The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 435151 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2595 on: March 16, 2021, 06:14:20 PM »
Yeap... BBM losing to the film that shall not be namee, will be one of the Academy's darkest and worst moments which they will never live down.  In many ways, it will always be immortalized.

"The win is often remembered as one of the Academy's "biggest mistakes," with the film's depiction of race relations considered now more than ever to be outdated and based on stereotypes. The film's director Paul Haggis even considers the film to be unworthy of the honor."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2596 on: March 17, 2021, 11:32:45 AM »
Keep reading to learn more about some of the most highly criticized Oscar wins, and how they've aged.
https://www.elkharttruth.com/lifestyles/entertainment/15-controversial-oscar-wins-and-how-they-ve-aged/collection_026264ab-ee1f-550e-a896-593060d1506a.html#2

Although he's right about BBM's year, take articles like this with a grain of salt, I always say.

The article did talk about the highly criticized Oscar wins, but not so much about how they've aged for most of the choices.

A lot of movie articles like this are written as fact, but we have no idea where the supposed "facts" come from. Know your sources!

For example, in the awarding of Out of Africa Best Picture he writes, "Even today, critics are baffled by how "Out of Africa" took the top spot that night, especially over Steven Spielberg's adaptation of "The Color Purple."

No one was "baffled that night." Out of Africa had been awarded the majority of all the Best Picture prizes that year before the Oscars and it was the front runner on Oscar night. And of the major critic's groups that award Best Film prizes that did not choose Out of Africa, the L.A. Film Critics, for example, chose BRAZIL as Best Picture and the New York Film Critics chose PRIZZI'S HONOR. In fact, The Color Purple didn't win any of its nominations. So saying "especially over The Color Purple" is from the current woke perspective based on the idea that it wasn't awarded because of racial bias or animus. The Best Picture nominees that year were also all quite good. At the time, my favorite was WITNESS, but over the years I've gravitated more toward KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN. Of course, most of the United States' favorite film that year (and STILL a favorite) was not Best Picture nominated: BACK TO THE FUTURE!

And about another controversy he writes: Hattie McDaniel was only allowed into the ceremony upon the intervention of the film's producers. Even then, McDaniel was seated away from the rest of the creative team at a segregated table, making this historic win also an example today of the ugly racial history of the country.

Not true: Hattie McDaniel had an invitation to the awards that night. I think the author gets his info from the HOLLYWOOD mini-series which has Hattie stopped from entering the awards while someone says they might let her in if she wins. That was also bogus because many in the audience, including Hattie, already knew she'd won. Yes, segregation was in practice back then...the author says she sat at a segregated table. I'm not sure what that means, but she was sitting with some white men.

Source: From the biography by Jill Watts called "Hattie McDaniel: Black Ambition, White Hollywood" (Harper Collins , 2005): "Additionally, Hattie McDaniel, became the first African-American to attend the awards ceremony. But there was another first in store. The word was out. The Los Angeles Times, privy to advance information, had leaked the names of the winners in its late edition. Many of those gathering already knew what the ceremony would only make formal--Hattie McDaniel would be the first African-American to win an Oscar...Cameras flashed as she made her way to the ballroom, exquisitely dressed in a tasteful, rhinestone studded aqua blue evening gown, white ermine jacket and a beautiful corsage of white gardenias. As she entered the Coconut Grove and made her way to the table, the crowd of almost 1,700 members of the Hollywood film colony broke into a resounding applause. She and Yoder were seated with a white man (possibly William Meiklejohn, or one of his representatives), at their own table, placed at the periphery of the room but near the stage where the awards would be given. Even on this evening of Hollywood firsts segregation remained the rule...But Variety reported that she was so overcome that she left the speech at her seat. The oversight allowed McDaniel to speak on her own. Instead of delivering the speech prepared by Selznick's staff, praising the producer, the actress, with the help of Ruby Berkley Goodwin, had worked up her own remarks. Although they were hardly revolutionary, they did not belong to a white writer."

I like sources on articles written about Oscar awards because so much of them are usually a mix of gossip, facts and assumptions. And this stuff perpetuates false notions. Example: He writes about Green Book, that it "had already received extensive criticism before the Oscars rolled around. The family of Ali's character, jazz pianist Don Shirley, condemned the film."

