The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 421822 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2580 on: October 03, 2020, 11:17:53 AM »
^^^

I'm afraid I don't see the purpose of things like this.

It was cancelled due to COVID, but there was to be a production of 1776, the musical, this past summer at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, comprised of an “entirely female, nonbinary, trans, genderqueer company.”

WHY? Why would I want to see that?

Over the years people have wanted to do productions of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, with an all male cast or even the female characters as men in drag. Edward Albee would not allow any of that to happen. A friend of mine who attended something where Albee was appearing asked him about that and his reply was, "I didn't write it that way."

In the case of 1776, or Hamilton for that matter, history didn't write it that way and I wonder what Annie Proulx would think of this idea for Brokeback Mountain.

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #2581 on: October 16, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2582 on: December 07, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
One of the stories from TDS this week.

Revisiting: “Brokeback Mountain”

Elijah Robinson

In a country where heterosexual white men rule, there is a certain amount of privilege allotted to lower class white men. This goes back to Bacon’s Rebellion.

Virginia settlers teamed up with different groups of people to rebel against the British upper class. It was an attempt to get the upper class to recognize the interests shared across all classes of people.

As a response to the unrest, slave codes were strengthened, making unity and organization with Virginia colonizers near impossible.

You’re probably thinking: Why is this history lesson in a movie review?

For this instance, it provides a great set up for the exposition in the film. Two ranch hands, wannabe cowboys of the old west struggle make a living. They come from backgrounds that are breeding grounds for unstable masculinity.

Low income households, neglectful families, and constant reminders of their expandability as men, despite the makeup of the county making them look better than that.

Western films like “The Searchers” and “A Fistful of Dollars”, and male icons such as John Wayne, and Clint Eastwood represents the allure of the old west—independent strong white men as protectors, providers, and executors of justice.

https://buffstaterecord.com/14688/showcase/revisiting-brokeback-mountain/

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2583 on: December 08, 2020, 02:59:07 AM »
^^^ IDK how to take the full article.  It's being critical of the American Westerns / Frontiers, even the bible (noticed the no caps), so while the writer's intent is most clear (I think) to me , the bulk might be lost-in-publication.  V.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2584 on: December 09, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
"Why 'Brokeback Mountain' still stuns 15 years later, as a universal love story and LGBTQ triumph"

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3851729001

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2585 on: December 10, 2020, 02:53:24 AM »
^^^ OH WOW I had forgotten 09 Dec 2005... how could I not have that date cemented in my memory.  IDK maybe it is b/c the film only arrived here in mid-January 2006?  Nice article which reflects on the message. Thanks for posting!

""Brokeback Mountain," which arrived in theaters on Dec. 9, 2005, still stuns as a universal love story trapped in an unforgiving, hateful time. Director Ang Lee's film is also worth watching again and again to witness the importance of not merely tolerance, but unquestionable acceptance. "

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2586 on: December 10, 2020, 11:44:39 AM »

Always nice to see BBM remembered and not forgotten!

It's also nice to personally remember the excitement for us who anticipated and then appreciated and then loved this film step by step those first months it was released! It's rare to have such intense movie experiences that last.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2587 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
Ah yes,  the 15th anniversary of our film!

:)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2588 on: December 10, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
Ah yes,  the 15th anniversary of our film!  :)

I'll put this on my calendar.. as I have the reminder for the "started filming date..."  V.