is an internal story, but delivered with the casual yet devastating drawl of the now deceased Heath Ledger, it will last forever."

Wow - I couldn't agree with you more on this!!  Thx, john, for posting these things.  
And - how could anyone not remember "I wish I knew how to quit you"?  
kathy   :)

p.s.  And - I will always believe that those two "authors" (??) - Isola and the no-name coward blogger - are jackasses. >:D  
What they wrote is pure trash and anti-BBM all the way.   >:(

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:34:25 PM by kathy »
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #815 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

And - how could anyone not remember "I wish I knew how to quit you"? 

The same way they remember "Play it again, Sam".  They never saw the movie.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #816 on: June 08, 2010, 10:33:05 PM »
The same way they remember "Play it again, Sam".  They never saw the movie.

John - That is exactly what I thought (never saw it) from the beginning! 
kathy 
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #817 on: June 09, 2010, 12:44:25 AM »
I found that many of the writer’s points, overall, had merit.
I did not. 
Perhaps I should have been less generous...  ::)

Quote from: garyd
I also did not find anything "snide or insulting" regarding either the film or the SS. ~
Neither did I.
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #818 on: June 09, 2010, 01:30:07 AM »
quote from that essay:
-----------------------------------
Proulx’s deployment of a fluid textuality, as in the tent sex scene, spares the narrative the contentious charge of prurience to
which it would be prey, if not prone, if the act of anal penetration was narrated using more revealing quotidian sexual language like erection,
penis, cock, asshole, etc.

----------------------------------

Which makes no sense when you consider what A.P. actually wrote:

Ennis ran full throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he
wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his erect cock.
His statement still stands up, though.

Proulx provides only the barest of necessary information about what's actually going on.
"He wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his limp member" would have been, as the initiating event, a nonsense. :D
And she doesn't tell us with what part of his body Ennis “entered him,” either.
I guess she just wanted to get the entire thing out of the way as quickly as possible, and move on.

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #819 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

And she doesn't tell us with what part of his body Ennis “entered him,” either.

Indeed, and as we often remind ourselves, AP provides us with the “long bones” of the story and we, the reader, are expected to supply the appropriate “soft tissue”.  Quite apt in this case.

Taking into consideration Ennis’ implied homosexual inexperience (not to mention his shared patriarchal heteronormative privilege),  in conjunction with the absence of any sort of instruction manual, it is still possible, I believe, for the reader to eliminate certain apertures (aural and olfactory for example) as the locus of penetration  

Furthermore, Jack’s exclamation of the distinctly non-quotidian  “guns goin’ off” at a rather climactic moment in the scene negates the assumption that the exclamation is either nugatory or in compliance with “Isolan” aquatic trope deployment (much less  fluviographic poetics) though the latter is, perhaps, best addressed separately.  
Indeed, Jack’s apparent oral communication facilities imply, (in the absence of any evidence that he is a student of Demosthenean elocution techniques,) his oral aperture to be free from obstruction.  
By process of apertural elimination, this leaves the reader with scant choice but to settle upon the decidedly prurient prone “asshole”.  

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #820 on: June 10, 2010, 04:50:29 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Indeed, and as we often remind ourselves, AP provides us with the “long bones” of the story and we, the reader, are expected to supply the appropriate “soft tissue”.  Quite apt in this case.
Agreed. But she does, even with the long bones, provide room for lots of possible interpretations.

Taking into consideration Ennis’ implied homosexual inexperience (not to mention his shared patriarchal heteronormative privilege),  in conjunction with the absence of any sort of instruction manual, it is still possible, I believe, for the reader to eliminate certain apertures (aural and olfactory for example) as the locus of penetration.
While she doesn’t specify apertures, she does leave sufficient space for a reader to work out for him/herself into what part of Jack Ennis is entering.
You suggest that the reader could possibly eliminate the aural and olfactory apertures (to which I’ll refer in a moment), but omitted the visual.

Although it’s new to me, me being who I am (I really must get out more), I do believe that the phrase “fucked in the eye” is used, according to the Urban Dictionary, to describe “the feeling that someone has literally removed your eyeball, and inserted their genitalia into your gaping socket for their own enjoyment, with minimal concern for yourself.”
Well, that sort of “fits” with what’s, presumably, going on.

