The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: "Jackie's Friends"  (Read 438575 times)

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
Re: "Jackie's Friends"
« Reply #870 on: January 25, 2008, 03:15:12 AM »
Thank you so much for your words Paula... they go a long, long way.
I was looking forward so much to having Jackie stay with me here on the Isle of Wight after the Oxford meet.
 I shall be there in spirit tomorrow as will everybody else who continue to marvel at 'our' Jackie. Your words have enlarged on our understanding and appreciation. My very best to you and the rest of the family.

Andy.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #871 on: January 25, 2008, 03:18:15 AM »
And by the way Paula - You are doing what we all do... Say we are going to bed and then staying here.... :-* ;D

Oh my God!  It's happening already!  OK- really... I'm going to bed now!!

Sweet dreams,

Paula ;-)

Same to you darling...

Wayne
X
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #872 on: January 25, 2008, 03:24:10 AM »
And by the way Paula - You are doing what we all do... Say we are going to bed and then staying here.... :-* ;D

Oh my God!  It's happening already!  OK- really... I'm going to bed now!!

Sweet dreams,

Paula ;-)

BWAHahahaha...oh God....Paula..you're one of us now!!!!!!!!!!!!!  it makes me sooooooo happy and Jackie is giggling right now,I just know it!!
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
« Reply #873 on: January 25, 2008, 03:25:05 AM »
Paula - thank you so much for your wonderful words. 

It means so much that so many of us this side of the Atlantic will be able to say a proper goodbye to Jackie. 

Thank you.

Sarah, in England
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:38:56 AM by bbmbliss »
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline gres

• Obsessed
  • An eye for an eye will make us all blind. M.Ghandi
« Reply #874 on: January 25, 2008, 03:25:56 AM »
If you're not able to attend, we understand.  We know that Jackie is in your hearts.  We know that we're in your thoughts and prayers.  We also understand that, in the real world, people can't always drop everything to fly across the world, country, state.  Airfare's not free; bosses aren't always understanding with time off; children can't be shuffled off to 24-7 daycare; obligations still have to be met.  Whether you're here or not, we know that you care, and Jackie does too.  No matter what time of the year, whether it be this weekend, or October of 2012, our doors are open to you.  Like I wrote earlier, I think of you all as part of my family that I know, I just never met in person.  I know Nellie already told you that we know that Jackie would want her ashes to be on Brokeback Mountain.  I know that there's been debate over which mountain?  When to do it?, etc...  Honestly, we figured that we'd ask for you, collectively, to decide which mountain- the movie mountain, or the one in Wyoming.  We also know that she wanted so desperately to go to London in June.  Nellie said that there is already a plan for some of the group to go to the mountain in late spring/early summer.  Since the mountain is surely iced and snowed in right now, and since there's no "expiration date" on Jackie's ashes, I'm sure that she would be thrilled to be there when the already-scheduled trip is to take place.  But, she would've been torn over which place to go-- the Mountain or London??  Well, she can go to both.  We can have half of the ashes go to the Mountain, and the other half go to London.  That way, she won't have to decide, and sacrifice one to attain the other.  She can finally be two places at one time.  Also, two separate groups of friends (and maybe some doubling-up) can be with her, and have a services for her, without having to travel to the other side of the globe to do so.  

((((Paula)))),

i'll lit a candle for beloved Jackie this weekend. And i'm planning to be in London in June so i guess i'll "meet" her there since she so wanted to come in Europe and meet her friends from the other side of the Atlantic ocean.
It is me, baby Gres and i'm in bed sleeping...that is why mom is around doing  some foruming  ;D

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #875 on: January 25, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
dear paula,
i read your lines this morning, and i'm in tears. i'm martina, from austria. i've never met jackie in person, i wasn't able to attend the US gatherings. this june would have been the first time jackie and i would have met in person. but that doesn't mean that we didn't "meet" - i can't count the numbers of hours we've chatted...they were so precious to me. like for so many others here, jackie was the older sister to me that i never had and always wished to have.

your graciousness is bigger than anything we could have hoped for..thank you from the depth of my heart.
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline bradINblue

• Expert
  • "We're the lucky ones....."
« Reply #876 on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:22 AM »
Paula, it's Brad. I cherish the patches and the t-shirts and our great conversation on the phone. I more than cherished Jackie, for she was the sister I never had. Thanks for that wonderful post. I, too, found smiles through the tears.

B
'The maker keeps making, but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.'

Offline bradINblue

• Expert
  • "We're the lucky ones....."
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2008, 03:49:10 AM »
I first came to this Forum through my writing and Jackie was one of my first encouragers, and we exchanged a few PMs back in the summer of '06. It tickled me to see her avatar as she looked like my toughest college writing teachers; I think she got a kick out of that when I told her.

Due to personal circumstances, I was never able to participate in any of the Forum get-togethers and so I never got to meet her in person, but I know she came to mean a great deal to a couple of the few members I did become close to, and generally seemed to be held in high regard by folks who otherwise seemed to have little in common, something that to me speaks highly of a person's character.

By last autumn, I had pretty much faded away from the Forum altogether, but, though it had been over a year since we had exchanged PMs, she still took the time to remember me and send me her good wishes for a happy Thanksgiving.  It was a tough time for me, with a lot of family and health issues occupying my mind back then, often a couple weeks going by between me checking in here.