Actually, what Don Shirley's family had condemned is the fact they were not consulted. The family felt they were entitled to some kind of money and they didn't get it and so they began bad mouthing the film. So did Spike Lee, because, well, he's Spike Lee and his film was in competition. Shirley's family began spreading the word that Don Shirley was not friends with Nick Villalonga as the film portrays. That notion might have stayed around with some people if someone hadn't found an old documentary where Don Shirley was interviewed and says on film that he and Villalonga were good friends.

I could go on about a couple other things the author writes, but what he said about BBM is accurate and I know a thing or two about that!  Heh!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2597 on: March 24, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »
100 Best Western films of all time, according to critics

By: Jane Garfinkel - 03/24/2021

For decades in America, the most popular movie genre was the Western. Audiences loved gun-slinging sheriffs, dashing outlaws, thundering cattle drives, horseback pursuits, and majestic landscapes. More Westerns were produced in the 1950s than all other movie genres combined, but while they have attracted smaller crowds since then, they still have a persistent appeal.

Early Westerns set the standard with cowboys played by the likes of Gary Cooper and John Wayne, and spaghetti Westerns, products of the Italian film industry in the ’60s and ’70s, starred box-office draws like Henry Fonda and Clint Eastwood. More recent Westerns have been romantic and thoughtful like “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” “Dances With Wolves,” and “Brokeback Mountain.”

Stacker compiled the 100 best Western films of all time using data from Metacritic, a site that collects reviews from respected critics and uses them to determine the average rating. Whether you’re a longtime movie fan checking in on your favorites, or new to the genre, there are films on this list for you.

https://www.wtnzfox43.com/story/43545457/100-best-western-films-of-all-time-according-to-critics

Ang Lee is on twice (Ride With The Devil  & Brokeback Mountain) and Michelle Williams has been in two of the movies on the list (Brokeback Mountain and Meek's Cutoff)

Offline frokes

• Obsessed
« Reply #2598 on: March 27, 2021, 04:24:40 AM »
Hello! I do not know where to post this but I just read that Larry McMurtry passed away on March 25th at the age of 84. The New York Times had an article about this on March 26th: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/books/larry-mcmurtry-dead.html
“An affair with the G train,” he smirked into the floor, his eyes filling with tears. - The Bellwether

"Jack felt D hard beneath his hand. He leaned his forehead against D’s again. “You feel it,” he whispered, barely breathed, not really a question." - Zero at the Bone

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2599 on: March 27, 2021, 08:30:34 AM »
Definitely a great loss. Thanks to him for BBM and also for Lonesome Dove, one of my favorites.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
  • WHERE THE BLUEBIRDS SING & THERE'S A WHISKY SPRING
« Reply #2600 on: March 28, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »
R.I.P. Larry McMurtry (1936 - 2021), co-screenwriter of BBM and author of two of my favourite books, Terms of Endearment and Lonesome Dove, among others.  My condolences to his family and friends.
That's all we've got. I hope you know that.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2601 on: March 28, 2021, 06:08:55 PM »
R.I.P. Larry McMurtry (1936 - 2021), co-screenwriter of BBM and author of two of my favourite books, Terms of Endearment and Lonesome Dove, among others.  My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Larry McMurtry.  Thanks for cowriting the excellent screenplay to Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain" (2005) that film wouldn't have been what it was without your creative input.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2602 on: March 28, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
100 Best Western films of all time, according to critics

By: Jane Garfinkel - 03/24/2021

For decades in America, the most popular movie genre was the Western. Audiences loved gun-slinging sheriffs, dashing outlaws, thundering cattle drives, horseback pursuits, and majestic landscapes. More Westerns were produced in the 1950s than all other movie genres combined, but while they have attracted smaller crowds since then, they still have a persistent appeal.

Early Westerns set the standard with cowboys played by the likes of Gary Cooper and John Wayne, and spaghetti Westerns, products of the Italian film industry in the ’60s and ’70s, starred box-office draws like Henry Fonda and Clint Eastwood. More recent Westerns have been romantic and thoughtful like “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” “Dances With Wolves,” and “Brokeback Mountain.”

