The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: BBM General Discussion 2  (Read 491252 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: BBM General Discussion 2
« Reply #2655 on: March 19, 2022, 10:47:20 AM »
^^^

I also love reading a lot of the comments on that one. (Not always the case in some comment sections that get hijacked.)

The video brings back the time to me when the movie came out and how exciting that was. We can forget about that sometimes.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2656 on: March 19, 2022, 10:51:25 AM »
^^^^^ Thanks Chuck. I responded to it over in the Affected Me thread.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2657 on: March 19, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »
^^^

I also love reading a lot of the comments on that one. (Not always the case in some comment sections that get hijacked.)

The video brings back the time to me when the movie came out and how exciting that was. We can forget about that sometimes.

Yes, you're right about that!   I can remember at a Brokie meeting once, we talked about how we could be at a different move, and the Focus Features logo and intro could come on, and we'd mentally go back to Brokeback.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2658 on: April 02, 2022, 02:05:39 PM »
Just found this video, but it was posted 4 months ago.

"Behind the scenes" of Brokeback Mountain filming.

I would assume this has been seen before, but in case it's new to anyone, I'm adding it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyTDWP6MvHM

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2659 on: April 02, 2022, 02:37:03 PM »
It's a new one on me, thanks!

Also this one about BBM locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcifZmvTokU

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2660 on: April 02, 2022, 03:00:26 PM »
Very cool, Fritzie!   Thanks for posting that!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2661 on: April 02, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
I posted a link about the Finding Brokeback website in the comments, as well as one to this Forum.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2662 on: April 02, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
^^^ TY for posting those two links!  I have not seen them before now. 

> The "Behind the Scenes" is a nice montage of clips made while shooting on the sets.  I'm glad it has survived. There are some really good takes though much of the dialog is difficult.  It looks like it might have been made with a VHS recorder in tandem on many of the sets.

> The "Brokeback Locations" is good to see references when comparing them in 2021 to the sites as they appeared both in the film then and have been documented on "Finding Brokeback" various years.  Studying these together helps understand the ravages of time but with a twist as the 2021 YT version is taken at a very different time of year - Winter.

> Many of the locations still exists but many have also closed due to COVID19.

Of them all, the "Twists homeplace" has fallen into terrible state since filming, and when the FB photos were made. Clearly, people have been "abusive" to the Twist homeplace - no doubt b/c it is abandoned and more likely because it's a "better known than most" location from the film.  Holes punched in walls, plywood torn off the entrances, water intrusions, plaster and lathing exposed and broken. 

However, uniquely, the corner where Jack saved his and Ennis' shirt remains. Clearly recognizable.  So is window Ennis raised and then sat at before he found the shirts. The cast iron radiator is a clear marker in that room. Much else is difficult. The stairs, the kitchen counters and window/door locations are clues to orientate yourself. 

Worthy of a viewing.  TY! and be sure to "Thank" the YT posters.  V.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:03:45 PM by gattaca »

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2663 on: April 20, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »
Some more links on YouTube to location shots, from Summer 2007.

https://ultimatebrokebackforum.com/index.php?topic=22685.msg1005912#msg1005912

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2664 on: April 21, 2022, 04:44:39 AM »
Fritz - TY for posting that link - I had forgotten.  Great collection!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2665 on: April 21, 2022, 05:02:03 AM »
Thanks Fritzie!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2666 on: April 21, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
So what's the feeling around this this BBM video backed by "Visions of Gideon"?   I did a double-take.  It's like my brain was trying to reconcile these and was struggling.  Thoughts?

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXwK3cS8AEg

Offline snails_and_oysters

• Virgin
« Reply #2667 on: April 21, 2022, 01:40:09 PM »
I hope it's okay to post this here, I co-host a podcast about bi/queer movies and we recently did an episode on Brokeback Mountain. We had a guest on who's a lifelong Brokeback fan and suggested sharing the episode here. I know the forum has rules against commercial promotion, but we honestly don't make much money on the show haha. We just do it because we love queer movies! If it sounds at all interesting, here's a link to the episode: anchor.fm/snails-and-oysters/episodes/Brokeback-Mountain-with-Michelle-Hsu-e1heif0

Sorry for the intrusion!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2668 on: April 21, 2022, 07:30:02 PM »
So what's the feeling around this this BBM video backed by "Visions of Gideon"?   I did a double-take.  It's like my brain was trying to reconcile these and was struggling.  Thoughts?

-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXwK3cS8AEg

I think I feel like you do Vincent. I watched it and then watched it again, and even as I was hearing the song and seeing the video, I kept seeing the video of CMBYN and not the BBM video.  It's when I hear the 2 note beginning of BBM, if I hear it in another setting, all I can see is BBM.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #2669 on: April 22, 2022, 11:01:12 AM »
I hope it's okay to post this here, I co-host a podcast about bi/queer movies and we recently did an episode on Brokeback Mountain. We had a guest on who's a lifelong Brokeback fan and suggested sharing the episode here. I know the forum has rules against commercial promotion, but we honestly don't make much money on the show haha. We just do it because we love queer movies! If it sounds at all interesting, here's a link to the episode: anchor.fm/snails-and-oysters/episodes/Brokeback-Mountain-with-Michelle-Hsu-e1heif0

Sorry for the intrusion!

Thank you for posting the above link!

I enjoyed the podcast and indepth discussion about this film. The 1HR+ discussion, based on your first viewing, is quite well done.  Many of us here have seen the film many, many times.  Your discussion captured several subtle and key emotional connections in the film. Overall, BBM already considered a "classic" film which for which there is no equal.  Eventually, it will be Lee's most remembered film.  A great way to spend an hour on a Friday afternoon!  V.

Here's the link above with a direct connect: https://anchor.fm/snails-and-oysters/episodes/Brokeback-Mountain-with-Michelle-Hsu-e1heif0