The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Election 2008--CLOSED  (Read 878386 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Election 2008--CLOSED
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
OK folks, the primaries officially ended for both parties at 10 p.m. ET last night.

And on the same night, the second party locked up its nominee. So now we have the two contenders. The November election is nearly five months away.

So we are saying goodbye to the primaries thread and open up this new one for the general election.

Lots to discuss. All parties are welcome--meaning all members, for all persuasions and all parties, including Green, Libertarian, Social Workers, you name it.

Have fun.

d

p.s Try to have as much fun as we had in the primaries thread. It will be tough to top, but let's give it a shot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 03:20:45 PM by Dave Cullen »

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: Election 2008
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »
I want to welcome any new members and lurkers to this discussion, and thank everyone who made the last one, on the primaries, so much rewarding.

The best way I can do that, is by quoting this wonderful post from the wonderful appleone last night:

As the Dem primary appears to be coming to an end, I cannot say enough how much I enjoyed sharing the experience with all of you.  It was so fun to live through the ups and downs, . . . Here are some of my favorite moments on the thread (and please forgive me, but I cannot mention them all or everyone here.  These happen to be the ones that pop into my head immediately):

Dave's recounting his experience about when BO spoke in CO; Rosewood's first donation to BO campaign; Julie's recounting canvassing in OH and her change in politics from past years; Lyle's buttons and humor; Brokebacktom's expressions of angst and excitement (alternatively and, sometimes, simultaneously); Jack's explanation of anger at oppression; Graylock's calming energy when the rest of us are emoting; Marcia's joy at the NH results, Tellyouwhat's article in TX newspaper; blue-eyes listening to Rev. Wright's speech; doodler's "folks on the street" insights; the thread's primary fatigue; and most of all, the overall camraderie and respect that folks had with each other while talking about a taboo  topic that we feel passionately about - politics and the future of our country.

I hope to see lots more of that, and more.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
this is probably too insidery stuff for most people, but it's interesting to see major structural pieces falling into place for obama.

i also thought it's interesting that they've got special media teams devoted to youth, latinos and blacks. that's smart. i don't think that the stuff pitched at mainstream white adults necessarily works for everyone.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/06/obama_will_use_six_consulting.html
Less than 24 hours after securing the Democratic presidential nomination, Barack Obama is putting in place six teams of campaign consultants that will handle advertising, polling and direct-mail efforts for the general election campaign.

Much of the expanded structure is built on an existing core of consultants Obama has relied on throughout his primary bid, although the expansion is significant and includes many (although not all) of the up-and-coming firms on the Democratic side.

. . . Margolis as well as Jason Ralston (of GMMB) and David Axelrod (AKP Media) -- the trio has handled the vast majority of Obama's advertising to this point -- will continue to do the bulk of the production and ad-making.

. . . Three other firms -- SS+K, which specializes in reaching young voters and new media, Fuse, a St. Louis-based media firm handling much of Obama's advertising in the black community, and Message Audience & Presentation, a firm that does Obama's Hispanic media -- will also be involved in the creative team, which is known collectively -- although not that creatively -- as the Obama Media Team. (Obama also added Anita Dunn, a longtime party strategist and media consultant, to his team in early April.)

. . . Splitting the media consultants into teams focused on specific regions is an idea borrowed from the structure used to great effect in the last few cycles by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »
ELECTION 2008

CUE JAWS THEME --

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

She’s Still Here!
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: June 4, 2008

He thought a little thing like winning would stop her?

Whoever said that after denial comes acceptance hadn’t met the Clintons.

If Hillary could not have an acceptance speech, she wasn’t going to have acceptance.

"It’s never going to end," sighed one Democrat who has been advising Hillary. "We’re just moving to a new phase."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/opinion/04dowd.html?em&ex=1212724800&en=82513e4995f35fab&ei=5087%0A

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
When I saw on the news today how Hillary was introduced last night at her
speech--by Terry MacAuliffe proclaiming her the next President of the United
States, I knew Hillary was like Ann Miller telling her dresser in Easter Parade
before she goes back out on stage, "I'm not done, yet."

"What does Hillary want?" she mused, in her most self-aware moment
in some time. "I will be making no decisions tonight," she concluded, asking
fans to go to her Web site to share their thoughts.

I, for one, am going to her website and share some of my thoughts with her.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:58 PM »
To quote Barry Goldwater:

"America is the land where anyone can grow up to be President.
...except me."

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
The St. Crispin's Day speech is my favorite bit from Shakespeare.
Thanks Dave, for posting it earlier.
Perfectly glorious words for a perfectly glorious day.

I sent it out to the people I know who will celebrate with me.

Old Will knew everything.

As for last night.
It was thrilling.
I was overjoyed for Obama and his family and for us, our families
and this country.

When I think back, growing up in NYC, watching the civil rights
struggles and brutality on tv, then the assassinations
of the sixties...it is hard to believe that today has arrived.

Yes, "...we few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."
We will be remembered.
I'm glad I lived to see this day.