As far as ear or nasal penetration are concerned (I mention penetration because that describes what happens when someone enters something [e.g. He entered the room; he entered Jack]), there are, apparently, some who actually indulge in such antics.
(I refrain from going into details, for obvious reasons.)
And I doubt an instruction manual is needed, human nature being what it is. *
Who would have thought Proulx was covering all bases with her skeletonic writing...  :D

Furthermore, Jack’s exclamation of the distinctly non-quotidian  “guns goin’ off” at a rather climactic moment in the scene negates the assumption that the exclamation is either nugatory or in compliance with “Isolan” aquatic trope deployment (much less fluviographic poetics) though the latter is, perhaps, best addressed separately.  
I don't think anyone would assume his exclamation was “nugatory.”
But considering what’s (presumably) being fired (unless the chamber was empty, of course) from Jack’s “gun” (and we’re not told if anything was fired anyway), it could be any number of possible liquids and/or semi-liquids (tears, nasal discharge, saliva, earwax and so forth...) or solids (where was the rifle at this moment?).

Indeed, Jack’s apparent oral communication facilities imply, (in the absence of any evidence that he is a student of Demosthenean elocution techniques,) his oral aperture to be free from obstruction.  
I detect a setup, here.  :o
Proulx clearly writes that Jack’s “gun’s goin off” was “choked.”
 :D :D :D

By process of apertural elimination, this leaves the reader with scant choice but to settle upon the decidedly prurient prone “asshole”.  
I tend to disagree; it seems that there’s more to Proulx’s writing than meets the “eye.”
She’s just too, too vague and elusive to provide her readers with an accurate picture of what’s actually going on.  ;)
------------
* I recall a rather unorthodox method of entering someone in Warhol's Flesh for Frankenstein.   ::)

unanimous

« Reply #821 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:56 AM »
In the s/s, after Ennis nails the postcard above his beloved shirts:

"He stepped back and looked at the ensemble through a few stinging tears."
"'Jack, I swear-' he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind."

What would Ennis want to swear, except his undying love for Jack Twist.

It wrenches the heart right out of my chest.

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #822 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed. But she does, even with the long bones, provide room for lots of possible interpretations.
Apparently.
Although it’s new to me, me being who I am (I really must get out more), I do believe that the phrase “fucked in the eye” is used,
This is what I love about the DC forum.  There is always something new to be learned.
While I am intimately familiar with the concept of the "mind fuck", its visual cousin is, heretofore, foreign to me.
I am assuming, however, that the "eye fuck" is similar in effect to being forced to view hidden video footage of
Larry King and Betty While copulating.

I detect a setup, here.  :o
Proulx clearly writes that Jack’s “gun’s goin off” was “choked.”
Good catch.
Just when one is confident that AP, and the mystery that is BBM,  has finally been deciphered, the woman
inserts another bit of quicksilver.

* I recall a rather unorthodox method of entering someone in Warhol's Flesh for Frankenstein.   ::)

Oh dear, I thought the WHO had declared this scurge eradicated and now I find that it
has popped up down under.
The horror.
G
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:11:43 PM by garyd »

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #823 on: June 10, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
In the s/s, after Ennis nails the postcard above his beloved shirts:

"He stepped back and looked at the ensemble through a few stinging tears."
"'Jack, I swear-' he said, though Jack had never asked him to swear anything and was himself not the swearing kind."

What would Ennis want to swear, except his undying love for Jack Twist.

It wrenches the heart right out of my chest.

Unanimous, your posts really fit much better in the "Scenes" section of the forum, there has been quite a bit of discussion about what Ennis means by "I swear."

I have given you several links, it's really easy to navigate "Scenes."

You would find a lot more discission of your posts there.

Another alternative might be "favorite quotes" (which can be found here in the "film and book" neighborhood.)

Now that your feet are wet, it's the perfect time to branch out to the specific threads.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

unanimous

« Reply #824 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
My apology. This board seemed so friendly.