The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 394502 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2565 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
The tagline on the poster, We're all gay ...in the old-fashioned way, and the short plot-synopsis, make it sound like some anti-gay thing. The synopsis: A man finds himself alone in the mountains to ponder what happened being separated from his wife and children for years. He finds God and Jesus.

From looking up the name of the "Director/Writer/Star", John Birmingham, he seems like some kind of person like Sascha Baron Cohen, pushing comedic boundaries of taste, but I can't tell from this brief look where his sensibilities lie, but so far this is all very suspicious to me. He seems to have been born in Britain, but moved to Australia.

I didn't read this review or story idea, whatever it is.  But, I will admit from the brief snippet description that I read above, this guy's story idea sounds really stupid and has nothing to do with the plot of the short story or of Ang Lee's film.  This would be like making a movie about a wealthy, middle-age, legally married, heterosexual opposite-sex couple who end up stranded on a desert island after surviving a passenger airplane crash in 1950 and calling it "TITANIC: Part II", which would be a totally stupid, absurd and pointless idea.  Ang Lee's "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" (2005) doesn't need a sequel and neither does James Cameron's "TITANIC" (1997), in my opinion.  They're both great films, again in my opinion.  Let both of these movies stand on their own merits.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:52:32 PM by B.W. »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2566 on: September 15, 2020, 09:50:36 PM »

This year marks the 15th anniversary of the release of Brokeback Mountain.

I'm not sure if there would be enough interest in this to start it's own thread, but let's be conscious of this date, and post whatever new stories we find about BBM.

I found one tonight.

A Look Back At The 2005 TIFF Premiere Of ‘Brokeback Mountain’

By RACHEL WEST. 10 Sep 2020

“Brokeback Mountain” held its North American premiere in Toronto on Sept. 10, 2005. Take a look back at the late Heath Ledger, Michelle Williams, Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway as they made the rounds during the festival. Directed by Ang Lee, the groundbreaking film would later arrive in theatres in Canada on Dec. 23, 2005 before going on to earn eight Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture.

https://etcanada.com/photos/686249/a-look-back-at-the-2005-tiff-premiere-of-brokeback-mountain/#image-686261

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2567 on: September 16, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »

Yes!  The seeds of things to come were planted when it premiered at TIFF and it was announced the Winner at the Venice Film Festival!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2568 on: September 16, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
The article in The Daily Variety that the forum took out after Brokeback Mountain lost as Best Picture at the Oscars. This was in March 2006.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2569 on: September 16, 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
One of the many articles published about the ad that was taken out by the forum.
The New York Times

MEDIA TALK

Upset 'Brokeback' Fans Advertise Their Feelings
By Stuart Elliott
March 13, 2006

Fans of the film "L.A. Confidential" did not take out advertisements in entertainment publications after it lost the best picture Academy Award to "Titanic." It did not happen when "Goodfellas" lost to "Dances With Wolves" or even when "Citizen Kane" lost to "How Green Was My Valley."

But after "Brokeback Mountain" lost the best picture Oscar to "Crash," more than 800 fans -- participants in an online discussion group known as the Ultimate Brokeback Forum -- chipped in more than $24,000 to buy a full-page ad in Daily Variety. The ad, which ran Friday, thanked the makers of the movie "for transforming countless lives through the most honored film of the year."

"I felt we had to do something," said Dave Cullen, a journalist in Denver who bought the ad after setting up several Brokeback sites, at addresses including brokeback.davecullen.com. "People were distraught, upset, angry; they couldn't believe it."

A poster who goes by Texas Girl suggested buying the ad, he said, and after some discussion that they protest the "Crash" victory, the forum participants decided to run "a positive ad."

Charles C. Koones, president and publisher of Daily Variety and Variety, owned by Reed Elsevier, said, " 'Brokeback' really touched a chord with certain audiences. There are those in Hollywood who feel it was robbed." Although his publications have run fan group ads in the past, they typically urged networks not to cancel favorite TV series.

Mr. Cullen said that the Daily Variety ad cost $15,435, adding that contributors were discussing what to do with the leftover money.

Mr. Koones offered this advice: "You need another ad."

STUART ELLIOTT

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2570 on: September 16, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the additions, Auntie!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2571 on: September 16, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
You are more than welcome, Chuck. I still have copies of the Variety Ad complete papers. I also have the Newsweek magazine that has the small article about our ad. I've looked for it online, but can't find it. I need to dig for it in my huge bin that has all my Brokeback stuff in it. If I get a chance I'll dig it out and take a picture of it and post it.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2572 on: September 16, 2020, 06:32:41 PM »
^^^^ TY.. I SO remember that Ad and our campaign.... It was then and shall always remain special.

Also, don't forget UBF also had a smaller "DVD/Book campaign" delivering DVDs of BBM (or copies of AP's book "Close Range") to as many libraries as possible with funding and gifts. Most I spoke with accepted and many preferred the book b/c they didn't have DVD checkouts.  I recall 2 that I spoke with refused either donation and 1 of those was quite ugly about it.

Funny, I traveled near one of the locations ~ 10 years ago and stopped in. I located AP's "Close Range" and sure enough the copy had the notation that it was donated by "The Ultimate Brokeback Forum" inside the front cover.  Maybe some of the best things we did in what now feels like eons ago will help some kid find their way in the future. Take Care.  Stay safe.  Stay alive.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:47:43 AM by gattaca »

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2573 on: Yesterday at 05:50:59 PM »
The article in The Daily Variety that the forum took out after Brokeback Mountain lost as Best Picture at the Oscars. This was in March 2006.

Hi Linda....it's me...Suely !

Do you know if there were any copies made of this ad ....or posters or anything ?

I would dearly love to own one. I was about a year behind joining this forum
perhaps even longer and at the time knew nothing about the ad. But after seeing
it and after hearing about for so many years now....... I would love a copy/poster
or whatever.
Hope you can help.

Much love to you. xoxo

Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2574 on: Yesterday at 07:46:52 PM »
Hi Suely,

I'd have to go through my big containers of BBM stuff to see if I have an extra copy or not. I used to have a lot of extra copies, but people asked for them and I mailed some of them to the people. So let me check (it may take some time as my time is not my own during the week due to overseeing my granddaughter's virtual schooling and most of my day is packed), and if I have one I'll mail it to you.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2575 on: Yesterday at 08:05:09 PM »
Suely, here is a PDF version of the ad that can be printed. You can either print it at home but it won't be as big as the ad in the Daily Variety from March 10, 2006, or you can take it to an office supply place and have it printed on larger paper and better quality. Just download the pdf address on a USB flash drive and take it and they will be able to print it for you on larger paper. I'll still look for the original Daily Variety if I have extra copies.

http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Downloads/Ad_Final.pdf

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2576 on: Yesterday at 08:07:39 PM »
Auntie to the rescue!