The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 594365 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #885 on: July 04, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »

regarding the BBM posters being taken down (were they signed? maybe they were stolen by fans!)... i wonder how many people complained about them. you know how those vocal homophobes can be, unafraid to say what pisses them off... i understand that on the word cloud making www.wordle.net website, people (teachers) email to ask the site owner to remove the "SEXSMITH" font, because "children" use the website. ::)

A couple of years ago there was a problem with internet filters blocking sites like "Essexville, Michigan" and "Middlesex", etc.

There's a unique BBM poster in the Different Light Bookstore on Castro Street, I've never seen one like it anywhere else. It's still hanging up. You can see it as soon as you walk in the door.

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #886 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
What does the poster look like?  Is it real different...I would love to see it. 
kathy   

(I'm sad to hear that any BBM posters have been taken down.  Damn!!)   
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline kathy

• Obsessed
  • ...just like this...always
« Reply #887 on: July 05, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
I don't know where to post this, but I'll try here in the general discussion:

There was a post a week or two ago that stated "even AP had changed her views on the (BBM) story".
I never heard this - could someone enlighten me or direct me to the correct forum?  It must have been a misunderstanding on my part; just can't believe she would ever change her views on BBM.

kathy   ???
"Tell you what...the truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it".

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #888 on: July 07, 2010, 03:46:33 PM »
John, that's sad news about the stairs in Fort McLeod, and the posters.

I guess as time goes by, more and more of the movie sites will change and/or deteriorate.
I wish there was a way we could preserve them for present and future brokies.
It's such an extraordinary experience to actually be there and see them with your own eyes.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #889 on: July 07, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
I understand what you're saying Sonja, but realistically, what can be done?

I'm sure there are many many films who have had the locations and sets disappear.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #890 on: July 07, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
Maybe someone at Travel Alberta would be interested in this.

Travel Alberta is the official destination marketing organization for the province of Alberta. Funded by the Government of Alberta through the four per cent Tourism Levy on visitor accommodation,  we promote Alberta as a tourist destination regionally, nationally, and internationally to increase the number of visitors to and within Alberta

Fort Macleod, 30 minutes west of Lethbridge, provided settings for Brokeback Mountain and the new film Passchendaele, to be released in late 2008. The town of 3,000 has maintained its historic Main Street, most of which dates back to the early 20th century to complement the replica of its namesake, the 1880s-era North West Mounted Police fort.

As you drive into town, follow the signs that lead you to Main Street. You can park near the Red Coat Inn, where casts and crews for the two movies stayed, between 3rd and 4th Avenues across from IGA. We’ll start the walking tour here.

* Walk down Main Street, turn right on Third Avenue (AKA Archie McLean Avenue), where you’ll find the Photo Plus/The Source Apartment Building. From the street, you’ll see the staircase leading to Ennis and Alma’s apartment. A poster commemorates the controversial Brokeback smooch scene.

http://www.travelalberta.com/en/ConsumerContent/Pages/Reel-Adventures-Saddles-and-Sidetrips.aspx

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #891 on: July 07, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
THE IMPACT OF THE COLD WAR ON THE REPRESENTATION OF WHITE MASCULINITY IN HOLLYWOOD FILM

By
WILLIAM MICHAEL KIRKLAND

A Dissertation submitted to the Program in Interdisciplinary Humanities in partial fulfillment of the
requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy

Though many post-Cold War films such as The Manchurian Candidate challenge the traditional representation of heterosexual, white masculinity, there are two in particular that ably conclude this study. The first example is Brokeback Mountain (2005). The West and the frontier had such a great impact on American culture and had enabled Hollywood to co-opt the western genre for political purposes. It also served as the ideal place where heterosexual, white masculinity could be idealized. That masculinity, though often violent and racist, served as the model masculinity for decades. Brokeback Mountain contests the notion of how that ideal white masculinity had to also mean heterosexual masculinity. By using the western genre to contest heterosexual, white masculinity, the film artistically challenges the norm much like how Midnight Cowboy and The Electric Horseman did.

http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-12172009-214822/unrestricted/Kirkland_W_Dissertation_2010.pdf

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #892 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »

alma (thinking): oh dear... i better get the
landlord out here to have a look at those stairs.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #893 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:26 AM »
I don't know where to post this, but I'll try here in the general discussion:

There was a post a week or two ago that stated "even AP had changed her views on the (BBM) story".
I never heard this - could someone enlighten me or direct me to the correct forum?  It must have been a misunderstanding on my part; just can't believe she would ever change her views on BBM.

kathy   ???

