The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Weather phenomena  (Read 292485 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Weather phenomena
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:37 PM »
In the past 10 days here in Missouri, in particular north central and NE Missouri has had 8 to 12 inches rain in places.  So I took a road trip today to the Clarence Cannon Dam near Perry, MO, which holds the 55,000 acres of water that drains most of this area.  Had to take many back roads to get there, as many of the roads in the area are still covered from the most recent rain (over 3 inches) yesterday alone!  The gates to the dam have been wide open for four days now, and will be for many more.  At full release capacity, 78,000 cubic feet of water per second is being released.  Quite a sight to see, feel, and can even hear a mile away.  Here are six photos of what I seen.

8 to 12 inches?

Full release?

How did I miss this thread?

ETA: Regarding weather, we are just at the end of a heat wave here.  It's been in the high 80s in San Francisco, which happens occasionally at this time of year.  Now the marine layer has reasserted itself and we will be back down to temperatures in the mid-60s next week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_layer
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »

8 to 12 inches?

Full release?

How did I miss this thread?

LOL, now Michael, much like a politician, you are pulling things out of context here.  But I have to admit, 8-12 inches at full release is indeed a thread not to be missed.  ;D

But for the record, we had seven more inches last week (rain from the remnants of Gustav), not the seven inches Grace Slick sings about in Across the Board.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #122 on: September 07, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »
But for the record, we had seven more inches last week (rain from the remnants of Gustav), not the seven inches Grace Slick sings about in Across the Board.

Well seven inches is pretty impressive for remnants.  Go Gustav!

As you probably know we get no rain here in the summer (well...it's very, very rare and it's usually only a trace when it occurs).

Oddly enough sometimes hot weather is referred to as 'earthquake weather' - and, of course, there is no such thing.  But it has been hot here and we did have a 4 point quake just the other day.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »
Never heard a word about the quake on the news, but did see the discussion over in the Diner, and where Chuck had some Depends sent to him.  ;D

Guess geographically, we all have our own problems.  Here in the midwest, this summer it has been tornadoes and flooding. 
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »
Guess geographically, we all have our own problems.  Here in the midwest, this summer it has been tornadoes and flooding. 

I'm familiar with this as I grew up in Michigan.  One of my earliest memories is getting down on the floor of the family auto in a tornado as we were driving.  You're in the heart of 'tornado alley', correct?

Have they been worse this year than usual?

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »
Cool...a perfect place for this.

I just got power restored yesterday after having been without for 6 days. We experienced Cat 1 force winds here in the New Orleans area around 95 miles from the passing eyewall. I stayed in my house in the 'burbs for this one and have some pics and videos to share. All taken with my Canon S100 from indoors through double-paned glass (for the videos during the storm).

A Man Named Gustav

...the eve of the eve of his arrival...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:54:11 AM by BrokenOkie »
Honesty is such a lonely word...

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »
...and now the eve...

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:54:29 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #127 on: September 07, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:54:43 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #128 on: September 07, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:54:56 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #129 on: September 07, 2008, 10:25:41 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:55:10 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #130 on: September 07, 2008, 10:28:35 PM »
...the face of Gustav...

All of these pics occurred in less than ten minutes. This was the very first of the outermost bands, very narrow and well-defined.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:55:25 AM by BrokenOkie »

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »
These are some videos I took during the storm, trying to capture the continuous winds interspersed with the gusts.

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »
...another...

Offline bass51

• Obsessed
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2008, 10:40:17 PM »
...and another...