Stacker compiled the 100 best Western films of all time using data from Metacritic, a site that collects reviews from respected critics and uses them to determine the average rating. Whether you’re a longtime movie fan checking in on your favorites, or new to the genre, there are films on this list for you.

https://www.wtnzfox43.com/story/43545457/100-best-western-films-of-all-time-according-to-critics

Ang Lee is on twice (Ride With The Devil  & Brokeback Mountain) and Michelle Williams has been in two of the movies on the list (Brokeback Mountain and Meek's Cutoff)

It's nice to know that Ang Lee and his theatrical film adaptation of "Brokeback Mountain" (2005) are acknowledged as notable contributions within the Western film genre.  I can still remember all that controversy about "the gay cowboy movie" because Lee's film challenged the rather stereotypical notion of the cowboy being this gun-slinging hero who smokes and drinks alcoholic beverages like crazy, and always manages to save a pretty woman from being hassled by an overweight bully looking to overtake a small town, or is kicking the shit out of "savage" Native Americans?  Ang Lee's film also helped portray cowboys as everyday people who work hard, some who have very little education and who generally don't have as many financial or material resources at their disposal.  They're just trying to make a living. 

The film challenged common notions concerning masculinity, the American West, homosexuality, working women, marriage, and unfulfilled desires and dreams.  The movie never provided any real or easy answers to its questions, and leaves much up to the viewer's own imagination.  I think that is part of its appeal.  It was so important to the LGBT community because it portrayed two gay men in a way that hadn't been seen before, or at least very rarely.  They weren't Broadway musical-loving, effeminate crossdressers who obsessed over Judy Garland who never seemed to have any sexual intercourse going on.  Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar are hardworking, struggle to get by financially and materially, at least until Jack gets a good-paying job by marrying into a wealthy family. Both guys are incredibly good-looking, masculine men who realize that the love of their life is another man but they live in a world and in a society that doesn't accept such relationships.  They feel lust for each other, yes, but they are in love with each other but they can't acknowledge that fact to one another, much less to themselves being so repressed and being told that their feelings for one another is "wrong" according to society's ridiculous standards.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2603 on: March 29, 2021, 03:35:23 PM »
Hello everyone.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

As you all know, Larry McMurtry recently passed away.

I have just posted the latest issue of TDS, which is dedicated in his memory.  Aside from a bio (taken from Wikipedia) I have also included two links.  One that links to a special post we had called "Meet The Creators" where he answered some questions posed to him, similar to the list Brian Linton would ask guests on "Inside The Actor's Studio".

There is also a list to the recently reopened thread we have for discussion on Larry McMurtry and his books.

Please feel free to read this special issue of TDS here  https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=49516.new#new and then drop by the Larry McMurtry thread, and let us know about your feelings to his works!

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2604 on: April 06, 2021, 12:42:47 PM »
Ang Lee to be honoured with BAFTA Fellowship

Ang Lee will be honoured with the BAFTA Fellowship at this weekend's BAFTA Film Awards Ceremony in London.

The 66-year-old director will be recognised for his contribution to film during the ceremony on Sunday (11.04.21).

Ang rose to prominence with the Taiwanese comedy trilogy 'Pushing Hands', 'The Wedding Banquet' and 'Eat Drink Man Woman' before making his English language debut on the 1995 adaptation of the Jane Austen 'Sense and Sensibility', which starred Dame Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant and won the BAFTA Award for Best Film.

Lee's other acclaimed movies include the martial arts flick 'Crouching Tiger', the ground-breaking love story 'Brokeback Mountain' and the epic drama 'Life of Pi' – the latter two films saw him win the Academy Award for Best Director.

Read the full story at https://www.film-news.co.uk/news/UK/85162/Ang-Lee-to-be-honoured-with-BAFTA-Fellowship

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2605 on: April 11, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Ang Lee receives BAFTA Fellowship

Ang Lee has won just about every award on offer – including two best director Oscars – and on Sunday received a BAFTA Fellowship, the organisation’s highest honour.

Accepting the award, he said: “I’m humbled to be counted amongst such brilliant filmmakers. It’s overwhelming.

“England has been particularly good to me in my career. Britain was the only market where The Ice Storm made any money.

“And of course, Sense And Sensibility, which was like a second film school for me – I could only communicate in short sentences.

“The comments I gave the actors were very concise, direct and honest. The casuals competing to see who would get the most rude remark from me.

“But my British colleagues were super-patient and kind to me. I owe so much to them because after Sense And Sensibility, I dared to venture into many other types of movies"......

Read the full press report at https://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/leisure/national-entertainment/19225664.bafta-fellowship-latest-honour-director-ang-lees-career/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2606 on: April 11, 2021, 03:30:46 PM »
Wonderful news about Ang Lee!