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
what is interesting, and is being noted by the blogosphere if not the MSM, is that the obama campaign is not pressuring sen clinton to give it up and get on board, her own supporters ARE doing so, and in greater numbers by the day, incuding some of her biggest, most powerful supporters and contributors, some privately, others QUITE publicly.

maybe smoke signals will get the message across. 
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
i hope the obama people and the clinton people can quickly figure out a way to steer the conversation about hillary into a constructive direction:

what role will she play on the team? and what role will bill play? is there a way to separate them and have them in separate roles rather than acting as a couple?

let's face it: like her or not, hillary is an incredible asset to the Dems. i'm not sure she'd be the best VP choice--though i'm warming to it--but there are lots of positions, most with more influence than that one.

i think she could be great for secretary of state, but bill's too big a problem there: world summits with a prez and first lady, and sec of state, that's the usual drill. and a former prez? that would seriously complicate matters, especially when bill started shooting his mouth off. who is talking for the admin.

she could be really good as secretary of defense. i think bill's not a problem there. would she be interested? maybe.

attorney general? i think she'd be fine, and it's a major position, but i'm not sure it's her main area of interest.

supreme court? i think that might be ideal. it's time for another woman on the court, she could be faithful to the cause of justice -- and no bill problem.

which brings us to bill. he doesn't have to be a problem. he's a huge asset, too. i think as the spouse of the VP or sec of state, he'd be massively in the way. but why couldn't he have his own job? i doubt he would take a cabinet position, but maybe some sort of senior advisor role. or bill for the supreme court?

or maybe bill is happy with the ex-prez role he has now. i have no idea. but i assume they are talking to him to see what he wants.

---

the problem with the media discussion is that by nature, all those sorts of negotiations tend to go on in private--as they should. so the media is not going to be privy, and they are going to be talking all sorts of nonsense--meaning discussing possibilities which are plausible, but all theories which will have nothing to do with reality.

i'm not sure how the obama and clinton people get the conversation onto constructive turf without giving too much away. but there's a way out there, and i hope they find it. fast.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »
The St. Crispin's Day speech is my favorite bit from Shakespeare.
Thanks Dave, for posting it earlier.
Perfectly glorious words for a perfectly glorious day.

thanks. romeo's two birds in the heavens speech from romeo/juliet is my fave, but st. crispen is right up there. any chance to work it in. hehehe.

but i really did hear that resonating in my head when i heard it. i'd love to know whether barack had it in mind and was intentionally riffing on it. i bet he did.

Offline desperadum

• Meli's Love Slave
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Tell you what
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
The NYTimes is reporting that Sen. Clinton will suspend her campaign and concede on Friday, following push-back today from party bigs (led by her fellow New Yorker Charlie Rangel) who were displeased with her speech last night and want the party to begin coming together.

I think Obama is smart enough not to offer her the veep slot and, quite frankly, I don't see her fulfilling any other cabinet post. And forget Bill. He is out of control, and I don't think he has any interest in contributing to the success of an administration that quite likely will succeed his own in significance. The Clintons are subserviant to no one, and have always put their personal interests ahead of any party concerns.

In her speech last night, Sen. Clinton invited feedback from supporters on her website while she decided what to do (after Obama had clinched the nomination) - but visitors to her website were only permitted to offer positive feedback, and then only when they contributed money first.

Unless she continues to whip them up by claiming the nomination was stolen from her, and as the result of sexism, I think the majority of her supporters will eventually come around. Whether she makes any effort to staunch the flow of bitterness remains to be seen.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
i just saw the obama's fist-bump photo.

i LOVE michelle.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »
I am just wondering if the two of them, Obama and Clinton, can overcome their acrimonious feelings towards one another after this marathon primary season. I think Obama could accomplish this more so than Clinton would.

Interesting article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604/ap_on_el_pr/a_dream_ticket;_ylt=AgXm.Z1dI1CjYOAF3gK4Jv5h24cA

My hope would be that if she is the VP selection, this would bring more of the Dems into Obama's fold. Short of that, as Dave said, maybe another position would accomplish the same thing. My feeling is that the VP position would be the only one that would bring the Dems back together and the most votes for Obama.

But trying to second guess Hillary is next to impossible.

I really was impressed and enjoyed Barack's speech last night. He had a lot of really great things to say. I did have to switch networks from ABC to CBS in order to hear the whole speech as ABC cut it off to let us hear the  pearls of wisdom from Stephanopoulos  :P.

I think it has been a smart move by Barack to get Carolyn Kennedy involved in the selection process.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
The NYTimes is reporting that Sen. Clinton will suspend her campaign and concede on Friday, following push-back today from party bigs (led by her fellow New Yorker Charlie Rangel) who were displeased with her speech last night and want the party to begin coming together.

I can't  see Hillary ever using the word 'concede'. I just don't think it is in her vocabulary. I was wondering of there was going to be any backlash from her speech last night. I'm glad to see that there is.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
Couldn't resist posting this: