The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 37024 times)

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2022, 03:50:22 PM »
Does the name Gordon Jenkins ring a bell? I bet it does, for a lot of you.

He was one of America’s best known band leaders and popular music arrangers in the early fifties (and maybe my favorite). At any rate, he had several smash hits, using little-known vocalists, one of whom was named Sandy Evans.

Jenkins and Evans recorded My Foolish Heart in 1950. I can’t explain it, but I fell in love with the song. I thought Jenkin’s one-fingered melody was inspired, and Evans uncluttered delivery was the height of sophistication. I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5auBqmY-U

But ya know, there’s an odd twist to this story. I have never seen a picture of Sandy Evans. I’d like to know what he looked like. Google and Bing link to a couple old recordings of his, but that’s about it. He sang a bit with Jimmy Dorsey’s orchestra, but that doesn’t help much either.

So here’s a challenge for you: find me a picture of 1950s singer Sandy Evans.

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #166 on: September 26, 2022, 08:00:47 PM »
Does the name Gordon Jenkins ring a bell? I bet it does, for a lot of you.

He was one of America’s best known band leaders and popular music arrangers in the early fifties (and maybe my favorite). At any rate, he had several smash hits, using little-known vocalists, one of whom was named Sandy Evans.

Jenkins and Evans recorded My Foolish Heart in 1950. I can’t explain it, but I fell in love with the song. I thought Jenkin’s one-fingered melody was inspired, and Evans uncluttered delivery was the height of sophistication. I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW5auBqmY-U

But ya know, there’s an odd twist to this story. I have never seen a picture of Sandy Evans. I’d like to know what he looked like. Google and Bing link to a couple old recordings of his, but that’s about it. He sang a bit with Jimmy Dorsey’s orchestra, but that doesn’t help much either.

So here’s a challenge for you: find me a picture of 1950s singer Sandy Evans.

~~~fia

I spent well over an hour looking and can't come up with one, but I do think one of the jazz archives might have one and I've sent you links to those in a message.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2023, 08:55:01 PM »
Iron Scrubber Painting Technique for Beginners / Acrylic Painting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3uz9geGVPI