The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 598419 times)

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2535 on: December 13, 2018, 04:06:11 PM »
^^^^ Amen.. I never thought I'd live long enough to see BBM added to the LoC collection!!  Here's to "I wish I knew how to quit you!" V

:) :) :) Amen is right.
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2536 on: December 13, 2018, 04:34:02 PM »
YES!

Really, this is quite remarkable. It was eligible after ten years and I'm pretty sure only two films made
the list when they were first eligible. This is only three years later!

BRAVO!

This is the entire list.
It's a great list overall this year, IMO!

Here's the whole list:

Films Selected for the 2018 National Film Registry
(alphabetical order)

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
    Broadcast News (1987)
    Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    Cinderella (1950)
    Days of Wine and Roses (1962)
    Dixon-Wanamaker Expedition to Crow Agency (1908)
    Eve’s Bayou (1997)
    The Girl Without a Soul (1917)
    Hair Piece: A Film for Nappy-Headed People (1984)
    Hearts and Minds (1974)
    Hud (1963)
    The Informer (1935)
    Jurassic Park (1993)
    The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
    Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
    Monterey Pop (1968)
    My Fair Lady (1964)
    The Navigator (1924)
    On the Town (1949)
    One-Eyed Jacks (1961)
    Pickup on South Street (1953)
    Rebecca (1940)
    The Shining (1980)
    Smoke Signals (1998)
    Something Good – Negro Kiss (1898)

And the official announcement on the National Film Registry site.

The National Film Registry Turns 30!
'Brokeback Mountain,' 'Jurassic Park,' 'My Fair Lady' Among the Titles Added

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-18-144/library-of-congress-national-film-registry-turns-30/2018-12-12/

"Two contemporary Western dramas headline this year’s list: the 1961 “One-Eyed Jacks,” Marlon Brando’s only directorial endeavor, and Ang Lee’s critically acclaimed “Brokeback Mountain.” Released in 2005, “Brokeback Mountain” also has the distinction of becoming the newest film on the registry while the 1891 “Newark Athlete” is the oldest."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2537 on: December 13, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »

I want to thank everyone who's sent their nominations to the NFR the past three years!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2538 on: December 13, 2018, 11:58:50 PM »
^^^^ Amen.. I never thought I'd live long enough to see BBM added to the LoC collection!!  Here's to "I wish I knew how to quit you!" V

Vincent, Diana Ossana said over on Facebook that it is the youngest movie to ever make it into the collection. This says so much about this amazing film.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2539 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
^^^^ WOW.  That sums it up!  TY for reminding us to nominate it. 
Ossana and Lee must be flying high!  I feel *@(*@ vindicated and proud that we ran that Variety Ad all those many years ago now.  What a ride.  I do not think or have heard of the fans of any film since doing that.  V. 

Offline Marc R

• Virgin
« Reply #2540 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19:23 PM »
I've rejoined the forum after an absence of several years.  I think there used to be a Fan Fiction thread, but I can't find it.  Any suggestions on where it might be?

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #2541 on: January 11, 2020, 06:17:34 AM »
HI Marc, welcome back.  Here's the link

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?board=77.0
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2542 on: March 28, 2020, 11:12:00 AM »
This is a new article from this year. Most of us already know a lot of what is in the article, but a couple of the things were new to me. Just thought I'd share it.

I Wish I Knew How To Quit You: 10 Behind-The-Scenes About Brokeback Mountain

https://screenrant.com/brokeback-mountain-behind-the-scenes-wish-knew-how-quit-you/
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2543 on: March 29, 2020, 11:29:11 AM »
^^^ very good article.  Did not know the last one about Lee's brush with quitting the business before BBM. 
Newman and Redford or Cliff would have done well - but there's no way BBM could have been made in 1960's.  :(
Damon and Affleck may, just maybe, could have pulled it off...

BTW, the comments on the shirts surprised me.  Weren't the shirts donated to The Autry Museum in Griffith Park?  https://theautry.org/

I do not recall if they were on loan or became a permanent donation now. I dropped a few photos from that visit there into the link below.  Since I do not post photos often, yell if I didn't do it right.  The link should take you directly to the folder.

There are some photos of members and one of John.  If you do not want me me posting these here, PM and I'll remove them.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AKGFT6ITp469uUM&id=A75411BC0F411E5B%21284716&cid=A75411BC0F411E5B

V.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:51:15 PM by gattaca »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2544 on: March 29, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
^^^

Loved seeing those photos!!!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2545 on: March 29, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
Love the article, too!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2546 on: March 29, 2020, 03:22:25 PM »
^^^ very good article.  Did not know the last one about Lee's brush with quitting the business before BBM. 
Newman and Redford or Cliff would have done well - but there's no way BBM could have been made in 1960's.  :(
Damon and Affleck may, just maybe, could have pulled it off...

BTW, the comments on the shirts surprised me.  Weren't the shirts donated to The Autry Museum in Griffith Park?  https://theautry.org/

I do not recall if they were on loan or became a permanent donation now. I dropped a few photos from that visit there into the link below.  Since I do not post photos often, yell if I didn't do it right.  The link should take you directly to the folder.

There are some photos of members and one of John.  If you do not want me me posting these here, PM and I'll remove them.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AKGFT6ITp469uUM&id=A75411BC0F411E5B%21284716&cid=A75411BC0F411E5B

V.

Hi Vincent. I hope you are well.
The shirts were only on loan to the Autry by Tom Gregory and I'd heard that he had since taken them back, but I did go to the Autry Museum site and it has a currently on view exhibit that states that the shirts are on view in this exhibit

Ted and Marian Craver
Imagination Gallery
Now on View
The Autry in Griffith Park

Almost every iconic cowboy—including William S. Hart, Bill Pickett, Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Duncan Renaldo, James Arness, John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood—is represented in the gallery. Such cowgirls as Patsy Montana, Betty Hutton, and Katharine Hepburn are also represented, as well as artifacts and posters from Thelma and Louise (1991) and the iconic shirts from Brokeback Mountain (2005).
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2547 on: March 29, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »
This is a new article from this year. Most of us already know a lot of what is in the article, but a couple of the things were new to me. Just thought I'd share it.

I Wish I Knew How To Quit You: 10 Behind-The-Scenes About Brokeback Mountain

https://screenrant.com/brokeback-mountain-behind-the-scenes-wish-knew-how-quit-you/

Thanks for sharing this, Auntie.  It will be in TDS on Tuesday.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2548 on: March 29, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
Thanks Vincent and Lyle.
I'm so glad to see that articles are still being written about Brokeback Mountain even 15 years later.

I am still in contact with Gregory Hinton and he was in the process of trying to get a celebration together to commemorate the 15th anniversary, but I would imagine all the virus ramifications have put this on hold.

Bryon from Mandance was also going to put a program together as well. I still have to speak to him to see what is going to happen.
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2549 on: March 29, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »
^^^ That would be SO awesome, it would be something positive to look forward to during these unknown times.. Gut says things are freezing up for 6 months or more...we can hope for Dec 2020.  Everyone, wash your hands, stay safe and stay away from everyone. V
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:58:59 PM by gattaca »