The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Weather phenomena  (Read 290360 times)

tonydude

Re: Weather phenomena
« Reply #900 on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »
  Still no reports on the massive tornado in Joplin, or none that give much information.  But one said 24 confirmed dead, and a complete destruction of the residential and business area.  This may be due to all phone lines down, and the reports of rescue efforts coming first. The town has about 45,000 people.
  There has been heavy loss of life in the last round of tornados, some weeks back.  I can't get a grip on whether this is worse.  Or even if it is still ongoing.  Yahoo showed a huge red blob over the Midwest, but what time was that?  
  I just hope this is poor news reporting and communications and not something much worse.  I wish the first responders well. And that damage is limited, despite what is, IMO, a very strange silence.

ETA: well, if I were to believe the time stated on that radar map, 10:30 pm EDT, the middle of the country is still being battered by heavy weather, all the way from the Gulf Coast to Chicago.  Maybe it's just heavy rain.  But am not going to stay up to find out.  Slow news reports may mean nothing severe, or could mean the opposite. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:50:03 PM by Tony5 »

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #901 on: May 22, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
It is mdinight now, and the situation in Joplin, MO is not good.  My best guess is there will be 60-100 deaths from this storm in Joplin alone.  The same vortex stayed on the ground for over 40 miles (at a mile wide) and continued to move through less populated areas to the E/SE.  So there will be additional deaths reported from the extended path.

With all electric and nearly all phone service to Joplin down at this hour, it is hard to get information.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20110523/D9NCUNSG0.html

Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #902 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
A significant number of tornadoes in Missouri late this afternoon, into the evening.  The first watch was issued around 1pm, and the first reported touchdown was west of my area about 100 miles around 3pm.   They moved through my area at about 5pm.  Further to the south (200 miles) the town of Joplin was devastated around the same time.   Here are four pics I took as the sirens blared just moments before heading to the basement.

That sky looks so ominous, Charlie.

I remember very well being in Joplin when I was a kid about 7 years old, traveling back with my uncle and grandmother from Colorado, to visit cousins in St. Louis.  My uncle was born not far from Joplin.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #903 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
My immediate neighborhood only had minor hail and wind damage from this storm, but other areas as close as a couple miles had much more extensive damage.   A couple hours later (around 7pm) went back outside and took these two.  Not sure what this cloud formation is called but always see it after tornado and hail storms.

Beautiful picture, ugly storm.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #904 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
This was on Yahoo! when I first brought up my computer on Monday.  Sounds very bad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110523/ap_on_re_us/us_midwest_storms
Jack's from Texas.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #905 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
This was on Yahoo! when I first brought up my computer on Monday.  Sounds very bad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110523/ap_on_re_us/us_midwest_storms

It is a terrible situation there Debbie.  I'm in contact with one of the first responders who is in the area, and sadly he says the number killed will exceed 100.

Huge thunderstorms at the moment here in Missouri again!
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline sjmarv

• Obsessed
« Reply #906 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:50 AM »
Greetings Weather folks. I usually hang around the slash groups in Discussion & Recommendations and LeBar. Donna suggested I post this report on this thread. I live about a mile from this spot in Minneapolis. It was a scary night here last night, but we got off pretty lucky:

Minneapolis Tornado update: 1 death, 29 injuries. So fortunate compared to Missouri, where tornado killed 89 so far and they are still counting.

DAVID BREWSTER ¥ dbrewster@startribune.com Sunday 05.22.11 Minneapolis - Aerials of tornado damage in north Minneapolis.
Photo: David Brewster

Susan
"And my favorite: O for a thousand tongues – Between The Sheets! That one reminds me of our last day at Don’s cabin, remember? HA! HA!" - from My Baby Wrote Me A Letter

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #907 on: May 23, 2011, 11:26:17 AM »
Here is a link from another fourm here at DCF that contains a lot of video of the Joplin event.

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/05/video-deadly-tornado-obliterates-joplin-missouri.html

Reports are coming in that people 40-60 miles away are finding possessions of destroyed Joplin homes dumped (from the sky) on their property!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #908 on: May 23, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #909 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
Here is a link from another fourm here at DCF that contains a lot of video of the Joplin event.

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/05/video-deadly-tornado-obliterates-joplin-missouri.html

Reports are coming in that people 40-60 miles away are finding possessions of destroyed Joplin homes dumped (from the sky) on their property!

WOW, Charlie. The dark video of the folks in the convenience store was the most scary. Just listening to them and not knowing. Really really devastating destruction.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #910 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
WOW, Charlie. The dark video of the folks in the convenience store was the most scary. Just listening to them and not knowing. Really really devastating destruction.

It's a fairly sad day here in Missouri.   Like myself, many of the people I work with have friends and/or family in the Joplin area; and today at lunch break hardly a word was spoken where normally the conversation is fairly lively.  I knew last night the dead would be in the dozens, but now it has went higher; and with an estimated 400 people still missing, it most likely will continue to increase.   17 people were recovered from the rubble today; most had serious injuries.

To make matters worse, we had another round of strong storms, really all day long, and tomorrow is forecast to be another super outbreak of tornadoes, especially in the western area of the state, and my area in the central part of the state by late in the day.

You know it's bad when NBC takes nearly the entire evening news cast covering the event.   Nightline (ABC) will be doing a story in about half hour.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #911 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:31 PM »
Fourth day in a row that we have had storm warnings and tornadoes in the state.   With the tragedy in Joplin, we are all just a bit edgy here in Missouri, and today was the worst yet for large numbers of tornadoes.   By noon it was certain there would be a large number of these killer storms as they were breaking out to the west of my area about 60 miles and moving east.  Many businesses (including my own) closed an hour ahead of the storms and sent all employees home.  Today was a wise move as the stroms were extremely strong.   The nearest tornado path today was east of my area about 4 miles.

Here are some pics of what things looked like from home between 2-4pm today.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #912 on: May 25, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #913 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #914 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »