The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Give us your ideas for future projects  (Read 51416 times)

Offline Redbrit

• Expert
  • Love all of the people
Re: Give us your ideas for future projects
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2006, 08:48:18 AM »
Hi All

Lots of good ideas on here. I'm not going to stick my oar in (just yet), but I thought I would post the following news from Moscow and ask if anyone can think of an appropriate response we might make? Even just a small donation from our funds (if we still have any left over  ;D) or just a message of solidarity - looks like those guys really need it.

"MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian police, militant Orthodox Christians and neo-fascists broke up a first ever gay rights march in Moscow on Saturday, but the homosexuals claimed their short-lived protest as a "great victory"."

The rest of the story is on the Reuters site. I tried posting the link but it's enormous - it's probably just easier for you to find it for yourselves.
"Are you like in love with him dude?"
"I...I've never been so sure of anything"

Offline broketrailer

• Getting Acquainted
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN MOVIE TRAILER AWARDS
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 08:02:35 AM »
Today is the last day to vote for the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN TRAILER!  We want to show our support for a marketing campaign that was not only brave and honest, but propelled a small arthouse film to blockbuster status!!

http://movies.msn.com/beacon/editorial10.aspx?ptid=20068f06-a376-4b82-b065-86be62fbe7ba

Thanks!

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
  • I'm not kissing you, I'm whispering in your mouth
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2006, 09:19:04 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I have an idea, a dream, if you will.  Please--all feedback is greatly appreciated.  Follow this link!!

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8690.from0#new

Thanks
"How many times do you have the chance to experience the love of your life?"
"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge

Offline megabrokebackfan

• Virgin
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »
I am working on lifting the ban in China(see below) and I thought I have posted the letter on one of your thread, I don't see it today, so I'll try again.  By the way, it's good to know that there's a good site for Brokeback discussion. 
Dear  Fellow Brokebackers:

I have recently written letters to President Hu and his staff at Chinese embassies in US and Canada urging them to lift the ban off the movie Brokeback Mountain.  However, my single voice will not have enough persuasive power, hence I am writing to you to see if you and your friends will also write to those embassies requesting the same. 

After hearing so much discussion about Brokeback Mountain late last year, I thought I should show my support to this film for breaking ground in whatever they purportedly were doing.  Little did I expect how much I had enjoyed the movie.  I was extremely happy that finally someone has made a truly great love story.  I watched it again and again, more than 50 times before it was taken out of cinema run.  Upon hearing many countries, including China, putting a ban on Brokeback Mountain, I was heartbroken.  I felt sorry for their citizens there not having a chance to experience Brokeback Mountain’s pure magic in a theatre and worse still, I would think that the director Ang Lee, being a Chinese, could be inspirational to other Chinese around the world, in China particularly. 

Of all the countries with the ban, I decided to target Chinese government because it wants to improve its public relations with the world before the Olympic Games; it doesn’t have religious polarization as in India; pirate DVDs have already been circulating and it is more economically and socially progressive than countries in Middle East.  As a general rule, those who work in North American embassies usually have closer relationship with the central government, and even the president himself.   

Of course, there are many big issues at hand that Chinese government should attend to or change.  But no sovereign government is willing to have its major policies influenced by outsiders.  We don’t expect China to change over night.  Such expectation is too drastic and unrealistic, even dangerous, just look at Iraq.  I am only urging China to undertake a small change in a minor but effective area, something that the Chinese government can easily understand and may even be willing to consider.

In North America, we have the choice to see it in a cinema or not depending on our beliefs, while in China, people are deprived of such a choice.  Censorship stifles originality and independence and it suppresses freedom of speech and thought.  It should only be applied to films of unsavoury content and of violent nature.  Brokeback Mountain has neither. 

Because embassy email addresses are always quota full, you have to write directly to embassies (515 St. Patrick St., Ottawa, Ontario K1N 5H3; 2300 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20008) or send an email to me, just mark “embassy letter”.  Copies of all emails will then be mailed to one or both embassies at the end of October. 

Yours truly,                                                                Ada Vaughan(casadeada@yahoo.ca)

:D

Offline jeffNOhio

• Getting Acquainted
December 9 is anniversary of US premiere of BBM
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2006, 11:31:11 PM »
Since brokeback Mountain premiered in the US on December 9, 2005, it would be great if theaters (especially smaller art-house ones) marked the anniversary on Dec 9, 2006 with special showings of the film. It isn't the same on DVD in ones home...this oscar winning film with its spectacular cinematography needs to be seen on the Big screen with an audience, as it was a year ago, to be fully appreciated. Perhaps if members of the Forum can provide theater names/addresses in their areas, Dave et al can send a letter or message requesting this special showing to occur. A master list of theaters that will show the film on this day will be posted here...so members can attend one close to them. In larger cities , such as New York, LA, or Chicago, an "introductory talk/discussion" that night regarding the making of this landmark film, can be led by a principal from the movie. It would be worth the trip to one of these 3 cities to participate in this event. What do you think? If you agree, we need to work on this soon, as the anniversary is only 2 months away, and theaters schedule films well in advance.

Jeff in Cincinnati, Ohio

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2006, 12:47:51 AM »
Jeff I love the idea.

I've actually been thinking of doing that at my theatre here in Bay City.

http://www.statetheatrebaycity.com/
I'm on the board of directors and I can get good discounts.

It would cost me $ 450.00 to get the film, and probably 150.00 to rent the theatre.
I don't know for sure that the film is available that day, but I will know this week for sure.

The only problem is that we have a film already booked at 7 pm that day, so it would have to be an afternoon screening.
I wouldn't be able to post it on the marquee, because the sponsor of the other movie has been promised the marquee for the weekend.

I'm willing to spend the money IF people will attend. I would offer the film free to forum members (donations would be welcome).

I can also offer a $ 49.00 room rate at my hotel if anyone wanted to stay the night.
Bay City is 100 miles north of Detroit.

So, unless there is a screening in Detroit, Chicago, or Cleveland, I would be happy to host an event here. If anyone is interested in attending, please PM me. If there's enough interest, I'll try to make it happen.

I'm also discussing another date (Feb 25, Oscar night) over in the 'Awards Aftermath' thread. And I know that the film IS available for that day and i have it reserved.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 01:20:55 AM by BayCityJohn »

Gonzo

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 06:23:46 PM »
Dave has an important announcement about the forum, which he asks all members to read:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18085.msg602098#msg602098

We have set up a thread to discuss the situation. That discussion thread is linked from the post directly below the message from Dave. Follow the above link and you'll get to both.

Thanks.

Offline jeffNOhio

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2006, 11:53:39 PM »
December 9 marks the one-year anniversary of the US premiere of Brokeback Mountain. We will never be able to create the anticipation and excitement of this date and the December 2005 subsequent showings throughout the US.

Does anyone know of any event(s) marking this anniversary. Also, does anyone know how to get any taped coverage of la/ny premier showings of a year ago? I know the Tonight show had coverage..how can I get that?

Any ideas on celebrating this anniversary?

Jeff

Offline ChrisFewa

• Expert
  • take a step back
    • My heart mind and soul
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2007, 07:53:58 AM »
I realize we are but a few, but I was just thinking about past deminstrations for human rights.

You have womens lib, standing outside the white house with signs for months...

You have the million man march...

I think we need something that big...it may be way beyond our abilities but I thought I would mention it.
Without wax,

Chris

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2007, 03:45:07 PM »
Hmmm. Thanks for the input, Chris. This little thread hasn't been very active lately, has it?

If we can start accumulating a little money from our Amazon and CafePress sales and from the book sales, then we might be able to come up with all sorts of interesting campaigns!

-KittyHawk

Offline ChrisFewa

• Expert
  • take a step back
    • My heart mind and soul
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »
lol ya true. I was just imagining being on a picket line in front of the white house...with millions of people it would be really cool.
Without wax,

Chris

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 06:12:06 PM »
Yeah, and all of us wearing your t-shirts! 

I can just see it now!!!  ;)

-KH

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2007, 06:18:06 PM »
The last big march in DC was in 1993. I wish there'd be another one, and we all could visit here!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline kula

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:32 AM »
Not much of a project, but Barnes & Noble has the short story paperback on clearance for only 2 bucks (or $1.80 if you join).  You can buy  and donate a book or two to a local library if they don't already carry a copy.  (If you want to save on shipping you can just stop by a B&N store instead)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?r=1&isbn=0641809875&endeca=1&z=y&itm=125

wyomen

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
Hi folks!

I have a project that might be of interest to some of you. Annie Proulx is about to publish a book on the history of the Red Desert of Wyoming. It is supposed to be out in November or December. She has been working with a group that is trying to keep oil drilling out of the Wyoming Range and the Adobe Town areas of Wyoming. We think we have an advocate in the Senate to stop the drilling in the Wyoming range but Adobe Town is still in danger. It is the last area of unspoiled land in the Red Desert. The area is home to wild horses, desert elk herds, antelope, pygmy rabbits and raptors. The present administration has given free rein to the oil and gas industries in this area. I really have a hard time watching the destruction. If anyone is interested then contact me or Biodiversity of Wyoming.