I'm ashamed to say Jackie's PM fell by the wayside and I never got around to responding.  I had no idea she was even sick, and must of thought in the back of my head I'd get back to her when I made some more progress on that chapter I owed her.  As it was I discovered the sad news of her passing too late, and purely by accident.

I will always bitterly regret not taking those few minutes to remember someone who had kindly remembered me, ironic considering what brought us here in the first place was a tale of regret and no second chances.

Dear Lady, I never knew you in this life, and now I never will. Forgive my stubborn pride. I know you would have and you do, and that makes it hurt all the more.

Rest in Peace.

AJ

It amazes me that Jackie impacted so many people everyone. You, friend, are a prince. Thanks AJ.

Brad
'The maker keeps making, but I finally broke through. I love you Steve.'

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2008, 04:19:15 AM »

Before she met all of you, she was living her life, going through the motions, not really living up to who she could be.  After she met you, she became that woman; she blossomed.  You see, you never took her FROM us at all.  As it turned out, you gave her TO us. 

Thank you Paula!

Now this train ride is starting to make sense.

Offline MaineGirl

• Lighthouse Lady
  • Obsessed
  • Be gentle with yourself...
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2008, 04:53:18 AM »

Before she met all of you, she was living her life, going through the motions, not really living up to who she could be.  After she met you, she became that woman; she blossomed.  You see, you never took her FROM us at all.  As it turned out, you gave her TO us. 

Thank you Paula!

Now this train ride is starting to make sense.

I will add my thanks to all the others, Paula!  I never had the pleasure of meeting Jackie in person, but she touched me with her kindness here and I cherish that. 
My thoughts are with you and your family at this time..... 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:04:14 AM by MaineGirl »
"It is no accident that we all lie nestled together in the curves of the universe.  We are tugged by the forces of the celestial tides.  Time folds in on itself and outward again in gladness as we spin around, each of us an utter miracle in a sea of tiny white stars."  Jamien E. Morehouse

Offline Tigs

• THE Cowntess
  • Obsessed
  • The Cowntess and The Girls!
« Reply #880 on: January 25, 2008, 04:58:28 AM »
Thanks for that wonderful post Paula.

I was lucky enough to meet Jackie in Texas, we both stayed at Linda's house.

I cannot make the gathering on Saturday (although I really wish I could), but will be there in spirit.

Sal  (in UK)     ;D
Throwing cows over hedges!!   "Crazy Cat Lady" - MF!!!   I am a toilet!!

Offline Miaisland

• Lady of the midnight sun
  • Obsessed
  • Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #881 on: January 25, 2008, 05:01:56 AM »
Thank you Paula!

My warmest thoughts are with you all!

Mia from Sweden.
“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
  • Go ahead, make my day...
« Reply #882 on: January 25, 2008, 05:08:04 AM »
Paula
That was beautiful. There is an older man way down here in Australia just wishing he could have met Jackie in person and wishing he could be there on Saturday. You will be in my thoughts. Saturday is, of course, impossible but there was one crazy moment today when I wondered if I could find the funds to fly to Denver in 2 weeks. I could but as I have appointments the following week, I would have to fly straight home again and that would be ridiculous especially as I hate flying. Instead I will just have to continue looking forward to meeting some of the group in Europe in April/May and perhaps I can find the money to travel back and spend time in the USA in 2009. Nearly 2 years since I joined this forum and although I have hardly met any of you in RL, I feel you are all my friends. That is the magic of Brokeback.

We will soon be meeting each other, Brian.  I'm looking forward to having a great talk - and of course reminiscing about Jackie.

:)

Offline Tammy

• Banned
  • Obsessed
  • Go ahead, make my day...
« Reply #883 on: January 25, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
Dear Paula,

Thank you for your wonderful post.  I'd like to echo the words of others here - I'm so very, very happy to know that Jackie understood how much she was loved and cherished here.  I'm sending you my warmest regards, deepest sympathies, hugs and much love during this very difficult time.

This forum isn't the same, and will never be the same, without her presence.  I see the hole she has left every single day, but it's a tribute to her that her spirit lives on in all of the peopl here who love her and miss her very much.  She changed my heart, for the better.

I wish I could be here this weekend, but being in Sweden makes it impossible.  I will most definitely be at the Oxford gathering and I can't even begin to describe how touched I am that part of Jackie will be coming to us there.  I only wish it could be in much better circumstances.

If I can be of any help with anything, please be sure to contact me.

With warmest regards,
Marleen

Offline conny

• seagirl
  • Obsessed
    • forthejoyoflife
« Reply #884 on: January 25, 2008, 05:47:05 AM »
Paula thank you so much for your post. it made me cry and smile at the same time
jackie was the first of our forum i saw when i arrived in texas and i`m so glad i took the opportunit to talk to her right before new years eve. She was very tired and we only talked for a couple of minutes. But to know that i told her one more time how much i loved her and cared for her is giving me faith now.
There1s no way i could make it from the netherlands this weekend, but you guys are so sweet to do all this for us and jackie!!
I will be in Oxford this summer and was so thrilled to hear that part of er ashes will be there then too and so will she!

hugs
conny
"we are one,but we are not the same"   U2