The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Musical Score  (Read 407536 times)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
Re: The Musical Score
« Reply #1080 on: September 20, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »
Jeez!  The only one of these I heard in the movie wa "Truth in Lies."  I guess, the way things are done these days, the Raven Shadows probably had a small run of CDs produced with that on it, but nobody paid much attention.  I believe the Raven Shadows are (or used to be) Ric Gonzales's band, he (as you pro'ly know) being a pal of Santaolalla  Maybe you could get a contact address for Gonzales's agent, and then write Gonzales to ask where you could find Raven Shadows stuff?  Of course, if you are in L.A., and know people at weird little record stores, they can tell you all that, immediately.  But then, if you were in that situation, you would not be here asking, would you!
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1081 on: October 09, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
Oscar-Winning Musician Gustavo Santaolalla Talks Artistry

Argentine musician Gustavo Santaolalla is the Academy Award-winning composer of the score for the 2005 film Brokeback Mountain. Santaolalla, an eclectic musician, produces everything from techno tango to albums for the Kronos Quartet. Santaolalla stopped in the studio to talk to Michel Martin about his career and his latest project, Bajofondo Mar Dulce.

MARTIN: I mentioned that, you know, I mentioned that many people will know your work from "Brokeback" but, of course, you have second Academy Award for "Babel." And I wanted to ask, when you're composing for film, how does that work; and is that different from when you're composing for...

Mr. SANTAOLALLA: For using records or?

MARTIN: Yeah. Yeah.

Mr. SANTAOLALLA: Yeah. It's absolutely different in a way and yet, you know, it's always, it comes from the same well, let's say. You know what I mean? It's connecting with that thing that is very hard to describe in words. But the disciplines are very different you know, in format. In the film work, I love to work mainly from the script and from talking to the directors, so a lot of the music, big portions of the scores that I've made have been composed before the movies were even shot.

I mean the biggest example of that is "Brokeback." I mean the whole score of "Brokeback Mountain" I did before the movie, before they even shot one frame.

Transcript and audio on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113609791

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1082 on: June 11, 2010, 10:32:13 AM »
Tony Peluso, Carpenters Guitarist and Motown Producer, Dead at 60

Tony Peluso, who played lead guitar with the Carpenters before becoming a successful producer, died on Saturday, June 5 in Los Angeles of heart disease, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Peluso, 60, was a four-time Grammy winner who made an impressive mark on the world of pop music, performing and producing on records that, in total, sold in excess of 150 million copies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1992, he and Latin artist Santaolalla helped define the Roc en Espanol genre. Through this affiliation, Peluso was later tapped to produce the 'Brokeback Mountain' theme song 'The Wings.' Peluso is also credited for producing and engineering records by Kenny Loggins, Seals and Crofts, Apollonia, Animotion, Stephanie Mills, the Fixx, Ricky Martin, Café Tacuba and Boyz II Men with Selena, among others.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/06/11/tony-peluso-carpenters-guitarist-dead/

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1083 on: June 29, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
Santaolalla works in slightly similar way as the projects he has worked on were either completed by the time he came on board or were only at the script stage when he began composing. He explained that his approach to creating music for a film is to go simply off the emotion of the story itself. He composed all the music for BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN prior to filming, which allowed director Ang Lee to play the music on set for the actors to help them get in the emotional mindset of the scene. Santaolalla prefers minimalist music and hates when music manipulates the emotion of a scene. Although he wrote specific cues for certain scenes in BROKEBACK, he was not sure where Lee would end up placing them (although he ended up agreeing with Santaolalla and used the majority of the cues as Santaolalla had originally intended).

http://gordonandthewhale.com/laff-2010-coffee-talk-composers/

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #1084 on: June 30, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
This was fascinating to know, John.  And I am sure that hearing this beautiful music helped Heath, Jake, et al as they prepared for their scenes.  Just hearing those first six notes on the "Ennis & Jack theme" would do it, I'm sure!

A great marriage of composer and director.

HOW IN HELL COULD THIS SUPERB MOVIE NOT WIN THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR?

Now I need to go take an Excedrin.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1085 on: June 30, 2010, 05:58:04 PM »
John, the link you just posted comes up as gobbledegook. Is it in code?  ;)
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1086 on: June 30, 2010, 06:00:01 PM »

It's working ok for me. I'm using IE

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1087 on: June 30, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »
Ok, it worked for me on EI but not Opera. Why can't things be straightforward?  :D
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline Goby

• Obsessed
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2010, 10:00:48 AM »

HOW IN HELL COULD THIS SUPERB MOVIE NOT WIN THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR?

You are right about this  >:(

Without exaggerating, this movie is the best I've ever saw (and probably will see). For me, BBM rises above the normal goal of a movie: entertainment. It means so much more to me.

Well, sorry I got carried away :o

Offline Jer009

• Obsessed
  • Jack and Ennis...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #1089 on: August 20, 2010, 09:15:04 PM »

Works OK in Firefox, too.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1090 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »
There's a TV show on right now on NBC.

Dateline.
The Desperate Hours
One woman's frantic battle to free her husband, held in a box in Mexico

I wasn't planning on watching it, but it started and within a minute or so I recognized the background music.

They're using some of the soundtrack from Brokeback Mountain here and there, not for the entire show. The story has nothing to do with BBM.

They don't use the music in the online version, but the broadcast version is definitely from the BBM soundtrack.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35781197/ns/dateline_nbc-international/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1091 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »
Boy, John, you sure are quick.  I was going to mention this! 
It was weird to hear it out of the context I've really only heard it in before.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1092 on: August 28, 2010, 03:08:58 AM »
Boy, John, you sure are quick.  I was going to mention this! 
It was weird to hear it out of the context I've really only heard it in before.

I never watch that show.

Tonight was the first time I've had the tv on in over a week and yes it was weird to hear the music in a setting where it doesn't belong.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1093 on: February 14, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
Contextual Soundtracks

Most people who saw Brokeback Mountain would agree that it was unlike anything they had seen before. The film’s soundtrack is equally as original. In fact, about half the album features an original, no-words score by Gustavo Santaolalla. Each track tells the story of the rolling hills and Western scenery that characterize Brokeback. Santaolalla’s “The Wings” is perhaps the most memorable, showcasing a powerful and utterly haunting guitar solo

http://www.cornellsun.com/section/arts/content/2011/02/14/contextual-soundtracks

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #1094 on: February 09, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »
I just found this video on YouTube. Gustavo Santaolalla plays a Brokeback Mountain medley.
The video was uploaded on YouTube on March 13, 2010, so some of you may have seen it already, but the music's still so beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXOMp9JfHY
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.