i might be able to help you if you could direct me to your original source. i *think* i saw that post too. i think annie was just kvetching about all the madness surrounding bbm. people rewriting the story, sending her stuff, obsessing over it, plus all the references to BBM as if it's the only work she's done that counts. i think when she goes anywhere, the questions always turn to brokeback... you know, usual stuff that happens when you write something and it really stands out. in this case, it probably stood out mostly because the movie that followed her story was so fucking good. :D not saying that the short story isn't amazing, but you know how it goes. it "blows up"...

maybe it's like this: if i were a gay artist and spent years painting male nudes, and i did a female nude, and that single painting catapulted me to fame, and the image wound up on calendars and playing cards everywhere, and there were spin offs and spoofs.... and then, model that made it famous died.......  i would probably be a bit irked. ;D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #894 on: July 08, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »

I'm sure there are many many films who have had the locations and sets disappear.

most sets disappear for sure.... but not mt. rushmore, in north by northwest. ;)

what can be done? treat the stairs like the london bridge.

but the damn stairs off the owner and have them rebuilt somewhere else, like hello.... at the autry. or other movie museum. :D  i'm sure the stairs would be cheaper than the shirts!

or just build a replica? nawww..  that's alike a stuffed tiger in a museum vs. a real tiger in a zoo. :P

i can't help but think that the reunion stairs are being ruined because rabid brokie fans go there and jump up and down for joy once they realize they're in the spot where ennis and jack stood. i bet that stairway's seen 6 tons of traffic since 2006, shoooooooooo. ::)

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #895 on: July 08, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »
i might be able to help you if you could direct me to your original source. i *think* i saw that post too. i think annie was just kvetching about all the madness surrounding bbm. people rewriting the story, sending her stuff, obsessing over it, plus all the references to BBM as if it's the only work she's done that counts. i think when she goes anywhere, the questions always turn to brokeback... you know, usual stuff that happens when you write something and it really stands out. in this case, it probably stood out mostly because the movie that followed her story was so fucking good. :D not saying that the short story isn't amazing, but you know how it goes. it "blows up"...

Moreover,
1)  AP expressed other regrets over writing BBM, had in fact become fed up with the resentment/slights/gratuitous condemnation that she received from some groups of Wyoming-ites, e.g., the  'upright citizens brigades,' regarding the tortured picture her work painted  about the state's denizens, particularly its ranchers... I believe she cited their 'abysmal behavior towards her as one of the factors in her decision to leave her beloved Wyoming... 

-Seems ironic to me that the person who brought the poison of  DRH to the forefront managed to get a taste of it, herself (?!)

2) Another change for AP was her attitude toward fiction writers who fall in love with their characters, which she originally thought was disgusting (don't recall the exact term she used)..  AP later recanted, admitting in an interview that she had indeed fallen hopelessly in love her own characters, with, not one, but  both BBM leads...

3)  AP never regretted writing the story, or so she says,  but later she came to regard it as a completely-closed chapter in her career, and wouldn't even consider writing a sequel/screenplay, not for love or money.. -She told Charlie Rose (?) that the whole process was just too hard on her and she felt she needed to leave BBM and move on... She wasn't a screenplay artist or a director (-what if she was? -- would that have made any difference?)...

4) There were other factors, too, I can't recall them at the moment...

maybe it's like this: if i were a gay artist and spent years painting male nudes, and i did a female nude, and that single painting catapulted me to fame, and the image wound up on calendars and playing cards everywhere, and there were spin offs and spoofs.... and then, model that made it famous died.......  i would probably be a bit irked. ;D

-Good analogy!   8)

"'Democracy' is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch... 'Liberty' is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.'' -Benjamin Franklin

tonydude

« Reply #896 on: July 08, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »
  There should be a "Save the Stairs" campaign amongst Brokies.  I mean, how much could this cost, especially if some volunteered to salvage and store them, until there was a rightful permanent home?
  I think it should be two-fold:  cart off the original stairs, dis-assembled, and then treated for wood rot and stored; rebuild with replacement stairs, free of charge to the owner, for later tourists.
  There are more than a few Brokies who live within 500 miles of that site, from the different forums, and, unless am totally witless, a project of that kind could be under $3,000, if care were taken to keep costs down.

Offline atticusdad

• Virgin
« Reply #897 on: July 08, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »
  There should be a "Save the Stairs" campaign amongst Brokies. 

I ran across a campaign to save the stairs in another website:

http://bbmfoundation.org/forum/index.php?topic=174.msg2772#msg2772

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #898 on: July 08, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »

I know.....

But to us, BBM is not like any other film, so I still wish something could be done.

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #899 on: July 08, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
I don't think the stairs should be taken somewhere else and replaced.

They should be preserved for damage to the wood, and stay right where they are!

The experience of seeing them where they belong, both sets of stairs, the laundromat wall, the door, the parking lot, can never be the same in a different place. It's not just the stairs, it's the whole building and its surroundings!!